Author Topic: Russian Vintage Watch - General Information  (Read 38893 times)

Offline spam01

Re: Russian Vintage Watch - General Information
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 02:02:49 AM »
I read about Russian watch history and would like to share with everybody here.
(I was concern if I link to the site, the mods may delete it coz' violation to the rule of linking website selling products.)

So the extracts from the website on Russian watch History:

"Russian watches have a rich and interesting history dating back over 80 years with the creation of the First Moscow Watch Factory, which today manufactures Poljot watches. A highlight of Russia's watch history came in 1961 when cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin took the first ever flight into space with a watch from the First Moscow Watch Factory.

Here's a chronological summary of key events in the history of Russian watchmaking.

1927 - The Labour and Defense Council passed a decree to establish a watch industry to serve government and Red Army needs. The Soviet watches were to be accurate, reliable and not inferior in quality to their Western counterparts. The equipment for the production of these watches was purchased from the USA. This was the origin of the First Moscow Watch Factory.

1930 - The first 50 Russian-made watches were presented at a ceremonial meeting in the Revolution Theatre, now known as the Bolshoi Theatre.

1940 - The "Commander" watch produced by the First Moscow Watch Factory was commonly used by officers of the Red Army. Watches with distinctive engravings were given by the army as a form of reward. In the ten years since the factory opened it produced 2.7 million pocket and wrist watches.

1941 - During World War II The First Moscow Watch Factory was evacuated to the city of Zlatoust. Throughout the war the factory worked for needs of the front producing aircraft watches and sea and aviation chronometers.

1942 - The Chistopol Watch Factory (NK MV 835) was created in July 1st and began manufacturing products for needs of the front. This is the origin of today's Vostok brand.
(Note :This factory was created on the basis of the Second Moscow watch factory and DOS factory,)

1943 - The Chistopol Watch Factory started production of the K-43 man's watch.

Hello all of you - sorry for my english
My name is Wojtek. I live in Poland - you know where is it?
I love watches. I have some nice souvenirs.
I like pocket watches - some want you to show here

Dueber-Hamden
In 1885 German immigrant John C. Dueber, purchased the Hampden Company, makers of watch movements. The Dueber-Hampden watch factory was built in 1886 in Canton, Ohio and produced fine quality timepieces. The company pioneered the 17-jewel pocketwatch movement, and in 1898 they were the first to introduce the 23-jewel movement.

?????? ??????????????? ??????? ????? - 1??? (First State Watch Factory)
Founded in 1930, the First State Watch Factory was the first Soviet watch and mechanical movement manufacturer. The Soviet government bought the Dueber-Hampden Watch Company, and moved twenty-eight freight cars full of machinery and parts from the USA to Moscow in order to establish the factory. Twenty-one former Dueber-Hampden watchmakers, engravers and various other technicians helped train the Russian workers in the art of watchmaking. In 1935 the factory was named after murdered Soviet official Sergei Kirov.

The Type-1 (???-1)
Four variations of watches were chosen to start production: a man’s pocket watch with 15 jewels for the various enterprises of the Ministry of Means of Communications; a man’s wristwatch with 7-jewels for the Red Army; a man’s pocket watch with 7-jewels and a ladies wristwatch with 15-jewels to be sold on the market. The first creations of the new factory were pocket watches called “the first type” or K43. Subsequently, the 7-jewel K43 was superseded by the 15-jewel movement for military applications. quotation: http://www.bdwf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70245

K-43 is my favorite Soviet movement

I have movements K-43 with:

First State Watch Factory
Second Watch Factory
Chistopol Watch Factory
Zlatoust Watch Factory
I do not have K-43 with 5 Factory yet

I present my collection of soviet pocket watches K-43 Type 1.

First State Watch Factory, circa 1930-1936, dial the later period

First State Watch Factory, circa 1930-1936

First State Watch Factory, circa 1936-1938

First State Watch Factory, 4th quarter 1940

Second State Watch Factory, 1938

Zlatoust Watch Factory, 4th quarter 1958

Chistopol Watch Factory, 4th quarter 1948, dial with ZWF

Chistopol Watch Factory 1-st quarter 1949

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:29:05 AM by spam01 »
No Swiss No China No Russia No Germany - Only Watches - World Wide Watches

Offline Hellkite

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 05:28:51 AM »
Some interesting pieces there. Welcome! Yes, I believe we all know where Poland is.

Offline engkow

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 06:30:28 AM »
nice collection n photos, welcome

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 11:23:08 AM »
First and foremost, Welcome to MWF, Wojtek.

Yes, most of us know where Poland is. It is located somewhere in mid-west Europe, near the old Russian (formerly USSR) border.
I was interested in pocket watches too, but at this period of time I am into wristwatch more than pocket watch. Very nice pictures of your collection of pocket watches.

Thank you for sharing.

Offline spam01

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »
First and foremost, Welcome to MWF, Wojtek.

Yes, most of us know where Poland is. It is located somewhere in mid-west Europe, near the old Russian (formerly USSR) border.
I was interested in pocket watches too, but at this period of time I am into wristwatch more than pocket watch. Very nice pictures of your collection of pocket watches.

Thank you for sharing.

It all depends on taste, but the first K-43 watches are pocket watches. Only 2WW forced the creation of these pocket watches in wristwatches  versions. K-43 is the same as rus. "????????? 43" or Pocket 43 millimeters because movement has a diameter of 43 mm.
eng. "Pocket" is the same as rus. "?????????" (read Karmanne)
No Swiss No China No Russia No Germany - Only Watches - World Wide Watches

Offline gavinx

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 09:59:49 AM »
as promised to upload some pics of my new toy... :P

here go the pics..

Aviator's outer watchbox

Aviator's inner full leather watchbox

Leather watchbox inner cushion, watch still wrap by a plastic cover

Aviator legendary flying ace 45mm full look

Aviator close up look

Buckle

Back case

on hand view

overall feeling is heavy and solid built!!

specs and description:

The Ant 25 timepiece was inspired by Valery Pavlovich Chkalov, a Russian aircraft test pilot and a hero of the Soviet Union. The design features the image of Chkalov’s signature Ant 25 plane on dial. Hour and minute markers display at all positions on the red outer dial on the round black dial. White Arabic hour markers display at all positions except 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00.

Movement: 17 ruby jewel mechanical
316l surgical grade stainless steel
Water resistant to 5 meters or 5 ATM.
Mineral crystal glass.
Date of month calendar.
Sweep-type seconds hand dial.
Bright "Super Luminova" dial and hands.
Screw-down stainless steel back with etched image.     
45 mm case diameter
12 mm case depth

Limited edition 200 pieces worldwide only!!

thanks for the viewing :Cheers:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:06:25 AM by gavinx »

Offline khanwooi

• Anything, Just About Watch Knowledge
    • Vostok Russia Watches
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
hi gavin?

may i know where u from?
please PM me how much you buy this aviator thanks

this is limited edition, and not wrong i saw there is a white color 1 as well.

regard
NG
Khan Wooi

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »
nice watch you have there gavin...

would you mind to PM me the price as well as where you got it?

thx! ;)

Visit my Sales Thread here for nylon watch straps and RIOS 1931 leather straps: http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/board,35.0.html

Offline gavinx

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 03:51:42 PM »
khan wooi,
im from puchong. yes, this is the limited edition, there are three design in total but dont have the white color that you mentioned. the dial color for all three design still black color but the different is color to the arabic number and type of the aeroplane.

wristsolution,
PMed u the price. There are local AD who carry this watch but too bad its all sold off. So no choice I have to get it from oversea (German). :)

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »
Congrats Gavin, on the Aviator.
I am from Puchong too, from BK to be exact. Maybe we can go for a "teh tarik" together and exchange ideas/discussions on Russian watches.

Offline gavinx

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »
Congrats Gavin, on the Aviator.
I am from Puchong too, from BK to be exact. Maybe we can go for a "teh tarik" together and exchange ideas/discussions on Russian watches.

sure. maybe we can exchange contact no. and invite khan wooi to join us. :)

Offline khanwooi

• Vostok Russia Watches
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »
hi

but i use to travel, make sure it is a right time.
Khan Wooi

Offline khanwooi

• Vostok Russia Watches
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »
hi guys,

need to ask you all,
russian watch is very rare in malaysia,
i have russian watch and it auto winding mechanica  and some manual winding.

1 question, is it necesary to do service on the watch?
i dont think needed right?
Khan Wooi

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 09:34:20 AM »
hi guys,

need to ask you all,
russian watch is very rare in malaysia,
i have russian watch and it auto winding mechanica  and some manual winding.

1 question, is it necesary to do service on the watch?
i dont think needed right?

All mechanical watches (whether manual wind or self-winding) requires servicing (cleaning and oiling in layman's term) from time to time. You may send them for service annually or if you think not so frequent, then maybe 2 years or three years once.
Just like our car, which need to change oil, filters etc (send for servicing).

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 09:47:02 AM »
More General information on Russian watches.

IMHO (note my personal opinion only)on the quality of Russian watches. First of all, in many cases don't expect a level of finish/construction higher than Swiss manufactured watches. Russian watches were built mainly to be cheap, simple and robust.

For example, Vostok produced strong, simple and reliable timepieces (Komandirskie, Amphibia and others). After the fall of the Soviet Union, the  quality went down but the situation now is slightly better. I read from the 'net that owners of Amphibia watches are usually very happy and they use their watches under very harsh conditions. The construction of those watches are done mostly manually, therefore some defect of construction may happen.
Vostok-Europe are built in Lithuania, with Vostok or Seiko movements. They are now in the price range of Japanese watches, and they are making big improvements - usually the watches are well-built, the QC is good. They are excellent if you want something comparable to Japanese products about ruggedness and technical style.

Poljot is probably the most prestigious Russian brand, because it produced mechanical chronographs, the main desire of all the watch collectors. Soviet-made Poljot were simple but well built. After the fall of USSR, Poljot immediately launched new and attractive models, apparently with better materials, but often with unadjusted movements. This led, for example, to many watches with badly working chrono functions (early Aviator series). 
The companies born from the ashes of Poljot and/or those who produces watches with Poljot movements (Volmax, Denissov, Moscow Classic, etc.) produce very good timepieces, with a finish not very distant from good Western products. For example, Volmax is making huge efforts in QC, style and design. Denissov are top-notch niche watches, Moscow Classic have a lower price but their quality is OK as well.

Poljot International and Pilot are two "semi-Russian" brands located in Germany. (Ah! First time heard of Pilot watches). The first one makes high-end watches with Russian movements (but sometime also with non-Russian movements), with higher level of finish. They are very accurated, and the higher price is justified by a special accuracy in the finish (all the movements are polished and decorated) and construction. They are mostly well-adjusted too.
About "Pilot" watches, they are basically comparable to the Poljot watches of some years ago (i.e. the "Berkut" chronograph is very similar to the Poljot Aviator 1) - good quality and materials, but sometime they have assembling defects. They are mostly made in Germany.

Offline n1ckwlq

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »
I am interested in a Poljot Journey.Can anyone tell me anything about it?I've search the watch online but couldn't get much info.Is it a reproduction or a NOS?
Nicholas Wong

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 11:29:55 AM »
For Vostok fans , I have put a link to Vostok database (still growing) at the Link section.
http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,4729.msg50195.html#msg50195

I am interested in a Poljot Journey.Can anyone tell me anything about it?I've search the watch online but couldn't get much info.Is it a reproduction or a NOS?

I have never heard of Poljot Journey, but ?I suspect it could be one of the rare Poljot chronograph piece.
The spec.s of Poljot Journey (I was informed)
Name : Poljot chronograph "Journey"
Movement : Mechanical Poljot 31681 caliber
Diameter : 42 mm
Water resistant : 3 ATM

Offline n1ckwlq

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 12:14:32 PM »
For Vostok fans , I have put a link to Vostok database (still growing) at the Link section.
http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,4729.msg50195.html#msg50195

I have never heard of Poljot Journey, but ?I suspect it could be one of the rare Poljot chronograph piece.
The spec.s of Poljot Journey (I was informed)
Name : Poljot chronograph "Journey"
Movement : Mechanical Poljot 31681 caliber
Diameter : 42 mm
Water resistant : 3 ATM
Yea it is a mechanical chronograph.Thats all i know about it.it retails at around 400usd in ebay.
Nicholas Wong

Offline mcqueen

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 06:19:21 PM »
i dont thnk lot of malaysian collecting russian watches. jus my view

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »

Yes, you are right.
But that doesn't dimmed the interests of the few Malaysian who are into Ruskie pieces.

Offline khanwooi

• Vostok Russia Watches
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »

Yes, you are right.
But that doesn't dimmed the interests of the few Malaysian who are into Ruskie pieces.

yes agree with you, watchnewby

i always feel russian watch is unique compare to swiss made,
maybe i found too many watch owner wearing same watch as mine, that why i always wear my russian watch,
many of my friend or watch shop owner will very impress and few confuse which brand of watch is it,
i like because it very rare,

Khan Wooi

Offline kevlee

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2013, 10:04:22 AM »

Yes, you are right.

yes agree with you, watchnewby

i always feel russian watch is unique compare to swiss made,
maybe i found too many watch owner wearing same watch as mine, that why i always wear my russian watch,
many of my friend or watch shop owner will very impress and few confuse which brand of watch is it,
i like because it very rare,

Hello Bother....I come across the vostox europe watch from russia2all website and the price is very attractive....May I know the finishing of the Vostox watch is worse than Japanese watch (Casio, citizen???)...I almost wanna buy one from that site.....

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2013, 11:02:47 AM »
Hello Bother....I come across the vostox europe watch from russia2all website and the price is very attractive....May I know the finishing of the Vostox watch is worse than Japanese watch (Casio, citizen???)...I almost wanna buy one from that site.....

I think you mean Vostok.  ;)

Their watch is beautifully finished, relative to their price of course.

IMO, they made their watch too big, maybe because they are made for grizzly size Russian. this is my only major complain. However, these things are very subjective, and if you are into large watches, Vostok is indeed a great choice.

Price wise it is very competitive.

Offline bentarazero

• Freshie
  • Remember, Remember. The fifth of November.
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »
This post brings back memories. I had a wind-up Poljot. I got it from Petaling Street at a time just after the fall of the USSR. This is along with other Soviet era knick knacks like telescopes, night vision goggles etc. I broke the wind up mech when I was in college by winding it up too tightly. I miss that watch.  :-[

Offline khanwooi

• Vostok Russia Watches
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 02:47:14 PM »
hi yea, it been a while this topic is left over.

im still into russian vostok amphibia watches, guess what im now really run all over the world to look for all vostok amphibia fans,
and i able to gether lot of friend and we gather into Vostok amphibia modification.

it really specific friend really buiding amphibia bezel, bezel insert, Strap and now im personally into collecting old vostok amphibia for repolish the case and make painting to further refurnish the whole watch.

currently is gathering the part and later on i try post out the picture which is the old amphibia im collecting.
hope it all goes well.
Khan Wooi