Author Topic: 3 divers, Rm 12k, 1decision . UPDATE : Decision made , with pictures !!  (Read 20836 times)

Offline Dr.j

HI all
As the title suggest, i am in the market for a new watch. I have done some homework, so i thought i will like some opinion regarding my choices.
A little background. I am fairly new to watches, and this is going to be my first nice watch. Going to wear this watch to any occasions , and it will be a couple of years before i buy another watch. I love a little heritage in the piece , because it just gives a watch so much character. Enuf said. On with the choices

1) Tudor Heritage Chronograph

In the last couple of years, Tudor have shrug off the lil' brother to Rolex image and moving up the horology ladder. This year Basel 's release just stole the thunder from Rolex (Sky Dweller anyone?) .No longer is it using hand me downs designs from Rolex but its coming out with some really exciting time pieces.
This particular model caught my eye , and i just love the play of colours. It comes with a nato strap so its very versatile. The fact that its based on the Monte carlo makes it that much more appealing.
The downside however it the size. Its 42mm, but with the thin bezel, it wears larger IMHO. I have a 6.25" wrist, so it looks abit awkward.
 ETA... okay, i could live with that, but for rm 12k..hmm...

2) Omega Planet Ocean 2500

Its recently discontinued , in line with Omega's plans to fit the new in house 8500 in all its watches. This is really the last chance to get one new. A very good looking watch and very versatile. Its based on the classic SM300 dive watch, so you cant go wrong here. Its definitely a future classic.
Dollar for dollar , its hard to argue that this watch is just as good as other watches double in price ( no need to mention names here)
The bracelet is one of the best i have tried on. With Omega moving upmarket (at least price wise) , getting an Omega in this price range will be unheard off in the coming years. Oh ya, its a James Bond watch..... Being a fan, its a huge plus  :thumbsup:

3) Rolex 14060

This watch needs no introduction. The other  2 are future classics, but this is THE classic dive watch. The size is perfect too. 39.5mm- magic fit. The only down side, i have to get it second hand. Actually, with my budget, i might not be able to get a good condition one. Being new to watches, i am not comfortable buying second hand, because i dont know enough to make a smart purchase. I have only tried it on once, so i have to rely a lot on photos. 

Would love to know what you guys think. Going to KL this weekend, and already called the ADs to ensure they have the models in stock. Hopefully i can snag one .
Cheers
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:45:14 PM by Dr.j »

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: 3 divers, Rm 12k, 1decision
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »
1) Tudor Heritage - it is not a diver.
2) PO - yes, it is a good watch in its price range.
3) 14060 - I would say it is the most comfortable on wrist, among all there. Do shop around some pre-owned shops here in KL, you might find one within your budget and in good condition.

Good luck.

Offline nazren

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »
all three are great choices but if really push comes to shove...i would advice go for the rolex if you can live with the brand/ stigma...pre own does not really matter if you can get a nice one...

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:01:49 PM »
Agree with bro ck
Tudor heritage - its definitely not a diver.
PO 2500 - good choice. I think it can be had for your budget. I think the PO is shaping to be a classic of the future.
14060 - with that kind of budget..buying new is definitely not possible. Even for a pre-owned one, you are stretching it a bit thin. You need lots of luck with finding that watch.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:13:28 PM »
I would personally go for a Rolex 14060.
If your're planning on getting a 2 liner... 12k is easy to find.
4 liner? Add another 3-4k.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »
Rolex.... :thumbsup:
Jacky Wong

Offline MCCL88

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 02:00:19 PM »
PO my choice. :Cheers:

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
1st choice - Rolex, You won't go wrong with it.
2nd choice - PO, buy new (after all its a new pc with your budget)

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
Depending on what's important for you..
looks? quality/performance of case/movement? re-sale value? brand recognition by your friends?
Between the Tudor and Omega I'd vote the Omega but the newer 8500 in-house movt not the older 2500 ETA with Co-Axial
(I use to have 3 Omegas, a PO Chronograph 3313 Co-Axial,SMP 2500C Co-Axial, Lemania Speedy for quite a long while..both CoAxials were excellent time-keepers and tough but the newer 8500/9000 Chrono in-house movts are much better quality/performers.
I'm just waiting for Omega to improve their current watch dial designs before buying again- the current 2 counters chronos are not my cup of tea)
if your budget is a bit short for the 8500 Omega, I'd strongly recommend waiting a few months later till you have the budget..
A watch is something you'll look at for a long time...so it should not be a compromise
esp if the budget is something you can build up within the next several months or even a year.

Lastly the Rollie if you intend to sell eventually as it definitely has a better re-sale market than the other 2.

Having said that there are a lot more excellent choices for divers i.e Blancpain, IWC, JLC

If I were you and wanted a diver watch bad enough, I'd save up longer to get something that would really make me happy for a long long while...
Personally I got a GS SD SBGA031 Diver to replace all my previous diver watches but that's just me. It definitely won't be the choice of majority of watch buyers, as the SD is not deemed a 100% pure mechanical and the Seiko name has no snob factor to impress socialites

My priorities was the best finishing for the case/dial/movement, class leading accuracy/performance in a watch that as few people have on their wrists as possible and a name that was under the radar, a brand that non-WIS have no idea of....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:01:27 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline bwee

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 03:13:52 PM »
Rolex  :thumbsup:

Offline Everdying

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »
how about the newer SMP with ceramic bezel with screw links, tho no wave dial.
basically the same price as the PO2500.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 04:46:47 PM »
Do you really need to have a diver's watch? If so perhaps the better option is to wait for the Tudor Pelagos or Black Bay instead of the Heritage Chrono. The Heritage Chrono while is not a diver's watch, it is rated to 150M which is plenty. As for the Rolex, if you are patient enough (and look around) with a budget if RM12K, you have lots of options. You are looking at getting 14060 or even the 14060M (older model with 2 lines) and even if you want to go vintage, the 5513 (but need to check for rated depth). Look hard enough you may even get the SeaDweller 4000 (about 10 years old like mine). As for the Omega, get it new (your budget should allow it).

All the best with the hunt.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 04:56:33 PM »
Rolex 14060 or Planet ocean. Both are cool but Rolex are more awsome for me.  :thumbsup:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »
of your 3 choices, i would go with Rolex.

if you do intend to dive with a pre-owned 14060, do get it pressure tested. as hanz079 put it, you can find a 2-liner for around your budget of RM12k but not if you are in a hurry to buy it. PM me if you want some leads.

Offline Dr.j

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »
I would personally go for a Rolex 14060.
If your're planning on getting a 2 liner... 12k is easy to find.
4 liner? Add another 3-4k.

The 2 lines give the watch a cleaner look, but i actually prefer the 4 lines because its newer, and the higher chance to find one in a better condition. I do know this will price me out ...

Offline Dr.j

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 07:00:17 PM »
Depending on what's important for you..
looks? quality/performance of case/movement? re-sale value? brand recognition by your friends?
Between the Tudor and Omega I'd vote the Omega but the newer 8500 in-house movt not the older 2500 ETA with Co-Axial
(I use to have 2 Omegas, a PO Chronograph 3313 Co-Axial and a SMP 2500C Co-Axial for quite a long while..both were excellent time-keepers and tough but the newer 8500/9000 Chrono in-house movts are much better quality/performers.
I'm just waiting for Omega to improve their current watch dial designs before buying again- the current 2 counters chronos are not my cup of tea)
if your budget is a bit short for the 8500 Omega, I'd strongly recommend waiting a few months later till you have the budget..
A watch is something you'll look at for a long time...so it should not be a compromise
esp if the budget is something you can build up within the next several months or even a year.

Lastly the Rollie if you intend to sell eventually as it definitely has a better re-sale market than the other 2.

Having said that there are a lot more excellent choices for divers i.e Blancpain, IWC, JLC

If I were you and wanted a diver watch bad enough, I'd save up longer to get something that would really make me happy for a long long while...
Personally I got a GS SD SBGA031 Diver to replace all my previous diver watches but that's just me. It definitely won't be the choice of majority of watch buyers, as the SD is not deemd a pure mechanical and the Seiko name is a put off.
My priorities was the best finishing for the case/dial/movement, class leading accuracy/performance in a watch that as few people have on their wrists as possible.

At this point , the most important thing is the aesthetics ,quality and the brand . I know this sounds shallow, but  i am not going to deny i like a little bling bling on my arm once in a while :mooning:
However, i am slowly appreciating the mechanics of what makes a watch tick and the superb craftsmanship which goes into a watch. However, i am unprepared to shell out that much for a watch....yet..

I have gave the Omega 8500 much thought, and i agree its a better watch than the 2500. However, i prefer the black bezel and the fact the 2500 stays true to the SM 300. The 5k premium on the 8500 does not help its case

I saw your pictures of your new GS. Its fantastic. You have great taste my friend.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 07:02:14 PM »
the hype on the internet is that the 2-liner will be more desirable in the future because of it's relatively short production run. whether that will be true depends on when the planets will be in the correct alignment...

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
Oh well, just buy whatever you like but you cant go wrong with that 2 i mentioned :Cheers:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
the hype on the internet is that the 2-liner will be more desirable in the future because of it's relatively short production run. whether that will be true depends on when the planets will be in the correct alignment...

Could be wrong but the short lived version is the 4 liner.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
I thought the 2 liner look more identical to the 5513. Thats all. I dont think they are that short-lived. I personally think the 4 liners are more short-lived.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 08:14:30 PM »

Could be wrong but the short lived version is the 4 liner.
:thumbsup: 2007-2011

Offline nwsiah

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
I agree that Sub is comfortable on wrist. Thus my choice will be Rolex

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
I thought the 2 liner look more identical to the 5513. Thats all. I dont think they are that short-lived. I personally think the 4 liners are more short-lived.

The 2-liner 14060M was available for many many years, since the 1990's (I think) after the discontinuation of the 5513 gloss dial and had tritium dials in the 1990's. Personally, I prefer the 4-liner.

Offline rusminag

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »
Dr J, welcome to MWF.
Yes Tudor Monte Carlo is not a diver watch..
My view:
Heritage - Rolex Sub (the original Bond watch)
Value retention - Preowned Rolex Sub
Movement - Rolex Sub (although eta2892 in Tudor Monte Carlo is quite high end too)
Water depth - Omega PO (600m)
Functions - Tudor Monte Carlo (Chronograph, date, hour bezel)
Look - Tudor Monte Carlo (retro colour and nice matching nato strap)
Materials - Rolex Sub (904l steel, white gold hour markers)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:36:07 PM by rusminag »
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline Henry133

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 09:41:41 PM »
I will second JOS2012 reply.

Granted I own the 8500, so you think I am bias but seriously the 8500 is really well made. And if you look around you can snag one (grey) for about 14k.
I think the 2500 is pretty ...but the 8500 is a better watch (tech wise and finish wide).

Otherwise, I go with the sub. (not sub date cause i dont fancy the cyclops)