Author Topic: Project watch  (Read 38545 times)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: Project watch
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »
Hobbit ..

Just curious if this is possible .... to engraved the owners number against issued .

Will this inflate cost?

acurusaragon,

I am guessing you want to choose the serial number of the watch? At the moment, the plan is to have all the watches engraved with 1 of XXX. This will remove unwanted numbers or unlucky number or what ever you call them. This will make moving the watches easier. Even the big boys (IWC, Bvlgari) are doing this. I hope this answer your question.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2011, 07:30:40 AM »
:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: When the technical too detail, everyone is like :Startled: then again  :Startled: No more response

For me, as long as the bezel is "tak tak" sound, and 1/2 minute turn, waula.. :thumbsup:

Siodee,

The bezel will be 60 clicks, so no 1/2 minute turn. Sorry.

The reason for the post is not being technical but more of showing what goes into the design and building a watch. For example many people will ask why one bezel cost less than another. Upon closer inspection, you find that the cheaper bezel has the bezel insert mounted with double side tape while the more expensive one is fitted and held by mere tolerances (not always the case sadly). It is to show how one manufacturer can quote USD 69 to manufacture a watch while another is USD 200 (for example).

Pardon for my ignorance  ;D

Hobbit ..

Just curious if this is possible .... to engraved the owners number against issued .

Will this inflate cost?

acurusaragon,

I am guessing you want to choose the serial number of the watch? At the moment, the plan is to have all the watches engraved with 1 of XXX. This will remove unwanted numbers or unlucky number or what ever you call them. This will make moving the watches easier. Even the big boys (IWC, Bvlgari) are doing this. I hope this answer your question.

That is why need to book earlier, can get the nice number  :Cheers:

Hobbit, how is the sourcing progress now?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2011, 07:43:45 AM »

siodee,

Basically at the moment, everyones watch will be 1 of xxx. There will not be any 2 of xxx or 3 of xxx.

As for the sourcing, I already have a manufacturer who will do the watch at 100 pieces. The expected cost (yet to finalise) is about USD 200 based on the specs given to them. I expect the cost to go down slightly as based on experience, manufacturers tend to over quote to manage expectations. They also don't want the cost to balloon and have the client run away. Final costing will be based on the exact specs we want the watch to have.

I also have another manufacturer who will the project but the cost is much higher. This is because they are bespoke makers. However they can work on a lower volume.

Offline siodee

« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2011, 07:54:31 AM »
Hobbit,  :thumbsup: at least we can see some daylight in the tunnel. Now we just need to get 100 buyers, and we are almost done.  :Cheers:

BTW, the other manufacturer can do for lower number, what is their price different compare to the 100 order manufacturer???
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2011, 08:29:59 AM »
Hobbit,  :thumbsup: at least we can see some daylight in the tunnel. Now we just need to get 100 buyers, and we are almost done.  :Cheers:

BTW, the other manufacturer can do for lower number, what is their price different compare to the 100 order manufacturer???

A lot, about 3 times more. But the quality is up there with the big boys as I have 'played' with their watches before. These watches are hand made using lathe machines and are hand finished.

Offline limsy

• Freshie
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »
Definately an interesting project and as a freshie here...i would like very much to be part of it. Can I? Can I?
This MWF special project reminds me of the recent WUSSE Steinhart Proteus.
This is way cool and I like!! MWF very own inaugural project.

Next is to find a name and a logo design for this new baby and have in engraved on the case back!  :Dancing_banana:

Btw, is the cost still below RM2k??

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2011, 09:14:29 AM »

siodee,

Basically at the moment, everyones watch will be 1 of xxx. There will not be any 2 of xxx or 3 of xxx.

As for the sourcing, I already have a manufacturer who will do the watch at 100 pieces. The expected cost (yet to finalise) is about USD 200 based on the specs given to them. I expect the cost to go down slightly as based on experience, manufacturers tend to over quote to manage expectations. They also don't want the cost to balloon and have the client run away. Final costing will be based on the exact specs we want the watch to have.

I also have another manufacturer who will the project but the cost is much higher. This is because they are bespoke makers. However they can work on a lower volume.

Again mate i'm in  :thumbsup:

I have extreme faith in your decision making from the books you read and your blog write up ;D
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline siodee

« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2011, 10:38:19 AM »

A lot, about 3 times more. But the quality is up there with the big boys as I have 'played' with their watches before. These watches are hand made using lathe machines and are hand finished.

Assuming 20 pieces or 50 pieces, will the price still 3 times higher than 100 pieces? Or relatively reduce from 3x if number increase?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2011, 11:07:29 AM »
I think with the amount of active members in this forum 50 piece is a more realistic number.
Although i do hope that those members who dont post can still PM Hobbit and have their name included in the list.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2011, 11:43:15 AM »

Assuming 20 pieces or 50 pieces, will the price still 3 times higher than 100 pieces? Or relatively reduce from 3x if number increase?

The price quoted is for a run of about 50 pieces. It has to be said that these prices are still exploratory. Final pricing will come with what we decide to do with the watch. Their cut-off is 50 pieces and the next run at 100 pieces. It is difficult for them to quote pricing for 50 pieces, 60 pieces etc.

Also I would like to say that the watch is still a project watch and not an MWF project watch. It is better to make this clear at this stage before we proceed. As such, we will still need to get a name and logo, if desired for the watch.

Offline mozo72

« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »
dear sifus and otai!!

sorry for my interruption in this discussion, but i'm also very interested in this project watch (if the price is within m budget :HammerHead:). i think this watch can be very successful, our own forum limited edition watch!!!!. but from what i've been reading from the previous post, i think this project is lack of authority, i think we should elect a committee (several active member) coz i think its not fair to let Mr Hobbit to handle this on his own, to foreseen this project direction and how it should be marketed (MWF or Not) and came out with a final design and spec for the presentation to the forum member to finalized the project. but that is just me opinion. please don't hate me for this.. :Blue:   
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:07:40 PM by mozo72 »

Offline siodee

« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2011, 01:01:07 PM »
dear sifus and otai!!

sorry for my interruption in this discussion, but i'm also very interested in this project watch (if the price is within m budget :HammerHead:). i think this watch can be very successful, our own forum limited edition watch!!!!. but from what i've been reading from the previous post, i think this project is lack of authority, i think we should elect a committee (several active member) coz i think its not fair to let Mr Hobbit to handle this on his own, to foreseen this project direction and how it should be marketed (MWF or Not) and came out with a final design and spec for the presentation to the forum member to finalized the project. but that is just me opinion. please don't hate me for this.. :Blue:   

Hobbit is in Taiwan, and I believe he enjoys every bits of the project without any committee members, what you can help, is to get more people to join the list, that is much we can help for this project  ;D

Offline ivanswk

• Res ipsa loquitur :P
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2011, 01:12:37 PM »
i din digest much of the earlier post, not sure this mention before, but it will be great if the bezel is upgradable. Been eyeing Kazimon watch for a while, notice their bezel is easy to change as per this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc8qZ7V9mmk

for name heheh ... since the idea from the Hobbit (maybe some along the lord of the ring theme)
suddely infinite idea come, The Gollum Bezel (green)  :Jumping: wow The wizard bezel (blue)  :Blue:

hehe my cent...  :HammerHead:

Offline siodee

« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »
I think most people here  :Confused: It is better to provide a name or code name for this project, and the theme for the watch.

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2011, 03:18:50 PM »
MWF Project watch?!? or still awaiting approval? It's just a project name, then we can name the watch from feedback and voting, right?

My suggestion would be , make the design for the hand, the submariner hand style. the other most important point is , 100 mtr/200 mtr /300 mtr water resist?

And , for the achieving of 200 pcs, how about getting on the groupon or any other deal a day website, to grab more ppl's attention?

And then, setup a blog to update on the project??and name the project. So that we got a name for the watch?

fistball,

Thank you for your input but at the moment, the sub type hands is not really in the picture at all. I have nothing against the hands, but I don't really want a Zerograph homage. The watch will be rated at 100 M at the moment. I will work with the manufacturer on the cost of getting the watch down to 300 M. If the cost is marginal, we will go for it. If not, I will put it to a vote.

As for the name, if I can get the approval from Danny and the mods, it will be called the MWF project watch.

As for going on big for the project, if we get people outside the group, the watch may not be of much value to the group. Additionally payment and collection and delivery could be an issue.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2011, 04:54:42 PM »
The premise of the watch was this, on page 1 of this thread.

"The basic idea for this project is that I myself want one of this watches but I cannot get them anymore. The people who made this watch is not interested to revisit this design and as such I was thinking about the possibility of making one. However, no one would just make one piece as the design is rather unique and it would not be cost effective.

There are many ways we can approach this project. But the main idea is to make one as cheap as possible but not at the cost of quality. I would like to be upfront with this project to say that I will not be making any money on this project, as that is not the idea behind the project. The main idea is to get one for myself and in order to do that, the watch has to be manufactured in bulk.

I have not contacted any manufacturer at the moment to cost the watch but based on past experience and experience of others, the minimum order is 200 pieces as it would not be cost effective for the manufacturer to tool up for a basic run of anything less. The basic issue would be the case design. I expect if we do go forward with the project, it may take somewhere between 3 to 6 months before we actually see the fruits of our labour.

The original design of the watch calls for a 22 mm lug width, but I agree that a 24 mm lug width would be better and perhaps make the watch more balanced. Also as highlighted by terrenceterrence and Friday, it would facilitate strap change. Although the watch will be a 'diver' watch (exploring getting the depth rating up to 300M), I have decided to go with straps by Wotancraft (assuming James is interested). It important to note that the cost of a case rated to 300M is more expensive as the design has to be more robust and requires better and thicker gaskets.

I have chosen the basic bezel design as it looks like the divers of the 70s. It is basic and simple to reduce the cost. The 12 o'clock marker will be filled with luminous material and it will be staked (to ensure it will not fall off).

As for it being a MWF project, we will need the approval of the forum owners/ moderators/ administrators. I intend to have the MWF logo on the solid case back (if approved) and leave the dial as sterile as possible. Do note that the idea of a california dial is on the book as an alternate dial. The choice of solid case back is to reduce cost."

However as this project will not be a MWF project, I am sure there are concerns on the project, its justifications, warranty, delivery, manufacturing schedules, responsibilities and more so when money is involved.

As such, I believe I should withdraw this project from the forum, as I do not want to cause undue concerns with the owners, moderators, administrators and members of the forum and put this great forum in any unnecessary risks or repercussions.

The owners, moderators and administrators have been kind enough in allowing me the latitude to post the watch project on the forum. They have been very supportive and interested from the start of the project.

I appreciate and respect that the forum is non-commercial in nature and such the project perhaps could have been better served if it was done outside the realm of the forum. I guess the excitement in this has gotten the better of me.

With this in mind, I have decided it is better that I withdraw the watch project from the forum. Additionally I would like to apologise to all who has shown an interest in the project as the project is no longer on and have wasted your time and energy.