Author Topic: Arguments for and against Rolex  (Read 104049 times)

Offline wslee

Arguments for and against Rolex
« on: April 19, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »
Note:I dont create this all by myself,just happen to find this over askmen.com. Thought sharing with you all and lastly no offense to who love rolex

Arguments against Rolex

Rolex Movements Are Over-Hyped
First, the movement quality of your run-of-the-mill Rolex is nothing special. In fact, many much more affordable Swiss watches use movements that keep time just as well. To add insult to injury, there are even some Chinese, Japanese and Russian movements that are just as -- if not more -- accurate as a standard Rolex movement.

Rolex Watches Look Stale
Rolex’s designs are stale. This brand hasn’t released a truly new model in over a decade, and the majority of the watches it makes today are exact duplicates of the watches it made half a century ago. In fact, the biggest innovation it has made in recent years is a new metal called “Rolesor,” which is heavily advertised as a great new substance for watchmaking. Guess what; it’s just steel and gold.

Rolex Stories Are Nothing But A Myth
All those stories you hear about Rolexes being chosen as the watch for great adventures are only half true. For example, Rolex claims Sir Edmund Hillary wore an Explorer when he scaled the summit of Mount Everest for the first time. This is not the case. In fact, he only carried the Explorer until he reached the summit and then put on a watch from a small British company called Smiths. Hillary even wrote a signed letter endorsement to Smiths stating: “I carried your watch to the summit and it worked perfectly.” Rolex also submitted a watch to NASA in the early ‘60s to be considered for use in the moon missions. We all know how that turned out.

Rolex Watches Are For Seniors Or Rappers
It is rare for a brand to be considered both stodgy and lame and ghetto fabulous at the very same time, yet Rolex has done it. If you ask one person on the street what they think of Rolex, they’ll tell you their elderly grandfather wears one in between rounds of golf and his daily 2 p.m. nap. If you ask another, they’ll tell you the only people that wear Rolexes are athletes and rappers. So which are you, a sleepy 85-year-old bald man or an 18-year-old athlete from the hood trying to prove his worth to the world?

Rolex Watches Are For Posers
If you are not one of the two groups mentioned above, wearing a Rolex oozes desperation. Yes, a Rolex is the most recognizable watch on the planet -- now is that supposed to be a good thing? Young men that don a Rolex are perceived as self-absorbed, insecure and image-obsessed by those around them. Essentially, you just look like a douche. Be confident enough in yourself and in your sense of style that you don’t need to be wearing a veritable calling card of the nouveau riche.

Arguments for Rolex
Rolex Watches Are Classic
You’ll see below that most Rolex watches are archetypes: The Rolex Submariner is the classic diver’s watch, The Rolex Datejust is the classic formal men’s watch of the last half century and The Rolex Daytona is the classic sports chronograph. Rolex has benefited from keeping its product line simple and consistent. Instead of releasing brand new models, it keeps refining existing designs. This is extremely important because each watch contains the suggestions and wearing experiences of countless people who together have helped create timepieces that look good and work well.

Take the Rolex Submariner line as an example. Based on the classic “Oyster” water-resistant watch cases, the timepiece is specifically designed to be easy to read in most conditions, to be hardy and have a comfortable and reliable construction. The Submariner design has achieved an almost impossible task: to look good on almost every person, on any occasion, regardless of age or outfit. Other Rolex watches edge close to this ideal as well. You have to ask yourself the question of whether that is due to something about the design of these watches or rather because we have been seeing them on important wrists our whole lives, and they simply mentally fit these positive watch stereotypes.

James Bond Wore A Rolex
Omega doesn’t want you to know this, but the original James Bond watch was a Rolex Submariner. Creator Ian Fleming wrote that Bond was wearing the timepiece, while Sean Connery in the role brandished his Submariner proudly. Countless actors, celebrities and politicians have also been known to be Rolex men. Take the popular line of Paul Newman Daytona watches, or the Rolex Day-Date nicknamed the “President,” because many U.S. presidents (and otherwise) during the 20th century were known to wear the watch. Wearing a Rolex and being associated with these people and personalities can hardly be described as something you’d want to avoid. 

Rolex Watches Are The Ultimate Status Symbol
Wearing a Rolex watch communicates to people that you are successful enough to have rewarded yourself with the luxury of a nice watch. Rolex watches are not the only luxury watches out there by far, but they are the most well-known. From basic entry-level luxury models to diamond-encrusted gold watches for the ultra-privileged, a Rolex is so much more than a mere timepiece. It is a statement about your way of life and taste. Some people take it even further; the world of aftermarket Rolex watches feature decorated brims and jewel encrusted designs, suggesting that telling time becomes a mere afterthought.

Other watches also want to be like Rolex, whose designs are the most copied the world over. Most of these watches legitimize “homage” timepieces with a different brand name, but there is of course the dark underworld of fakes as well. You’ll find at least a little of Rolex design in the majority of nice watches out there. So, even if you don’t have a watch with the Rolex name, chances are there is a bit of Rolex influence. You can’t deny that even if Rolex watch designs don’t move you, a big part of you wants one.

Rolex Watches Have Excellent Movements
Being a company that makes all of its own parts (rare in the watch world), it goes without saying that Rolex makes each of its own movements (historically, this was not always the case), excluding other watch companies from using Rolex mechanical movements. While Rolex is not known in the modern sense for having particularly complex movements (it offers basic watches with features such as the time, date, day, or a chronograph), it is preferred by watch makers to work on being so well designed, easy to fix and highly reliable. As such, almost every Rolex movement sold is COSC certified Chronometer attesting to its accuracy.

Rolex Watches Hold Value
Among the few truly collectible watch brands from a value perspective are Rolex timepieces. It has been said that you can buy a new Rolex Submariner today, wear it for five years, and then sell it in good condition for close to the original purchase price. Like cars, most other watches lose a chunk of their value after being sized and put on a buyer’s wrist. There are also the investment-grade Rolex watches that achieve stellar auction results yielding some of the most impressive prices ever known at an auction. This is due to the power behind the Rolex name and brand, as well as the world’s fervor for these “gold standard” super watches.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: Arguments for and against Rolex
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »
Interesting read. Thanks. I have to say that Rolex is an iconic watch and I believe that it is a 'must' for every collection. Regardless if you like it or not.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »
If you wear a sub and put on nato/leather strap... No one will think that is a rolex...

Damn, must get myself a sub later in life  :Cheers:

Offline gloomis

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »
i got a rollie becoz they have very good 2nd value, which i think mostly every watch collector will agreed to.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:01:06 PM »
seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind.

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:10:37 PM »
Rolex offers the best bang for the buck for a Swiss watch in the price category bar none.

Which other swiss watch offers an excellent build quality with robust full in-house movement and quality assurance & brand recognition as a Rolex within the same price bracket?

you can say a Sinn or Damasko is a very good watch but look under a loupe compared to a Rolex and you'll know the difference. it may not be haute holorogy, but the quality is there for a very mass produced product. i may not be an expert but the error margin for Rolex may be very very low.

it's the watch standard that every single swiss watchmaker aspires to be. Frank Mueller sings praises about it

Are there brands that make high end products but have successfully gone mass?

A good example is Rolex. Now, a Rolex watch has enormous value relative to its price. It is really excellent value. It is the accessibility of its price that allows Rolex to sell 1 million watches a year. But have you ever looked at a Rolex movement? These are incredibly high end movements. They are high end in the manner they are made, in the way they are decorated in the way that they are designed, and they are in-house. I look at Rolex objectively I would say they are incredible because you have tremendous value. The same thing goes for an Omega Constellation chronograph. You look at the price and then you realize for this relatively low price you are getting a high end movement.

http://revo-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116

t

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:19:32 PM »
Alot of watch collectors would try to be different and disses Rolex and their "new money look at me" feeling.

But as you dvelve deeper, everyone keeps on coming back to the brand. Can you seriously tell me a PAM 88 deserves to be in the same price bracket as a GMTIIc? as much as i want to have an 88 too but when it comes to taking cash out from my wallet, it just does not offer the same thing as an GMTIIc.

Rolex watch history is not a hype, ppl actually pay their hard earned cash to get something that is not issued to them. The case with astronaut strapping a GMT on one wrist while having an issued speedy on the other. Allied pilots wearing Rolexes and etc.. A watch brand that have rode every crisis that killed almost all swiss watches and survived and thrived.

it's not a marketing hype if you do not have a very good product to back it up.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »
This is an interesting quote from the article:

"All those stories you hear about Rolexes being chosen as the watch for great adventures are only half true. For example, Rolex claims Sir Edmund Hillary wore an Explorer when he scaled the summit of Mount Everest for the first time. This is not the case. In fact, he only carried the Explorer until he reached the summit and then put on a watch from a small British company called Smiths. Hillary even wrote a signed letter endorsement to Smiths stating: “I carried your watch to the summit and it worked perfectly.”

Errr he carried the Rolex? So he wore the Smiths? But the article says he then put on a watch... so he also carried the Smiths. Both watches made it to the top of Everest. What ever the case may be, Tenzing did wear a Rolex to the top. It was the Rolex given to him by Swiss Mountaineer Raymond Lambert.

Terrenceterrence, thank you for the very apt quote "I think buying a watch for it's second hand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind". :)

I don't love Rolex. I like the brand. But the more I read about the brand, the more I feel that it is a great brand with lots of history. The best thing about the Rolex brand, its after sales service. I have had no (touch wood) problems with them. Be it in Malaysia or Taiwan or Japan. Trust me I know. Compare that to the experience I got from other brands, I have to say that they have a long way to go.

The other brand which I think has great value is Omega. It is a bit under rated for what it is offering.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 05:21:59 AM »
lolex Have very strict aftersales procedure to follow. Hence the good service exp by many ppl. Not to mention very hard to get spare part outside the official channel.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 06:09:33 AM »
Good read. Thanks for sharing.

I would say every true collector who is worth his/her salt, must have at least a Rolex in his/her collections.
Correct me, if I am wrong.

I have bought and sold many a 6694's in my course of watch collecting. Yet, I am back to basic yearning for one now that I could feel the daily winding sensation. Hoping to come across one pc with pristine condition that worth keeping and for good.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 06:20:47 AM »
A very long but very good read by Mr Rolex James Dowling.

Posted by James M. Dowling on February 10, 1998 at 22:24:33:

It's a free world, you can love or hate any one or any thing that you choose. However the point that I would like to make is that a little research might convince even the most ardent critic of Rolex (or of the folks who wear them) that in this case a little tolerance might be no bad thing. Let us first look at the facts and then turn our view upon the perception.

1. To all intents and purposes, Rolex invented the wristwatch, as we know it. Sure there were companies making and marketing the things before Rolex burst upon the scene in 1905. But none of them put the effort that Rolex did into this new market. The reason for this is that the older companies could see no reason to change; they had major investments in plant and machinery designed specifically to make pocket watches. So why should they change. Rolex had nothing, no history, no factory and most importantly no tradition. So the only option open to them was that of being an innovator; and the innovation they chose was the wristwatch
   2. Rolex without doubt invented the waterproof wristwatch; again as with all their other advances, they were not the originators of the concept. But they were the people who made it work, the screw down crown was a classically simple concept and Wilsdorf had the genius to see the simplicity and make it work for the company.
   3. Once again with self-winding mechanisms, Rolex saw the way the market was going, saw the mistakes all their predecessors had made and neatly sidestepped them all. Whilst many other competing self winding systems have arisen in the 65 years since Rolex introduced the Auto Rotor system, the vast majority of all automatic watches now use a version of the Rolex concept.
   4. However despite all of the above reasons, my opinion is that the greatest advance Rolex have ever made is their decision to gain chronometer certification for a few and then for almost all their watches. In the days before Rolex instituted this program, every watch manufacturer TALKED about the accuracy of their watches; but Rolex were the first people ever to have the accuracy proved by an independent agency. Before the advent of quartz watches; accuracy was in direct relationship to the cost of the watch; therefore people wanted to know that their watch was really accurate. Rolex gave them that assurance.
   5. Nowadays we are all used to the concept of Tool watches, that is watches designed for a particular job or hobby; you know the sort of thing...diving watches, sailing watches, pilot's watches etc. Well Rolex invented that concept too. The Submariner, the GMT Master and the Milgauss were all pioneers in this field.
   6. Being waterproof and shockproof long before the rest of the watch industry was, Rolex became the natural choice of sports people who needed a watch. From this starting point they then moved to make watches FOR sportsmen; this moved the Tool watch concept on a little further. Watches such as the Explorer 1 and 2 were targeted at climbers and cave explorers, they were simple timepieces but with high visibility dials and very strong cases. Once again they created a market and defined it.
   7. They are, by far, the most innovative of all the Swiss watch companies; as well as all the new ideas mentioned above; Rolex have always pursued a long term development strategy. They have patented more than a thousand advances in horology during their 90+ year history.
   8. Rolex is now the most self-sufficient watch company in Europe; they make all their own movements (apart from chronograph movements), all their cases, all their bracelets and all their crystals. They own most of their distributors and have no shareholders (as all the shares are held by 2 family trusts which have charitable status) because of this they can pursue long term goals without fear.
   9. They are, without doubt, the largest Swiss watchmaker. Producing around 800,000 watches a year, they still sell every watch they make. They are dependent on no single market, one could really say that the world is their OYSTER!!!!!!!! (sorry)
  10. Perhaps the one problem they do have is that they have become a victim of their own success. Whilst the company has not changed its design philosophy; their public perception have changed. Whereas Rolex made its name with sports watches and still makes more of them than any other kind of watch; many people think of diamond encrusted Day-Dates when they hear the name Rolex. However this is not the fault of the company.
  11. Rolex have the longest single continuous ownership of any Swiss watch company; having been owned by the same two families (and its successor trusts) for its entire existence. During this time the company has essentially had only 2 chief executives (the third came to power in 1997). Both of these factors have enabled the company to steer in an uninterrupted course throughout its history.
  12. Many people whine about the cost of a new Rolex; they forget 2 things. Firstly Rolex manage to sell every watch they make (so obviously SOME people do not think they are too expensive). Secondly, no-one was ever forced to buy a Rolex watch; it is a decision people make with their own free will and their own money. In the end, the free market rules everything.
  13. It is difficult to talk about Rolex watches without talking about resale value; in simple terms Rolex (new or used) retain a higher percentage of their cost than any other production Swiss watch. Everything from the no date Submariner all the way to the President can be resold in an instant anywhere in the world, for very good money. Also, if the watch was bought used, it is quite possible to wear a Rolex for 2 or 3 years and sell it for the same price you paid for it. Apart from the cost of the money invested, essentially that makes it a free watch.
  14. One of the reasons to buy a Rolex may well be one of the best, but undoubtedly one that no-one ever thinks of: it is that most of the profits made through the sale of the watches go to good causes. As mentioned above, the company is owned by two family trusts. The larger one (the Wilsdorf family trusts) gives a fixed sum to the remaining members of his family but the majority is given to charitable causes; including a high school in his home town and the watchmakers school in Geneva. This gives rise to the thought that if it were not for the substantial profits made by Rolex, there would probably be no Franck Muller; because it was at the Geneva watchmaker's school that Muller learned his trade.

As I said in the introduction, if you want to hate Rolex; then be my guest but at least I hope when you do you will at least give the devil his due.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 07:03:26 PM »
Those who argue against rolex do not have one. Those that argue for rolex have at least one.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline wslee

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 06:53:21 PM »
I guess most asians love Rolex. Since we were young, i guess we were already infected by Rolex Disease. I'm sure you all can remember those days, when family having gathering,aunty likes to show off their diamond rings and as for the uncle, of cos their trusted brand of watch-Rolex.
As a young boy,sure curious about the Bling Bling watch then will definitely ask your uncle. Thats where they got the attention and will start to boost how much they got the watch for. You can sense how proud they are :Dancing_banana:

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 08:06:36 AM »
great write ups...just noticed this..

actually, i always see rolex as for old people and rich towkays..in fact..once i was hanging around in streets (when i was ard 10 years old).....and one old man came out from a stairway entrance.... he looked in a hurry..suddenly there was a shout in Chinese `lau pan (boss)..you forgot your watch' and behold a young lady with heavy makeup came out from same entrance,  passed a bling bling Rolex to this old man..he looked embarassed, quickly took his watch and walked away...

it was only years later i understood what actually happened that day... :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
(but nowadays if you left your watch behind... your action video will be on line!!!  :Laughing_on_floor:)

so to me ....rolex is always chinese towkay kind of brand..

...until...

...i joined MWF and see the way some of you wear and talk your Rollies...and read articles like this....darn!  now i know the legacy behind some of em models...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:49:00 AM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 10:17:19 AM »
Some buy rolek to show off it's wealth, so they buy the bling bling one

some buy rolek bcoz they dunno other gd watch brand

some buy rolek bcoz rolek is very liquid

some buy rolex bcoz they know rolex is tough n they jus dun feel like wearing something cheap

some buy rolex with modification to match their style

Some buy rolex because they understand rolex, they love rolex, they collect rolex...

So to talk about good or bad bout rolex? Depend u talk to who...
U talk to rolek owner sure he said gd bcoz he had the bling bling one, he dunno other brand, he can sell it with money at pawn shop jus in case....

U talk to those who know rolex n watches, then u can get different opinion....

So important is not about how good or how bad is rolex? But how good n how bad are you when u consider rolex!
Zhou mai Zhou lo dou
chi mai mo de lo
 :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline sshark

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 05:18:46 PM »
so chris, is this ur guiding princple for buying a roles? ;)

Zhou mai Zhou lo dou
chi mai mo de lo

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 06:13:34 AM »

Zhou mai Zhou lo dou
chi mai mo de lo

Hahhaa.. i don't understand that 2 lines le ;D

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 06:37:44 AM »
I also dun understand.... hehehehe!

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 07:26:42 AM »
seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind.

"Like"...if only we have such button, I'd click on it for this one! Good one bro..

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 07:42:46 AM »

Holy sh!t... that's so clever...
It's gonna be my sig frm now on if you allow it...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline sshark

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 08:00:20 AM »
u could come out a tagline with different words but to the same effect then u dun hv to ask for permission.
that how they circumvent copyrights ;) no offence Terence 

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »

Zhou mai Zhou lo dou
chi mai mo de lo

Hahhaa.. i don't understand that 2 lines le ;D
i think what he meant was
early buy ealr can make money
late buy cannot make money..

Jacky Wong

Offline kaxen

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 03:00:16 PM »
i dont like rolex since most of them wear by ah long...

Offline sshark

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 07:20:30 PM »
Hmmm all ah long also wear pants and t-shirts... ;)

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
i dont like rolex since most of them wear by ah long...

I also wanna be ah long if can have rose gold Daytona.. enough gold chain for me do do bicep curls.. left hug, right hold China XMMs + a waist bag full of cash rolled up with rubberband  :Laughing_on_floor: