Author Topic: Project watch  (Read 38546 times)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Project watch
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:48:16 PM »
Assuming I can get this done, would anyone be interested? Perhaps as a MWF Project watch?

Basic spec:

Functions: hours, minutes, seconds
Case: stainless steel, 44 mm diameter, 15 mm thick
Crystal: sapphire
Dial: black, sandwich, colour not necessary orange
Hands: stick hands
Lume: SuperLuminova
Water resistant: 10ATM
Movement: ETA 2824
Price: As cheap as possible. Well the ETA 2824-2 (with hacking is already about USD 160, Swiss version, gilt but basic)

The watch:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Re: Project watch
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:17:58 PM »
cool!!! count me in... can possibly do a screw in 24mm lugs ala pam?

so can share straps.

dail and lume colour open for voting?

position of the MWF logo?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:42:38 PM by terrenceterrence »
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »
Orange color is cool... Count me in too..

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:11:52 PM »
Count me in too...
My opinion is it need a more exciting bezel design though...
But I'm in if it's a MWF project!!  ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Friday

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 01:24:44 AM »
Im in on this one hobbit..n terrences' " share strap " idea would be nice..as for the bezel, interestingly been eyeing a watch with bezel like this one..but perhaps without the minute markings..i bet a cleaner bezel will defo looks better imho..

MWF projecy watch ftw.. :Cheers:
"Personally, I only know the Rolex quotes that you get from the net. And they're expensive!" - S.D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 06:07:49 AM »
The basic idea for this project is that I myself want one of this watches but I cannot get them anymore. The people who made this watch is not interested to revisit this design and as such I was thinking about the possibility of making one. However, no one would just make one piece as the design is rather unique and it would not be cost effective.

There are many ways we can approach this project. But the main idea is to make one as cheap as possible but not at the cost of quality. I would like to be upfront with this project to say that I will not be making any money on this project, as that is not the idea behind the project. The main idea is to get one for myself and in order to do that, the watch has to be manufactured in bulk.

I have not contacted any manufacturer at the moment to cost the watch but based on past experience and experience of others, the minimum order is 200 pieces as it would not be cost effective for the manufacturer to tool up for a basic run of anything less. The basic issue would be the case design. I expect if we do go forward with the project, it may take somewhere between 3 to 6 months before we actually see the fruits of our labour.

The original design of the watch calls for a 22 mm lug width, but I agree that a 24 mm lug width would be better and perhaps make the watch more balanced. Also as highlighted by terrenceterrence and Friday, it would facilitate strap change. Although the watch will be a 'diver' watch (exploring getting the depth rating up to 300M), I have decided to go with straps by Wotancraft (assuming James is interested). It important to note that the cost of a case rated to 300M is more expensive as the design has to be more robust and requires better and thicker gaskets.

I have chosen the basic bezel design as it looks like the divers of the 70s. It is basic and simple to reduce the cost. The 12 o'clock marker will be filled with luminous material and it will be staked (to ensure it will not fall off).

As for it being a MWF project, we will need the approval of the forum owners/ moderators/ administrators. I intend to have the MWF logo on the solid case back (if approved) and leave the dial as sterile as possible. Do note that the idea of a california dial is on the book as an alternate dial. The choice of solid case back is to reduce cost.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:05:54 AM by TheHobbit »

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
That's one cool watch and idea.
Hoover, to achieve 200 pieces is rather mission impossible in MWF.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 10:19:40 AM »
That's one cool watch and idea.
Hoover, to achieve 200 pieces is rather mission impossible in MWF.

ck77,

Agreed. It is all up to economics of scale. I will be talking to a couple of people on this and see what is the minimum order and the pricing at that order quantity. If it makes sense, good. If not, we will see what is next.

Offline GlennTanChiaChiah

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »
perhaps make a few available options for the dial and bezel so every MWF watch is made to look distinctly different from another? just my 2 cents but anyway count me in for this one.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:40:06 PM by Inxomnia »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 12:40:40 PM »
for this design... if we can get 100 nos...
then we can likely keep it cost below rm2k

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »
Interesting idea.

Hobbit,
Can tell us more on this design and the origins of it?

I think to keep the cost down, Wotoncraft strap cost more than the movt itself hahaha.
Something to think about.

Should put a cap on the max price so it wont sky rocket?
I agree with Chris keep it under rm2k is a good idea.

I am gong to make this thread a sticky so everyone can see it.

Lets approach this project systematically, Hobbit i will let you take the lead on this.

1- Case design - I think we agreed on this design already?
2- Bezel
3- Lug size
4- Strap choice- Leather/rubber or both
5- MWF logo placement
6- See thru or solid caseback
7- Movt - Agreed on 2824?

Maybe create multiple threads on the different areas above and we can vote or give ideas.

Hope this round MWF project watch really materialize  :thumbsup:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »
Yeah... I hope this really materializes...
But to hit 200 I agree is difficult...
100 is doable if some ppl buy 2...lol
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »
perhaps make a few available options for the dial and bezel so every MWF watch is made to look distinctly different from another? just my 2 cents but anyway count me in for this one.

It would be nice to be able to offer options on the dial and bezel, but every different design and option is an extra cost as the manufacturer needs a minimum order quantity.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »
Interesting idea.

Hobbit,
Can tell us more on this design and the origins of it?

I think to keep the cost down, Wotoncraft strap cost more than the movt itself hahaha.
Something to think about.

Should put a cap on the max price so it wont sky rocket?
I agree with Chris keep it under rm2k is a good idea.

I am gong to make this thread a sticky so everyone can see it.

Lets approach this project systematically, Hobbit i will let you take the lead on this.

1- Case design - I think we agreed on this design already?
2- Bezel
3- Lug size
4- Strap choice- Leather/rubber or both
5- MWF logo placement
6- See thru or solid caseback
7- Movt - Agreed on 2824?

Maybe create multiple threads on the different areas above and we can vote or give ideas.

Hope this round MWF project watch really materialize  :thumbsup:

takashi78,

Basically the design is a mash of watches. But basically the watch is based on a retro diver watch from the 70s. There is no actually picture of a watch that has the design. The case and bezel is very 70s but the dial is from, well that popular Italian brand.

I am looking at capping the cost of the watch to between RM 1 to 1.5k tops. I have had quotes on the case, dial and hands (of another watch which I was involved in) and know roughly the cost of making the watch.

As for the cost of the straps, James (Wotancraft) has many designs (not on his website) that cost less than those on his site, but equally as good. I do like his straps as they are well built. The other option I have is to go with Dan of DaLuca Straps. Pricing is about the same but James is local (to me) and we can work out the cost. As for the inclusion of a rubber strap, that is not really an additional cost as I know the local manufacturer of the 'tropic' rubber strap and the cost is about rm30 per strap.

I already know the cost of the ETA 2824-2 which is about RM480 each. This is the basic movement, gilt and minimal decorations. It has hacking. So as a start are we in agreement with the use of the ETA movement? I still have to check with my watch guy if he can actually source that many movement. However I am sure if we do order in bulk, we may get some discount. I am also getting my watch guy to assemble the watch and he will also test and time the movement. I have checked with him and his cost is minimal, about RM 20 per watch.

So at present my costing:

Movement: RM480
Strap: RM300 (including the rubber strap)
Watch guy: RM20

So that is RM 800. That leaves us with about RM 700 for the case, dial and hands.

I will update once we are more firm with the project.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 02:28:25 PM »
Option B bezel.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
I would hazard the design A bezel is based on the Rolex Zerograph?

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 03:59:39 PM »
I'm interested!!! Cool project!

Offline acurusaragon

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »
option b bezel looks good . super cool project :thumbsup:

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 04:16:51 PM »
The estimated cost sounds affordable to many of us  :D
How about Sellita, with the same amount could we get a better finished movement?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 04:26:35 PM »
Hobbit,

You think this thread is enough to discuss the project or you think a more "formal" thread is needed?

Which gives out proper details and name list of ppl to sign up and terms/condition.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »
The estimated cost sounds affordable to many of us  :D
How about Sellita, with the same amount could we get a better finished movement?

ck77,

Sadly I have no links to source Selita movements. Thus far, I can source ETA 2824, Asian movements and Seiko 7s26/36. I don't really want to go with the Asian or Seiko cause I want the hacking and hand winding capabilities.

Do you have links to getting the Selita movements? Also I worry about after sales service as the ETA 2824 can be serviced by just about anyone, but not too sure about the Selita (although the Selita is based on the ETA 2824).

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »
TheHobbit, I too have no link to Sellita  :-[
Interesting cali dial  :thumbsup:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 04:46:52 PM »
Hobbit,

You think this thread is enough to discuss the project or you think a more "formal" thread is needed?

Which gives out proper details and name list of ppl to sign up and terms/condition.

takashi78,

I think at the moment this thread is enough. I think we still need to gage the number of people interested in the project as is. I will work out the finer details soon, like the exact design, size, movement, packaging, terms and condition, shipping, etc. Basically at the moment, as it stands we have less then 10 people interested.

We still need confirmation from the owners of MWF if we can proceed with the project under the MWF banner.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »
Not really wanting to jump the gun, but here is the Cali Dial option. I suspect this will be more popular. The dial would be cheaper as compared to doing a sandwich dial.

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
Cali dial is good!!!