Author Topic: Zenith El Primero A386  (Read 13211 times)

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
Zenith El Primero A386
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:59:47 PM »
Finally got my grail after a long hunt with not much prospect given the relative scarcity of the vintage A386 (ard 2500 produced between 1969-71).  :Praying: So I was filled with much surprise and exhilaration when one came within sight from my recent watchmaker in Italy... I was so thrilled! I fell in love with it at first sight.  :Jumping:

Without further ado, here are some pics (borrowed the movement pic from seller as I don't know how to open the case back)

The dial is original and there's subtle difference from the 2009 New Vintage 1969 dials which are also used as a service dial. The E in El Primero is different.

"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
Re: Zenith El Primero A386
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 10:00:37 PM »
It is powered by El Primero 3019 PHC with high beats of 36000 bph. EP means "The First" in Spanish, as part of Zenith's claim to have produced the world's first self-winding chronograph (in the race against Seiko and the group comprising of Heuer, Breitling, Buren and Dubois-Depraz).

"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 10:01:10 PM »
The crown is not the original four pointed star but is the later service crown which is quite common.

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
The mandatory wrist shots:

Am a happy and contented man...  :Cheers:

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:46:49 AM »
Bro, that's an ugly watch. The case is scratch up, the dial has decay, lume don't work, some more movement is old.

Sell it to me, I'll gladly take the burden away.  ;D

Wanna trade with a Tag Heuer? ;)

Congratulations on a piece of history  :thumbsup:

Regard
Tyler

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
Finally it's up here.  :thumbsup:

Simply STUNNING! The more you look at it, the more amazing it is. Actually Zenith made 3 models of EP during that period, a384, a385 & a386, and you got the right one. Plus, the 38mm fit you wrist so nicely. congratulation for your achievement, wear it proud, wear it in good health.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 12:26:22 PM »
Congratz again!!
This watch deserves it's own thread.
Wear it in the best of health  :Cheers:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »
Bro, that's an ugly watch. The case is scratch up, the dial has decay, lume don't work, some more movement is old.

Sell it to me, I'll gladly take the burden away.  ;D

Wanna trade with a Tag Heuer? ;)

Congratulations on a piece of history  :thumbsup:

Regard
Tyler

Hahaha. Old and "ugly" but I sayang...

Maybe if with a Heuer Monaco 1133b.....

Thanks!

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
Finally it's up here.  :thumbsup:

Simply STUNNING! The more you look at it, the more amazing it is. Actually Zenith made 3 models of EP during that period, a384, a385 & a386, and you got the right one. Plus, the 38mm fit you wrist so nicely. congratulation for your achievement, wear it proud, wear it in good health.

Yah the trilogy... I was offered the A385 but think I will pass. I like the A384 though but need to take a break first as targeted other pieces. Perhaps one day...

It feels good on the wrist! Will take my time to find a matching leather strap... and the elusive pin buckle...

Thanks!

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 09:13:45 PM »
Congratz again!!
This watch deserves it's own thread.
Wear it in the best of health  :Cheers:

Thanks! Will always treasure it. Must learn more from the Zenith sifu also.

Cheers!

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »

Yah the trilogy... I was offered the A385 but think I will pass. I like the A384 though but need to take a break first as targeted other pieces. Perhaps one day...

It feels good on the wrist! Will take my time to find a matching leather strap... and the elusive pin buckle...

Thanks!

Yes, I support you. Go for the Heuer Monaco.  ;)

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »

Thanks!

Yes, I support you. Go for the Heuer Monaco.  ;)

Hehe. That vintage's too expensive for me. Going for something slightly lower in price. After that, really plan to take a long break. The external environment is a bit dicey.

Offline bentarazero

• Freshie
  • Remember, Remember. The fifth of November.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »
My God that's a beaut. Congrats! But I'd go with a darker colored strap.

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 08:06:46 PM »

Thanks. Still looking for a nice matching black strap with Zenith buckle. But was told it's an uncommon 17mm buckle... so will take some time to search for it.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 09:19:23 AM »

Thanks. Still looking for a nice matching black strap with Zenith buckle. But was told it's an uncommon 17mm buckle... so will take some time to search for it.
I think it's a 16mm buckle.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 08:53:49 PM »

I think it's a 16mm buckle.

Oops, I must have remembered wrongly from the guidance given to me by a sifu watchmaker - i forgot to take down notes when he told me.  :HammerHead:
Ok... hunt on for 16mm! He did say best bet is eBay although it will be tough...  :Praying: