Author Topic: Bad experience for warranty claim(Pre-owned watch)  (Read 33402 times)

Offline Jy84

Bad experience for warranty claim(Pre-owned watch)
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »
Hi Guys,

I would like to seek advise from fellow forumer on pre-owned watch warranty claim on behalf of my close friend.  My friend purchase a Rolex Explorer II(year 2013, ref - 216570) from a reputable pre-owned shop called H*** T**  in Tropicana City Mall with box and paper about half a year ago.  Few days back the local hour needle has fail to rotate while the GMT hands is still running and my friend decide to send it back to the shop where she purchase her watch for a quick check. One of the shop employee name F***k mentioned that the gear could be damage as it is not recommend to wind the watch between 9 to 3(he did not mentioned whether it was pm or am), he also mentioned that there are 265 gears in the watch(i suspect he try to scare my lady friend about the complication of the watch). After checking the watch, he called and confirm that the gear is indeed broken and when my friend asked for warranty, he mentioned that the warranty do no cover the broken gear as it was a mistake when the watch was wrongly wind.

He informed that the cost is RM500 to replace the gear as it is not part of the warranty and he have already ordered the parts from rolex. While checking out their website, they mentioned that

"Extended 3 years Warranty : It might be pre-owned but it still comes with THIRTY-SIX (36) months of comprehensive warranty. YES, it’s somehow beyond some brand manufacturer’s warranty period. So if your watch isn't working properly through no fault of your own, we will fix it, free of charge. Our team is available to attend to you for seven (7) days a week, so we will be able to get your watch booked in and repaired for you as quickly as possible".

My understanding is that comprehensive shall cover the gear replacement right? After discussing with F***k, he informed my friend to collect back the watch un-repair and send in to rolex to get a quotation.

Any fellow forumer can advise what to do on this matter? is it true that the watch cannot be wind between 9-3 as what explained by them?

The watch is still currently with them. Should my friend proceed with the repair or should she make a report to the consumer complaint center?

Now my friend is afraid that they will intentionally damage the gear to proof that there is indeed damage to the watch (i hope that they will not do that as i believe they are quite reputable in pre-owned watch business).

Thanks in advance.  :) :)

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Bad experience for warranty claim(Pre-owned watch)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:51:39 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Expoler II's hour hand can be adjusted independently and it can be wind during any hour.
Based on the facts, I think TH is trying to BS your friend.
Since the watch is dated 2013, perhaps still under Rolex 2 years warranty?
Try bring it to Rolex Service Center or I suggest to file a claim with Tribunal for Consumers if TH doesn't want to honour the warranty.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:01:12 PM »
Send to rolex sc and determine the root cause. Then issue a legal letter base on sc inspection result.
Just my 2 cents

Offline Jy84

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »
Hi guys,

I made a mistake here. It is a 2011 watch, therefore it is not under Rolex warranty but Rolex did mention that they can check the watch for RM 240 before providing a quotation.

As what he mentioned earlier, my friend broke the gear due to winding the watch "wrongly". With this reason, will TH be able to deny warranty on the watch?

Thanks again for the advice.

Offline sshark

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
In general, you can wind your manual or automatic watch any time. I guess it is fine with old vintage watches unless you are told otherwise. Also, as a rule of thumb, you do not set the date between 2100 and 400. Yes, for rolex explorer 2, this is not the case because the date can be set forward or backward by forwarding or reversing the 12-hour hand. That guy either conned your friend into paying for warranty which they promised or being lazy to service the watch.

Offline rnsm1979

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:55:14 PM »
sorry but in what sense that they could prove that the gear was to be broken because u wrongly wind ?
were HT able to prove that ?

i was wondering were it written anywhere in their warranty that wrongly wind or broken gear is not covered ?

Offline Jy84

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 02:02:38 PM »
sorry but in what sense that they could prove that the gear was to be broken because u wrongly wind ?
were HT able to prove that ?

i was wondering were it written anywhere in their warranty that wrongly wind or broken gear is not covered ?

It is not mentioned in their warranty, F****k mentioned that since it is wound wrongly, it is consider human fault and it is not covered under their warranty.

But to me, when they advertise "comprehensive" warranty in their website, i would assume the watch internal mechanism should be covered  under their warranty policy.

Offline rnsm1979

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »
by right, it should cover for the warranty,
anyhow they have no proof that you wrongly wind it

but the sifus here should shared more lights/ info for this actually

Offline sshark

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 02:13:49 PM »
Say, you win the argument, they accept their responsibilities and accept the watch, do you trust them to repair the watch in good faith?

I understand  the conditions they impose on you are unfair but ultimately they are the one who decide how your watch get repaired. We can continue to the discussion but if you do not trust them then it is no point dwelling on this issue but to send to rolex service center to get it fixed. Don't buy from them anymore and advise your friends and family accordingly.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:20:19 PM by sshark »

Offline Yoda

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 02:37:53 PM »
Jy84

Help your friend to draft an official letter to TH get them acknowledged receipt the letter of the condition and ask them to reply in writing. Give them 14 days to reply insert a para that if they don't reply you will update all the potential customers in this forum of their after sale service

Good luck
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline Everdying

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »
as others already mentioned, that shop is just trying to snake / con their way out of it.
a quickset hour movement like that gmt can be winded anytime, but the hour hand not moving anymore is usually a case of worn gear, certainly not from incorrect winding, and is not that uncommon.

Offline SUPAN

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 03:48:56 PM »
my feeling is ... spend money is to get a working watch ... on wrist happy happy ....

if you honestly take care of the watch and it is the watch shop mistake (or previous owner mistake) then the shop should be responsible if not why do they earn a profit ?

i would get the decision maker to come to an agreement on the same day. if not you reserve your rights to engage a laywer to sue them ... however you must have your receipts.

Offline 0501024

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 10:37:22 PM »
like rnsm said, how are they SURE that a broken gear is caused by human error?
why not blame the gravitational pull of the moon, for that matter?

sounds like BS to me

Offline Xix

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 06:42:14 AM »
I feel for the friend. Not an expert but I also feel the warranty should cover this "fault". To the experts, is there a way to "wrongly" wind a watch, particularly for this model.
Perhaps you could negotiate for rsc to do repairs, and H**T to bear the cost.

Sent thru Tapatalk

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 07:57:08 AM »
i have encounter many rolexs and never i have heard you cant wind at 9-3 , absolute bullshit. I have done that so many times myself  and it didn't do any damage. This is a very poor manner  for that shop to handle their customers like that and i will defo have second thoughts to buy from it in future.

Offline Everdying

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 08:29:45 AM »
anyway, this isnt the first time i'm hearing of complains against the said shop in tropicana and which they then brushed off.
i wish u good luck in pursuing further, perhaps further use the power of social media if u will...
make them feel stupid in what they said.

Offline Jy84

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 09:27:03 AM »
My friend just collected the unrepaired watch from HT, Mr. Fr**K H*n explained that she misunderstood their warranty policy. Their warranty only cover calibration of the watch if the time is not accurate (e.g the time got slower or faster), What a bull shit statement from someone that declare "comprehensive warranty" in their website.

I think they are planning to pull a fast one on my friend. Anyway my friend decided to fix the watch somewhere else and proceed with consumer complaint.

Hopefully fellow forumer will take note on my friend's experience before purchasing any watches from HT.

Thanks for the valuable advice.

Offline rnsm1979

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 09:37:27 AM »
what a crap, anyway the shop repu is totally gone now
as we all know, there is plenty of potential customer/ collect from MWF
and everyone know this HT referring to 

Offline Everdying

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »
My friend just collected the unrepaired watch from HT, Mr. Fr**K H*n explained that she misunderstood their warranty policy. Their warranty only cover calibration of the watch if the time is not accurate (e.g the time got slower or faster), What a bull shit statement from someone that declare "comprehensive warranty" in their website.

I think they are planning to pull a fast one on my friend. Anyway my friend decided to fix the watch somewhere else and proceed with consumer complaint.

Hopefully fellow forumer will take note on my friend's experience before purchasing any watches from HT.

Thanks for the valuable advice.

their website states -
"Should a defect occur that falls under the warranty and is recognized as such by our management, we will repair or replace at our discretion and without additional cost the defective parts and/or correct a faulty repair."

so basically they recognize it as a defect, which they are obliged to repair, but are instead brushing it off as user error which is highly unlikely given that it is a GMT quick set hour movement.

Offline contender

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 10:14:50 AM »
I too had a not so good experience with Hxxx Txxx in their SS2 outlet many years back on my Tag Heuer when I sent for battery change, normal battery change but they "spoil" rotating bezel .... they claimed it was already damage when I brought it. No more click click sound when rotating after battery change. They were struggling to open back case for battery replacement plus got a fairly deep scratch which they acknowledge is their fault. They only admit about the scratch and still charge me for the battery. I spoke to the old man / owner Mr Hxx but he couldn't give a damn and say go Consumer Tribunial etc, I also told him I will write to Malaymail hotline to complain about them. They say change rotating bezel will cost a couple of hundred.  I was really pissed ....

At the end went to Tag Heuer service center to check, luckily only need to change the spring, less than 100 so cool down after that.   :Praying: :shocked1:

Offline Cwlwatch

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 10:20:38 AM »
Very bad one

They only care their profit

Bad seller

Offline Devilzzz44

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 10:30:31 AM »
Ouchhh....sad to hear that H***T*** will come out with such BS excuses....i know Fr*** personally and have deal with him once too...that's gonna create a very bad name for their shop for future businesses..

Offline chenht

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »
Stay clear from this shop to teach them a lesson.
16710, 116710TT, 116610LV, PAM00312,  Santos & Tank

Offline deriku

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 12:03:26 PM »
Bummer, sorry to hear that. I guess it takes an unfortunate incident to really gauge how well the service is.

Seen their ads in M***h and prices don't seem too attractive anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yoda

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 12:14:37 PM »
Ouchhh....sad to hear that H***T*** will come out with such BS excuses....i know Fr*** personally and have deal with him once too...that's gonna create a very bad name for their shop for future businesses..

If you know this Fxxxk personally I suggest you let him know about this thread and give a clarification otherwise his shop is blacklisted by the members who had seen this thread
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda