Author Topic: Waiting Lists  (Read 22798 times)

Offline WHLiew

Waiting Lists
« on: September 13, 2019, 03:47:45 PM »
Hi MWF folks, I’m newbie to luxury watches and have heard numerous “horror stories” regarding waiting list (the infamous Rolex sports models and Patek’s Nautilus). I have some queries on waiting list and hope you veterans can give some advice:

1. Is it a requirement to place deposits to be on the list?
2. Do those who place deposits stand a higher chance of getting a call from ADs than those who do not?
3. Do ADs contact buyers according to the order of the waiting lists or it is at their discretion (read: whoever they like)?
4. How should one follow up on the status and how often do you normally do that?
5. Which ADs would you recommend?

Thank you!

Offline Yikkie

Re: Waiting Lists
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 10:06:42 PM »
Waiting lists simply don't exist for popular models from PP, AP and Rolex.  You won't get one even if you were to pay in full for it nor will they allow you to do so. You will need to "build" a relationship with the AD by buying other watches and eventually have an impressive enough purchase history to be allocated a hot model at RRP.  If that is too much trouble, just buy one at a premium or better still, buy other brands. 

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Watchxcraze

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 01:19:55 AM »
 doesn't really matter whether your pay any deposit. All you need to do is to have good spending record and have good relationship with the ADs.

Offline cheesycake7

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 03:47:16 AM »
Like everyone else mentioned, without a purchase history it’s nearly impossible to get the rare watches.

Deposit doesn’t mean a thing at all, and in addition to purchase history I think good conversations with the AD is important.

Lastly, be nice to them. I’ve heard ADs talking about rude big spenders who demands rare pieces quickly - they don’t like that.

If too much hassle, just go grey :)

Offline WHLiew

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys but HOLY SH*T! ADs have so much power that they’re making Kim Jong-un jealous.
But seriously, I am quite hesitant to splash cash on buying watches I don’t really like just to build relationships with (or rather, to please) the ADs.
Didn’t know waiting list was just an illusion  :'(

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 03:27:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys but HOLY SH*T! ADs have so much power that they’re making Kim Jong-un jealous.
But seriously, I am quite hesitant to splash cash on buying watches I don’t really like just to build relationships with (or rather, to please) the ADs.
Didn’t know waiting list was just an illusion  :'(

Not really, Tudor waiting list is real

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline toypoodle

• In God We Trust
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »
Waiting list, what waiting list :D :D :D .......... Ask to see the store supervisor or manager, hand your business card in wrist wearing Patek Nautilus, ask for the model you want within certain time frame, confirm to pay cash ......... Certainly the person will personally hand deliver it to your office well before the stipulated time frame. Of course, must guarantee to settle in full by banker cheque or credit card.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 08:13:46 AM »
Waiting list, what waiting list :D :D :D .......... Ask to see the store supervisor or manager, hand your business card in wrist wearing Patek Nautilus, ask for the model you want within certain time frame, confirm to pay cash ......... Certainly the person will personally hand deliver it to your office well before the stipulated time frame. Of course, must guarantee to settle in full by banker cheque or credit card.

Tried. Didnt work. There is always another more preferred customer.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 03:32:31 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 03:35:27 PM »
If only it wuz that easy bro.  If only. 

Offline francis226

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 03:59:38 PM »

I doubt this would work...even geeting a PP Nautilus also not easy

Offline Cocas

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »

PP limits its yearly watch production to only 50k pieces.

It's more worse than Rolex.

Offline WHLiew

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 05:22:24 PM »

But will patience pay off? I don’t mind waiting for 8-10 years for a Nautilus (yet), but looks like Rolex’s waiting list doesn’t exist at all.

Offline Watchxcraze

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 11:09:21 PM »

Doesn't work unless you bought the Nautilus from them

Offline sshark

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 07:50:50 AM »

What a navie thought. It is a joke,right? Unless you have already bought an entire collection from them and continue to buy new models from them. I don't think you get that kinda of service. Selling you a PP nautilus or sports rolex  is a favor they repay your patronage

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 07:59:05 AM »

But will patience pay off? I don’t mind waiting for 8-10 years for a Nautilus (yet), but looks like Rolex’s waiting list doesn’t exist at all.
If you think Rolex waiting list does not exist, PP is even more elusive when it comes to the Aquanaut and Nautilus.  The market is such that you need to have spent millions on other watches, royalty, renowned celebrity or all of the above before they will even think of allocating you a Nautilus (especially a 5711) at RRP. 

Offline Cocas

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »
In short, they market their watches in such a way that the watches are so premium and only their defined "high class" VIP are eligible to own their watches.

Offline francis226

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 01:28:45 PM »
My AD told me, Rolex SA trying to up Tudor brand level to take over Rolex and Rolex going up to AP level. Not sure how true is this. If this is true, soon we will see nothing at Tudor counter too.  ;D

Offline toypoodle

• In God We Trust
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
It's really baffled me as to why some people is just so lucky :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline axaxax

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »

What a navie thought. It is a joke,right? Unless you have already bought an entire collection from them and continue to buy new models from them. I don't think you get that kinda of service. Selling you a PP nautilus or sports rolex  is a favor they repay your patronage
True. That's just for the entry professional models. Inquired for an associate of mine that is looking for the rainbow WG daytona the other day and was told not to bother as the AD only receives it 3 pieces a year. Mind you, that's after i referred my business partner that spent over 400k with them for a company annual dinner giveaway. They did offered a batgirl as consolation

One of the story I've heard was that since there are alot of walk in clients. Some SA would marked the sales as referral by cahooting with an outsider using the referrals as justification to sell a particular hot model to these trusted referee in order to flip the watch outside.

*disclaimer. Story above is merely shared as entertainment and not reffering to any particular party or person. Story above cannot be substantiated by 1st party account(s) nor should it be taken as factual. If you choose to believe it, I would not take responsibility and indemnify myself against any legal liability.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline cheesycake7

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 12:22:05 AM »
My AD told me, Rolex SA trying to up Tudor brand level to take over Rolex and Rolex going up to AP level. Not sure how true is this. If this is true, soon we will see nothing at Tudor counter too.  ;D

With the numbers Rolex are producing, very hard for them to hit the AP level. Yes, price-wise their professional models are selling for a lot, but horologically speaking AP is still a notch better.

Offline W3ll

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2019, 09:01:24 AM »
In conclusion, you need to proof to your AD how much profit you can help them make by buying their other brand watches then they will consider letting you play in their "preferential" waiting list..

If they don't know you and you went in straight and ask for a popular model, they will just entertain you with no stock or waiting list 10 years.. hahaha

Offline cheesycake7

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 12:37:22 PM »
Well if OP is after just 1 or 2 professional watches, can consider going grey. Will cost a lot more money and time to build up a relationship to get the watches.

Offline nelson_ling

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 12:50:03 PM »
Ask yourself, how many rolex(s) you can afford? if you're just after 1 or 2, grey market is better, pay the premium and you can have it on the spot. While waiting list on AD, you have no idea when they are going to call you or did they actually put down your name on it...

Offline W3ll

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2019, 08:18:56 AM »
During the days where the premium to pay is within 2 -3k range , that is acceptable , but not when it is RM10K and above kind of premium.. i have personally met someone who paid 30k premium for a pepsi and he was shock that he didn't even know he paid that much for one because he didn't know the retail of one in the first place..