Author Topic: Wear it or box it  (Read 5182 times)

Offline samuelk

Wear it or box it
« on: December 14, 2019, 12:08:23 PM »
Hi guys,
a friend one day kinda asked should I be wearing my Rolex everyday all the time, and should I be looking over my shoulders. It doesn't actually occur to me till then. Well, what do you guys thing, should I go on wearing and enjoying it, does not matter if it gets all scratched up (not intentionally) or just box it?  8)

Offline G.MAC

Re: Wear it or box it
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 12:20:01 PM »
I would just wear it. It is a watch meant to be worn. The truth is the gap between a used watch with scratches and a pristine watch isn't that big when you sell to a grey market dealer hence there is no point to baby a watch thinking it can fetch a lot more when sold. Just wear it and enjoy it. Gotta be careful of robbers though.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 04:48:14 PM »
I agree with @G.MAC. Just enjoy the watch the way you like and not what other people think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Lk11

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 07:03:08 PM »
Wear it boss

Offline wingman7

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:26:57 AM »
Definitely should enjoy and wear it. No point to keep it in the safe. As a member here points out, not much a difference in term of pricing should you wanna let go next time, as long as you keep the full set.

Offline potassium126

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 05:14:04 PM »
Wear the watch like no tomorrow.

Offline Geneve

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 06:19:51 PM »
Wear it like nobody business. Unless the watch is super luxurious with high complication, perhaps just wear it during special occasion. But still up to your decision, this is just my thoughts and sharing.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 06:34:21 PM »
I remember reading article somewhere, if you can’t afford to buy two of the same watches at the same time, then you can’t afford the watch. I can’t agree more. So if you were to buy a watch which you deem “too precious” to wear and only bring it out during special occasions, then you don’t have a watch where you will enjoy. You only buy that said watch to show off...to bring you more grief than joy as you have to be sooooo careful every time you wear it. Afraid of scratches laaa. Afraid of it being stolen la...afraid, full stop! You buy a watch to wear, to enjoy and to create memories with. Watches are not investments, not show pieces and definitely not something “precious”. It’s a tool...maybe a statement as to what your lifestyle is and to further show your personality. Buy it, wear it, trash it and enjoy it.

Offline Geneve

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 06:47:42 PM »
I remember reading article somewhere, if you can’t afford to buy two of the same watches at the same time, then you can’t afford the watch. I can’t agree more. So if you were to buy a watch which you deem “too precious” to wear and only bring it out during special occasions, then you don’t have a watch where you will enjoy. You only buy that said watch to show off...to bring you more grief than joy as you have to be sooooo careful every time you wear it. Afraid of scratches laaa. Afraid of it being stolen la...afraid, full stop! You buy a watch to wear, to enjoy and to create memories with. Watches are not investments, not show pieces and definitely not something “precious”. It’s a tool...maybe a statement as to what your lifestyle is and to further show your personality. Buy it, wear it, trash it and enjoy it.
I couldn't agree more! Many people want to show but worry here and there. I used to be like that when first getting into watches, but I realized there is no fun if wear it so carefully. Since it will get scratches and hairlines anyway,  why not just wear it and enjoy it.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Offline axaxax

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 12:19:43 PM »
Also need to be practical. If you commute or frequent places where robbery is prevalent, then you shouldn't wear it less you know you will be safe.

Some people enjoy the collection process, or just the thought of owning it, or owning just to take it out from safe to admire the aesthetics of it, or even buying to mark a certain important date.

No point forcing yourself to wear. Best indicator is to lay out all your watches at dresser and see which watch would you reach out first in the morning without thinking.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 05:03:50 PM »
wear what you buy...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »

I don't think you should trash it eh...

Offline uncle_ray

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 02:07:49 PM »
This really got me thinking as well. I believe that a watch should be worn and enjoyed, regardless of how precious it is. Of course, take good care of it if possible (e.g. don't wear your Lange to the gym) but don't baby it to the point where you are constantly worrying about damaging it. Just be comfortable with the fact that all watches will DEFINITELY show signs of wear over time - there's no escaping it. Perhaps have a beater watch for the rougher, tougher moments. Life is too short to not enjoy it .

Then again, there are those who will comfortably swim in a Patek!

Sent from my SM-A507FN using Tapatalk

Offline exodus

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 11:35:52 AM »
Just wear and enjoy. Don't box it away. Scratches and dings are part of the wear and tear.

From a safety perspective of having to look over your shoulder, that's a seperate topic.

Offline forget-me-not

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 07:52:06 PM »
If you are afraid of unwanted attention, strap on a nato and wear it like no tomorrow.

Offline Varma8

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 03:09:31 PM »
Wear it. Give it the respect it was meant to have. It’s a tool watch at the end of the day. But yeah, if it feels too flashy, maybe the rubber b or nato strap would help subside
I like lots of watches but can only afford a few

Offline yehlai

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 12:06:01 PM »
Wear It Like You Stole It