Author Topic: Going to buy my first rolex this weekend!  (Read 68783 times)

Offline Kopassus77

• www.soundcloud.com/thshks
Re: Going to buy my first rolex this weekend!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 06:50:41 AM »
Loves the submariner too. Get it if you can afford it by all means. I m still saving for one

I'm expecting a wrist shot as well when you do mate!  ;)

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 06:53:18 AM »
After a year of saving up for it, I finally have enough. As it drew closer to the weekend, I'm having second thoughts of purchasing it since it's gonna take a lot of chunk of my wallet. I'm a fan of watches in general, rolex especially. A buddy of mine said that you should treat it as an investment. A quick google produced a lot of heated arguments of whether it's really an investment or not (In other forums). As someone who is fairly new regarding this matter, I could use some pointers  ;D. Oh, I'm planning to get a Rolex submariner 16610 year 2000. Kalau ada silap kata, maafkan lah daku  :Praying:

Congrats ! love your watch and make it worth every penny. You can't go wrong with the 16610, it's one of my fav. watch or must have in my collection. I will flip watches but not the 16610, it'll we be my keeper !

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 07:02:34 AM »
After a year of saving up for it, I finally have enough. As it drew closer to the weekend, I'm having second thoughts of purchasing it since it's gonna take a lot of chunk of my wallet. I'm a fan of watches in general, rolex especially. A buddy of mine said that you should treat it as an investment. A quick google produced a lot of heated arguments of whether it's really an investment or not (In other forums). As someone who is fairly new regarding this matter, I could use some pointers  ;D. Oh, I'm planning to get a Rolex submariner 16610 year 2000. Kalau ada silap kata, maafkan lah daku  :Praying:

Congrats ! love your watch and make it worth every penny. You can't go wrong with the 16610, it's one of my fav. watch or must have in my collection. I will flip watches but not the 16610, it'll we be my keeper !

wohoo! Awesome to know that, wrist shot by this weekend if all goes to plan!  ;D

Offline gucciposh

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 07:58:37 AM »
One is never enough (Just like women) (I'm joking obviously)....

Joke you say? We'll see young man, we'll see....

hahahahahahaha I just didn't want to offend any female members  :P

Hahaha...no worries cos 'female' members r very rare in this forum....for us (female) one man is enough, the rest is history  ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:01:37 AM by gucciposh »
Of course women don't work as hard as men cos they always get it right for the first time :-p

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 08:14:44 AM »
Just to chime in. If I were to get a Rolex, it would be the GMT Master IIc.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But I don't think I will be getting a Rolex anytime soon. Saving up for the ALS!

Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT
Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT
Omega Seamaster 300m
JLC Master Control Chronograph
JLC Master Compressor Diving Alarm Navy SEALs

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 08:28:15 AM »
One is never enough (Just like women) (I'm joking obviously)....

Joke you say? We'll see young man, we'll see....

hahahahahahaha I just didn't want to offend any female members  :P

Hahaha...no worries cos 'female' members r very rare in this forum....for us (female) one man is enough, the rest is history  ;D

amen to that! for you I meant hehe

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 08:30:34 AM »
Just to chime in. If I were to get a Rolex, it would be the GMT Master IIc.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But I don't think I will be getting a Rolex anytime soon. Saving up for the ALS!

ALS is sweet, I dig the simple look. My ultimate goal is to get GMT Master IIc though, that gold / green. *Drools*. Maybe someday when I win 4d...or become a politician hurhurhurhur

Offline gucciposh

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »
grats! agree not to think of it as an investment, think of it more like a reward.

Why'd you pick a 16610? Did you contemplate getting other watches? Or maybe other Rolex models?

I've always had this thing with submariners that I just love. I did, but this is the only thing I could afford at the moment without having to eat maggi everyday for the next 2 yrs :D.

Firstly, watches are never really an investment. If buying new from AD, expect to lose 30% or more as soon as you walk out the door. If buying a used one from a grey dealer, you still expect to lose at least 10-15% if you regret the purchase and want to return it. Ten years later might be a different story....

Secondly, buy what you really want, not what you can afford now. If you can't really afford what you want now, keep saving, provided your rate of savings is higher than the expected rate of price increases.

Many love the Submariner Date because everywhere you read, it's the iconic Rolex. But is it iconic to you or are you just getting swayed by public opinion? And yet there are other who think the real iconic Rolex is the Submariner (without the date). And if you start seeing everyone else wearing that black Submariner Date, are you going to feel upset as just being part of the herd?

Sorry if this post gives you second thoughts but if you're still determined after reading this far, maybe the Submariner Date is for you.

Thank you for the reply dpkong, I've actually been wanting for a submariner for a year now. I've always liked submariner models and have never swayed to other rolex models. Yep, I've always preferred with the date  ;D. I'm 22 this year so hopefully this purchase will be my first of many in the future. (God willing I live a long prosperous life)

U will purchase ur 1st Rollie at 22, still not bad! I believe once you start owning one, you can't never stop feasting on another one sooner than you think.... :Laughing_on_floor:
Of course women don't work as hard as men cos they always get it right for the first time :-p

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
grats! agree not to think of it as an investment, think of it more like a reward.

Why'd you pick a 16610? Did you contemplate getting other watches? Or maybe other Rolex models?

I've always had this thing with submariners that I just love. I did, but this is the only thing I could afford at the moment without having to eat maggi everyday for the next 2 yrs :D.

Firstly, watches are never really an investment. If buying new from AD, expect to lose 30% or more as soon as you walk out the door. If buying a used one from a grey dealer, you still expect to lose at least 10-15% if you regret the purchase and want to return it. Ten years later might be a different story....

Secondly, buy what you really want, not what you can afford now. If you can't really afford what you want now, keep saving, provided your rate of savings is higher than the expected rate of price increases.

Many love the Submariner Date because everywhere you read, it's the iconic Rolex. But is it iconic to you or are you just getting swayed by public opinion? And yet there are other who think the real iconic Rolex is the Submariner (without the date). And if you start seeing everyone else wearing that black Submariner Date, are you going to feel upset as just being part of the herd?

Sorry if this post gives you second thoughts but if you're still determined after reading this far, maybe the Submariner Date is for you.

Thank you for the reply dpkong, I've actually been wanting for a submariner for a year now. I've always liked submariner models and have never swayed to other rolex models. Yep, I've always preferred with the date  ;D. I'm 22 this year so hopefully this purchase will be my first of many in the future. (God willing I live a long prosperous life)

U will purchase ur 1st Rollie at 22, still not bad! I believe once you start owning one, you can't never stop feasting on another one sooner than you think.... :Laughing_on_floor:

I agree, heres to more!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 12:25:14 PM »
how much is the 2000 sub? might as well save up and get the newer sub

talking about accuracy... I have to be honest... my JDM seiko is almost as accurate as my sub and it is only 6% of the price of the sub

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
how much is the 2000 sub? might as well save up and get the newer sub

talking about accuracy... I have to be honest... my JDM seiko is almost as accurate as my sub and it is only 6% of the price of the sub

looking at about 13-16k right about now, I'll get the exact figures when this weekend  8)

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
at 22, buying a Rolex with your hard earned money is a milestone

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »

why thank you good sir, I still feel bad about going to spend that much though. Now if I'm a politician's son, that would be an entirely different story  :D :D :D :D. (I wish I was)

Offline el118

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »

why thank you good sir, I still feel bad about going to spend that much though. Now if I'm a politician's son, that would be an entirely different story  :D :D :D :D. (I wish I was)

Frankly speaking, I won't do that when I was 22. This is luxury hobby down the road. Nevertheless, Remember to work harder as we all r not minister's son... ;) we r on our own. :Cheers:

Offline Yoda

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »
Brother

Glad to hear that you have shortcut the journey. It takes me a while to reach there and have lots of non Rolex.

A fren of mine told me Once you get a Rolex you don't wear others.

Congrats
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »

Frankly speaking, I won't do that when I was 22. This is luxury hobby down the road. Nevertheless, Remember to work harder as we all r not minister's son... ;) we r on our own. :Cheers:

amen to that brother

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »
Brother

Glad to hear that you have shortcut the journey. It takes me a while to reach there and have lots of non Rolex.

Congrats

Thank you oh wise Yoda, appreciated much yes   :Praying: :Praying:

Offline sshark

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »
Seriously?? I wish that statement could be true "...Once you get a Rolex you don't wear others." :D

Brother

Congrats
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:23:51 PM by sshark »

Offline el118

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Seriously?? I wish this that statement is true "...Once you get a Rolex you don't wear others." :D

Brother

Congrats

It may stand to be true until one is exposed to this forum.... :Cheers:

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 11:03:55 PM »

...A friend of mine says that Rolex is a gateway to others...

I'd like to think I went through the back door...

Offline theseira

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2013, 12:01:36 AM »

...A friend of mine says that Rolex is a gateway to others...

I'd like to think I went through the back door...

I have to agree that it is a gateway to others! :thumbsup:

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2013, 07:19:50 AM »
Weekend is here already , manage to fish the catch ?

Offline nightwatchman

• Freshie
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
just do it. i did and don't regret it one bit.

Offline Kilofoxtrot

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »
In anticipation of your wrist shots!  :Jumping:

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »
A little update, I went to meet the seller that I was supposed to deal today at his shop in times square. Turns out, the watch that was posted as "with certificate and box" is not what as promised. Very disappointed. Looked around for nearby shops around the area but all of them are without proper papers.

I am very skeptical about buying without the papers and might need to chuck in more cash that I was originally planned for that extra legit-ness. Overall it was frustrating day for me and I felt I was sort of "conned" in a way. Plus, being a newbie my knowledge of fake rolexes is limited and I could only get info from the internet. One of the shops I went even said "Don't buy from that shop (the shop that i was initially planned to buy it from), because they change the parts and bla bla bla" so...I was confused even more lol.

Carrying all that cash around is not particularly my cup of tea either. So far, I've only covered times square area and have not ventured anywhere else. I'm might try this shop in Subang Jaya, ss14. If anyone could give me a recommended used watch store that could ease this pain (lol) feel free to pm me. PS. I went alone so I have no second opinion from someone. I might try again next week. I felt so bleghhh  :thumbsdown: