Author Topic: OMEGA Seamaster 300m or Tudor Black Bay?  (Read 14956 times)

Offline ambrose0422

• Freshie
OMEGA Seamaster 300m or Tudor Black Bay?
« on: January 06, 2021, 09:53:34 PM »
I owned 3 Stainless Steel watches, 3 G Shock & 1 Nylon Strap watches.
The next target would preferred leather/rubber strap watches.
Please give some advice, thank you

Offline pleasuresaurus

Re: OMEGA Seamaster 300m or Tudor Black Bay?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:44:23 AM »
Budget wise they shouldn't be too far apart, the baseline Seamaster would cost a bit more than the Tudor (not sure if u mean BB or BB 58) n I think if u r considering between the 2, it isn't an issue. I guess whats left is aesthetics and specs la. Start by going to AD n try them out. Which piece in particular really appeals to u, look at specs, look at possible maintenance cost n interval, power reserve etc. The seamaster has a clear case back, which displays its nicely finished 8800 cal movement which is a plus point vs the BB. Go to AD and try bro, thats ur best bet. u might find one to sit more comfortably than the other, or a bit thicker than the other, or some other factor that would ultimately clinch the deal. I would advise for these level of watches, get the ss bracelet option la better, then u can opt for the strap if u want. Makes it more sellable in the future when u decide to free up ur watchbox for another piece.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 08:02:13 AM »
Between the two, I like the Black Bay more for its aesthetics and fit.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline faizall

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 08:38:55 AM »
I'm currently eyeing either the Seamaster300 or Tudor pelagos. Almost the same spec..for now Pelagos is winning with the matte colour and titanium. Not yet buy..so still have time to cont evaluating. Haha.

Offline ambrose0422

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 09:47:27 PM »
Budget wise they shouldn't be too far apart, the baseline Seamaster would cost a bit more than the Tudor (not sure if u mean BB or BB 58) n I think if u r considering between the 2, it isn't an issue. I guess whats left is aesthetics and specs la. Start by going to AD n try them out. Which piece in particular really appeals to u, look at specs, look at possible maintenance cost n interval, power reserve etc. The seamaster has a clear case back, which displays its nicely finished 8800 cal movement which is a plus point vs the BB. Go to AD and try bro, thats ur best bet. u might find one to sit more comfortably than the other, or a bit thicker than the other, or some other factor that would ultimately clinch the deal. I would advise for these level of watches, get the ss bracelet option la better, then u can opt for the strap if u want. Makes it more sellable in the future when u decide to free up ur watchbox for another piece.

Thanks, you got the right analysis of the situation. Your advice are favorable to me, but still. Should i consider which hold the best resell value? or just buy the one i like the most?

Offline ambrose0422

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 09:51:08 PM »
Between the two, I like the Black Bay more for its aesthetics and fit.

I cant disagree with your statement, i like blak bay too. But somewhat Tudor already been rated as “shadow of rolex”. I just dont like how they call it.

When it comes to Omega, at least its a competitor of Rolex, and the specs vise, i just think Omega had more R&D at it.

Offline ambrose0422

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 09:55:28 PM »
I'm currently eyeing either the Seamaster300 or Tudor pelagos. Almost the same spec..for now Pelagos is winning with the matte colour and titanium. Not yet buy..so still have time to cont evaluating. Haha.

We are almost comparing the same watch, yea Pelagos has titanium case, but do we really need it to be that light weight? Another considerations to me, lack of ceramic bezels. Unless you wanted it to be matte????

Omega has beautiful ceramics dial and ceramic bezels, but i just dont like the stainless stell bracelet.
What a dilemma to me. By the way, what is the Pelagos retail price?

Offline faizall

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 07:38:18 AM »

We are almost comparing the same watch, yea Pelagos has titanium case, but do we really need it to be that light weight? Another considerations to me, lack of ceramic bezels. Unless you wanted it to be matte????

Omega has beautiful ceramics dial and ceramic bezels, but i just dont like the stainless stell bracelet.
What a dilemma to me. By the way, what is the Pelagos retail price?
Exactly, the matte in pelagos is very captivating. The retail price for pelagos is around rm14k on bracelet. The Seamaster heritage line is quit intrigue too. So for now I’m not yet make any decision. PKP first. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 10:17:41 AM »

Thanks, you got the right analysis of the situation. Your advice are favorable to me, but still. Should i consider which hold the best resell value? or just buy the one i like the most?

If you are always flipping watches, then value first unless money is no object.

Offline ambrose0422

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 12:40:55 PM »

Treat it as a collection, hence i think i could keep it for a lifetime most probably. You made my mind clearer than before, thanks.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 12:47:04 PM »

Treat it as a collection, hence i think i could keep it for a lifetime most probably. You made my mind clearer than before, thanks.

My method is always simple...

Try the different watches on at a shop or AD but tell the salesperson that you're not going to buy today. Take a wrist shot.

Go back and browse for information or reviews and read owner's comments.

Wait a few weeks and see which watch you're always thinking of and which wrist shot you're always looking at then that's the one that sings to you.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 01:16:49 PM »
Very sound advice  :thumbsup: nothing beats being able to try the stuff on the wrist and be able to assess it physically and objectively. Also, the "inquire then walk away" routine is also kinda useful especially when you happen to be a looking at less popular brands and models that moves slowly at the AD. If you happen to drop them ur contact and ask for best price mana tau, they migh get back to u with a better offer.

Offline ambrose0422

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 01:36:30 PM »

My method is always simple...

Try the different watches on at a shop or AD but tell the salesperson that you're not going to buy today. Take a wrist shot.

Go back and browse for information or reviews and read owner's comments.

Wait a few weeks and see which watch you're always thinking of and which wrist shot you're always looking at then that's the one that sings to you.

Sounds like thats the way  :)
Thank you~~
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:38:24 PM by ambrose0422 »

Offline ambrose0422

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 01:38:50 PM »
Very sound advice  :thumbsup: nothing beats being able to try the stuff on the wrist and be able to assess it physically and objectively. Also, the "inquire then walk away" routine is also kinda useful especially when you happen to be a looking at less popular brands and models that moves slowly at the AD. If you happen to drop them ur contact and ask for best price mana tau, they migh get back to u with a better offer.

Another knowledge added in mind ;)

Offline dspayre616

• dspayrelovewatch
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 03:59:25 PM »

Between Omega and Tudor is indeed a hard choice, but it goes back to what are you looking for in a watch?
A. Design? For me, and again, its my own opinion but I don't really fancy the Omega Seamaster design as the helium escape value looks like another crown, versus the Tudor. Kinda breaks the symmetry with a additional crown jutting out.
B. Resell value? Generally, Omega suffers a huge cut when compared to Tudor?
C. Power reserve? I would choose Tudor as it offers 72Hours when compared to Omega 55 Hours. Longer power reserve is helpful for an automatic watch
D. Brand? Totally subjective as some prefer Omega and some prefer Tudor (poor man Rolex)
E. Warranty? I think they are the same now? As both Omega and Tudor offers 5 year
F. Materials used? I think Omega uses more fancy materials when comparing to Tudor. Tudor only has titanium in the Pelagos but the Omega has Sedna gold

Offline ambrose0422

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 02:46:09 PM »

Between Omega and Tudor is indeed a hard choice, but it goes back to what are you looking for in a watch?
A. Design? For me, and again, its my own opinion but I don't really fancy the Omega Seamaster design as the helium escape value looks like another crown, versus the Tudor. Kinda breaks the symmetry with a additional crown jutting out.
C. Power reserve? I would choose Tudor as it offers 72Hours when compared to Omega 55 Hours. Longer power reserve is helpful for an automatic watch
D. Brand? Totally subjective as some prefer Omega and some prefer Tudor (poor man Rolex)
E. Warranty? I think they are the same now? As both Omega and Tudor offers 5 year
F. Materials used? I think Omega uses more fancy materials when comparing to Tudor. Tudor only has titanium in the Pelagos but the Omega has Sedna gold

I appreciated for your meticulous analysis, i actually had something in my mind, i just want to get more opinion from watch collectors. i found myself lack of the love to Pelagos, despite its made of titanium. Instead i was consider about Black Bay 36/41mm

And the Seamaster 300m, i like the design even its with the escape valve. The black dial had a busy face, might be my own problem because i cant read the time well every single time i look at it.

By the way, i like the IWC Top Gun you wrote in your blog. :)

Offline dpkong

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 10:00:23 PM »

I appreciated for your meticulous analysis, i actually had something in my mind, i just want to get more opinion from watch collectors. i found myself lack of the love to Pelagos, despite its made of titanium. Instead i was consider about Black Bay 36/41mm

And the Seamaster 300m, i like the design even its with the escape valve. The black dial had a busy face, might be my own problem because i cant read the time well every single time i look at it.

I've always liked the Pelagos with the blue dial. Nice feel to it, large but not heavy and the spring loaded clasp is probably more practical than the Submariner's Glidelock system. Good lume on it too. Just can't accept the snowflake hands and don't know why. Someday will come across a pre-owned one with an acceptable price to try to grow some love.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 04:57:28 PM »
Yeah that snow flake design can be really polarizing la kan? Its almost like one of those things that has no middle ground - either like it or not.

Offline dspayre616

• dspayrelovewatch
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 06:22:45 PM »

Thanks for the kind words. Its my first blog ever, so thanks! There will be a part 2 of the IWC! Coming soon.. :) And also I will be doing a review on the tudor pelagos.

Offline faizall

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2021, 06:37:13 PM »

Thanks for the kind words. Its my first blog ever, so thanks! There will be a part 2 of the IWC! Coming soon.. :) And also I will be doing a review on the tudor pelagos.
That’s nice! I’m really rooting for this Pelagos. Looking forward for your entry.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 06:57:17 PM »
Yeah that snow flake design can be really polarizing la kan? Its almost like one of those things that has no middle ground - either like it or not.

kan??

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 07:01:20 AM »
BB looks more elegant compared to seamaster 300.. it has got more vintage looks..

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2021, 07:59:04 AM »
After checking out Bimmerman's railmaster, I'm pretty much sold on it being the vintage/modern go-to Omega for me. I think even my bb58 doesn't stand up to it in the vintage look department. But elegance wise, yeah, the bb58 definitely.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 10:25:35 PM »
Not everything that people like will suit your wrist. I had the impression that the BB58 blue would be great on my wrist too, but in reality, its the SMP300 white that gets wrist time. While the BB58 felt nice at first, I found out that it just wears too small on my wrist. Aesthetically not pleasing for me.

In this price range, perhaps you should factor out "resale value" -- just buy the watch that calls out to you most. It's likely going to be the one you wear most often.

Offline dspayre616

• dspayrelovewatch
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 04:02:42 PM »

That’s nice! I’m really rooting for this Pelagos. Looking forward for your entry.

Just posted my review on the Tudor Pelagos but its the LHD version. :P