Author Topic: Refurbish an old watch  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Jiha94

• Jiha
Refurbish an old watch
« on: November 21, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »
Found my dad's old watch. And was wondering what can i do to refurbish this watch? Is it possible to make it wearable and look decent again?

Offline GMTmaster

Re: Refurbish an old watch
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »
Anything is possible.  :D. I am sure there are people who can help. BTW, is it a mechanical watch? And is it dead currently?

Offline Jiha94

• Jiha
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 08:01:09 PM »
Anything is possible.  :D. I am sure there are people who can help. BTW, is it a mechanical watch? And is it dead currently?

Yeah. Its dead. Tested the hours and minutes hands are moving fine. I think its a usual quartz watch , not mechanical. I think?  ???

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 08:02:32 PM »
It stated quartz on the dial.
One of the lugs is gone, a tough job to refurbish, I guess.

Offline Jiha94

• Jiha
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »
It stated quartz on the dial.
One of the lugs is gone, a tough job to refurbish, I guess.

Yeah i dont mind abt the cracked glass, but the lufpg is what worries me.

Offline Everdying

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »
perhaps try to convert it to a pocket watch.

Offline GTH

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:56:15 AM »
it's not easy to make and weld back a watch lug, and then gold plate it again. Gold plating in Malaysia as i know doesn't last long. don't think anyone would do this in Malaysia.
If you want a new case and change the quartz movement maybe you would have to find some repair shop that also sells second hand watches, they might have a spare case lying around somewhere.
or in the worse case buy from USA at http://www.ofrei.com/page460.html and get someone to fit it for you.
Each handmade watch is sold with part of the watchmakers soul. The effort to make the watch perfectly flawless like a gem, takes a lot of the watchmakers concentration. You pay for the "Loving attention" they give to each movement and watch.

Offline Jiha94

• Jiha
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 04:07:37 PM »
it's not easy to make and weld back a watch lug, and then gold plate it again. Gold plating in Malaysia as i know doesn't last long. don't think anyone would do this in Malaysia.
If you want a new case and change the quartz movement maybe you would have to find some repair shop that also sells second hand watches, they might have a spare case lying around somewhere.
or in the worse case buy from USA at http://www.ofrei.com/page460.html and get someone to fit it for you.
Thanks. Will try to look into that  :)