Author Topic: Going to buy my first rolex this weekend!  (Read 68780 times)

Online ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Going to buy my first rolex this weekend!
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2013, 08:10:08 PM »
What a bad day for you  :Blue:

Offline Kopassus77

• www.soundcloud.com/thshks
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »
What a bad day for you  :Blue:

Indeed, was hoping to get it today. I guess, I have to postpone it until I find a more legit store...or find more cash  ;D

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »
Live to shop another day... patience is a virtue and will be rewarded. We look forward to see your acquisition!

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2013, 08:40:50 PM »
Live to shop another day... patience is a virtue and will be rewarded. We look forward to see your acquisition!

Thank you for the wise words, good sir :Cheers:

Offline Calibr

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »
You might get good bargains from the Classified section in this forum. Read the recommendations; many forum-members have good experiences with these merchants. I think if you PM some of the members who posted their buying experience, they might give you some pointers too. It's certainly better than hopping from one shopping mall to another with cash in the pocket looking for your grail..

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »
One is never enough (Just like women) (I'm joking obviously)....

Joke you say? We'll see young man, we'll see....

hahahahahahaha I just didn't want to offend any female members  :P

Hahaha...no worries cos 'female' members r very rare in this forum....for us (female) one man is enough, the rest is history  ;D

Well said Mrs. Beckham  :thumbsup: :Cheers:
watchManU

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2013, 09:25:19 PM »
You could check out reputable grey importers like TP at Fahrenheit 88 (ex KL plaza) or BSC.  Discount on new watches are very much better than the ADs.  Happy hunting.  :Cheers:

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2013, 09:32:19 PM »
Maybe that "rolex" watch wasn't meant for you, keep looking around and I'm sure you will find the "rolex" watch that you want soon. Good luck! :thumbsup:
watchManU

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »
You might get good bargains from the Classified section in this forum. Read the recommendations; many forum-members have good experiences with these merchants. I think if you PM some of the members who posted their buying experience, they might give you some pointers too. It's certainly better than hopping from one shopping mall to another with cash in the pocket looking for your grail..

That I will do, thank you kennT, appreciate the tips  ;D ;D

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »
You could check out reputable grey importers like TP at Fahrenheit 88 (ex KL plaza) or BSC.  Discount on new watches are very much better than the ADs.  Happy hunting.  :Cheers:

THANK YOU! I will definitely check it out this month. Might as well for this month's pay to go hunting again for the extra $$$ thanks again for the location  :thumbsup:

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »

That I will do, thank you kennT, appreciate the tips  ;D ;D

amen  :Praying: :Praying: I'm actually considering GMT master II now other than the steel sub (either those 2). All in all, amidst the frustration, today was a good experience. Hope I can get the new catch in time for next year's MWF gathering, can't wait to meet with the sifus here and learn more  ;D

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2013, 10:08:56 PM »
OH, actually wanted to ask this to the rolex seniors here; Do all models of rolexes (especially subs / GMT Master II) engraved / laser printed with the "rolexrolexrolex" on the edges of it? Checked out one of the no date subs models today and there werent any. I'm not sure if only certain models has it, or it was a fake. There was one store that I went that a sub model with a very flimsy steel strap, I instantly felt it was a red flag for me to get out from that place. (I suspect they've changed the steel strap with a cheaper one). There's also one more shop I went, a 1980-1990 ish sub date, very sturdy and solid and almost copped this one for around 14k. But I noticed how the rotating bezel was VERY loose; a red flag instantly popped on to my head, so I head out and left the mall and proceeded to weep on the corner of my room as I reached home  :Laughing_on_floor:. Bear in mind that all these infos I had is purely from watching videos and reading up on how to spot a fake. It might not be fake, I might just be a bit paranoid, but I would rather be extra careful with it and take it slow..just like intercourse.

Offline Calibr

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
OH, actually wanted to ask this to the rolex seniors here; Do all models of rolexes (especially subs / GMT Master II) engraved / laser printed with the "rolexrolexrolex" on the edges of it? Checked out one of the no date subs models today and there werent any. I'm not sure if only certain models has it, or it was a fake. There was one store that I went that a sub model with a very flimsy steel strap, I instantly felt it was a red flag for me to get out from that place. (I suspect they've changed the steel strap with a cheaper one). There's also one more shop I went, a 1980-1990 ish sub date, very sturdy and solid and almost copped this one for around 14k. But I noticed how the rotating bezel was VERY loose; a red flag instantly popped on to my head, so I head out and left the mall and proceeded to weep on the corner of my room as I reached home  :Laughing_on_floor:. Bear in mind that all these infos I had is purely from watching videos and reading up on how to spot a fake. It might not be fake, I might just be a bit paranoid, but I would rather be extra careful with it and take it slow..just like intercourse.

Seems to me you are a very brave man! You might want to check out this website "minus4plus6" and the resource section of this forum, to find out more of the Rolex models, their history, evolution, types of bracelets, markings, care, etc.. The Watch Snob column in the Askmen blog is also quite informative for topics on watches generally. Being better informed will make you a happier owner of your first Rolex!

Offline nightwatchman

• Freshie
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2013, 05:31:06 AM »
Go on a weekday. Some times square shops are willing to follow you to the service centre to get a service quote

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2013, 06:22:56 AM »

Seems to me you are a very brave man! You might want to check out this website "minus4plus6" and the resource section of this forum, to find out more of the Rolex models, their history, evolution, types of bracelets, markings, care, etc.. The Watch Snob column in the Askmen blog is also quite informative for topics on watches generally. Being better informed will make you a happier owner of your first Rolex!

thanks for the website! I just got to know minus4plus6, very informative and really helpful.

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2013, 06:24:03 AM »
Go on a weekday. Some times square shops are willing to follow you to the service centre to get a service quote

Yeah I would If I don't have to go to the office on weekdays as well, but thank you! Maybe I'll go during my off days :D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2013, 06:43:14 AM »
Trying to buy a used Rolex can be a minefield for someone new to Rolex. I truly suggest you keep your cash in the bank and then take your time looking for that piece you want. Or buy from an AD. Or buy from a seller you can trust. Not a good idea to snag one at a good price and spend endless nights wondering if anything about it was fake.

Offline el118

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2013, 06:52:30 AM »
I know the pain for waiting to get ur beloved watch is taxing. Used rolex sub is not too difficult to get in preowned mkt, all the best in your search!

Offline MerzT

• Merchants
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »

Hold on your cash and find a good one with paper and good condition. Im sure its not hard to find a Sub as its quite a common watch in pre own shop nowadays. Sub date only has the ROLEXROLEX word from M series onwards meanwhile the 16710 will never have the ROLEXROLEX word in the inner bezel.

Yeah the bracelet might be filmsy for the earlier model and its not a defect though.Its less flimsy for the one without pin hole Sub date or better still a more solid for the ceramic 116610.

All the best mate

Offline dpkong

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2013, 10:01:48 AM »

Hold on your cash and find a good one with paper and good condition. Im sure its not hard to find a Sub as its quite a common watch in pre own shop nowadays. Sub date only has the ROLEXROLEX word from M series onwards meanwhile the 16710 will never have the ROLEXROLEX word in the inner bezel.

Yeah the bracelet might be filmsy for the earlier model and its not a defect though.Its less flimsy for the one without pin hole Sub date or better still a more solid for the ceramic 116610.

All the best mate

An expert has spoken  :Cheers:

Quite frankly, Sub Date is quite a common watch and unless a buyer really knows the seller, the ones in better condition always end up with preferred customers. I would suggest the buyer try to work with one of the regular sellers here. Hinit Hint!

Offline TheWatchMan

« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2013, 12:01:20 PM »
Sorry to hear that, but fret not, you still have many options to get a good rolex. I bought a new sub ceramic 114060 last month from an AD with decent discount. I am happy with my decision and the watch is great and keeping very good time. Hope you will find your dream rolex soon. Btw the gmt master II is very popular now and most AD selling at retail and stock is low.

Offline skyliner23

• Freshie
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2013, 01:27:16 PM »

Yeah I would If I don't have to go to the office on weekdays as well, but thank you! Maybe I'll go during my off days :D

Hi kopassus77, sad to heard about your encounter . I am from Singapore and new to this forum, but also a great fan of Rolex watches. I have owned quite a no of rolex , tudor and omega . As I also travels to KL quite regularly, in fact I noticed that the prices of high end watches is higher compared to spore. I would suggest u make a trip down spore ( very cheap if u fly air asia) come take a look at the watch market here which is more competitive . There are tons of shop here selling preowned complete set of rolex with very mint conditions. If u need help , just pm or email me . I be glad to help a young chap like u to fulfils his dreams.

u are a lucky chap which can get your rolex at 22. I got mine first rolex only at 36 and like what they say ...u never stop at one.

Lastly, words of advice is try out the 16610 and the 116610 , I have both and I can assure u that the feel and outlook of both watches is totally different once u wear it. If u prefer the iconic and classy design then go for 16610 or go for 116610 if u want a beefier and bulkier outlook. Try it and see which sings to u.

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »

All the best mate

Thank you, MerzT! A little bird suggested me to get it from you instead so you definitely hear from me when I'm ready to pull the trigger   ;D ;D

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2013, 05:25:04 PM »

Hi kopassus77, sad to heard about your encounter . I am from Singapore and new to this forum, but also a great fan of Rolex watches. I have owned quite a no of rolex , tudor and omega . As I also travels to KL quite regularly, in fact I noticed that the prices of high end watches is higher compared to spore. I would suggest u make a trip down spore ( very cheap if u fly air asia) come take a look at the watch market here which is more competitive . There are tons of shop here selling preowned complete set of rolex with very mint conditions. If u need help , just pm or email me . I be glad to help a young chap like u to fulfils his dreams.

u are a lucky chap which can get your rolex at 22. I got mine first rolex only at 36 and like what they say ...u never stop at one.

Lastly, words of advice is try out the 16610 and the 116610 , I have both and I can assure u that the feel and outlook of both watches is totally different once u wear it. If u prefer the iconic and classy design then go for 16610 or go for 116610 if u want a beefier and bulkier outlook. Try it and see which sings to u.

Very cool, Skyliner 23, thanks for the help. Will make a trip down to SG and checkout the market there. I've lived in SG for a couple of yrs during my degree studies so it would be awesome to come back after 2 yrs. I'll make sure to let you know when I'm coming down  :Cheers:

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2013, 05:26:40 PM »
I know the pain for waiting to get ur beloved watch is taxing. Used rolex sub is not too difficult to get in preowned mkt, all the best in your search!

thank you! Will do, I'm taking it slow right now and looking for the right one while saving up for more cash :p