Author Topic: Speedmaster Mk 4.5 from a visit to MWF shop  (Read 18289 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Speedmaster Mk 4.5 from a visit to MWF shop
« on: February 08, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
I had a bad feeling when I was going to the MWF shop this afternoon, supposedly to meet up and view a friend's beautiful Credor coz I left with this….(confirms my lack of control where watches are concerned)

OMEGA

SPEEDMASTER Mark 4.5
Chronograph
Automatic 1045 Calibre Movement (Lemania 5100)
Day/Date function
Stainless Steel case with Seamaster caseback
Approx 42mm x 45mm
Original Signed Omega crown
Circa from 1974-1984
Ref - ST 176.0012
Completely refurbished at Omega Bienne in 2010 but keeping the 'patina' dial

Links on vintage Omegas incl Mk 4.5

http://omegaforums.net/threads/mk-4-5-speedy-query.5458/

http://www.chronomaddox.com/MarkSeries.html

http://chronomaddox.com/c1045.html

Price range of vintage Mk 4.5

http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/ref-1760012.htm

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=204122

A super mint copy but pricy…

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-omega-speedmaster-mark-4-5-ref-176-0012-lemania-5100-a-858567.html

but I'm happy…and that's the most impt thing... ;D
I really am getting old as I'm starting to really like the older watch designs from 70s-80s much more than the current ones..
Next is the Mk II Speedmaster
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:50:51 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
Re: Speedmaster Mk 4.5 from a visit to MWF shop
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »
Congrats!! That's a pristine vintage piece. Cool!

:Cheers:
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline rainbowfix

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:12:03 PM »
Congrats!  Super sharp case! :Cheers:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »
thank you for your kind comments..
both of you have some very lovely vintages….
I'm a vintage super noobie…

This watch belonged to another MWF Mod who has a nice collection of other vintage Omegas..

Altho the watch underwent full service and refinishing at Omega Bienne end-2010, the original dial, day & date wheels were kept.
I'm not sure if I should keep it this way or have the dial, day and date wheels changed to new ones to match the newish looking hands…
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:46:52 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:44:36 PM »
That's a beautiful watch. And the OCD in me would change the dial and day date wheels since I know I'd keep the watch...do let us know wheat you decide to do eventually. And enjoy the watch...

DC

thank you for your kind comments..

This watch belonged to another MWF Mod who has a nice collection of other vintage Omegas..

Altho the watch underwent full service and refinishing at Omega Bienne end-2010, the original dial, day & date wheels were kept.
I'm not sure if I should keep it this way or have the dial, day and date wheels changed to new ones to match the newish looking hands…

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:54:34 PM »
Thanks DC…
If and when I have the dial, day and date wheels changed I'm sure I'll post up the revived Mk4.5..

One of the main concerns is that if I decide to send it in, I'm sure it'll be gone for at least 4-6 months…. :'( :-\ :( ???

Like you I like my watches looking newish.. that's why I haven't ventured into vintage watches to-date..

What a completely refurbished Mk 4.5 will look like..

http://omegaforums.net/threads/fsot-1970s-speedmaster-mk-4-5-ref-176-012-freshly-restored-by-omega.8010/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:02:32 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline Ek lex

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »
Nice piece Jos ! I'm not a vintage lover, but this may be the beginning...

As for me, not a fan of patinas, I will definitely have the mentioned parts changed, further, it's a big contrast to all the hands, looks like wearing full suit with a short pant, just my 2 cents...

No doubt, I can't stop looking at it, the very much protected tachymetre attracted me, so beautiful! and so practical as well, the new speedy pro with exposed tachymetre always attract scratches, dents, chips, worse, all these are not repairable !

Hmmm... Yum! Wear in good health!  :Cheers:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 09:38:51 PM »
Thank Ek lex,
I'm no vintage aficionado too..except for a few of my own pieces that I kept from my young days..
Like you, I love the look of the Mk series…
I used to have the newer Speedy Moonphase and PO chrono but after a few short years I sold them off and haven't missed them since.
Wishing you a journey into vintage starting soon with an excellent piece too...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:40:32 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 10:30:26 PM »
Thank you Joseph for the great links, just learned something new today. :thumbsup:

Offline theseira

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 10:39:14 PM »
Nice piece congrats!

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 10:50:50 PM »
You're most welcome @[email protected] vintage journey is not as painful as the modern high horology pieces.. ;D but fun all the same… its the research and info behind all these pieces that makes the journey interesting..
All your recent watch purchases have been excellent choices…the ALS, the AP… :thumbsup:

Thanks theseira, you have some pretty heavy hitters in your arsenal…. :thumbsup:

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 11:28:18 PM »
You're most welcome @[email protected] vintage journey is not as painful as the modern high horology pieces.. ;D but fun all the same… its the research and info behind all these pieces that makes the journey interesting..
All your recent watch purchases have been excellent choices…the ALS, the AP… :thumbsup:

Thanks to the mods' effort at this forum and your advice to a newbie to try everything before we'll know what we want to collect.  :D

Now having compiled a nice small collection, I'll use this year to seriously sit, enjoy and determine which are the ones I can't live without and hope to consolidate to only three pieces by year end. (Provided no more poisoning stuff comes out from the watch review section. )

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 04:38:05 AM »
Congrats Jos, the Mark 4.5 with a good hand now  :thumbsup:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 02:58:08 PM »
@tsw@
did I give you that advise to try everything?
perhaps not everything but try those that speak to your heart and see how long they last.. that will decide which your keepers are

ck77
Its all the time been in good hands under the previous owner who took good care of it..
I'm just lucky he has finally decided to let it go..

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 06:32:28 AM »
@tsw@
did I give you that advise to try everything?
perhaps not everything but try those that speak to your heart and see how long they last.. that will decide which your keepers are

ck77
Its all the time been in good hands under the previous owner who took good care of it..
I'm just lucky he has finally decided to let it go..

Agreed, I buy watches which speak to my heart not what others say.  :thumbsup:
Seiko fan.....

Offline enkil

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
Congrats!  Sharp looking watch.  :thumbsup:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 02:25:53 PM »
jos - if mwf shop hv ur photo... i believe this watch will not ended on ur hand. should hv sold long....

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 02:33:35 PM »
hahaha..
I took only 1 pic of this watch with iphone only la.. ???

not using a camera n macro lens.. :P

maybe it looks good because I aredy polish and clean up the watch after buying it...
 ;D

jos - if mwf shop hv ur photo... i believe this watch will not ended on ur hand. should hv sold long....

Thank you.. The previous owner looked after it well.

Congrats!  Sharp looking watch.  :thumbsup:

Offline nam_s

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 07:37:12 AM »
Just love those rocket style dial... :thumbsup:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »
do you mean the flight hand?

Thanks..

Just love those rocket style dial... :thumbsup:

Offline Ek lex

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 09:20:12 AM »
Jos, how do you polish the brush area? Those polisher in the market eg Brasso normally give a high shine polish effect.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
This piece was completely refurbished at Omega Bienne Switzerland, meaning they refinished the whole watch case as well.
I only cleaned up the dirt and grime stuck in the watch using a brush, soap n water and finally buff it lightly with alcohol cleaning liquid.

Some members have suggested using 3M scouring pad for brushed areas. I haven't tried it and dare not either.
Perhaps those who are experts in it can show the rest of us at a gtg.. :Cheers: OR start a thread on how to polish brushed surfaces...

Jos, how do you polish the brush area? Those polisher in the market eg Brasso normally give a high shine polish effect.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:31:08 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline h.chang

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
Great looking watch, my favourite shape. Lucky you!

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 05:54:33 PM »
This piece was completely refurbished at Omega Bienne Switzerland, meaning they refinished the whole watch case as well.
I only cleaned up the dirt and grime stuck in the watch using a brush, soap n water and finally buff it lightly with alcohol cleaning liquid.

Some members have suggested using 3M scouring pad for brushed areas. I haven't tried it and dare not either.
Perhaps those who are experts in it can show the rest of us at a gtg.. :Cheers: OR start a thread on how to polish brushed surfaces...

An article on how to polish brushed surfaces is in the pipeline, will touch on the 3M method too. Keep a look out, coming soon. :)
Seiko fan.....

Offline Ek lex

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 11:08:54 AM »
maybe it looks good because I aredy polish and clean up the watch after buying it...

Ok Jos, thanks, looking at your statement I thought you did the polish yourself, the brushed area really looks as good as new! :=)

Thanks JeepWH for the upcoming sharing, very much looking fwd to it  :Cheers: