Author Topic: So, what's new?  (Read 9325 times)

Offline pleasuresaurus

So, what's new?
« on: February 10, 2022, 10:56:35 AM »
Seems like every day we keep getting reminded of how hung up we're feeling not being able to get what we want. So I thought that rather than talking about IT-THAT-SHALL-NOT-BE-NAMED, it might be more cheerful to talk of other things, look at other interesting pieces available, maybe some new releases.

I'm currently smitten with the caseback view of the new Leica L1 & L2 releases, man these things are mint (as u could probably tell, I dig german watches ;D). Seems like going off on a tangent, a camera company making watches. Still, the output looks mighty interesting.

So hey, what's new with you?

Offline bulletnos

Re: So, what's new?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 12:31:34 PM »
Seems like every day we keep getting reminded of how hung up we're feeling not being able to get what we want. So I thought that rather than talking about IT-THAT-SHALL-NOT-BE-NAMED, it might be more cheerful to talk of other things, look at other interesting pieces available, maybe some new releases.

I'm currently smitten with the caseback view of the new Leica L1 & L2 releases, man these things are mint (as u could probably tell, I dig german watches ;D). Seems like going off on a tangent, a camera company making watches. Still, the output looks mighty interesting.

wow would you look at that movement - clean and crisp. But the lack of the Côtes de Genève stripes or Perlage makes it a lil less refined imho...since those decorations has its purpose too.

Curious - what is the price point for these?

What's new for me? Well, my eyes are now opened to Germans too... ;D  thanks to poison  :HammerHead:

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 12:35:34 PM »
I mean…look at this la…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 12:37:20 PM by bulletnos »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 05:12:01 PM »
Like Montblanc making watches? How successful thus far?

Why did a camera company start dabbling in watches and meanwhile they're re-badging Japanese cameras as their own?

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 05:30:55 PM »
@bulletnos: That case back is just something else, especially the finer details around the double swan-neck regulators. Hardly any other manufactures actually even do that kind of duplex build, not even Lange I think.

@dpkong: tbh I'm not all that familiar la with the stuff Montblanc is doing, other than the fact that I like the looks of the Nicolas Rieussec pieces they came out with, an interesting take on the chronograph.

Offline W3ll

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 07:18:05 AM »
I mean…look at this la…

Lovely piece! would go for the panoreserve in white dial anytime due to it's thinner profile

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 06:12:48 PM »
I mean…look at this la…

Lovely piece! would go for the panoreserve in white dial anytime due to it's thinner profile
Interesting choice, now that you’ve mentioned…i did compare the two side by side, in fact, the hue of blue is also noticeably different between the two models with the PanoReserve being a little “warmer”…but a major difference is the movement with the PanoReserve being a manual wind. I kinda like the off-center rotor or the PanoMaticLunar though….hypnotizing…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 06:14:26 PM by bulletnos »

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 09:38:30 AM »
Hmmm I didn't realize it, but yeah, there is a difference in hue between the blue of the Panoreserve and the Panoluna. I wonder if this is something they attempt to replicate for all the other color variants as well? Its a nice subtle differentiation, interesting.

The more I look at these, the more I'm drawn to the Panolunar... something about the busier caseback. It seems like there's more distractions and moving thingies to look at as opposed to a larger view of the base plate  :laugh: . Then again the decoration and finishing of the stripes are impeccable.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »
Same here man...I love the busier back of the Lunar one as opposed to the large base plate for the Power Reserve version. Also, for such a relatively short power reserve of 42 hours - I would definitely go for an Automatic. But that's just me.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 12:58:51 PM »
Some watches have such nice casebacks feels like such a shame they remain hidden on the back. Wearing a piece on the reverse  would be able to show off the mechanics and craftsmanship that went into decorating these movements, but alas lug design usually makes it impractical. I initially thought the Panoinverse seemed like a good compromise, but missing out on a regular also feels kinda rugi also. The idea of skeleton watches seem interesting until I have to actually buy them  ;D

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 08:15:23 PM »
Some watches have such nice casebacks feels like such a shame they remain hidden on the back. Wearing a piece on the reverse  would be able to show off the mechanics and craftsmanship that went into decorating these movements, but alas lug design usually makes it impractical. I initially thought the Panoinverse seemed like a good compromise, but missing out on a regular also feels kinda rugi also. The idea of skeleton watches seem interesting until I have to actually buy them  ;D

Haha that is so true...but I guess the fun part is knowing it's there...Syiok Sendiri...lol  ;D

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the PanoInverse though...seems like too much metal and low legibility.

A skeleton sounds like a plan...though I myself havent bought any at this point hahaha

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 07:33:10 AM »

And then once in a while something genuinely intruiging comes along that does exactly that. German watchmaker Marco Lang up and made a piece with that exact specific idea in mind.

This Zweigesicht-1 (literally means two face in English) has 2 sides, AND is meant to be wearable both sides. The lugs can actually be adjusted and realigned to accommodate whichever side we want to wear it. Fantastic bit of horo engineering.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 09:31:09 AM »

And then once in a while something genuinely intruiging comes along that does exactly that. German watchmaker Marco Lang up and made a piece with that exact specific idea in mind.

This Zweigesicht-1 (literally means two face in English) has 2 sides, AND is meant to be wearable both sides. The lugs can actually be adjusted and realigned to accommodate whichever side we want to wear it. Fantastic bit of horo engineering.

For the WIN...!!!!  :o

Like a Reverso but in your standard case shape!

That movement reminds me a lot of GP's Three Bridges too...

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:32:49 AM by bulletnos »

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2022, 08:56:13 AM »
For a watch design thats been around for more than 150 years, GP really did an amazing job on the recent iterations of the  Three Bridges and the execution of it, especially with them Flying Bridges. Matte black coating on red gold, polishing n buffing the edges to bring out the accents, keeping the contrast... Very tastefully done. I usually think that, from a utilitarian stand point, white gold is a more practical piece for me in my personal life. But every once in a while, something like this pops up and really emphasizes just how spot on and classy red gold can be, especially so with black accents.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2022, 09:01:09 AM »
On another note, the new Kurono Shiro is gonna be out next Thu going for USD3.7k a pop. I dunno why, but this dial reminds me of ultraman  :laugh:

Offline hmkpwatches

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2022, 09:11:01 PM »
Quite nice!

Offline jf98

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2022, 09:00:16 AM »
Love the new Kurono Shiro! Wonder how hard it's gonna be to pre order  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 09:40:03 AM »
Love the new Kurono Shiro! Wonder how hard it's gonna be to pre order  :Laughing_on_floor:

Gotta start crunching some scripts di if wanna have a serious chance  :Laughing_on_floor:

Unit limited releases are always gonna be challenging la kan? No openings announced for pre-existing customers either. At least the last Toki release was limited by time, still had chance to pick up, albeit a really long delivery time.

I kinda like this particular variant of his chrono as opposed to the previous one, this dial seems much more legible and easy on the eyes.

Offline jf98

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 12:34:01 PM »

Gotta start crunching some scripts di if wanna have a serious chance  :Laughing_on_floor:

Unit limited releases are always gonna be challenging la kan? No openings announced for pre-existing customers either. At least the last Toki release was limited by time, still had chance to pick up, albeit a really long delivery time.

I kinda like this particular variant of his chrono as opposed to the previous one, this dial seems much more legible and easy on the eyes.

Better get those scripts done by Thursday la, else need to tumpang some Japanese friends  :Laughing_on_floor:
But yes i agree, the red and white combo works better than the previous one for me. Still not sure about the price though, all in with shipping and taxes price landed here will be RM18k or so?  :-\

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 09:16:11 AM »
Yeah that sounds about right. Watch + postage + duty should be about there. It does seem like a chunk of dough to commit, thatprice puts it close to Moonwatch territory already. Then again, the flip side is even larger still, and I suppose it is a pleasant looking piece.

Offline jf98

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2022, 11:51:20 AM »
Yup, that's what i was thinking as well. Can get a used 1861 for similar money. Not too sure how much the Shiro can go for on grey market either. Surely not above 20k right?  ???

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2022, 08:44:17 AM »
Apparently it is, as it turns out. There are a number of listings of the various iterations of the kurono chronographs on various sites asking for prices northwards of USD5k. But then again, asking price is one thing, as to whether anyone would purchase them at those prices would be another matter.

Offline jf98

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2022, 10:11:32 AM »
Yes i've seen several Chrono 2 listed just above USD5k on C24 and some other platforms. Highly doubt they all can sell at those prices. Might be a good buy around $3.5k but for $5k++?  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Cocas

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2022, 11:45:31 AM »

there are even few normal small watch companies purposely turning themselves to become a microbrand, eg. Maurice Lacroix, Ball, Louis Erard...etc.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2022, 08:19:04 AM »
Eh, small companies becoming microbrands? Interesting, I didn't realize that. What is the impetus for such a shift? Negative market forces and downsizing? Hmm can't be though, the demand for luxury items right now is pretty hyped up. Is it for some kind of perceived value / exclusivity?