Author Topic: When 'cakap tak serupa bikin'  (Read 11361 times)

Offline G.MAC

When 'cakap tak serupa bikin'
« on: May 30, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »
After obtaining my grail sometime in January this year and did a review of it here,

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,7858.0.html

The itch to own a new watch was almost gone. It was truly satiated.....for 6 months. I was feeling bored and itchy so I made the mistake of going to my regular dealer to have a look. All I was thinking of was to see if I can find an interesting timepiece that could slip under the sleeves of my shirts. At first glance, there was nothing interesting there that pique my interest. So I made the grave error of asking," you have nothing else?" He answered in the negative. I went on to ask " what about anything interesting that is incoming?" ( right now, I was starting to dig my grave). He proceeded to list out the incoming and one caught my attention. In hindsight, I should just have turned and walk away but the fool within me just had to be funny. I asked for the price. When the price was mentioned, I was blown away. It was slightly out of reach but is affordable. I went back to sleep on the idea. I was a little uncomfortable with what I had to fork out. So I decided to skip it. Then the miraculous happened. I was told that I got a bonus coming for a job well done. If I moved a few of my lesser-worn pieces, I could actually manage it. The itch became unbearable but I still felt that it was not prudent of me to spend more money on watches. Then my dealer pulled off a miracle. He found the exact piece but it was a few months old and still under warranty. The price was also 3/4 of the original. That bit of news pushed me over the edge. So a few weeks back, I pulled the trigger. Lesson to be learnt by any newcomers or even senior members in this forum; even when you achieve your grail, there is never an end to it.

The watch in question?

The Vacheron Constantin Overseas 'Deep Stream' Chronograph

Preliminarily review, this watch is light ( maybe it is because of the titanium bezel or that it was due to the fact that I was previously wearing a DSSD) and wears comfortably on the wrist. The fit is just nice as it wraps around my wrist.

Wrist shot

Personal comprehensive review with more photos to follow suit in a few days time including pros and cons of the watch.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: When 'cakap tak serupa bikin'
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
wow, another holy trinity  :thumbsup:
From one glance, the sub dial hands are almost invisible.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:29:36 PM »
Stunning

Offline sean

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:30:41 PM »
Is always dangerous walk in to a watch shop, anyway congra on your new grail :Cheers:

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »
WOW!  :o

You're the man!

When you do the comprehensive review, please do include a side by side comparison with the Nautilus and also please do tell which is more comfortable on wrist. I do realise that the two are quite different, but can't resist to compare anyway.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Offline rusminag

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »
G.Mac,

You and JOS are in the running for "MWF's WIS Of The Year Award..." he... he...
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline Empty Tree 8

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 03:37:54 PM »
Congrats!!! ....... tryin to find a "green with envy" icon above....mods, can we have one with big green swirling eyes with a huge snarl??

Great job and very happy for you and hope it gives you many moments of joy.... :Cheers:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
sorry rusmin,
Thanks for your high opinion but unfortunately I'm nowhere near G.Mac or many others here in mwf's league... :'(
I haven't got a single PP, VC, AP, ALS..... :-[

G.Mac,

Congrats G.Mac... A PP followed by a VC.... AP is obviously the next followed by ALS.. :thumbsup:

After obtaining my grail sometime in January this year and did a review of it here,

The itch to own a new watch was almost gone. It was truly satiated.....for 6 months. I was feeling bored and itchy so I made the mistake of going to my regular dealer to have a look. All I was thinking of was to see if I can find an interesting timepiece that could slip under the sleeves of my shirts. At first glance, there was nothing interesting there that pique my interest. So I made the grave error of asking," you have nothing else?" He answered in the negative. I went on to ask " what about anything interesting that is incoming?" ( right now, I was starting to dig my grave). He proceeded to list out the incoming and one caught my attention. In hindsight, I should just have turned and walk away but the fool within me just had to be funny. I asked for the price. When the price was mentioned, I was blown away. It was slightly out of reach but is affordable. I went back to sleep on the idea. I was a little uncomfortable with what I had to fork out. So I decided to skip it. Then the miraculous happened. I was told that I got a bonus coming for a job well done. If I moved a few of my lesser-worn pieces, I could actually manage it. The itch became unbearable but I still felt that it was not prudent of me to spend more money on watches. Then my dealer pulled off a miracle. He found the exact piece but it was a few months old and still under warranty. The price was also 3/4 of the original. That bit of news pushed me over the edge. So a few weeks back, I pulled the trigger. Lesson to be learnt by any newcomers or even senior members in this forum; even when you achieve your grail, there is never an end to it.
The watch in question?
Preliminarily review, this watch is light ( maybe it is because of the titanium bezel or that it was due to the fact that I was previously wearing a DSSD) and wears comfortably on the wrist. The fit is just nice as it wraps around my wrist.
Wrist shot
Personal comprehensive review with more photos to follow suit in a few days time including pros and cons of the watch.
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 04:03:35 PM »
sorry rusmin,
Thanks for your high opinion but unfortunately I'm nowhere near G.Mac or many others here in mwf's league... :'(
I haven't got a single PP, VC, AP, ALS..... :-[

G.Mac,

Congrats G.Mac... A PP followed by a VC.... AP is obviously the next followed by ALS.. :thumbsup:

The watch in question?
Wrist shot

He already have an AP diver iirc
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 07:29:25 PM »
Thanks all.
Bro Sean, I agree with you totally on it being dangerous to walk into a watch shop.
Bro Bezelnut, I wish I can take a side by side photo of the VC with the Nautilus but the Nautilus is currently out of my daily rotation so it is in storage.
Bro JOS 2012, I wanted to take the plunge shortly after this for an ALS but the service price scared me off. Will strike it off my list and look at others.
Bro Hanz079, you have excellent recollection.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:28:01 AM by G.MAC »

Offline sm

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
Calling GMac for the BBintang mini gtg.
Mission : unveiling the Pp & Vc

Congrats bro!
May you b blessed w more grails....

Sm

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:47:06 PM »
sorry guys, a bit off topic, since PP,VC,AP considered as the holy trinity.

then how about Lange? the grail of all grail?

Offline Dickson Lim

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 12:01:01 AM »
As expected buddy for the incoming buddy! The journey never ends so fast!  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 07:13:47 AM »
Thanks all.
Bro CKL1213 - the 3 are known as the Trinity as they are the ones with the Geneva Seal. Lange is known as the German Holy Grail.
Bro Dickson - the journey will never end. It is just slowed down. :Laughing_on_floor:
Bro SM - not from KL. Would love to join the gtg at Bukit Bintang but I guess it has to be another time.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:11:40 PM by G.MAC »

Offline takashi78

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 07:59:58 AM »
Great buy Gmac!

Ti is excellent choice, not as common.

I miss my sold Ti watches.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 08:19:23 AM »
OK Back to the review..

It is not part of the trinity for nothing. The finishing on the Vacheron is just impeccable. The case is finely cut and molded and every edge looks to be sharp to the touch but isn't. The finishing on the dial is really top class. The makers also have put a lot of thought into the design and finishing. It is brushed all over which gives it a sporty look at the same time classy enough to remind you that this is a dress watch as well. Truly one of those watches which you can dress up to wear with a suit or dress down so that it matches your weekend wear.

Caseback for this watch is solid with the "Overseas" medallion stamped onto the back.Again another  :thumbsup: to the finishing on the caseback. Being antimagnetic to a certain extent, it cannot be see-through case back which is fine by me.

The crown is a screw-down one and is stamped with the "maltese cross" which further enhances its appearance. However, one thing that draws criticisms to the crown is the fact that it is darn hard to screw it back down. When I unscrew the crown, it took me close to 10 minutes to screw it back in. Other than that, there is not much to criticize about it.

Personally compared to AP and PP, the VC feels understated when you wear it. It does not have much wrist presence as compared to the other two. It feels like an Aston Martin comparatively with a Ferrari and a Lamborghini. The other 2 are flashier but this one feels more demure. However, you do know that there is a certain pedigree there. All in all, I am pleased with the watch. To bro Bezelnut, I cant meet your request in regards to the VC and the Nautilus together. I hope this one could suffice for now.

Thank you all for viewing.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 10:07:02 AM »
Marvellous review

Offline ab7882

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 10:15:46 AM »
congrats G.MAC. Beautiful watch..very poisonous..

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 12:13:19 PM »
Beautiful indeed. Oh one more photo coming up soon.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 10:52:10 AM »
buddy....a lof of us here (including yours truly) have cakap a lot to want to own this and own that...but never could..

You went and bikin another member of the trinity!  ;D

Congrats!
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 06:03:38 PM »
One thing to add before I conclude this review..the Vacheron Constantin has very weak lume.

Oh and the last picture....

The Trinity

Offline watzisname

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »
One thing to add before I conclude this review..the Vacheron Constantin has very weak lume.

Oh and the last picture....

The Trinity

Congrats ! You are living the dream  :D wear it in good health

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »
Great review.

You finally put all three pieces together, and thanks soo much for complying my request.

The WIS of the year is yours now.  ;D

Btw, your nautilus is running 2 minutes faster. ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:26:55 PM by bezelnut »

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
I wonder what car can he buy from the Holy Trinity?

Offline shahpijul

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 12:07:31 PM »
whoaa...out of my reach...