Author Topic: Canon or Nikon DSLR?  (Read 35042 times)

Offline jaron1982

Canon or Nikon DSLR?
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:52:55 AM »
Hi all experts,

I am Jaron. I am new in the MWF. Nice to meet you all.
May need your advice or which brand to buy Canon or Nikon for DSLR?
I would want to take nice close up photos of watches. Which model is sufficient?

I have a friend told me to buy Nikon is better because they are just concentrate to do camera business.

On the other hand, Canon concentrate on camera and printers. If want to get Canon, can just buy a cheap printer and carry out. You still can tell others that you own a Canon.

Offline silverstan

Re: Canon or Nikon DSLR?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »
Both brands made good camera.

It's actually same like you ask ppl, which watch is good and you need one able to tell the time.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Honestly, if u want do some close up, compact camera can handle it better (1cm close up). Unless u going to purchase a macro lens for close up.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 06:18:40 PM »
it depends if you have lots of friends using Canon or Nikon. that way, it's easier to share lenses and other accessories.

unless you're quite serious into photography, don't bother with DSLR as they're quite complicated and the standard lenses don't take very good close-up shots. dedicated macro lenses are very expensive too.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 06:57:46 AM »
Between Canon and Nikon, then I will go with Nikon....if all the others, then you need to do a lot of homework, what you need it for. Before you decided to buy anything, why not join us for shooting and makan, then you can have your options open. Of course, a plate of Hokkien Mee will do the trick   ;D
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 07:38:31 AM »
Agreed with silverstan and dpkong assessments.
Both brands are good in their genre. Most photojournalist uses Canon for fast action shooting like F1, MotoGP, soccer etc. Nikon is used by most photographer for landscape, macro works etc. Of course, for shooting watches, both brand also can do the trick provided you have a dedicated macro lenses.

If you just wanto take close-up pictures of watches, like silverstan mentioned, a compact can also do the trick.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:43:51 AM »
The same topic always appears here and there ;)

to me, doesn't matter what brand as long as you comfortable with the camera...how easy you access to the functions provided... mostly, aperture, shutter speed, ISO and White Balancing (WB)...

To me, all brands in the current market produces good cameras... so will not really want to talk about brands... i would say, get one with good high ISO perform will do, then buy some real good lenses.... also, depend on your budget but if you seriously into this, get one slightly above entry level to start with ;)

macro? either spend 2.5K to 4K to get a macro lens or a few hundred RM compact camera will do like the rest suggested ;)

:Cheers:!
scott

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:27:13 PM »
it's like the Toyota and Honda debate... ;D

personally, i feel that the Canon is a bit more user friendly...but I still love the quality of the Nikon...but you gotta play with the settings. Canon's auto mode seems a bit more volatile.

but that's just my opinion. happy hunting! cheers

Offline ckmcsk

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:22:47 PM »
canon lenses are more affordable... but canon also has high end expensive L series lens

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 02:35:50 AM »
your fren is basically tellin you bullshits and provoking brand war...

macro shots can be achieved by any brands of camera provided you have the correct settings and equipment, even a point-and-shoot compact camera could do the tricks (even easier)!

the most important point is to know the fundamentals of photography, just like what Scott has mentioned above, e.g. aperture, shutter speed, ISO, WB, etc.

photography is all about skills and how you manipulate it, not by the brand of the camera you owned!

Visit my Sales Thread here for nylon watch straps and RIOS 1931 leather straps: http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/board,35.0.html

Offline Ted baker

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »
For me both are good camera, depends on what you want  because canon and nikon have their own advantage and disadvantage,for example you will get a more natural colour with nikon and cannon will give you more vibrant colour (vivid)...

With correct technique, you can get sharp picture with nikon but cannon machine good in capture fast movement...lens is fast.

But like others said it all depends on the so many factor such as friends , lens, design etc.

But, for my personal opinion...if u like to take more natural colour like scenary or portrait go for nikon, but if you like to take sports photo like fast moving object go for cannon....

That is why you can see a lot of sports photographer using cannon...you can see it with all white lenses right?? They are all cannon....but most of the natural photographer will use nikon camera.

You make your own decision, buy something suit you and make you happy.....cheerssssss

Offline joskovic

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »
both brands will do the same job. it really depends on ones photography skills to take the pics u wan.

for me, i would look at what brand my fren is using, dat way, u can share lens n acc.

another point u might wanna look at - 2nd hand shop. check out what's in the shop, what brand do they carry the most. u might be lucky they do carry some nice lens at a bargain price. might save ur pocket quite abit :o

given nikon & canon, i would go for nikon. just my personal preference :)

Offline SonnyCooL

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 01:32:49 PM »
Agreed with silverstan and dpkong assessments.
Both brands are good in their genre. Most photojournalist uses Canon for fast action shooting like F1, MotoGP, soccer etc. Nikon is used by most photographer for landscape, macro works etc. Of course, for shooting watches, both brand also can do the trick provided you have a dedicated macro lenses.

If you just wanto take close-up pictures of watches, like silverstan mentioned, a compact can also do the trick.

that true when canon launching EOS/Ultra Sonic but not for today, most camera almost equal tech, different is just AD gimmick .....

Offline akunawe

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 01:23:04 AM »
Hi all experts,

I am Jaron. I am new in the MWF. Nice to meet you all.
May need your advice or which brand to buy Canon or Nikon for DSLR?
I would want to take nice close up photos of watches. Which model is sufficient?

I have a friend told me to buy Nikon is better because they are just concentrate to do camera business.

On the other hand, Canon concentrate on camera and printers. If want to get Canon, can just buy a cheap printer and carry out. You still can tell others that you own a Canon.

The truth, you won't go wrong by choosing a Nikon or Canon.

As for skills, with dedication and passion, it will gradually grow. So don't worry about it. It is not like in the case of fine art - whether you are born with it or not. Photography skill is something that everyone can learn. 

Now, I was more a less in the same position as yours couple years ago and I ended up with a Nikon.

Well, the question - "What made u choose Nikon?"

My answer - "Nikon has went to the moon!"

Happy hunting!

:Cheers:

Offline EHFwatch

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 01:52:20 AM »
Depends on what kind of watch pictures you wanna take. If you want to take magazine grade type watch pictures, there is one way to cheat without the need of using a USD 60,000 Hasselblad but you are going to need the following pieces of equipment :

1. Light box + well lighted room
2. Dedicated Macro Lens
3. Any brand DSLR would work
4. Shutter release cable
5. Sturdy tripod ( Put heavy bags around tripod legs to ensure extra stability )

Put watch in lightbox. Surround lightbox with lights. For DSLR, you'll need a low ISO and a shutter of at least F 11 with a slow shutter of about about 1s. Ensure you've a shutter release cable so that the camera doesn't experience any vibrations. Would recommend putting it on timed shutter release even with cable to ensure no vibrations at all. Of course, you'll need to know how to read the exposure meter on the camera. Set your exposure settings to about 0 or a little bit underexpose. You should also shoot in RAW or extra fine JPG on the DSLR.

Take a few pictures. Ensure no reflection. Use blower to blow on watch before taking picture. Photo editing later will be a much easier affair.

Once pictures taken,pass through editing software. Plenty on the net. Due to high res picture, cropping the pictures shouldn't be a problem. Adjust the brightness from about 0.5 to 1 F-stop more depending on taste.

Offline Everdying

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »
this was taken using a fuji x10, done completely in natural afternoon light - f/2, 1/50s, iso100, with some light manipulation.
of cos using a DSLR with high sync flash speeds with light modifiers will make the job easier, but its still just a piece of equipment - remember - cameras dont take pictures, people do.

btw, i have and chose nikon DSLR simply cos i am more familiar with their lenses.

Offline SonnyCooL

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 06:24:35 PM »
shot by nikon DSLR (forget which model, way too long to recall)
lens 70-210 (20 year old lens)
lens 50mm (10 year old, use as reverse, poor man macro).
natural light, handheld, no crop.

Ain't nice shot, only pic related to watch i can show :)

Offline delola88

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 07:14:13 PM »
canon..coz user friendly..

Offline Mandy

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 06:34:11 AM »
Both are good I supposed. Never heard of any photographer one is always better that another.

Someone pointed out. If your circle of friends are using one common brand, you may follow through so that you can borrow lenses to try out this and that. I didn't heed this advice. I think I should...hehehe.

I am using my D90 for my travel. I enjoy it very much though I am not a passionate photographer.

Offline nwsiah

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 07:47:28 AM »
My choice is Nikon.  It some how feels more solid to me.  Somehow, Canon's design is more trendy.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 07:53:07 AM »
Both are good I supposed. Never heard of any photographer one is always better that another.

Someone pointed out. If your circle of friends are using one common brand, you may follow through so that you can borrow lenses to try out this and that. I didn't heed this advice. I think I should...hehehe.

I am using my D90 for my travel. I enjoy it very much though I am not a passionate photographer.

Agreed  :Cheers:

after awhile, you will not really bother what brand, the most important is your photograph... i'm sure all brand produce good qualities camera and lenses...

Offline nwsiah

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 09:15:36 PM »
You are right, Scott. All produce good photo and it also depend very much on the lenses we use.

I am using D90 with 18-55, 2.8 nikkor lense.

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 09:22:04 PM »
Sony A300 user here hehehe. Coupled with some good old Minolta lenses. ;)

It's not about the brand that you use, it's about the skills that you mastered.

Even cheapo cameras can take good photos if given to a professional photographer; even big ass DSLR can take shitty photos if it falls to a hand of an amateur.

Cheers! ;)

Visit my Sales Thread here for nylon watch straps and RIOS 1931 leather straps: http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/board,35.0.html

Offline nwsiah

Canon or Nikon DSLR?
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 08:22:11 AM »
Agree, creativity and knowledge is very much require in photography.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »
No one can tell from a picture whether its taken by a Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Olympus,etc..
Perhaps if you use an entry level 5MP dslr versus a Hasselblad Medium Format 60MP, you can see the difference in resolution when you blow up to billboard size.

I'm no pro and only indulge in photography as a hobby. I use Nikon, Fuji, Hasselblad and Leica film and digital cameras.
My dslrs are Nikon & Fuji. I use Nikon only because I started with Nikon and have got used to their control interface as well as accumulated quite a number of pro lenses.
I use the Fuji SPro range because it uses the same lens mount as Nikon and I prefer their color palette compared to Nikon.
For example when changing lenses, Canon/Nikon bayonet mounts work in opposite directions.

The brand is not the issue, its the type of camera you should choose for the shooting genre you are into for example:
DSLR for telephoto,macro, high speed sports.
Rangefinder for street or quiet and purposeful, artsy shots.
Medium format or even large format for high resolution requirement like landscape, architectural.
Medium format also for high end model/fashion shoots where big blowups are required

I always say that the most useless question to ask in buying a camera is which brand is better.....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:14:39 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline latuktua

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
i remembered my friend's quote," It's not what size of your *ehem* that matter,it is how you used what you got that counts"..ok back to topic..every camera brand got pro and contra,for me nikon suit me better,more friendly user even for the first timer,and remember..the person behind the camera is important,not the tools..