Author Topic: Aquadive BS100 DLC on Orange ISO review  (Read 5005 times)

Offline toolkit21

Aquadive BS100 DLC on Orange ISO review
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »
Hi there. I am ecstatic to be able to make my 1st watchuseek review here on an Aquadive forum. So I'd like to give an account of how the entire experience has been for me, and what to expect for the many coming fans of Aquadive.

Going thru multiple forums and Google Image Search to find the right Aquadive style (100, 300, DLC, NOS, etc.) got me a little confused at times. Mr Aquadive (Ben) has been a tremendous help in my queries, offering a comfortable service experience as though I am an only VIP buyer. Courteous and efficient. Kudos to you there.

After a while of watch inactivity, the brand just keeps coming back to me and I find this uniqueness of its history and construction very appealing for its price point. After finding the perfect style (BS100 DLC on Orange Iso), off I went to the website to make my order. As my credit card isn't acknowledgeable, I paid with Paypal (first time here too) and I must say the transaction interface is clear and simple. With all necessary information laid out without going to too many security layers.

Immediately an update email from both Paypal and Synchron was sent, signifying the start of its delivery. Fedex was entrusted to make this worldwide courier, and though it took 3 days (Fri-Mon), I think its a fairly reasonable time given the distance the package has to travel. It went from Vienna to Koeln to France to India to China to Malaysia. Then tracking the package's worldwide tour is quite a fun experience too.

The carton box came in unscathed, meaning it was handled well by Fedex. Looking on at its tape and sticker sealed opening were crumpled paper packing, revealing a black glossy box underneath. Below this glossy box sits an ISOfrane box and DVD case. Removing the box cover I find an opaque paper certificate for 5 adjustment positions, and a credit card size warranty card. Inside the glossy box is a velvety inner case securing the watch and a 2" high canister containing within it are 2 spring bars.

The watch is quite hefty, well weighted and rather sharp around the 4 angling downward lugs. Bezel turns with a solid steel thunking sound. Somewhat stiff, probably being new and all. Crown also grips very nicely around the machined edges. Both of these have straight downward cuts, confirming your finger tips are sure to catch on without any slippage. Winding the watch for the first time to start the ETA 2836 movement took a bit of getting used to, pulling the crown to 1 of 4 positions. 1st position outward is for manual wind. 2nd position for date. 3rd position for time adjustment. 4th and final is back into its screw-in position to secure the 1000M water resistant case. Having a high water resistance and HRV (helium release valve) are 2 assuring features I'll never use. Assuring me in such that its built to withstand a nuclear explosion and tightly sealed until I cannot hear the seconds ticking. Silent...

I ordered the 22mm orange ISO (heavy vanilla smell) and had an easy, but challenging, time removing and replacing the spring bars with the black ISO (little vanilla smell) it came with. Now I understand why many used watches for sale indicated a scratched lug area. If you're not careful, scratches are very easily made and seen. Luckily I'm proud to say it was a zero casualty effort. Removing the screws require some minuscule tool heads and a slow steady set of hands.

Unable to advise on accuracy yet. But I have some lume shots here to give a good indication how it looks like, if timing accuracy doesn't bother you too much. From the pictures you'll see that the lume looks blue-ish, but in actual it is more of a green lume. The lume 'lump' on the bezel looks like a lot of it has been applied on. The dial has (to me) a right combination of small font (Bathyscape 100. 1000 meters/3300 ft. Automatic) so as to not distract you from its main function, that is to tell you the time and date. You really have to squint to really look at each letter properly, it is that small. Its orange painted minute and seconds hand subtly match the orange ISO too.

Not willing to try the DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) case's ability, I'll take everyone's word that its super tough enough for daily use. How many Vickers? Nah, its good enough for me. And less bling-y silver case is a good departure too. The buckles are DLC coated, and signed 'AQUADIVE' too. Whereas the stainless steel buckle that came with orange ISO is signed ISOFRANE only.

My wrists are 6.75" and 43mm looks to be the just the right size (maximum) in my eyes. Have a larger 45.5mm watch coming in, so am a little worried that may be too large. The ISO straps are locked in at 4th to the last. Highly breathable ventilation holes and 13 holes for you to find the right fit! Soft ISO rubber feels grippy around the skin, sitting on a very thick secure buckle.

Have spent 3 straight hours doing this. So that's all for now, from a 1st time buyer experience point-of-view. To get further technical reviews, I believeyou can find them from many experienced reviewers here.

What I can offer is how a kid feels after receiving his first Transformers toy…

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
Re: Aquadive BS100 DLC on Orange ISO review
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »
WOW, great looking watch. The lume is great too. Congrats.. :thumbsup:
Seiko fan.....

Offline enkil

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 05:25:41 AM »
Looks great   :thumbsup:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 06:40:18 AM »
Thanks for the review... Very well written and cool watch :thumbsup:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »
Informative review. Congrats on the new addition!
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »
i must say i enjoy reading this review....

informative, great illustrative photos.
helium excapement valve at 6 seems a good move...

pls update us the wearing experience after this

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:07:16 PM »
Thank you also to all the compliments. Hope the review is sufficient and clear.

As for the DLC case on this Aquadive after a month of use, its been amazing to see that no hairline scratches at all. I do my best to be careful with all my watches, but some with shiny stainless steel case just get scratches easily.

Didn't try to knock or use a sharp pointy tool and test it, but it has held up well in the daily wear and use routine.

And vanilla scented Isofrane still smells really nice. Leaving the watch on the cabinet top or when driving the car with the watch on my wrist, gives another dimension of satisfaction. Smell. You know you have Sight taken care of, or Sound if you must hear the automatic movement ticking, but Smell is quite rare to appreciate with a watch.