Author Topic: Re: Daily Driver Advice  (Read 2621 times)

Offline julianlopez_85

Re: Daily Driver Advice
« on: May 09, 2022, 08:27:48 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post : ). Wanted to ask your opinion about getting a watch, I have seen some Japanese divers around the 900-1200 price mark and wanted to ask your opinions about these divers. Similarly i found Jomashop in the US who are selling Tissot watches for about the same. What are you thoughts about the Japanese Divers vs the Tissot? I currently have a longines my dad gave me 20 years ago but it's too nice to use as a daily driver, I don't want to say beater watch because i won't intentially damage it. I'm looking at the divers that have a rubber strap vs Tissot racer which is also a rubber strap. This time i'm looking more into the fun and rugged type to purchase. Thanks.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 08:03:06 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post : ). Wanted to ask your opinion about getting a watch, I have seen some Japanese divers around the 900-1200 price mark and wanted to ask your opinions about these divers. Similarly i found Jomashop in the US who are selling Tissot watches for about the same. What are you thoughts about the Japanese Divers vs the Tissot? I currently have a longines my dad gave me 20 years ago but it's too nice to use as a daily driver, I don't want to say beater watch because i won't intentially damage it. I'm looking at the divers that have a rubber strap vs Tissot racer which is also a rubber strap. This time i'm looking more into the fun and rugged type to purchase. Thanks.

I would opt for a good sub RM1k Seiko for a daily beater - and when you have saved more, can look at perhaps a better range swiss. I started my journey with a Seiko 5, and boy is it hardy.

Offline julianlopez_85

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 08:19:02 AM »
Thank you i was contemplating whether Tissots were worht the money. I'm in the same camp as using a nice Japanese diver for now and probably try to get a nicer Swiss made like an Oris or Ball later on down the road.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 06:36:37 PM »
well.. I don't see why the Longines cannot be a daily driver as it will be the watch you see the most and it should be something you like a lot.

Offline DonFlamingo

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 05:09:28 PM »
We always talked about how Rolex makes almost everything in house, but Seiko goes a step further, even making their own quartz crystal.

Big fan of Seiko's, would always recommend friends & family to look into Seiko as their 1st serious (mechanical) watch.

Gradually would love to own a Grand Seiko in the future, especially a spring drive model.

Offline dexson

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 09:31:11 PM »
Yes, as per many sifu's advice here, you will never go wrong with an entry level seiko diver.

That being said, you can also look into Tissot Q Timex Reissue line. Slightly over your budget. Just slightly after discounts. And you also get a diver-esque kind of look.

Happy watch hunting ! This is always the best phase !

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 06:52:28 PM »
At that price point, i would go with a Seiko. The only Tissot-s I am interested are those from the PRX or Seastar line and these go for way past that price point.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline wilson29

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 11:01:06 AM »
I'm wearing Seiko turtle. Great diver for the pricetag

Offline Slasher927

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 03:18:52 PM »
IMO watches below 10k price point all about design and budget, so just buy what you love within your budget. If you prefer watch  got rich history reference then big vote to Seiko divers, tuna or turtle, both got funky look and lot of choices~

Offline chiggah

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 07:09:18 PM »
Considering a Seiko GMT as a daily driver