Author Topic: Going to buy my first rolex this weekend!  (Read 68781 times)

Offline Kopassus77

• www.soundcloud.com/thshks
Going to buy my first rolex this weekend!
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:35:14 PM »
After a year of saving up for it, I finally have enough. As it drew closer to the weekend, I'm having second thoughts of purchasing it since it's gonna take a lot of chunk of my wallet. I'm a fan of watches in general, rolex especially. A buddy of mine said that you should treat it as an investment. A quick google produced a lot of heated arguments of whether it's really an investment or not (In other forums). As someone who is fairly new regarding this matter, I could use some pointers  ;D. Oh, I'm planning to get a Rolex submariner 16610 year 2000. Kalau ada silap kata, maafkan lah daku  :Praying:

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Going to buy my first rolex this weekend!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »
Get it if you heart tell you so (with moolah in hand, of course).
And please don't treat it as an investment.
If you want investment, put you money in ASB.

p/s: oh ya, congrats on your (incoming) submariner date  :thumbsup: Waiting for the pictures  :Dancing_banana:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:44:44 PM by ck77 »

Offline grifterfmj

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
grats! agree not to think of it as an investment, think of it more like a reward.

Why'd you pick a 16610? Did you contemplate getting other watches? Or maybe other Rolex models?

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »

p/s: oh ya, congrats on your (incoming) submariner date  :thumbsup: Waiting for the pictures  :Dancing_banana:

LOL thanks! I will post once I get them.  :thumbsup:

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 01:06:53 PM »
grats! agree not to think of it as an investment, think of it more like a reward.

Why'd you pick a 16610? Did you contemplate getting other watches? Or maybe other Rolex models?

I've always had this thing with submariners that I just love. I did, but this is the only thing I could afford at the moment without having to eat maggi everyday for the next 2 yrs :D.

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »

I never knew that this forum would be so friendly, I guess I've been hanging around in 4chan too long  :laugh:

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 01:13:52 PM »
When I bought my first proper watch, I mandi bunga, pull nose hair, wear fresh underwear, and all the necessary works... just to be sure the experience is good and memorable! It's almost like a date, welcoming my second wife...

Congratulations and do remember to share some wrist shot!

Offline grifterfmj

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 01:16:26 PM »

I've always had this thing with submariners that I just love. I did, but this is the only thing I could afford at the moment without having to eat maggi everyday for the next 2 yrs :D.

I really like the 16610 too, nearly bought one earlier this year. Just curious because at the pre-owned price point there are so many other watches to consider.

-Brand new Tudor Pelagos
-Omega PO
-Sea Dweller perhaps?
-GMT Coke
-IWC Ingy
-Damasko DK10
-A GS perhaps?

Or.. save longer and get a 116610, DAMN! decisions decisions. Anyway glad you already made up your mind bro  :thumbsup: . I am still so undecided..

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
When I bought my first proper watch, I mandi bunga, pull nose hair, wear fresh underwear, and all the necessary works... just to be sure the experience is good and memorable! It's almost like a date, welcoming my second wife...

Congratulations and do remember to share some wrist shot!

Why thank you for the ideas good chap, I'll make sure I hire some dikir barat and have a kenduri afterwards. Tapi kenduri just serve maggi la for obvious financial reasons hurhurhur

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »

I really like the 16610 too, nearly bought one earlier this year. Just curious because at the pre-owned price point there are so many other watches to consider.

-Brand new Tudor Pelagos
-Omega PO
-Sea Dweller perhaps?
-GMT Coke
-IWC Ingy
-Damasko DK10
-A GS perhaps?

Or.. save longer and get a 116610, DAMN! decisions decisions. Anyway glad you already made up your mind bro  :thumbsup: . I am still so undecided..

Interestingly, I did consider Sea Dwellet and GMT coke but I was to swayed by the Submariner. The Submariner looked like she's about to ride me all night, with a hefty price tag of course, but all night riding sounds like a good deal.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »

Firstly, watches are never really an investment. If buying new from AD, expect to lose 30% or more as soon as you walk out the door. If buying a used one from a grey dealer, you still expect to lose at least 10-15% if you regret the purchase and want to return it. Ten years later might be a different story....

Secondly, buy what you really want, not what you can afford now. If you can't really afford what you want now, keep saving, provided your rate of savings is higher than the expected rate of price increases.

Many love the Submariner Date because everywhere you read, it's the iconic Rolex. But is it iconic to you or are you just getting swayed by public opinion? And yet there are other who think the real iconic Rolex is the Submariner (without the date). And if you start seeing everyone else wearing that black Submariner Date, are you going to feel upset as just being part of the herd?

Sorry if this post gives you second thoughts but if you're still determined after reading this far, maybe the Submariner Date is for you.

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 02:48:12 PM »

Firstly, watches are never really an investment. If buying new from AD, expect to lose 30% or more as soon as you walk out the door. If buying a used one from a grey dealer, you still expect to lose at least 10-15% if you regret the purchase and want to return it. Ten years later might be a different story....

Secondly, buy what you really want, not what you can afford now. If you can't really afford what you want now, keep saving, provided your rate of savings is higher than the expected rate of price increases.

Many love the Submariner Date because everywhere you read, it's the iconic Rolex. But is it iconic to you or are you just getting swayed by public opinion? And yet there are other who think the real iconic Rolex is the Submariner (without the date). And if you start seeing everyone else wearing that black Submariner Date, are you going to feel upset as just being part of the herd?

Sorry if this post gives you second thoughts but if you're still determined after reading this far, maybe the Submariner Date is for you.

Thank you for the reply dpkong, I've actually been wanting for a submariner for a year now. I've always liked submariner models and have never swayed to other rolex models. Yep, I've always preferred with the date  ;D. I'm 22 this year so hopefully this purchase will be my first of many in the future. (God willing I live a long prosperous life)

Offline el118

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 02:57:16 PM »
Normal watch is not an investment for sure. your choice would ensure minimum loss should you decide to sell it later. work harder to save more money after you join this forum, you will find your 1st luxury watch is never enough for you. ;)

Congrats! it sure feel marvelous after work hard and save hard for 1 year and finally able to get what you have longed for so long!

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »
Normal watch is not an investment for sure. your choice would ensure minimum loss should you decide to sell it later. work harder to save more money after you join this forum, you will find your 1st luxury watch is never enough for you. ;)

Congrats! it sure feel marvelous after work hard and save hard for 1 year and finally able to get what you have longed for so long!

hahaha yes, so I've heard as well. One is never enough (Just like women) (I'm joking obviously). I do feel a sense of satisfaction, but also a hard painful taking-out-the-money-from-the-atm-and-looking-at-your-balance kinda pain  :D :D

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
One is never enough (Just like women) (I'm joking obviously)....

Joke you say? We'll see young man, we'll see....

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 03:11:27 PM »

hahahahahahaha I just didn't want to offend any female members  :P

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 03:29:22 PM »

You already did!  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 03:56:37 PM »
Congrats.. Dnt forget to show us the wrist shot once u got it. U never go wrong with submariner date.

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 04:04:41 PM »

You already did!  :Laughing_on_floor:

:P :P :P :P

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 04:05:47 PM »
Congrats.. Dnt forget to show us the wrist shot once u got it. U never go wrong with submariner date.

thank you dennis!

Offline ti64

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »
Loves the submariner too. Get it if you can afford it by all means. I m still saving for one

Offline TheWatchMan

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »
Rolex Submariner is an excellent and accurate watch. Sub date is currently selling at retail, you can get some discount for no date version.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:25:48 AM by TheWatchMan »

Offline nasa

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »
When I bought my 1st Rolex, I went to sleep wearing it..No kidding, & it was the first time in my life i went to bed without taking off my watch. & it feels so good (well, apart from sleeping with the opp sex I guess!!  :Laughing_on_floor:),So I can understand your excitement!! As for me I never treat my watch as an investment, more like a treasure I guess. Fact is I love wearing them, cleaning them up with tooth brush, winding the manual watches everyday or just simply watching them spinning from my watch winder boxes. Simply lovin' it. So congrates in advance & wear it in good health!!  :thumbsup:

Btw, my first Rollie was Sub Date..wink2, ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:21:37 PM by nasa »

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 06:48:27 AM »
When I bought my 1st Rolex, I went to sleep wearing it..No kidding, & it was the first time in my life i went to bed without taking off my watch. & it feels so good (well, apart from sleeping with the opp sex I guess!!  :Laughing_on_floor:),So I can understand your excitement!! As for me I never treat my watch as an investment, more like a treasure I guess. Fact is I love wearing them, cleaning them up with tooth brush, winding the manual watches everyday or just simply watching them spinning from my watch winder boxes. Simply lovin' it. So congrates in advance & wear it in good health!!  :thumbsup:

Btw, my first Rollie was Sub Date..wink2, ;D

Sounds like an unforgetable experience, looking forward for it, thank you buddy  :Cheers:

Offline Kopassus77

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 06:50:02 AM »
Rolex Submariner is an excellent and accurate watch. Sub date is currently seller at retail, you can get some discount for no date version.

YES! Initially i was looking for the no date (since there is quite a price difference), but i saved up more for the date (no pun intended)  ;D