Author Topic: Ignorance  (Read 33889 times)

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
Re: Ignorance
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2011, 01:25:17 PM »
A private seller posted "superlative chronometer officially certified" = SCOC....cool ya

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »
A private seller posted "superlative chronometer officially certified" = SCOC....cool ya
I have a feeling I know this one also. Even after it was pointed out by the others, he still insisted that it is Rolex SCOC since it is read as 'superlative chronometer officially certified' on the dial :HammerHead:.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline axaxax

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »
A high end watch shop keeper in Tropicana Mall doesn't know what is a deployment buckle. He was cocky enough to try and correct me.

Offline swleong

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2014, 07:49:17 PM »
A high end watch shop keeper in Tropicana Mall doesn't know what is a deployment buckle. He was cocky enough to try and correct me.

Because it is called 'deployant', not 'deployment'  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline axaxax

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2014, 05:28:32 AM »
swleong, i don't think the guy can spell check a conversation. my point is that the fellow dont even know what is a deployment/deployant buckle?!

anyway, thanks for policing my bad spelling.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2014, 07:56:14 AM »
when i was scouting around some shops to look for preowned rolex, there was a lansiii looking apek and his wife in shop. Can hear them talk very loud, boasting what they have and what they can buy. 

I looked at some models and was talking to owner if they have pieces with full accessories (box and papers).

The apek looked at me (despite me not having intention to initiate a conversation with him) and said `leng chai...why you bother with box and papers.  I've been playing rolex longer that you think.  Boxes are a nuisance.  We throw them around as they don't add any value to the watch'. 

to cut the story short, i also malas to argue....

`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2014, 07:59:23 AM »
just sharing... my uncle is a typical uncle... rolex and benz, that's it :P

my uncle: wow... your watch is darn shinny, what is it?
his friend: <takes it off> here, its a Hublot
[i've noticed it from far, was a Big Bang ceramic and red gold]
my uncle: <flips the watch around>...............
my uncle: what's that...
his friend: umm... this brand is very hot nowdays
my uncle: oh...
his friend: only , you want? i have jalan ;D
my uncle: <faster hands it back to him> more expensive than Rolex leh!?!?
his friend: <smiles and puts it back on>

his friend's facial expression was funny and awkward, don't know whether its boh song or want to laugh :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline mike

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »
Was wearing my LLD in my college, and then a classmate came and say that my watch is superb beautiful, and asked me for the price. I answered 5k. He was in shocked, and then replied me "U DUN BLUFF ME LEH 5K CAN BUY ROLEX ALREADY MAN"
Hahaha.

Online ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2014, 11:08:40 AM »
Was wearing my LLD in my college, and then a classmate came and say that my watch is superb beautiful, and asked me for the price. I answered 5k. He was in shocked, and then replied me "U DUN BLUFF ME LEH 5K CAN BUY ROLEX ALREADY MAN"
Hahaha.
You friend is right in a way, 5k can get you a vintage Rolex, i,e. 6694

Offline mike

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »
Hahaha.
You friend is right in a way, 5k can get you a vintage Rolex, i,e. 6694
I believe he is talking about brand new Rolex  :P

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »
Hahaha.
Hahaha.
Maybe that's how ur friend's dad under declares the value of his watch collection ;D

Offline Ian Fleming

• Freshie
  • "Don't Play The Fool" - The Late Sir Karpal Singh
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »
I would like to share my fair share of story too. Well I'm not a professional watch collector nor a dude born with a silver spoon. I'm just your average guy next door.

I noticed once we get better than others, them sour grapes come throwing jealous remarks or some even throwing defamatory remarks onto us.

My wife is a professional Senior Auditor in a medium firm. My interest and passion in watches has managed to spread the disease to her as well. Has a few humble collections to herself.

But because of her age as the youngest female in her auditing firm with a position higher than those whom are old enough to be her mother, people around her in her company starts gossiping and hurling jealous and sour remarks that her Rolex is definitely fake and all the gold on it is plated.

Even funnier, her half carat GIA certified diamond ring on her has been gossiped as a Swarovski element.

The only thing spared is...they haven't said that her BMW and Honda is fake yet.

She was just telling me about it over coffee last weekend. So i asked her..."So how'd you feel about it?"

Here's my wife's reply...
"Well, honestly, i feel nuthin. Because people who talk behind my back are behind me for a reason. They are jealous about me because they can only dream about the things that I have. While they have nuthin that I have to be jealous about. Furthermore, my watch is more expensive than some of their cars. So...chill la!!! I'm just sharing with you because I find these humans hilarious."

My reply to her is giving her a 2 thumbs up gesture. Because I never bothered about what people say about me. People can say whatever they want with their mouth, janji kita syiok sendiri."

Offline Timeless

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
Well, many ppls appreciate the brand but can't afford the real thing.

If I've came across this typical queation, I'd answer "If that really makes you happy that I'm wearing a fake pcs, be my guest..

Offline swleong

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2014, 01:56:33 PM »
Well, many ppls appreciate the brand but can't afford the real thing.

If I've came across this typical queation, I'd answer "If that really makes you happy that I'm wearing a fake pcs, be my guest..

My GM has a Davosa 'Submariner'. And every time i wear my Rolex Submariner, he will keep staring at my watch and make comparisons against his, and keep mentioning how cheap he got it from the States blah blah blah.

I just told him mine is fake, as my Submariner has no date  ;D

Offline mike

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2014, 01:57:55 PM »
I honestly do not find wearing fakes a major problem. Not everyone is capable of affording luxury items they like, they just want to let themselves syok a bit. Haha. Still I would say, if you can't afford it, don't even think about having it. If you want it, work hard to afford it.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »

when to a pasar malam with a friend looking for a cheap water resistant watch for a snorkeling trip (intended to used 1 time only) at KK, Sabah

my friend     : "ini jam boleh masuk air kah" (what my friend mean was water resistant)

watch seller : "pasti boleh, bah"

so, my friend bought that watch and when for snorkel with it. Less that 30 minutes, water has already filled the whole watch. in anger he took the watch back to the seller

my friend     :  >:( "kawan, itu hari awak cakap ini jam boleh masuk air"
watch seller :  ??? "betul bah, ini jam memang air boleh masuk" (what he mean was, water can get inside)

:Laughing_on_floor:

Epic funny....

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2014, 08:14:18 PM »
I feel ignorance is bliss.
The more you read and know about watches, the deeper you get suck into a vortex.
Now I'm so nutty about watches, planning not to upgrade car but to upgrade watches.
Wifey thinks I'm sick.

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2014, 08:41:48 PM »
This is an excellent thread!  Keep the stories coming.  The only story I have to contribute is that a junior sales guy told me that all watches with month and date display are considered as Annual Calendars!  I was too shock to react!  :o

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Great stories! Made me laughed like a fool in the office. Keep the stories coming!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Yoda

« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »

Jeffrey Hopkins states:

Ignorance that drives the entire process isn't just an inability to apprehend the truth but an active misapprehension of the status of oneself and all other objects—one's own mind or body, other people, and so forth.

It is the conception or assumption that phenomena exist in a far more concrete way than they actually do.Based on this misapprehension of the status of persons and things, we are drawn into afflictive desire and hatred [i.e. attachment and aversion].

Not knowing the real nature of phenomena, we are driven to generate desire for what we like and hatred for what we do not like and for what blocks our desires. These three—ignorance, desire, and hatred ; they pervert our mental outlook.
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline dankhar

« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2014, 07:16:39 AM »
I get comments like: "Hey, why do you like to wear a dead man's watch?"
And I go  :o .... just because I collect and wear vintage pieces?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:25:59 AM by dankhar »
Sometimes the best thing to do is ... absolutely nothing!

Offline hooidcaster

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2014, 07:33:04 AM »
I get comments like: "Hey, why do you like to wear a dead man's watch?"
And I go  :o .... just because I collect and wear vintage pieces?

i will be very very very angry, if that watch is actually a generation after generation's pass down to the family & I get such comment

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »
I went to a large Seiko AD in JB here, and i was looking at some monsters. All K versions, (can see from the tag and dial). The manager (saw from his tag) came up and said,

"Hi, you wanna buy Seiko ah? We got discount. Very reasonable, all made in Japan one you know, this price you cannot get other place."

I was like  :o

And he is the manager there....... ::)
Seiko fan.....

Offline GMTmaster

« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2014, 07:25:56 PM »
I went to a large Seiko AD in JB here, and i was looking at some monsters. All K versions, (can see from the tag and dial). The manager (saw from his tag) came up and said,

"Hi, you wanna buy Seiko ah? We got discount. Very reasonable, all made in Japan one you know, this price you cannot get other place."

??? ???   "K version" not made in Japan??

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2014, 08:54:50 PM »

??? ???   "K version" not made in Japan??

J means made in Japan, K means made in other country (maybe Malaysia :D)