Author Topic: Watch Shop in Malaysia  (Read 55115 times)

Offline dpkong

Re: Watch Shop in Malaysia
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Just for fun next time, try the following lines.

You: Hello and good afternoon. Is this <insert shop name>.

Sales Rep: Ya. What you want ah?

You: Splendid. My name is Ah Too and I'm calling on behalf of my boss, Tun/Tan Si/Datuk <insert someone's name> to ask if you have a particular watch in stock.

Sales Rep: Oooohh.. , yes yes yes.. what watch you want?? (followed by some panting noises)

Actually, when I was hunting for a local AP 15300 in stainless steel, I called all ADs listed in the AP website. While the SA weren't really helpful, they were not rude. They did tell me they didn't have any in stock and don't expect any more but quickly told me that they have the gold models and some Millenary and Jules Audemars models and asked me to drop in to look.

The best by far was an AD in Penang where I spoke to a very nice male SA. His tone wasn't very good in the first 1 or 2 minutes but it quickly changed after he found out I was interested in an Audemars Piguet.

Offline rnsm1979

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »
maybe next time should wear slipper, shorts and singlet to those AD and see how they treat u, lol

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »
Had an uneasy experience with 1 of watch shop in mid valley old wing when i was buying my 1st ball hydrocarbon watch.
As i didnt have much experience buying mechanical watches altho that time i knew exactly what i wanted ,
i was trying to find out more about the hydrocarbon series the claim that they can withstand a certain G force & coldness.
The SA was not very helpful & told me that there is no such such features/no such thing bla bla bla (made me look like a fool), i don't think he is even interested to get to know the product that they're selling
Needless to say , i walked of fuming & bought my hydrocarbon from 1 of the AD in Gardens , on the same day. 

At least i was treated with more respect & better customer service. :HammerHead: :HammerHead:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2012, 12:38:23 PM »
Had an uneasy experience with 1 of watch shop in mid valley old wing when i was buying my 1st ball hydrocarbon watch.
As i didnt have much experience buying mechanical watches altho that time i knew exactly what i wanted ,
i was trying to find out more about the hydrocarbon series the claim that they can withstand a certain G force & coldness.
The SA was not very helpful & told me that there is no such such features/no such thing bla bla bla (made me look like a fool), i don't think he is even interested to get to know the product that they're selling
Needless to say , i walked of fuming & bought my hydrocarbon from 1 of the AD in Gardens , on the same day. 

At least i was treated with more respect & better customer service. :HammerHead: :HammerHead:

If I am correct in thinking which 2 shops you went to, they are both under the same ownership.. :D

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2012, 01:18:02 PM »
On weekends, I always visit watch shops or boutiques in Starhill/ KLCC/Pavilion/ Fahrenheit in my wrinkled camo shorts and polo shirt with unshaven face and uncombed hair.

I think the key thing is to be confident. Walk in knowing that you have the means to buy what u are asking for and that confidence will show through your words and actions.

Haven't had any poor reception so far maybe because I look very uncle lo...
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »

If I am correct in thinking which 2 shops you went to, they are both under the same ownership.. :D

Where i bought the ball , they do have mother co in the old wing , but not that 1  ;)

Offline Primus

« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2012, 01:56:22 PM »
On weekends, I always visit watch shops or boutiques in Starhill/ KLCC/Pavilion/ Fahrenheit in my wrinkled camo shorts and polo shirt with unshaven face and uncombed hair.

I think the key thing is to be confident. Walk in knowing that you have the means to buy what u are asking for and that confidence will show through your words and actions.

Haven't had any poor reception so far maybe because I look very uncle lo...

I agree about what you said about confidence. Although a few times i prefer sometimes to wear a nice watch, because some of the SA are really very obvious. When i'm talking to them looking in the face their eyes will automatically look at my wrist and they're not subtle about it, very obvious. Sometimes i wear my nice dress watch so i can also automatically get some good service.

Although my above post when i was very angry was actually a phone call! Untill now i still don't understand why there is a SA that is so stupid and be so rude when answering phone call of prospective customer asking about stock.

Offline Primus

« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »

Actually i'm also quite surprise why there are some staff so unexperienced or uninterested in the product they are selling. If they are selling boring items i can understand but knowing the watches they have in the shop can also be fun and educational at the same time can be helpful when dealing with customer. I've asked some shops in super super high end boutique before about what calibre is this watch or the BPH (beats per hour) and some of them don't know what i'm talking about or just open the product booklet and just point to me and say does any of the info here answer your question.

Hmm... maybe our watch industry is still at a infact stage in malaysia unlike other more developed countries. But i have alot of hope as for every one bad experience i have had i always get 2-3 good experiences, so the future looks good.

Just hope the watch industry here don't end up being monopolized by just one or two companies.

Offline sm

« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2012, 05:04:24 PM »
Let me share my observation:

1. The preowned watch dealer usually behave indifferently cos most of them deal w regulars. They usually dont like to be asked many technical questions and tries-on.

2. The small & medium sized AD's are most accomodating and less picky on how one dresses. Their product knowledge may or may not be up to the mark but generally they are more easy going.

3. The bigger AD's comprise of two groups. One that is less concerned of who you are or what you do, unless asked, they will leave you alone. The 2nd group could be pushy or more discriminating cos they possess better knowledge and truly do have a strong clientele list.

I echo many of the forumers comment on the lackadaisical attitude of some sales staff. Well it takes two hands to clap; next time when we patronise the shop, display our confidence and exudes cheerfulness, I am certain we shall be be entertained.

Sm

Offline gck

« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2012, 11:22:21 AM »
last time i went in to one watch shop with a seiko, no one hiew me.
yesterday i went with a pam, the fella layan me so nice.

Offline kenixck

« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2012, 03:15:05 AM »
skim komisen