Author Topic: Rolex vs Grand Seiko vs Panerai......  (Read 69248 times)

Offline soonaikz

• Freshie
Re: Rolex vs Grand Seiko vs Panerai......
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 10:46:39 PM »
I think if not mistaken their cheapest price is about 40K and above..... correct me if I am wrong

No doubt I can afford it.... but my wife going to kill me.....

I cannot find any excuses to own it.... some more resale value I have no idea

I can go for Rolex simply I told my wife....  Rolex resale value is great.... 10 years down the road.... I can sell it for same price... If watch still in good working condition....

Offline dpkong

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 10:48:19 PM »
Buy her one first. That will solve your problem about buying yourself anything you want.

Offline soonaikz

• Freshie
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 10:51:26 PM »
seriously why would you care if anyone thinks your watch is fake?

your reputation and credentials not solid enough?

Becoz.... My day in and day out attire..... I don't wear smart outfit all the time.....; and I do not tell client I am boss of the small company to most of the client.... I do onsite hand on work as well sometime......;

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:32:33 AM by soonaikz »

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2013, 10:58:20 PM »
Li Ka Shing wears a Casio.... on the other hand Warren Buffet wears a DD. Both still lives in the same old house but yet money keeps on rolling in every second.

Watch is an accessory nothing more nothing less in this day and age. Just buy what you like.

I believe your credentials, reputation precedes what you drive or wear.

If resale value is so important. Don't buy a watch.. a gold bar makes more sense.

I have seen a lot of with ultra luxury watches and the question of authenticity is the last thing on my mind. To me the the taste/eccentricity/story behind the choice of a watch is more interesting and more of a conversation starting point.

You do not need a watch to enhance your reputation nor bring you wealth nor need it to project an image of success.

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline soonaikz

• Freshie
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
Buy her one first. That will solve your problem about buying yourself anything you want.

I just got her a 250K car under her name for day in and out and partly for my own used when needed......  :Blue: it doesn't work this way....

Mayb becoz both of us not born from rich family..... spending in luxury way is nope for her......

I consider myself lucky as least she allowed me to buy 25K watch.......  :Praying: Anyway I am happy to owned at least a Rolex.....

She don't even want it when I offer her to buy her a Rolex........

I consider myself lucky to married her...... I am more worried if my wife is a shoperholic... spend in luxury way....

Offline soonaikz

• Freshie
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 11:09:48 PM »
Li Ka Shing wears a Casio.... on the other hand Warren Buffet wears a DD. Both still lives in the same old house but yet money keeps on rolling in every second.

Watch is an accessory nothing more nothing less in this day and age. Just buy what you like.

I believe your credentials, reputation precedes what you drive or wear.

If resale value is so important. Don't buy a watch.. a gold bar makes more sense.

I have seen a lot of with ultra luxury watches and the question of authenticity is the last thing on my mind. To me the the taste/eccentricity/story behind the choice of a watch is more interesting and more of a conversation starting point.

You do not need a watch to enhance your reputation nor bring you wealth nor need it to project an image of success.

Your Quote Bring me to consider Grand Seiko Spring Drive....... Impressive Smooth Movement........... Let see how.....

Offline dpkong

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »

I just got her a 250K car under her name for day in and out and partly for my own used when needed......  :Blue: it doesn't work this way....

Mayb becoz both of us not born from rich family..... spending in luxury way is nope for her......

I consider myself lucky as least she allowed me to buy 25K watch.......  :Praying: Anyway I am happy to owned at least a Rolex.....

She don't even want it when I offer her to buy her a Rolex........

I consider myself lucky to married her...... I am more worried if my wife is a shoperholic... spend in luxury way....

Neither of you believe in spending on luxury, so what is a 250k car for a daily beater? Won't a 50k car have 4 wheels and get from A to B as well? And that 250k car will be worth 25k in 10 years but what will the 50k watch be worth then?

You contradict yourself.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 12:54:10 AM »
This post is getting interesting. As dp kong said, get her a watch before you do. I did that and i got mine.  ;D  it works most time.

Buying luxury goods is a cultivated habit, which you must nurture with patience. Start small and slowly build it up. Sooner or later, your spouse 'tiada rasa' when spending on luxury goods. When this happens!! you can go for the kill and get your grail. (I'm in the same situation, wifey is thrifty and I'm nearly through with this devious plan)

Of course provided you are willing to burn a few holes in your trousers and work the extra hours to reward both parties :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline soonaikz

• Freshie
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 01:21:26 AM »
The car partly for my own used.....

I doing a product sales engineering business......;

I would said a car is a basic need......Put you an example...if someday my principal come for a visit.......; A boss driving him a around with altis to visit my client is just..... ar.....; End of the day I might lose the agency....... as I not the only one hold the agency.....;

I believe this how the materialize world work..... ; Principal access how wealth & resources in your company..... it all about money and network games... where material helping to play the games well....

Of coz not to the extend buy a Ferari......... with I think doesnt fit in and it is different ball games for my own business; and I not yet fit into categories to own a ferari... eventho I can owned it but It going to tough time for me....

I think spending 25K for a watches is a entry level in higher ball games....;

yes true enough some self-made millionaire out there dont own luxury watch or car.......; Like Fish Seller in the Market.....

I have a friend doing software house (Web Design) and event marketing on her own small company..... driving a SLK (Small Little Kancil)......; She is good with her capability but been in difficult time for year to year...; I told her to upgrade herself to better outlook like car.... Indeed she get herself a bigger car but not luxury type it only more like a businesswomen car..... that change her life..... a bigger PO coming in......... one after another....

Self confidence is important, for me what more important is client confident level to you.......; Which material good do play part of the games.... in what I called material confident level in both way.....

We see a lot of direct selling agent do use this way (luxury) to convince client to join member.......;

Sometime skill may not good enough to bring in sales.... that is why most of the world scientist not a rich person....

For me is just about nature of business and game we play......; which I think my nature of business require at least something and i don't play game that i cannot afford now.... like buying a 3 million banglow house..... I consider myself - a calculate risk type of person.........

Not offence - Just sharing...........  :Cheers:

Offline soonaikz

• Freshie
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 01:24:05 AM »

Buying luxury goods is a cultivated habit.................;

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

I truly agree..... That why I dont feed her fulll  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 01:33:03 AM »
Being just a plebeian but I have seen my fair share of the rich and the ultra rich also the new and old money.

Just get a blinged Daytona/YM2 etc

Offline Yoda

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 06:03:52 AM »
Have you encountered a robbery?

When you wear a GS the robber will ask you to keep it, next time I'll come back for Rolex.

;D

Another plus point for GS

:Laughing_on_floor:

"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline ivanswk

• Res ipsa loquitur :P
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 07:53:25 AM »
seriously i am a seiko fan, but i think u need a rolex  ;D

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »
This thread made for good reading on a Monday morning. I find TS' replies somewhat contradictory. If PAM was never in the list to begin with, then I'm not sure why it was included in the subject description.

In any case, I know many wealthy businessmen who don't really give a flying f*** about how they look. I've seen some who over-do their outlook, and some that take the super stealth route. There is no right or wrong, just what they like. One person in particular went from very humble beginnings, to owning some 17 companies in 8 years, along with a slew of supercars. But he's not in to watches... and if he has to wear one, will strap on his trusty Casio.

Offline ivanswk

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »
Many may not agree with me, but I believe car & watches.... is a tools to bring your business to next level........

is not just car and watches, it is the whole package.
Bespoke clothing, well made shoe, presentable look and well a hot model GF  :Cheers:
is a lifetstyle  :Dancing_banana:

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »
Bespoke clothing, well made shoe, presentable look and well a hot model GF  :Cheers:

This one really poison.  :Dancing_banana: :Dancing_banana: :Dancing_banana:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 09:05:06 AM »
Seems like a really interesting topic.
I thought it was a three pronged fight between watches and now to portraying a certain image and taking business into the "next" level.

My opinion is, when you drive a nice car to meet a client for a business deal, chances are your client would not even see it, to the parking lot it goes.
Even if they see it, I doubt it will change any perspective if the deal you're bringing to the table sucks big time right?
"Eh, the deal sucks, but seeing he's driving a BMW, maybe I will give him a try?" fat chance.

Believe it or not, it doesn't matter what watch you're wearing, reality is 98% of the general public don't care or don't know what watch you're wearing... except if the particular person you're meeting happens to be a WIS... which is rare in itself.
Even if he is, will he go "gosh, he is wearing a Rolex, I will definitely close this deal with him"

In my opinion, personal grooming trumps expensive stuff.
Classy ppl make cheap clothes look good.
Cheap ppl make expensive stuff look shabby.
Try too hard and it shows.

Professional attitude towards business dealings is all one needs.
Bring your best to the table, not wear your best to the table.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 09:14:51 AM »
hanz, you've summed that up quite well. I truly did not see the point in this thread; based on my calculations, I am 98% sure TS will have gone and bought a Rolex. After all, a Rollie would be best suited when he comes out from his 250k Merc (oh wait, was it Triton?) to impress his clients.

Sorry if I was a bit blunt....................... just saying it.............. like it is.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 09:16:38 AM »
Find and buy and wear what you like.  Panerai, Rolex, AP, GS.....within these makers are specific models at both ends of the spectrum...either having a resale- price that sank like a torpedoed sub or one that is profitable..  Impossible to list down and come up with an ultimate ranking of what is the best when it comes to resale value.    Some seniors here have given some good models for you to study, so take a close look...

You bought the 250k car for a reason....and AFAIK, nothing beats the resale value of a car when it comes to losses...So i dont see the need to lose sleep if you saw your Rolex having a resale price of RM2-3 k lower than when you first bought it few years ago...

First impression is important, but lasting impression is even more important. If i see you parking a Benz in the parking lot, I will hope you are a symbol of hardwork, honesty and dedication instead of being a smooth talker, flash in a pan kind of businessman. 
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 09:16:47 AM »
Kennot!!!!!!

Bespoke and well made shoes siapa tau? Not power enough.

It's nothing without big arse labels and logos. So labels on sleeves of the Zegnas and Hugos cannot be removed and shoes must only be Ferragamo. Like dat only ppl would know, and only like dat it's worth your money spent.

Many may not agree with me, but I believe car & watches.... is a tools to bring your business to next level........

Offline ivanswk

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »
wear like Hanibbal Chau and u get notice :Cheers:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »
Yeah! the poster boy of success!!

wear like Hanibbal Chau and u get notice :Cheers:

Offline soonaikz

• Freshie
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »
Good Morning.................

It a good Monday.......  :thumbsup: :Dancing_banana:

Offline ivanswk

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 09:41:11 AM »
seriously we have identify u need a rolex, we need to know which model will suit u

i believe YM 2 two tone is a good match  :Cheers:
skip the daytona, u want to portray a lifestyle
then get a yacht with it, when your biz partner come ,  bring him on the yatch and tour around malaysia,
:Cheers:

unless u in into u skydweller u need helicopter then:Dancing_banana:

either way it impress  :thumbsup:

Offline sshark

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »
@soonaikz

I think I found ur hesitation. you wanted to buy a watch for urself and to save urself some money, you want to buy a watch that help to further ur biz. unfortunately for you, the brands of watches you like and the those that help ur biz grow are orthogonal with each other.