Author Topic: Malaysian salary and expensive watches  (Read 14443 times)

Offline freakfingers12

Malaysian salary and expensive watches
« on: January 02, 2017, 07:05:25 AM »
Hi all, I have an interesting topic in mind today. With our salary-standards of living ratio being so high right now, it really makes me wonder how can people afford expensive watches like Omega, AP, IWC and A. Lange and sohne. I'm just a typical degree holder working in a corporate company for its benefits and I find it difficult to even own a new watch once a year. It's an extra luxury for me to have one. How do people afford to just buy one just because they want one?

It's really different when compared with people of other countries, heck, just taking Singapore for example, my friend is earning the same as me, but buying the same watch over there is only 1/3 of the price here. It's really really unfair.

What kinda work or salary do we need to earn in order for us to afford these luxuries?

Offline samuelazz

• Freshie
Re: Malaysian salary and expensive watches
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
I guess it depends on priorities. Some has more expensive cars than their home.

I also seen some has watches more expensive than their cars :laugh:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:43:45 AM »
This is the reason why we need minimal wage laws. Currently our salaries follow through what we pay for the most menial jobs. Since those jobs are taken mostly by non Malaysians, their rights to a fair wage is seldom protected. Unfortunately, thinking it is smart to minimise their pay, the effects get transmitted through the system and indirectly affects all. You chose Singapore as an example. Having minimal wages is the great balancer to allows a fair distribution of disposable income. All the developed nations in the world have this is common.

Good think we have effected this law here but there are a lot of push back due to direct cost effect. If only we can realised the positive indirect effect to the whole economy.

Haha...am sounding like an economic professor.

On your other question about what job is the best, my personal advice - do what you like and everything will fall in place.

Final advice - life is not about what's fair or not. All of us must do the best and hopefully the efforts get rewarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline freakfingers12

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
Thanks for all the serious replies. I guess I must have sounded like I rant a little. I'm just venting the frustration of lusting over a watch I can't afford. Haha lol.
@meoramri, talking about minimum wages, our country's is RM1000 effective July of last year if not mistaken, however Singapore doesn't have a minimum wage except for cleaners they do have minimum wage of $1000.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 03:51:30 PM »
Thanks for all the serious replies. I guess I must have sounded like I rant a little. I'm just venting the frustration of lusting over a watch I can't afford. Haha lol.
@meoramri, talking about minimum wages, our country's is RM1000 effective July of last year if not mistaken, however Singapore doesn't have a minimum wage except for cleaners they do have minimum wage of $1000.

That is the minimum wage in Singapore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Cocas

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
Hi all, I have an interesting topic in mind today. With our salary-standards of living ratio being so high right now, it really makes me wonder how can people afford expensive watches like Omega, AP, IWC and A. Lange and sohne. I'm just a typical degree holder working in a corporate company for its benefits and I find it difficult to even own a new watch once a year. It's an extra luxury for me to have one. How do people afford to just buy one just because they want one?

It's really different when compared with people of other countries, heck, just taking Singapore for example, my friend is earning the same as me, but buying the same watch over there is only 1/3 of the price here. It's really really unfair.

What kinda work or salary do we need to earn in order for us to afford these luxuries?

Actually by comparing income per capita between Malaysia and Singapore, you can roughly gauge the difference in  purchasing power towards these luxurious watches from these 2 countries.

Offline freakfingers12

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 06:42:10 PM »

Actually by comparing income per capita between Malaysia and Singapore, you can roughly gauge the difference in  purchasing power towards these luxurious watches from these 2 countries.

Oh yeah, that made sense. It explains why we can afford lesser.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 05:56:44 AM »

That's why the pre-owned market is flourishing.

Offline niaochu

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 06:43:24 PM »
actually it makes sense to buy preowned watch with the rising costs and all. no downside in buying a well taken cared watch

Offline opp61

• Newbie to this forum
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 08:40:46 AM »
For me, focus on what we can get and do the best we can in our situation.

In life we all have choices.

I am grateful that I can make choices in life vs others who are in situations where they do not have options.

I can choose to spend my time focusing on what I do not have and be unhappy.

I don't have a AP or a Corum Single bridge but hey its ok..If you have one, please share your experience owning one.

At least I get something from that experience. A new sharing. .

Offline Cocas

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Watch enthusiasm is nothing about owning expensive watches but to appreciate and understand the watches.

Stay focus and do the best that you are good at. You will get there. :thumbsup:

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 07:09:33 PM »
Can’t compare Malaysia with Singapore. It’s  one of the most expensive cities to live in. Dollar for dollar, it’s hard to compare. Our food and houses are cheaper. Heck...not many in Singapore gets to live in a house.

Watches? I agree with bro Meor and Cocas. A job that you love and ensuring that your finances are in place i.e. savings, investments, insurance etc...put aside a little every month for a watch fund.

The love for watches is not only limited to the big and expensive brands. There are smaller brands just as good and beautiful. Like Nomos, Sinn and Laco just to name a few. Enjoy your career and life...and the rest really will follow...

Offline bimmerman

• Dating for unattached relationships
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »
Give and take I suppose. Some thing are actually cheaper for Singaporeans in Singapore than Malaysians in Malaysia. Dollar for dollar you can get chicken rice in the island republic for 3.50 while in Malaysia it's pushing 7. Internet for 1Gbps in Singapore is $49 a month while in Malaysia, erm... it's not available but 20Mbps is already RM129 thereabouts. Just to quote a few but it's not all that expensive to survive in Singapore compared to Malaysia.

Offline maxthecat80

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 06:24:33 PM »
The thing abt this hobby is that, there is always something to buy..most of the time, more expensive lol

So, its important to get your priorities straight, spend only what you can afford and good practices such as -

- buying 2nd hand where possible
- limiting the number of watches
- learning to not only buy but also sell
- never buy on debt etc

Just because I cant dribble like Messi, doesnt mean I cant enjoy football right?

Same case here. Not everyone can afford a Patek, AP etc but there always alternatives esp mass market like Seiko and micro brands..all represent good value..

The joy as always is in the 'hunting'

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Salience

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 12:21:05 AM »
i think it is nothing about salary because you buy whatever you can within your budget and willingness to spend. if you have extra savings or bonus, even with a 5k salary but 10 month bonus (work in bank eg), you can still can a rolex

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 08:25:05 AM »
Yes I agreed on 5k salary can save up for a rolex, watches doesn't devalue that much compare to lets say invest a car, sometimes u earn somemore from a rolex by time. Lets sat u don't have much commitment and can save 2k a month, a full year not including your bonus u can already owned a 16610 submariner! The best part is u sell it with smile in yr face few years later.

Offline dstudio10

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »
here are my 2cents..

msia has a lower purchasing power relative to singapore n most of the 1st world countries .... that means we generally can't afford a more expensive watch for the same job we do compare to our neighbour in singapore ... at the same time, my overeseas friends mentioned to me that malaysia is among the cheapest place to shop for watches (not sure how true)..

last point, also because we don't have a big demand for expensive watches, we do get the latest model slowly and sometime not at all..

i am new in this forum, and it surprised me to see that many in this forum could own nice pieces.. thanks

Offline Chris

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 12:39:00 PM »
here are my 2cents..

msia has a lower purchasing power relative to singapore n most of the 1st world countries .... that means we generally can't afford a more expensive watch for the same job we do compare to our neighbour in singapore ... at the same time, my overeseas friends mentioned to me that malaysia is among the cheapest place to shop for watches (not sure how true)..

last point, also because we don't have a big demand for expensive watches, we do get the latest model slowly and sometime not at all..

i am new in this forum, and it surprised me to see that many in this forum could own nice pieces.. thanks

Yes I think as for now currently malaysia has the cheaper option as we don't have gst. Even when I went to AP boutique, they told me that Malaysia is the cheapest among singapore, hk and bangkok.

Offline aariff

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 07:45:48 PM »
Someone said it was about priority and I agree. Everybody has their little vices which could include watches, cars, stereo systems etc. I guess saving up the bonus would help

Offline wateveritis

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 02:04:53 PM »
talking about this topic, probably many out there who owns expensive watches and they dont have time to even join this forum. Referring to recent news, Sapura Energy's CEO is earning 200k daily.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 08:20:25 PM »

If you just work somewhere for it's benefits, then you're just going to be another employee earning the minimum wage.....

Offline Cocas

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 09:14:25 PM »
Another route is that you patiently waiting for 2 decades to build your career.

If you make it , certainly you are affordable to high end watches and to enjoy the watches that you owned

Offline mikecheong1798

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 01:52:20 PM »
Salary vs inflation ..

Offline Zanyxxlorde

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2019, 12:05:31 PM »
How is the preowned market in singapore anyway hmm ???? is is it better in terms of price

Offline francis226

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2019, 01:23:01 AM »
it depends on how you prioritize your needs with your income

some people work hard & smart, save the money to invest. then rewards themselve with good watches.

some people save money to buy luxury watches, while their bank also zero dollar

i have seen people with RMB 5k salary but wearing a hulk on his wrist  ;D