Author Topic: Why exactly does some watches stay longer in a collection?  (Read 6361 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Why exactly does some watches stay longer in a collection?
« on: April 17, 2012, 07:08:39 PM »
I guess we have all come across this scenario one way or another....

We see a watch that we really like, made the necessary research, pull the trigger... go home a happy man.
Relationship with the watch is lovey dovey at 1st.
Love the watch more and more...
And then suddenly... out of the blue... no love anymore...
Rinse and repeat...

I mean I have gone thru this process numerous times.
Why have the affection for certain watches in our collection wane while some seems to tug on the heartstrings more?
All the watches have been bought with the same enthusiasm and love as any other...
Yet, some pieces just kinda lost the spark.

Most of us have good things to say about a watch we have just bought.
The affection, the detail, the beauty, how the light reflects, the dial, the movement and etc...
Then, a few months down the road... flip it...

Anyone here is in the same page?
Comments? Thoughts?
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline gloomis

Re: Why exactly does some watches stay longer in a collection?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:16:46 PM »
bro,

1. human tent to like new n fresh meat
2. another way is human always not appreciate what they have and owned, always chasing ahead
3. things never got or own always is the dream of having it

Offline Everdying

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:40:46 PM »
if the watch has some emotional attachment, eg. a loved one gave it to you, then most likely it will never ever leave...be it a casio or whatever.
other than that, its all just burning bigger holes in pockets.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:26:32 PM »
Bro!! I am in the exact same boat as you. Only now i develop a method. Once I see 'the one', i walk away ( no matter what sort of regrets that my mind can come up with by walking away) and see how it makes me feel. If i can go home and sleep, eat, work and proceed with life then I know I made the right move to not purchase it. If all i think about is the watch, then its got to come home with me. Made me pass on many potential flipper pieces and more focus on what i want. There is nothing worse than an impulse purchase.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:50:02 PM »

We see a watch that we really like, made the necessary research, pull the trigger... go home a happy man.
Rinse and repeat...

Why have the affection for certain watches in our collection wane while some seems to tug on the heartstrings more?
All the watches have been bought with the same enthusiasm and love as any other...

The affection, the detail, the beauty, how the light reflects, the dial, the movement and etc...

Comments? Thoughts?

Haih, i hate love hate relationship with my omega speedy broad arrow reissue. When i did not wear it i tend to think about junking/sell it to the shop where i initially got it from.

But when i do actually wore em, i suddenly fell in love with the watch again and changed my mind not to flip/sell it. Once i changed it to the Zulu strap. It make me harder to dispose it cause it have the tool-watch look and "vintageness"  look on it. Sigh, do i sound like women who are flickle minded? Anyone of you sure exp female who are like that regardless they are your mom,friend,wife, good mates etc. Picture below btw.

Unfortunately, not all watch are lucky as my speedy. Few of the watch i got it i was really into when i first got hold of it. Just like hanz wrote on his last part of sentence. Many reasons to it  such as it does not wear well on my small wrist = do not have much wrist time as other watch = hence lost my love for it = I am better off sell it some ppl who do appreciate that watch.

Another reason is that I had few more watches than what i need and i would like to focus on certain genre or theme to it (in other word my grail), that why i dispose some of it that does not fit to my theme and i will take the $ to get hold my grail.

Sigh, that how life goes on for me as a watch collector. Taste do change according to time. Which is in a way similar to taste to the type of girl you are after (referring to those single/bachelors). What a pity the kind of girl i was after did not show up in real life  :HammerHead:

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 06:50:04 AM »
@hanz079: Photo and exact model of the watch will be better suit the discussion, I think. I'll post mine later in the week.

Regards
Tyler

Rinse and repeat...

Comments? Thoughts?

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 06:59:09 AM »
Good post....This question is already playing in my mind....Reaching my no 5. soon and been wondering who should i sell off ?

I totally agree with the impulse factor.  Watches  acquired after months of learning and hunting are surely more difficult to part with...
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 08:50:25 AM »
what's the story hanz?

so which is it you are thinking to sell? the Zenith or Submariner? i'm sure a few of us here are eagerly waiting to bite!

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »
Once in a while you have the chance to purchase a special piece with loads of emotional values attached to it. That will be the keeper...for me, it'll be this one...

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:28:24 AM »
Despite months of research for a desired piece and an equivalent time in locating its availability, sometimes the faults or shortcomings in terms of movement, accuracy and finishing only surfaces after long term ownership..
That's when you decide to let it go...

Having said that sometimes you just come across something that's even better than what is in your collection and which is something that you now can afford.....so out goes the previous one and in comes the latest....
Anyway depending on individual's personality, for me I don't keep too many of the same complication......

That's why long term ownership reports are very useful....whether for watches, cars, or other high value items..
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:34:50 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »

Comments? Thoughts?

I am very sure you are not alone in this respect. Sometimes we dispose off our old colection, only to purchase the same watches again months or years later. That happened to me. I had a rather sizeable seiko divers (6105s, 6309s, 6306s, 7548, Tunas) and the 7A28s and 7A38s chronos. Got tired of them and sold most of them over the old SCWF. Then when I started looking at photos of these watches again, I started the collection all over again, piece by piece!! Then I got tired again and disposed of most of them 2010-2011. I promised myself I would not step into the seiko divers' territory again. Very addictive.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »
You let go of the tuna!? How could you? :o

I need to lie down. My head is turning... :Confused:

Regards
Tyler

I am very sure you are not alone in this respect. Sometimes we dispose off our old colection, only to purchase the same watches again months or years later. That happened to me. I had a rather sizeable seiko divers (6105s, 6309s, 6306s, 7548, Tunas) and the 7A28s and 7A38s chronos. Got tired of them and sold most of them over the old SCWF. Then when I started looking at photos of these watches again, I started the collection all over again, piece by piece!! Then I got tired again and disposed of most of them 2010-2011. I promised myself I would not step into the seiko divers' territory again. Very addictive.  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Offline SYSTEM

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 07:40:05 AM »
I guess some watches stayed longer in the collection is due to their uniqueness or special (to the owner) in terms of maybe exclusivity or the story behind when purchase the watch. Or maybe they often wear the watch, and for those that they seldom wear or never wear (for some reason), they will let it go.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 07:54:33 AM »
You let go of the tuna!? How could you? :o

I need to lie down. My head is turning... :Confused:

Regards
Tyler

I hope you have recovered and did not fal off the stairs or somnething.  ;D ;D

Yup, I did..the SBBN007 quartz, the 7549 quartz and the 6159 automatic (pristine condition, bought from this retired doctor in Ipoh).......No regret as long as you do not go back reading SCWF and all those postings about how cool their tunas are. I am glad I am off Seiko divers, though I still have a 7548 JDM which I bought years ago. This piece has a heavy patina on its hour markers, and the bezel has turned grey over the years.  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Cocas

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 06:09:02 PM »

Hi Bro. What you said is very true "But when i do actually wore em, i suddenly fell in love with the watch again "!

It happens to me again , again, again , and again......

Rinse and repeat...

Comments? Thoughts?

Haih, i hate love hate relationship with my omega speedy broad arrow reissue. When i did not wear it i tend to think about junking/sell it to the shop where i initially got it from.

But when i do actually wore em, i suddenly fell in love with the watch again and changed my mind not to flip/sell it. Once i changed it to the Zulu strap. It make me harder to dispose it cause it have the tool-watch look and "vintageness"  look on it. Sigh, do i sound like women who are flickle minded? Anyone of you sure exp female who are like that regardless they are your mom,friend,wife, good mates etc. Picture below btw.

Unfortunately, not all watch are lucky as my speedy. Few of the watch i got it i was really into when i first got hold of it. Just like hanz wrote on his last part of sentence. Many reasons to it  such as it does not wear well on my small wrist = do not have much wrist time as other watch = hence lost my love for it = I am better off sell it some ppl who do appreciate that watch.

Another reason is that I had few more watches than what i need and i would like to focus on certain genre or theme to it (in other word my grail), that why i dispose some of it that does not fit to my theme and i will take the $ to get hold my grail.

Sigh, that how life goes on for me as a watch collector. Taste do change according to time. Which is in a way similar to taste to the type of girl you are after (referring to those single/bachelors). What a pity the kind of girl i was after did not show up in real life  :HammerHead: