Author Topic: Oris or Ball ??  (Read 55874 times)

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
Re: Oris or Ball ??
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »
I will pick Oris. thats a truly swiss owned swiss watch. Also, ball's maintenance will be problematic. the lume will die out after few years. i think replacing them may cost a bomb. Current HK owner of Ball is doing very good marketing in asia. Btw an american brand currently owned by HK and an authentic swiss brand, my choice is quite straight forward. Especially so if this is my first swiss. If you fancy that kind of lume, buy Luminox which cost not even 20% of a normal ball. But i have to declare that i am minority here.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »
Go for ball , no regret . Hardy n value for $$$

I use it casual n work , easy to match what u wear

Offline STT1987

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 01:28:03 AM »
I will pick Oris. thats a truly swiss owned swiss watch. Also, ball's maintenance will be problematic. the lume will die out after few years. i think replacing them may cost a bomb. Current HK owner of Ball is doing very good marketing in asia. Btw an american brand currently owned by HK and an authentic swiss brand, my choice is quite straight forward. Especially so if this is my first swiss. If you fancy that kind of lume, buy Luminox which cost not even 20% of a normal ball. But i have to declare that i am minority here.
From what I gather, Ball likes to claim to be several things. A defunct American brand with some history, now a Swiss manufactured brand with nominal American management owned by a HK company. Interesting. The glow on the H3 tubes Ball uses is supposed to last 25 years if you can believe the press releases. On the other hand, the regular lume on Swiss watches are also time limited. I have a 1990 TAG Heuer quartz and a 1999 Breitling SuperOcean; both lumes are nearly gone - hardly see it in the dark even after fully exposed in the sun for a while.

You are right though, if all you really want is the H3 glow, Luminox quartz is the way to go.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:32:47 AM by STT1987 »
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline felixlew

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 06:15:08 AM »
i will go for "Ball"
hahaha poison time

Offline Yinghao

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »

Nice Ball!  ;D may i know what is the model?

haha so many ball's poison around here.

Offline grifterfmj

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »

Ball!

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »

This is an engineer master diver 2 :)

Nice Ball!  ;D may i know what is the model?

haha so many ball's poison around here.

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
From what I gather, Ball likes to claim to be several things. A defunct American brand with some history, now a Swiss manufactured brand with nominal American management owned by a HK company. Interesting. The glow on the H3 tubes Ball uses is supposed to last 25 years if you can believe the press releases. On the other hand, the regular lume on Swiss watches are also time limited. I have a 1990 TAG Heuer quartz and a 1999 Breitling SuperOcean; both lumes are nearly gone - hardly see it in the dark even after fully exposed in the sun for a while.

You are right though, if all you really want is the H3 glow, Luminox quartz is the way to go.

I never have any ball. But heard someone mentioned that the lume will slowly faded away after few years. 25 years is just marketing gimmick. It will be good to have some clarification or confirmation from ball owner. But i have to say their design looks good, for what its worth.  ;D
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »

I never have any ball. But heard someone mentioned that the lume will slowly faded away after few years. 25 years is just marketing gimmick. It will be good to have some clarification or confirmation from ball owner. But i have to say their design looks good, for what its worth.  ;D

Tritium is radioactive, its half life is 12.5yrs
It means its light will go dim after 12.5 yrs of it was made... Then till yr 25, it will be complete dark

No gimmick...
U shd try it!!!

Offline STT1987

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 12:39:49 AM »
Radioactive half-life is an exponential decay. If we assume Tritium half-life to be 12.5 years, after 25 years there should be 25% of the original amount of H3 still left in the tubes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life

I think the limitation of the H3 glass vials used in the Ball watches are the phosphorescent coating (the actual glowing component in the tubes). These thing just lose their lume over time. I have 20 year old watches that have virtually no lume at all.

How old are the oldest Ball watches with H3 tubes? Not much more than 10 years is my guess. Any owners of the early H3 glow tube watches care to comment on their glow now compared to when new?
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 08:56:03 AM »
Vote for ball, skindiver is a good choice.
Fireman DLC glow will be the ultimate choice if your budget can increase another 1-2k

Offline amir1218

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »
Ball vs Oris. They're quite different in terms of design.
For me I would go for the Oris skeleton.
But then again its up to you.
Maybe you should find a store that has both brands and compare them side by side as the Ball qnd Oris design are very different.

Offline khorkahyong

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 07:07:15 PM »
im currently looking at oris skeleton also. its a nice elegant piece of watch and its more to a dress watch. with the design, i believe it will attract people's atttention to ask some questions. im worry it will attract too much attention. u know the feeling when your friend has a really nice watch and you keep looking his watch rather then listening to him talking.
anyway, if u dont mind, can u PM me whats the best price u get in KL? It's about £1400 here in UK.

Offline mr.jim

• Freshie
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 09:47:08 AM »
i like ORIS better. but both are really nice actually.

Offline Yoda

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »
Another vote from me for BALL
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline boeid

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »
+1 for Ball Engineer II series.... Solid, versatile and great value.  However I was told that the red label series was hard to find when I was hunting around for the GMT piece recently.

Ball for me if vs Oris for entry level as it is more iconic w it's lume  :thumbsup:

dav,

care to advise where I can find the red label (43mm) coz am looking for one too (initially was thinking of ionosphere but a bit too bulky to my liking).

I own both Racer DLC and Artix Date and somewhat like the Ball a bit more (though not so fond of its rubber strap). In term of lumes, the Artix's is quite comparable to those in the Racer.

Offline nusraza

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2013, 12:49:55 AM »
Why dont u go for tag aquaracer calliber 5... better 2nd hand value i think...

Offline Yoda

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2013, 07:49:21 AM »
 Brother Yinghao

Decide a  cut off date and count how many vote for Ball and how many for Oris then pull the trigger do not prolong your suffering

How about that?

Cheers
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline kicksology

• Freshie
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2013, 12:02:14 AM »
ball!

Offline roystock

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »
My vote goes to Ball.
My first automatic watch is a Ball Fireman DLC.
It was a lovely watch (especially when viewed at night).

Offline ivanpei

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 09:29:45 AM »
Artelier skeleton! Best Value Swiss skeleton you can get for your money.

Big blingy divers you can always get in the future like the Seamaster/PO or the Sub.

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 10:23:07 PM »
I think Oris Artelier Skeleton would be the best choice among your list, if you're wearing it for fashion statement. Oris' is a few level above Ball. And also as ivanpei mentioned, it's the best value you can get out of your money for a Swiss skeleton watch.

Offline nasa

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »
You can get this for less than Rm6k..Pre-love off course!!

However..To find a seller might be a problem though..Happy hunting... :Dancing_banana:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:32:02 PM by nasa »

Offline nasa

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2013, 01:58:59 AM »
Sinbad2k..When u said Oris is many level above Ball can u please explain further? Do u mean that Oris is on par with the likes of Omega,IWC,Zenith,Panerai etc?  :Confused:

Offline ckk125

• Freshie
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2013, 09:38:53 AM »

oris for me any day...but ball and oris are 2 very different watch design. to each his own