Author Topic: Sony nex-5n 1st attempt and troubleshooting... so to speak  (Read 5636 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Sony nex-5n 1st attempt and troubleshooting... so to speak
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:17:42 PM »
I just took a couple of photographs using my nex-5n coupled with the 30 macro lens.
The 1st problem that I encountered is the camera does not seem to focus on what I want... sometimes, when the autofocus is adjusting, it will focus to the reflection on the sapphire crystal... which is my wall paper... wierd...
Anyway, even if it focuses of the details, it only seems to focus at one tiny area...

Some samples.
Do keep in mind that I am a noob in photography... and I do mean "noob"... still playing around with the settings to see if it can get any better. Be gentle yeah guys...

For this picture, I actually wanted to focus on the Submariner words but the camera seems to focus on the hands... tried different angles but still same. Is there a way to change the focus area instead on just letting the camera decide?

For this one, it seems like only the middle part of the picture is sharp... all other area seems blurry. Is this because the camera detects this picture not as one watch but rather different parts and depths so it only focuses on a certain area?

This picture shows that the camera actually focuses on the cyclops and the reflection of my wallpaper. Why ar?

Tried to focus the entire Open mechanism on the chronomaster but as you can see... a part of it is in focus... blurry on the others.

This picture show the Zenith word being in focus and not the star.
If I get the star in focus, the Zenith word will be out of focus.
Can't I get both in focus?

Well... still learning the ropes...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline chin

Re: Sony nex-5n 1st attempt and troubleshooting... so to speak
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:11:26 PM »
Same problem the 1st few times until google taught me that you can overide the auto focus by manually adjusting (use the outer ring).

I'm using the 18-55 dunno if the same applies to the macro lens.

BTW where did you findthe macro lens? I asked around but mostly only stock the and 18-200 zoom lens

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:31:10 PM »
Same problem the 1st few times until google taught me that you can overide the auto focus by manually adjusting (use the outer ring).

I'm using the 18-55 dunno if the same applies to the macro lens.

BTW where did you findthe macro lens? I asked around but mostly only stock the and 18-200 zoom lens
Yeah, I just googled and found out about the manual override as well... will try it later.
I got the Macro lens at Sony Centre Centre Point Kota Kinabalu.
It's the only one they have though...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline 5iu

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:29:57 PM »
To focus on the spot you desire, you may want to try set the AF of the camera to spot focus. By selecting this, the camera will chose it's focus point within a small spot in the center of the area you're aiming. If the subject you want to capture isn't in the center of your composition, aim the camera at the subject, half press to lock in the focus and then move your camera to recompose your image then fire away. If AF doesn't work, switch to manual focus.   ;D

To get a larger area in focus, you may want to check the aperture setting. A small F stop ie F2.8 will result in a shallow depth of view hence only a small area of the picture is in focus. Try F8 to start with. You can adjust the F stop in manual mode or aperture mode but watch out for the shutter speed, increase the iso if you have to. Adjusting the angle of your shot will help too. Hope that helps. Happy shooting! Btw, lovely zenith you've got there  ;)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »
You need to play around with the aperture setting as it has an impact on the depth of field. That is the reason why the background and foreground is blur but the area focused is sharp. Change the aperture setting to F5.6 or F8 or F11 and see what results you get. Also try playing with the minimum and maximum setting and see what you get.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »
To focus on the spot you desire, you may want to try set the AF of the camera to spot focus. By selecting this, the camera will chose it's focus point within a small spot in the center of the area you're aiming. If the subject you want to capture isn't in the center of your composition, aim the camera at the subject, half press to lock in the focus and then move your camera to recompose your image then fire away. If AF doesn't work, switch to manual focus.   ;D

To get a larger area in focus, you may want to check the aperture setting. A small F stop ie F2.8 will result in a shallow depth of view hence only a small area of the picture is in focus. Try F8 to start with. You can adjust the F stop in manual mode or aperture mode but watch out for the shutter speed, increase the iso if you have to. Adjusting the angle of your shot will help too. Hope that helps. Happy shooting! Btw, lovely zenith you've got there  ;)

You need to play around with the aperture setting as it has an impact on the depth of field. That is the reason why the background and foreground is blur but the area focused is sharp. Change the aperture setting to F5.6 or F8 or F11 and see what results you get. Also try playing with the minimum and maximum setting and see what you get.

Thanks Bros!! Will go at it again. :Cheers: