Author Topic: Ignorance  (Read 33888 times)

Offline G.MAC

Ignorance
« on: September 28, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »
Lets share the type of ignorant comment we heard or received when we talk about watches and some funny stories.
1. I met a guy looking to buy a watch at my usual dealer. He wanted to look like he knew a great deal about watches and that he has done his homework. He kept asking whether each watch he looked at has cocks. In the end, out of curiousity i ask him why he asked that. He said he read that watches with cocks are more accurate. I asked him to spell cocks. He spelled "C-O-S-C". :Laughing_on_floor:

Do share anymore of your funny experiences or ignorant comments you have heard.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Watchnewby

Re: Ignorance
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 07:40:03 AM »
Heard the following conversation when I was at Puchong last night:

Buyer at a roadside stall selling "cheap" replica watch, " Ini ori kah?"
Seller,"Macam ori. Tapi harga memang Best"
Buyer,"Itu Frank Muller, Chopard dan G-shiok, semua brapa harga? Ada gerenti kah?"
Seller, "Frank Muller - ori RM18K, ini serupa saje baru RM300. Chopard ini pula lain sikit, yang ori boleh nampak terus (see through), ini tak nampak terus. Itu G-shock RM70, ori RM350."
Buyer, "Itu macam kah? Bagi saya itu Frank Muller dan ini G-Sok. Semua skali RM320 boleh kah?"
Seller, "RM350 final"

Well, not sure if the buyer is ignorant or not but to buy a fake watch at the road side, IMO, is for the :
1) budget conscious
2) one who likes to show off that he/she has an expensive piece
3) one who loves everything "pirated" from watch, DVD, clothings, begs etc.

Offline kltime

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 07:43:57 AM »
Person in front of me was looking a pre-owned Omega. He asked the seller what year was the watch produced. When told it was probably mid-80s and is an automatic, he asked " Automatics already got in the 80s,ah?"  :Confused:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:45:42 AM »
Cocks!?! Wow... that must be intense in the shop...  :laugh:

I did have someone told me that PAMs are overpriced with ancient technology... I asked why he said that?
He said after paying so much... he still need to wind the watch manually...  :HammerHead:
He said that for that kind of price, he can get any decent swiss automatic watch... I asked him why he bought it then?
He said AD recommend that this is "the" watch to get... :Startled:

And then he have the guts to tell me that my Tissot T-Race is rubbish coz it's a quartz chronograph... no value at all he says...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline kltime

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:47:37 AM »
Oh, forgot this classic line from a fake Rolex dealer - " This is original Rolex with Japan Seiko movement.."   :Startled:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:20:11 AM »
Been told by a chap who are selling his AP 15300st that , rolex come out a new 44mm submariner this year... I was like  :Startled: and some more this guy wearing a exp ii... ??????
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:28:44 PM by dennistwc »

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:36:55 AM »
2. Another buyer in another shop i overheard was talking to the SA. He said to the SA, " You say this is sapphire crystal. Why not blue le? You sure or not. Dont bluff me" And then he proceed to ask the SA, " why your tissot so expensive? RM1750!! I can get 1 from chinatown at RM150." The SA after awhile just told him to go there and buy the watch from chinatown.

Offline nayo

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
I bought a replica a long time ago from pasar malam and was guaranteed to be water proofed.
Sure enough it turned out to be as advertised when I took it for a dunking in one of my watery outings.
Water proof = air masuk tak boleh keluar.  :thumbsup:

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 02:43:39 PM »
I bought a replica a long time ago from pasar malam and was guaranteed to be water proofed.
Sure enough it turned out to be as advertised when I took it for a dunking in one of my watery outings.
Water proof = air masuk tak boleh keluar.  :thumbsup:

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Oh, forgot this classic line from a fake Rolex dealer - " This is original Rolex with Japan Seiko movement.."   :Startled:

Encounter this before too at Petaling Street, somemore the guy clarified, original Rolex with Japan ..... not those Cina stuff, guarantee even the Sifu cant differentiate  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »
Cocks!?! Wow... that must be intense in the shop...  :laugh:

I did have someone told me that PAMs are overpriced with ancient technology... I asked why he said that?
He said after paying so much... he still need to wind the watch manually...  :HammerHead:
He said that for that kind of price, he can get any decent swiss automatic watch... I asked him why he bought it then?
He said AD recommend that this is "the" watch to get... :Startled:

And then he have the guts to tell me that my Tissot T-Race is rubbish coz it's a quartz chronograph... no value at all he says...

Very hilarious, hanz.   :Laughing_on_floor:   :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
There is this dude who is a self proclaimed Rolex King in the China town. He is the main supplier of all Rolexes distributed there. he is fun if you know him well.

He dared to scratch his watches sapphire glass against the lamp post to drive home his wares. Can your everyday AD dare do it?

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 09:56:33 AM »
There is this dude who is a self proclaimed Rolex King in the China town. He is the main supplier of all Rolexes distributed there. he is fun if you know him well.

He dared to scratch his watches sapphire glass against the lamp post to drive home his wares. Can your everyday AD dare do it?

dc

No wonder he is known as China town Roleks King.  ;D

Offline siodee

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 03:05:13 PM »

dc

The one hang around at "Kam Lian Kee" hokkien mee???
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 07:22:17 AM »
Time to revive this thread from an ignorant comment I got this morning.
During breakfast, met one of my old schoolmate that I haven't met for ages. (can say he is a loaded fellow)
Said hi and he joined my table... no problem.
We chatted abit and I commented on his Omega Planet Ocean Orange Bezel 42mm...
Nice, can I try it on? Sure he said.
Then when I took off mine and he molested my watch, he was asking me why wear on fabric strap?
Nicer I said... abit variety is good.
Then he said "Ohhh... this watch must be fake, coz the easiest way to tell a fake is from the bracelet quality, that's why you wear it on a fabric strap... harder to see if it's fake..."
I just say "Yaloh... like that oso you know... haih... can't fool your expert eyes" ::)
Although he paid for my breakfast... I feel like vomiting it back out...
One of the worst free breakfast I've had.

And by the way, I was wearing this.

Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 07:33:06 AM »
I know what you mean bro. I've had people asking me why my watch has a 'kain strap' when i wear it on a rollie. Those who dont know well enough to call it a nato strap need not be educated further. Just have the satisfaction of knowing that your rollie is more expensive than his omega.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 07:45:10 AM »
OK. This one happen on me :D

When i first got my mechanical watch (Oris, those vintage type) from theBay when I was in UK.. the very first moment i unwrapped the package is to  shake the watch to make it "move" and i thought all mechanical watch are "Automatic" like my SEIKO (before this i only have one SEIKO automatic which is my birthday gift long long time ago)...

So, i shake, the second hand move then i thought it's working but it stop after  20 seconds or so... then i shake again, same thing happen, was pissed off and email the seller telling him the watch is faulty.... then he wrote back and said "It's a MANUAL winding watch and you need to WIND the watch MANUALLY to make it move..."..... then i start to realized what's "Manual" winding meant (He did advertise on his sales but i ignore that because i thought all mechanical watches are....automatic  :HammerHead:) ... I feel so stupid and email him to say sorry :D

I think he maybe one of those now commenting on the similar topic somewhere else with the comment like "there was one time I got a buyer emailed me asking why my manual winding can't working like an automatic watches.... LOL"

hahahahhahah~~

Offline bryankwc

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 07:51:19 AM »
Then he said "Ohhh... this watch must be fake, coz the easiest way to tell a fake is from the bracelet quality, that's why you wear it on a fabric strap... harder to see if it's fake..."
I just say "Yaloh... like that oso you know... haih... can't fool your expert eyes" ::)
Although he paid for my breakfast... I feel like vomiting it back out...
One of the worst free breakfast I've had.

Bro Hanz,
If he knew yours was the real deal, you would be paying for the breakfast!  :Laughing_on_floor:
"My dream;
      Rolex by day &
               Patek by night." ;)

Offline siodee

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 07:51:29 AM »
when you told this story, it reminded me of visiting one of the AD recently, I asked to see the Ball watch, and I was wearing my Damasko with Nato, the guy responded that they also have watches like that, and point me to Casio, Seiko counter, and I just said thank you and walked out.  :Scolding:

Do I need to wear my Ball to check out Ball????  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline silverstan

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 07:57:07 AM »
OK. This one happen on me :D

When i first got my mechanical watch (Oris, those vintage type) from theBay when I was in UK.. the very first moment i unwrapped the package is to  shake the watch to make it "move" and i thought all mechanical watch are "Automatic" like my SEIKO (before this i only have one SEIKO automatic which is my birthday gift long long time ago)...

So, i shake, the second hand move then i thought it's working but it stop after  20 seconds or so... then i shake again, same thing happen, was pissed off and email the seller telling him the watch is faulty.... then he wrote back and said "It's a MANUAL winding watch and you need to WIND the watch MANUALLY to make it move..."..... then i start to realized what's "Manual" winding meant (He did advertise on his sales but i ignore that because i thought all mechanical watches are....automatic  :HammerHead:) ... I feel so stupid and email him to say sorry :D

I think he maybe one of those now commenting on the similar topic somewhere else with the comment like "there was one time I got a buyer emailed me asking why my manual winding can't working like an automatic watches.... LOL"

hahahahhahah~~

LOL Scott, this is funny!!  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 08:02:12 AM »
Was wearing my sub (14060) also.
Commented by 1 fella,
"Wah, so low quality fake, don't even have the bubble thing on the glass"
 :Blue: :Blue: :Blue:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 08:08:32 AM »
Was wearing my sub (14060) also.
Commented by 1 fella,
"Wah, so low quality fake, don't even have the bubble thing on the glass"
U oso kena ar? Lol
Somehow, wearing a Rolex gets the most comment of it being fake.
Especially if u don't look the part. Say if u drive a so-so car and wear normal clothes like padini, here comes the comments.
But like u said, syok sendiri can liao lah...

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »
if anyone dare to say my rolex is fake, i'd invite them to a crab cracking contest with my DSSD. See whose steel ding first.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 08:21:11 AM »
if anyone dare to say my rolex is fake, i'd invite them to a crab cracking contest with my DSSD. See whose steel ding first.
Lol... crab cracking contest?
I will wear a Damasko and comment that your Rolex is fake just for kicks...  :Laughing_on_floor:
Anyway, I used to not like Rolex for this reason alone... being called a fake most of the time.
Then I met Ck...  ;D
Bottom line is, say whatever you want, I'm the one with the Rolex and not you...  :mooning:

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 08:29:12 AM »
Another one.
Was wearing my favourite moonwatch this time.
One fella took a glance and says,
"Eh, your watch no battery ah? The second needle is not moving"

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 09:46:11 AM »
I was wearing my base PAM manual winding and told my fren how much that cost. Well, he was thinking it's an expensive watch but when I told him I have to wind it manually daily, he was like  :o :o :o and laugh straight in my face! :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

He asked me, "Nowadays still have watches that needs to manually wind kah?"

What shall I say? Just kept quiet and don't even bother explaining.