Author Topic: Recommendation for first Rolex (Yachtmaster vs Air King)  (Read 6157 times)

Offline DanW1986

Recommendation for first Rolex (Yachtmaster vs Air King)
« on: June 17, 2021, 06:26:45 PM »
Hi all,

Planning to get my first Rolex. Was thinking of the older Yachtmaster 16622 with platinum bezel and dial or the newer pre-owned Air King.

My budget is around RM35k. What do you all think? I am open for more suggestions too.. the watch will be my day to day watch.. and i usually am on smart casual with jeans..

Yachtmaster

Air King

Offline dualcarb

Re: Recommendation for first Rolex (Yachtmaster vs Air King)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 05:01:22 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum. My suggestion would be to go try them both on and see which you prefer. They both wear very very differently. The YM is more “dressy” and is slimmer, while the Air King has a thicker case due to the anti magnetic features. It is also a touch bulkier. So go put them on your wrist first…

Offline RyanLiang

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 08:44:58 AM »
Airking will be sportier.
Suitable when u wearing jeans.

16622 is much slimmer and make u look older, depending your age.
Just my personal opinion.

If you prefer slimmer watch, go for sub date 16610LN, this will be an evergreen watch.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline swleong

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 10:10:21 AM »
Do you really like the watches? or just because they are Rolex that fit your budget?

If you really like it, then like some members suggested, go put them on wrist and decide.

If you are the latter, I personally would put my money somewhere else instead of the hyped Rolex price tag now. Not so bad on the YM, but you are about to pay RM10k premium on the AK.

Just my 2 cents opinion.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 10:16:24 AM by swleong »

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 12:23:08 PM »
Definitely the Yachtmaster between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 12:29:43 PM »
Given a choice  between the 2, YachtMaster. But honestly, I'd rather spend my money on something else and save the premium.

Offline Champ66

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 06:36:46 PM »
Yachtmaster thumbs up

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 04:48:57 PM »
This model Yachtmaster is only available pre-owned now. Most grey dealers "refinish" the bezel before selling because it's one of those bezels that scratch just by you looking at it..  :Scolding: and since it's platinum with polished and sand-blasted surface, most of these outside service simply use white gold to work on it and that creates a very different shine.

It has also more than doubled in price over the last 10 years and used to be among the most unwanted ROLEX because of the platinum dial, second only to the white Explorer 2 16570.

Is it worth the 32-38k asking price now depending on age? I really don't think so with the new 126622 at 46k with a newer bracelet, clasp, 70 hr movement and 5 year warranty.

The Air-King is another anomaly.. a watch nobody even knows about before grey dealers were asking a premium on the grey market.. even on the ROLEX website, you got to scroll right to the end after the Pearlmaster..

At 25k list price, are you willing to pay the 38k asking now? No lume, no date, 3131 movement with 48 hrs power when even the similarly priced Explorer 124270 has a 3230 with 70 hours power reserve? I even find 25k a bit difficult to swallow...

Offline Mike9191

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 07:00:52 PM »
No body can decide for you . That is the watch you wear for everyday ... just buy what you love ... you can go try for both watches before you buy ... cheers brother

??? iPhone ????? Tapatalk

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 08:25:08 AM »
Between the two I'd say the Yacht Master but personally I'd go to the AD and ask for a Datejust 41 for as my first Rolex. You get the iconic, timeless Rolex design, Date function, and 70 hr reserve. You may have to wait in today's market, but I think it'll be worth it to experience it at the AD.

Datejust 41s make great everyday wear, they're very versatile, dress up or dress down; they go with all kinds of attire from jeans, shorts, suits, etc.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 09:23:28 AM »
YMwith PM Bezel is in diff Category compared to entry level Airking...can’t compare

Buy what u like..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 10:19:52 AM »
Between the two I'd say the Yacht Master but personally I'd go to the AD and ask for a Datejust 41 for as my first Rolex. You get the iconic, timeless Rolex design, Date function, and 70 hr reserve. You may have to wait in today's market, but I think it'll be worth it to experience it at the AD.

Datejust 41s make great everyday wear, they're very versatile, dress up or dress down; they go with all kinds of attire from jeans, shorts, suits, etc.

The YM is unique in that it looks like a Submariner Date but wears slimmer due to the 100m rating instead of 300m and curved lugs, polished centre links and the iconic platinum bezel with (then) platinum dial. In short, the dressier version of the Submariner Date. Sporty dress watch but controversial to some. Sadly they no longer produce the platinum dial and replaced with rhodium/grey but still keep the platinum bezel for steel version.

It's not popular because the steel model is generally priced RM10k above the steel Submariner Date.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 10:34:32 AM »
Strangely , YM never got much love over the years, even their grey pricing also not ideal...

I hardly seen much plp wearing YM...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 10:50:45 AM »
Strangely , YM never got much love over the years, even their grey pricing also not ideal...

1. They're more expensive than a Submariner Date at retail.
2. The platinum dial is an acquired taste as most people prefer black dials.
3. The polished centre links makes it unsuitable as a steel tool watch (although) nobody complained about the Daytona.
4. The platinum bezel is very easy to scratch and very difficult to refinish outside of RSC.

I sure do wish the grey pricing was much lower so I can get a discontinued 116622 with platinum dial but apparently that's no easy feat. So had to get the next best thing, hoping to one day swap with a platinum dial....

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 10:59:01 AM »

1. They're more expensive than a Submariner Date at retail.
2. The platinum dial is an acquired taste as most people prefer black dials.
3. The polished centre links makes it unsuitable as a steel tool watch (although) nobody complained about the Daytona.
4. The platinum bezel is very easy to scratch and very difficult to refinish outside of RSC.

I sure do wish the grey pricing was much lower so I can get a discontinued 116622 with platinum dial but apparently that's no easy feat. So had to get the next best thing, hoping to one day swap with a platinum dial....

Well spotted. They was a lot of saying plp who can afford a yacht don’t buy ym..lolx . I could be wrong..

Huge effort is needed to prevent bezel from scratches..

Offline thewatchmalaysia

• https://www.instagram.com/thewatchmalaysia/
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 01:33:11 PM »
Pick your own poison, what you like should be decided by yourself, but if for me myself I go for yachtmaster

Sent from my CPH1919 using Tapatalk

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 06:10:22 AM »
I personally would go for the Air King as it has the classic rolex design. The Yatch Master in my opinion looks like a Tag.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 07:03:57 PM »
Wifey picks the Airking. Aesthetically more quirky and sporty. And more importantly easier to teach our daughter how to read time   :D

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2021, 08:06:54 PM »
Wifey picks the Airking. Aesthetically more quirky and sporty. And more importantly easier to teach our daughter how to read time   :D

Careful...your daughter might want one too.. ;D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2021, 09:08:54 PM »

Careful...your daughter might want one too.. ;D

Plenty at the pasar malam....

Offline Champ66

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2021, 11:02:54 PM »
Ladies prefer air King because it look more feminine

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2021, 09:47:25 AM »
Given the two, I prefer the YM. Or an equivalent Tag.

In all seriousness, as someone already commented, both YM And AK were scraping the bottom barrel not too long ago. In the inflated shortage, these have come up, but make no mistake - still at the bottom of the barrel.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2021, 10:06:53 AM »
YM is more elegant , Air King more functional ...

Can’t compare, YM costs almost twice of AK...

Offline hanteong

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2021, 11:59:32 AM »
not same price range, but airking yellow crown will be discontinued...
Sporty and Watch lovers

Offline Alex K

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2021, 11:16:52 PM »
I'm too wanted to go for the Air King, but looking at the current market conditions, paying premium I straight pull hand break, those days ppl still can walk into AD and get it on retail price, buy now is all about goreng.