Author Topic: ONE DAY ONE WATCH...IWC PILOT XI  (Read 9658 times)

Offline TET@WATCH

ONE DAY ONE WATCH...IWC PILOT XI
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:59:52 AM »
This is a very old rare model...enjoy :Cheers:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Re: ONE DAY ONE WATCH...IWC PILOT XI
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:38:30 AM »
This is a very special vintage but the luminous hands don't look original as compared to others I've seen in forums…It looks very poorly re-applied
The case back should be brushed I think but it has been polished over and over till its so bright...
Was this purchased from ebay too?
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 07:41:30 AM »
Morning Jos...you are absolutely correct...the hands are original but the touch up artist are really lousy...as for the polishing part, i am guilty...even my sifu call me Mr Colgate cause i applied a lot of polish on all my watch.  I will polish about 3 to 4 watch a night during free time...cannot help it.  Even now also, i am wiping my watch and watch the glitter. (haha) Got to go now..will respond later... :Cheers:

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 08:24:44 AM »
Phew ! Just got back...anyway, i bought this watch from a senior citizen at a very reasonable price.  Ebay does have this model but the cost is USD9700 which is beyond my budget and very risky to ship all the way from origin.  Recently, i was hit with 4 missing watches from U.S...paypal manage to refund 2 but another 2 pending...
Tomorrow will post Tissot two tone automatic...another of my favourite. :Cheers:

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »
The original finish of the watch case is brushed so it won't shine. It will be weird for a military watch to be shiny like a dress watch.

I am troubled by the hands and caseback engraving.

Is it possible we see the movement inside the watch. I don't feel it's fair to you for me to comment further until I have more information.

What did the seller about this watch?

Regard
Tyler

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
Hi Godzillaz...deeply sorry cause already in the safe...seller told me, he inherited from his dad...i will try not to open up any more watches to take pictures of movement cause previous Rado posting, i encouter several mishap during process.  I just post for viewing interest...thats all...any incon much regretted :Cheers:   

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »
Interesting watch. I am with Tyler on the hands and case back.

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
Hi TheHobbit...thanks for the opinion...likewise :Cheers:

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 06:47:34 AM »
Is a pity we can't see the movement. Or else that would give us a better picture on the origin of this watch.

My concern are, the markings most probably not original to the watch. The Mark 11 usually spot the engraving of 6b/346 as the 1st line of text follow by another number slash the order year

i.e.

6b/346
xxx/48

The year 48 which I believe is the earliest as the Royal Air Force only start ordering Mark 11 on Feb. 1948 (according to research done by some military watch enthusiast)   

That plus the cathedral hands which also raise doubt about the watch.

A suspicious watch origin is never good.

Since there are so many uncertainties I would ask the seller for a possible return or exchange. Don't feel bad to return a watch. A good seller owes it to you.  ;)

Regard
Tyler

Hi Godzillaz...deeply sorry cause already in the safe...seller told me, he inherited from his dad...i will try not to open up any more watches to take pictures of movement cause previous Rado posting, i encouter several mishap during process.  I just post for viewing interest...thats all...any incon much regretted :Cheers:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:57:20 AM by Godzillaz »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 07:41:24 AM »
I agree with Tyler. The markings on the case back is more akin to the Omega www watch markings. With regards to the cathedral hands, it kind of remind me of the jlc mk xi. Perhaps you could return the watch to the seller?

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 07:43:42 AM »
Morning TheHobbit and Godzillaz...appreciate both your concern...thank you !!!

Offline Plankton-IkanBilis

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 08:24:29 AM »

Each person's watch collection - to each it's own...that is utmost important point that need to be respected by all.

I appreciate your enthusiasm in collecting vintage pieces but at the same time, I sincerely hope that the watches that you have sourced are in their original condition and not Franken-watches (don't want to see a fellow MWF member being duped)...unless you are planning to have a Franken-watches collection...then, like I said earlier, "to each it's own".

Have been following your many posts, learned some new things - thank you...this is my very first comment and hope you understand what I am trying to say. Cheers :thumbsup:

Offline [email protected]

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
Hi , tet , i am very new and know nothing about vintage watch , but i joint mwf as member just because i like watch as hobi , so i just follow some posting of  mwf menber . I cant say any comment but still got something to say ............ I will tell u by story

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »
Hi , tet , can u tell me what game u like to play , ok , how about football or basketball , ok ok or snooker , so many famous pro in this world playing this game , right ? Do u know David Bakham ,  or Lin , or Jimmy White , how pro they are , they are superstar ,right ? Do u thing they are coming to your place to show off their pro  , no no no , who u are , how u going to play with them , right ? Ok , how about the local pro , what they can do , did u from penang ? Did u go to lorong kulit ? May be this is the place is the right place for them , i have been listen listen listen many time it look like me but not me , haha , what do u think ? What do u think that i telling u i am wearing a very old seiko 5 , is true , seiko 5  only . But i love it very very much cos it give me by my grandfather . Next story ................ To be continue

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 01:16:41 PM »
Hi Plankton ikan bilis...your comment noted...appreciated !

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
Hi Alextee...nice to see that you are also interested in sports beside watches.  Can join me for snooker every saturday night at farlim if you want to.  I tried to understand your message, you are trying to say that a vintage watch has a sentimental value no matter what it cost. May it be cheap or expensive....am i correct ?  Please go ahead and post your Seiko 5 and i would love to view.  Thats what i am trying to say all this while...be proud of what you have and dont let any remark let you shield yourself. For once, i met a genuine vintage watch collector... :thumbsup: 

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
Its time to lay my cards down.  Before purchasing the watch, i took it to my Sifu to clarify and then after purchased (still not satisfied) I send another email to U.S, pretending i have inherited IWC pilot and needed to get more info.  Below are the whole conversation and i can assure you that they did their homework first before giving me an offer.  Hope this clarify and i can continue to post...thank you !
   Hello Tan,

The consignment price given is what you will receive for your item once it has been sold to one of our clients. We will repair/polish your item, photograph it and market it in our catalog, showroom & internet. There are no insurance or photography fees. This way you know exactly what you will net.
Payment is remitted to you (via company check or bank wire transfer) approximately 10 business days after the item is sold. This process typically takes 60 – 90 days for most items.

Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:15 PM
To: Matthew Barry
Subject: Re: IWC Mark XI

HELLO BARRY...LETS MEET HALFWAY, USD3750....ANYWAY, WHATS THE MEANING OF CONSIGNMENT BASIS ? 

To: Tan E.T <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:31 AM
Subject: RE: IWC Mark XI

Hello Tan,

We would try to net you approximately $3,000 on a consignment basis.
We have been in business for 30 years and can provide references in almost any area of the world if needed. If you are interested in shipping in your item we can send you a pre-labeled shipping box prepared for shipment via US Post Office Registered Insured Mail. This is the safest and most economical way to ship valuables. If you are interested, please advise as to your mailing address. Thank you.

Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:06 PM

would gladly accept usd4500 and i think you will still make a good profit after purchase....
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:55 AM
Hello Tan,

What were you hoping for?

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 8:22 PM

HI MATTHEW BARRY....THANKS FOR THE OFFER BUT ITS WAY BELOW MY EXPECTATION....HOPE YOU CAN GIVE ME A BETTER OFFER...THANK YOU !!!

Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:02 AM
Hello Tan,

We would purchase this item outright immediately for approximately $1,500 or net you approximately $1,800 on a consignment basis.
We have been in business for 30 years and can provide references in almost any area of the world if needed. If you are interested in shipping in your item we can send you a pre-labeled shipping box prepared for shipment via US Post Office Registered Insured Mail. This is the safest and most economical way to ship valuables. If you are interested, please advise as to your mailing address. Thank you.

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 2:47 AM

HI MATTHEW BARRY....SORRY LATE REPLY, AS PER ATTACHED...THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

To: [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2012 1:36 AM
Subject: IWC Mark XI
Hello Tan,

Please e-mail photos so we can properly identify your item(s), and provide an estimate.

Regards,

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
Let this be a lesson to everybody...dont judge or give comments until very certain of product.  You maybe an expert in certain watch but that does not mean "ALL".  I maybe a humble person, foolish and innocent but not stupid enough to pay substantial amont to purchase something i am unsure. To be a vintage watch collector, you have to be at all times alert and be prepared to face reality even sometimes we come across fake items.  Sorry for blowing my top :Mad:...thousand applogies !  Lets enjoy this forum by capturing some unusual, complicated, rare watches that our fellow members provide...o.k ? :Dancing_banana:   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:51:37 PM by TET@WATCH »

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
Goog , very good , hopefully can meet u but anyway i now buzy and i stay at Jawi . Dont make me malu to show u my seiko 5 ,  haha , thanks . I have to go for works .

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »
Hi again Alextee...Dont worry work first meet later.  No work no money to buy more watches (haha).  Nothing to malu about, owning a Seiko 5 is a tribute.  Happy Working !!! :Jumping:

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »
Likewise. I wish you luck on your future acquisition.

Let this be a lesson to everybody...dont judge or give comments until very certain of product.  You maybe an expert in certain watch but that does not mean "ALL".  I maybe a humble person, foolish and innocent but not stupid enough to pay substantial amont to purchase something i am unsure. To be a vintage watch collector, you have to be at all times alert and be prepared to face reality even sometimes we come across fake items.  Sorry for blowing my top :Mad:...thousand applogies !  Lets enjoy this forum by capturing some unusual, complicated, rare watches that our fellow members provide...o.k ? :Dancing_banana:

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 04:13:06 PM »
Hi again Godzillaz..thank you for your well wishes...back to you too :Cheers:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »

Happy to hear the watch has been verified. All the best with the next hunt.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 05:46:57 PM »
Today is your good day ,do u post any watch tomorrow , cant wait to c your beautiful watch , people always say the good once later post . Ha ha , any rolex or omega ?

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
Hi TheHobbit...thanks for the well wishes.  Anyway, instead of me going for the next hunt, why not you find out which watch has 3gm of pure gold and tells time with ball bearing ?  Will post the picture for you tomorrow !  Happy hunting :mooning: