Author Topic: Laser Welding  (Read 3121 times)

Offline dpkong

Laser Welding
« on: April 01, 2021, 10:08:47 PM »

Recently, many shops are providing watch polishing service and some even promote laser welding.

My curiousity is how reliable is this laser welding technique in the long term? Will there be discolouration at the welded spot in future? Is the added metal the same type/grade as the original metal? What about case integrity?

I'm not sure if the equipment operator understands as much about metallurgy as they do about how to operate the equipment.

Anyone has input?

Offline bimmerman

• Dating for unattached relationships
Re: Laser Welding
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 10:00:36 AM »
Great question!

Found this on the interweb: https://www.rolliworks.com/post/904l-laser-welding-case-repair-126600-deep-sea-dweller

A service provider called Rolliworks who actually uses 904L fill materrial when working with Rolex watches. They provide 'before and after' shots in high magnification and to my eyes their work looks amazing and indistinguishable from new.

Only problem is they're overseas based and how good our local services are remains to be seen.

Watching this topic with keen interest.

Offline c4all

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 04:42:54 PM »
Well, you did mention that it is offered recently so i am not sure if there is significant data available to answer your queries. From my own experience having sent my watch for the same process, you cannot tell that work has been done to it other than the angles are less sharp as compared to before.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 10:21:07 PM »

My use of the word recently is to mean that many people now offer this laser welding service locally. I've heard about it some time ago but there were very few who had the tools for it. Now it seems more common so the questions arise as to the expertise of the people using the equipment and the quality of the work.

If laser welding was a good way to fix severe damage, then why are the authorised service centres providing the same kind of service? I'm sure ROLEX doesn't since the watches that came back did not have deep dents removed.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 06:25:56 PM »
As far as I know, severe damage is dealt by the service centre by replacing the whole case. Costs a lot though. As for laser welding, I think it is only meant to repair severe cosmetic damage. As for the expertise, I would think it is up to the shop to wager their reputation when offering this service. Bad news will spread very fast so they would want to avoid stuffing up. For long-term data, I think you would have to look at the reviews from overseas. Like bro c4all mentioned, since it is only offered recently here in Malaysia; there are not enough user reviews locally to properly answer your queries.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy