Author Topic: Alain Silberstein iKrono Review  (Read 9688 times)

Offline peanut

Alain Silberstein iKrono Review
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »
I walked into Hour Glass this saturday and walked out with a Made in France Alain Silberstein blue ring iKrono which I have been aiming for the last couple of months!  This model comes in blue, yellow or red ring variations with total limited to 500 pieces.

Functions:    Hours, Minutes, Seconds, Date and Chronograph
Case: Black PVD titanium with anti-satin silicium (finger print proof)
CaseBack:    Sapphire
Bracelet:    Leather
Dial:    Black
Subdial: Chronograph
Hand Indicators: Luminous
Hour Markers: Luminous
Crystal: Anti reflective dual coating Sapphire
Movement: Valjoux 7750 Automatic
Date Calendar:    At 9 o'clock
Case Width: 47.5mm
CaseLength: 47.5mm
Case Thickness: 20.5mm
Water Resistant: 10 Bar

It comes in a very plain white paper box. 

Opened the box reveals the signature Alain Silberstein red-blue-yellow leather case (with the blue at the bottom - not visible in this picture).  Inside is a black plastic box with screw driver provided.  The documentation is quite sketchy with only 2 sheets of paper!  One is the warranty card and the other one is the User Instructions!  I cant't even find the watch specifications.

The beautiful Alain Silberstein logo

The (right) side view.  The stylish "Alain Silberstein" logo appears here.  I guess it is here because there is no place to put it on the dial.  The height of the case is about 20.5mm which is really tall.  The watch itself is not really big nor heavy (titanium) but it has imposing height.  Note that the leather strap is sandwiched by the square base of the watch.  You can actually uncrew the base, take out the strap and make this a desk clock!   ;D

The left hand side view.  The three buttons are of course in signature AS colors.  The colors are bright and happy inducing!  AS has cleverly rotated the Valjoux 7750 180 degree from "normal" set up so the buttons are on left side.  The start stop button for chronograph is now the yellow button at the bottom and the reset button is the blue on the top.  The crown is the red "triangle".  The case size and location of the start/stop button actually making the chronograph function a breeze to operate as compared to the normal Valjoux 7750 setup as you would operate it using primarily your thumb.

The dial is black.  It is a little busy due to Tachymetre, chronograph function and a Vernier scale on the second chronograph hand.  Despite this, the dial is very legible and easy to read.  This may due the size, anti reflective coating and good quality finishing on the dial.  The dial has a 3 dimensional look with the Tachymetre, hour/minutes markers and the main dial surface are at different levels.  The Vernier scale is unique and it can tell the accuracy to 2/10, 4/10, 6/10, 8/10th of a second.

The finishing for AS watches are top class and this one is no exception.  The dial is nicely finished.  Now we come to my favorite smiling faces!  You start with a sad face and sleepy eyes on Monday and progressingly becoming happier with smiles getting bigger and red in the weekend!   ;D   I feel happy just looking at the dial!
Note the details for the smileys from Monday to Sunday!

Here is the second "register"  :)  Again it has the signature AS shape (triangle, square and circle) and colors (red, blue, yellow)!  The finishing is again top class with good attention to details. 

The strap is made in leather.  Very wide with interesting buckle.  It is somewhat troublesome to put the watch on but the buckle held securely once locked.  The strap is different from normal strap so I have very limited (or none) customization choice when come to the strap.

The backview.  The Valjoux 7750 is clearly indicated here with no intention to hide.  It is probably one of the more expensive Valjoux 7750 watches!  It is also limited to 500 pieces.  Mine has very good double digits!  There are some decoration and finishing done but it is still basically a standard Valjoux 7750 so servicing should be OK long term wise.

Summary:  This is not a watch for everyone.  A person approached me and asked me about the watch.  After some conversation, he was very careful when he asked me about the price as he was not sure if it is worth RM100 or RM50,000   ;D   

AS iKrono is unusual and unique.  This is a very colorful and busy looking watch.  AS uses Red-Yellow-Blue subtractive primary colors which are used significantly in painting.  As such this is the watch that will catch the attention of people who appreaciate art/painting or understand modern color theory.  This is a mechanically solid as well as artistic watch.  See the watch and compare to Piet Mondrian's painting!  ;D

AS iKrono will standout among other watches.  It is is a good weekend watch because it won't fit under the cuff of most shirts.  Coincidentally, weekend is where the smiling faces appear anyway.  Despite its size, it is one of the most comfortable watches to wear.  As a daily watch to wear, it is actually tough against dinks or knocks.  My other watches such as AP RO, Seiko and Glashutte all have seen some minor scratches due to daily wear and tear but this one remains looking perfect since the day I bought it.  So this watch is not just all look but it is also very tough.

The lume on the watch is so-so.  Very subtle and not extremely bright.  This is not a key criteria for me when considering this watch.  I will add a good lume watch (Seiko SBGE001) for the next purchase!   ;D

The smileys are so cool and hard to beat.  It just put a smile on my face!  Due to the case height and bright colors, it is quite attention grabbing.  The price may be steep but if you look at the finishing, case materials and design/uniqueness, it is not so bad.  The accuracy of the watch is fairly good.  Typical of Valjoux 7750 movement - very reliable and accurate.  My experience in a few months of ownership tells me that the accuracy of this watch is as good if not better than any others that I have owned.  But then with this watch, who cares about accuracy!   :Laughing_on_floor: 

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:50:41 AM by peanut »

Offline takashi78

Re: Alain Silberstein iKrono - initial impression
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:18:57 AM »
Wow really good review, i wish i can articulate as good as you guys haha...even if i could i dont have the camera gear to take good pics.

I have been eyeing and AS watches for 10yrs or so now....his designs are instantly recognizable and will be design classics just like Ikepod or Ventura.

Still yet to find a good used one or able to afford one.

This model was just released at SIHH this year right?

Also its able to change straps?

Any wristshoots?

Offline peanut

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:53:32 AM »
Wow really good review, i wish i can articulate as good as you guys haha...even if i could i dont have the camera gear to take good pics.

I have been eyeing and AS watches for 10yrs or so now....his designs are instantly recognizable and will be design classics just like Ikepod or Ventura.

Still yet to find a good used one or able to afford one.

This model was just released at SIHH this year right?

Also its able to change straps?

Any wristshoots?

This is the latest AS.  Hour Glass just received it after Chinese New Year.  I think it is a 2009 model but AS is in financial difficulty so the 2010 catalog has not come out.  Coincidentally, Hour Glass Pavillion also carries the Ikepod now and the one I like (which is also the latest) the Horizon is a whopping RM55k with very little discount!  The AS is a much better deal in that sense!

The strap is a one piece leather which you need to open the square base to put in.  So I have no choice of other straps as this is also a unique design like the buckle.

The wristshot on the day I bought the watch  :Dancing_banana:
http://tamhk.com/mwf/index.php/topic,908.0.html

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:10:46 AM »
Oh yeah i know how the watch detaches, was originally gonna ask if you planning to get other AS strap combo  ;D

Looks like you are limited to AS straps unless you go the custom made route eh... :)

Wow the Ikepod watches really did go up in price.
I remember 10yrs ago i still could find some on ebay for like rm10k or less.

Offline peanut

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:39:16 AM »
I thought we have an in-house strap making sifu?  All I need is to buy a lot of drinks and learn from him how to customize the strap!  ;D  Actually I thought a rubber strap will be good for this watch too but I can understand why rubber strap wont work because it has to be sandwiched by the base of the watch.

Yes, for the price of an Ikepod Horizon, I would rather get a white gold Moser and Cie!  Of course you are talking about 2 entirely different watches but the Moser and Cie is good enough to make me forget about Vianey Halter or Lange and it is very good value for money and simply gorgeous!  Oh my gosh ... I ought to be a watch salesman!!!

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:30:33 PM »
thanks peanut for sharing...
very unusual watch .....dont read this kind of review always... :Cheers:

i am threading carefully to avoid getting poison...
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:08:26 PM »
good review....

this watch is tall....

the pvd is finger print proof... but is it harden?

Offline peanut

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:01:41 AM »

the pvd is finger print proof... but is it harden?
I am not sure but usually AS watches with PVD also incorporate DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coating.  All I know is that the PVD on this watch is the same as MB&F HM2.2 (which Alain Silberstein is the co-designer)!  ;D   I would like to mention that the PVD of my AS is quite different from other PVD - as an architect and artist, Mr. Silberstein also emphasizes the "touch" feel of the case.  It feels a certain softness to touch.

Offline xnizarx

• Freshie
Re: Alain Silberstein iKrono Review
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 11:29:43 AM »
nice nice nice watch...accept for its toy-version of Bell&Ross looks..but its nice

Offline peanut

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 03:51:46 PM »
Quote from: xnizarx link=topic=948.msg19976#msg199T76 date=1292567383
nice nice nice watch...accept for its toy-version of Bell&Ross looks..but its nice
Hahaha ... This is the first time I heard AS looks like BR. Design wise, personally I think AS is so much more interesting than BR with regard to innovativeness, color, case and hands. AS is considered as a top tier watchmaker! Its toy like look is not for everyone. But it appeals to people who appreciate creativity, good design and artistry. Due to its size, I usually wear this on weekend but it is one of my favorite watches: attractive, unique, fun and functional (accurate, legible, date, chrono, etc.)

I am not sure if I like BR. I would rather get a Panerai as I don't think BR will keep me interested for a long time
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:49:20 AM by peanut »

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 07:06:09 PM »
If anything B&R got inspiration frm AS.
AS has always had fun watches. I love his work.

Offline xnizarx

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »
AS is such a nice inovative watch..but for this model...err..its nice..but..damn BR! still cant take it off from my head when i look at this AS...i still wonder if BR would produce a donald duck-version of its BR01 line ups.. :Startled:

Offline darkduck

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »
wah........... nice !!!!!!

Offline peanut

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »
AS is such a nice inovative watch..but for this model...err..its nice..but..damn BR! still cant take it off from my head when i look at this AS...i still wonder if BR would produce a donald duck-version of its BR01 line ups.. :Startled:
I have to agree that the iKrono is a bit BR-ish but this is the instrument/machine look design wise.  However, it is not just just pure artistic design, it is actuall a very functional watch with silicium anti-stain (finger print proof) coating, great PVD/DLC, accurate, great legibility, lume, chrono with the throw-in fun of smiling faces, brilliant colors, etc.

Offline xnizarx

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »
yeap..i would agree...BR is such an over-priced watch..AS is far far more handsome

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 12:01:16 PM »
man i love the smiling face, others might thing it's a watch for kids if they do not know the brand  :laugh:
enjoy this cool watch  :thumbsup: