Author Topic: Rolex Prices Tanking  (Read 61411 times)

Offline dpkong

Re: Rolex Prices Tanking
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2022, 09:24:26 AM »

so there have been market corrections lately... not the crash everyone is hoping for but will it continue to go down from here on or do you think it will rise again?

countries are opening up, people are beginning to travel and finding other things to spend money on... so less buyers at grey dealers could bring the premiums down?

and lately from forums it looks like ROLEX is delivering more watches, and more buyers will be getting their watches at AD and flippers might be finding it less easier to pass it on to grey dealers for the premiums they thought they could get?

all fingers crossed to get more calls from AD...

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #351 on: May 09, 2022, 10:45:33 AM »
The way things are going its likely more of a correction than a crash kan? China's under lockdown due to its 0 tolerance policy, hence stocka suddenly seem to be plentiful as they are being diverted elsewhere. But there are other economic factors looming in the distance that are making for an interesting observation. We know inflation is on the rise, fuel and commodity prices r going up because of the war, along with supply n logistic bottlenecks of raw or unfinished materials.

Once things settle down and China opens back up again, there would be a flood of back orders being released into the market, pent up from the ongoing lockdown. Its going to be interesting to watch the way the wind blows as all these things happen, how ateady the current hands are at holding the course or whether they kan cheong n drop their stocks. Then again, if the smaller fish drop their stocks, bigger fish with more holding power would pick it up instead. Makes for interesting punting kan? :laugh:

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #352 on: May 09, 2022, 10:52:47 AM »
Rolex here follows closely to HK and PRC market…

Once Shanghai is open-up, there’ll crazy revenge spendings and the race is on again

Offline dpkong

« Reply #353 on: May 09, 2022, 11:01:22 AM »
Lockdowns these days are not like the lockdown of 2 years ago.. I believe essential services and logistics continue..

As for stock being diverted, it is doubtful as ADs at locations do not need in-store sales to survive. Payments can be made online and watches kept in a safe for later collection. The only people diverting stock are flippers and grey market "stockists".

I believe the unpredictable future market is the main worry for the watch "investors" who are the majority of buyers on the grey markets who may decide it is ultimately more prudent to invest in gold instead.

And as with any investment market, anytime someone drops an item, there is always someone who will pick it up, so long as the value has not crashed. The question is who wants to be the one holding the ball when the music stops.

It's nice to see the value of the personal collection go up but ultimately there are pieces I would still like to acquire and I'm hoping to see more become available at the AD...

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #354 on: May 09, 2022, 12:07:58 PM »
It's nice to see the value of the personal collection go up but ultimately there are pieces I would still like to acquire and I'm hoping to see more become available at the AD...

Kan? Kasi chance la sikit, true or not? Ni asyik2 display only, lama2 jadi tunjuk perasaan pulak  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #355 on: May 09, 2022, 12:22:20 PM »
Lockdowns these days are not like the lockdown of 2 years ago.. I believe essential services and logistics continue..

As for stock being diverted, it is doubtful as ADs at locations do not need in-store sales to survive. Payments can be made online and watches kept in a safe for later collection. The only people diverting stock are flippers and grey market "stockists".

I believe the unpredictable future market is the main worry for the watch "investors" who are the majority of buyers on the grey markets who may decide it is ultimately more prudent to invest in gold instead.

And as with any investment market, anytime someone drops an item, there is always someone who will pick it up, so long as the value has not crashed. The question is who wants to be the one holding the ball when the music stops.

I agree with you brother, I hope all enthusiast watch can get at retail price especially at AD. .

I don't think on luxury watch industry is crashing, it's just a correction. I don't believe that Rolex and 3 holy grail especially PP/AP/VC will below price of retail (MRSP) for "grey market". Un less any recession or doom in the world. It just back to square when everything was normal. Myb 20% till 60% of retail price depends on model. If more that double or triple of retail price that is inflation and really not make sense at all. Demand and supply will take over, Inflation hits then add with current situation.

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk

Offline W3ll

« Reply #356 on: May 10, 2022, 05:46:15 AM »

Kan? Kasi chance la sikit, true or not? Ni asyik2 display only, lama2 jadi tunjuk perasaan pulak  :Laughing_on_floor:

Chances are coming soon. AD will have more stocks incoming and the grey and all the so call investors are trying to liquidate their pieces

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #357 on: May 10, 2022, 09:12:53 AM »
Unless one hs got long history with the AD…prior to that..

The days r already long gone for anyone walk into AD to acquire a piece

We all know Rolex , marketing maestro will ensure the demands are never met forever….for desirabilities..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #358 on: May 10, 2022, 09:26:13 AM »
when buyers realise that it's not going to be so easy to flip a piece for profit immediately, they won't be so eager to buy anymore

and then the ones who really want it will get it.

Offline swleong

« Reply #359 on: May 10, 2022, 02:19:45 PM »
Some models prices indeed soften a bit, but some went outright crazy.

Saw a Tiffany Blue OP 41 selling for more than RM200k??!!!!

May God save us from this madness... :Praying:

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #360 on: May 10, 2022, 05:29:44 PM »
Some models prices indeed soften a bit, but some went outright crazy.

Saw a Tiffany Blue OP 41 selling for more than RM200k??!!!!

May God save us from this madness... :Praying:

wait, what? wah, epic weiii!  :o who's paying 10x for this thing?!

Offline dpkong

« Reply #361 on: May 10, 2022, 06:34:19 PM »
because it's discontinued so the hype is different..

whether anyone pays that price is another story though but I guess if money came easily then so shall spending it...

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #362 on: May 11, 2022, 09:19:03 AM »
If i'm not mistaken at Christie's auction right? GBP 55,000.00 or USD 69,000.00 for this Tiffany Blue thing without any complication movement, just discontinued and colouring thing  :).

I thinks probably one of big guns bought it, maybe "grey market" like a Watch Box or Watch Finder to help the hype and inflate the market and common practice to manipulate the market through auction houses?

Offline swleong

« Reply #363 on: May 11, 2022, 10:51:03 AM »
If i'm not mistaken at Christie's auction right? GBP 55,000.00 or USD 69,000.00 for this Tiffany Blue thing without any complication movement, just discontinued and colouring thing  :).

I thinks probably one of big guns bought it, maybe "grey market" like a Watch Box or Watch Finder to help the hype and inflate the market and common practice to manipulate the market through auction houses?

Really? I didn't know about the Christie's action thing actually.

But the more than RM200k Tiffany blue OP 41 can be found right here at home, Subang Jaya  ;D

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #364 on: May 11, 2022, 11:16:32 AM »

But the more than RM200k Tiffany blue OP 41 can be found right here at home, Subang Jaya  ;D

Inflate the market, hyping all over the world and trying to manipulate the market. I know which one as your mention at Subang Jaya  ;D, I'm supporter of capitalism, but i hope economic theory demand and supply will solve this problem. Will be
 a correction and when thing make sense.  :D   

https://www.christies.com/en/auction/rare-watches-featuring-the-kairos-collection-part-i-29567/

Offline dpkong

« Reply #365 on: May 11, 2022, 12:19:42 PM »

Inflate the market, hyping all over the world and trying to manipulate the market. I know which one as your mention at Subang Jaya  ;D, I'm supporter of capitalism, but i hope economic theory demand and supply will solve this problem. Will be
 a correction and when thing make sense.  :D   

https://www.christies.com/en/auction/rare-watches-featuring-the-kairos-collection-part-i-29567/

It will correct but discontinued pieces will not drop to last retail price..

If you're willing to pay 9x the original retail price then you either really love it or money came way too easily...

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #366 on: May 11, 2022, 12:31:20 PM »
The "Tiffany" OP that goes for RM200k is IMO truly unsustainable. I can understand the 116500 Daytona and 126710BLRO/BLNR GMT Master II holding their values at relatively stable secondary prices due to their iconic design and history; the "Tiffany" OP on the other hand, although discontinued, does not truly hold any intrinsic value other than it being a Tiffany-like turquoise dialed simple Oyster Perpetual.

As for the market correction, I'm glad to see it finally happening. No disrespect to the ones that want to "invest" in Rolex watches, but it's about time that these people take a hit and start off loading their watches (most likely applied with protective films/stickers too) so the ones that really want to wear the watches can finally get them at reasonable prices.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #367 on: May 11, 2022, 12:55:13 PM »
Well, one good thing at least, its not gonna drop like Terra Luna did last night. I hope :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #368 on: May 11, 2022, 01:06:33 PM »
Well, one good thing at least, its not gonna drop like Terra Luna did last night. I hope :Laughing_on_floor:

the only thing crypto is good for is moving money across borders without tax and payments for arms deal and drugs and anything else you don't want people to know about...

2 years of lockdowns means people with money to spend have nowhere to go and places to spend so they throw it at things like crypto, gold and watches..

now with COVID permanently changing the world economic landscape and Russia/China military/economic actions becoming unknown, people are getting worried..

when shakers and movers worry, the market tumbles and Joe Wannabe Investor sweats bricks... better offload those solid gold Daytonas and Yachtmasters you paid 3x retail for before you lose your pants...

watches were made for people to buy, wear and enjoy and I hope soon we can start doing that again...

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #369 on: May 11, 2022, 01:39:14 PM »

the only thing crypto is good for is moving money across borders without tax and payments for arms deal and drugs and anything else you don't want people to know about...

2 years of lockdowns means people with money to spend have nowhere to go and places to spend so they throw it at things like crypto, gold and watches..

now with COVID permanently changing the world economic landscape and Russia/China military/economic actions becoming unknown, people are getting worried..

when shakers and movers worry, the market tumbles and Joe Wannabe Investor sweats bricks... better offload those solid gold Daytonas and Yachtmasters you paid 3x retail for before you lose your pants...

watches were made for people to buy, wear and enjoy and I hope soon we can start doing that again...

Monetary Policy Statement
Embargo : Not for publication or broadcast before 1500 on Wednesday, 11 May 2022
11 May 2022
At its meeting today, the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of Bank Negara Malaysia decided to increase the Overnight Policy Rate (OPR) by 25 basis points to 2.00 percent. The ceiling and floor rates of the corridor of the OPR are correspondingly increased to 2.25 percent and 1.75 percent, respectively.

The sustained reopening of the global economy and the improvement in labour market conditions continue to support the recovery of economic activity. These have partly cushioned the impact of the military conflict in Ukraine and the strict containment measures in China. Inflationary pressures have increased sharply due to a rise in commodity prices, strained supply chains and strong demand conditions, particularly in the US. Consequently, several central banks are expected to adjust their monetary policy settings at a faster pace to reduce inflationary pressures. The global growth outlook will continue to be affected by the developments surrounding the conflict in Ukraine, COVID-19, global supply chain conditions, commodity price shocks, and financial market volatility.

For the Malaysian economy, latest indicators show that growth is on a firmer footing, driven by strengthening domestic demand amid sustained export growth. The labour market is further lifted by a lower unemployment rate, higher labour participation and better income prospects. The transition to endemicity on 1 April 2022 would strengthen economic activity, in line with further easing of restrictions and the reopening of international borders. Investment activity and prospects have also improved, underpinned by the realisation of multi-year projects and positive growth outlook. However, risks to growth remain, which include a weaker-than-expected global growth, further escalation of geopolitical conflicts, worsening supply chain disruptions, and adverse developments surrounding COVID-19.

Headline inflation is projected to average between 2.2% - 3.2% in 2022. Given the improvement in economic activity amid lingering cost pressures, underlying inflation, as measured by core inflation, is expected to trend higher to average between 2.0% - 3.0% in 2022. Nevertheless, upward pressure on prices would be partly contained by existing price controls and the continued spare capacity in the economy. The inflation outlook continues to be subject to global commodity price developments, arising mainly from the ongoing military conflict in Ukraine and prolonged supply-related disruptions, as well as domestic policy measures on administered prices.

Over the course of the COVID-19 crisis, the OPR was reduced by a cumulative 125 basis points to a historic low of 1.75% to provide support to the economy. The unprecedented conditions that necessitated such actions have since abated. With the domestic growth on a firmer footing, the MPC decided to begin reducing the degree of monetary accommodation. This will be done in a measured and gradual manner, ensuring that monetary policy remains accommodative to support a sustainable economic growth in an environment of price stability.

Bank Negara Malaysia
11 May 2022

©? Bank Negara Malaysia, 2022. All rights reserved.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #370 on: May 11, 2022, 01:51:27 PM »
eh, u dapat ni b4 or after embargo?  ;D

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #371 on: May 11, 2022, 02:25:11 PM »
eh, u dapat ni b4 or after embargo?  ;D

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline jf98

« Reply #372 on: May 13, 2022, 06:08:53 PM »

from Wing Wah right?  ;D

Offline DonFlamingo

• Freshie
« Reply #373 on: June 04, 2022, 06:05:05 PM »
200k for a tiffany blue OP?  :o

I mean i love Rollies, but IMHO their not the only cool kid in town (especially with THAT kinda price).

Offline DaytonaS

« Reply #374 on: August 18, 2022, 06:40:35 PM »
Now the Rolex prices are really tumbling down. Brand new Panda was as high as RM250k but now it’s about 150-160k. The same applies to Hulk, Pepsi, etc. will it go lower?