Author Topic: Omega Speedmaster X-33 Skywalker  (Read 10008 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Omega Speedmaster X-33 Skywalker
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:57:39 PM »
I was always intrigued by the popularity of the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch.
But that Speedmaster design, look and overall aesthetics did not really appeal to me.
Yes it's iconic.
Yes it's one of the watches that's in serial production for the longest time.
Yes it's still the only watch being certified by NASA for all Space Flight Missions.
But the "feel" just wasn't there for me.

The watch that I am featuring now is a same cup of tea served in a different flavour.

This is the Omega Speedmaster Professional X-33 Skywalker.

Whereas the Original Speedmaster Moonwatch comes in stainless steel, the X-33 is in grade 2 titanium.

Moonwatch powered by a mechanical manual chronograph movement and the X-33 is on an analog digital multifunction thermocompensated quartz module.

The moonwatch being certified by NASA, the X-33 is certified by ESA (European Space Agency)

One of the lessons I have learned in my days of watch collecting is always try the watch before you buy.
When this watch was announced, one little detail in the spec sheet kept me away.
Case Size - 45mm
That one little detail makes it absent in my "to get" list.
Until a chance meeting with the watch in the Penang Omega Boutique.
They have the Limited Edition Solar Impulse version on display which is the same watch but comes in a nato strap and more funky colour combo.
First thing that strikes me is this watch definitely does not feel like a 45mm wide watch.
But that is the only short encounter I have with the watch until I am back home.
That short encounter was enough for me as I just can't seem to get it off my mind for weeks (one of the signs that I really want the watch)

So I did what I have to do.
Called up my local AD to inquire about the stock availability and price.
I have decided that I want the regular version of the X-33 that comes with a titanium bracelet.
They unfortunately did not have one in stock locally but managed to source one piece from another branch and agreed to bring it in for me to view.
Worried that I might not buy the watch upon viewing due to unforeseen circumstances, I mentioned to my AD that the chances are 50/50 of me purchasing it.
They were ok and cool about it.
Just for the record, normally they would need a confirm sale along with a deposit before transferring any watches in.
So their willingness to do this for me is one of the reasons for my continued patronage.
But still no red wine or even a bottle of water waiting for me when they see me approaching... but ahhhh... what the hell la...

Once the watch arrived and I got the call, I immediately went there to give the watch a more thorough test drive.
And my earlier feeling is confirmed... this does not wear like a 45mm watch (more on that later)
So, long story short. I bought it.
And it's my 1st purchase of the year 2015...

As I mentioned earlier, the X-33 is powered by an analog digital multifunction quartz module which Omega calls Caliber 5619.
The list of functions is as follows:-

UTC Time (Universal Coordinated Time)
2 Separate Timezones
3 Separate Alarms
Chronograph
Timer
Mission Elapsed Time (MET)
3 Separate Phase Elapsed Time (PET)
Perpetual Calendar
Battery End of Life (EOL) Indicator
Backlight
Ultra Power Saving mode

Pretty impressive no?
The picture above shows the digital display... erm... displaying UTC time. It also shows the day of the year.

This is when it's displaying the 1st Timezone which will be used as Hometime and the analog hands will follow the time shown in this timezone.
The 2nd Timezone can be shown at the background in digital form, just scroll the functions by pressing the crown while the analog hands still maintaining the at the 1st Timezone/Hometime.

One of my favourite functions is the ultra power saving mode.
When the crown is pulled. All the analog hands are parked at 12 (see the top 2 pictures), digital display is switched off but timekeeping still goes on in the background without interruptions.
Once the crown is pushed back in, all functions and hands of the watch will be automatically move to show the current time.
Call me a kid but there is a satisfaction when looking at the analog hands zipping back and forth... lol

Grade 2 titanium is the material of choice for this watch.
Lightweight, less shiny with the matte brushed finish... exactly what a tool watch should be.
Wait, let me rephrase that... the old moonwatch is a tool... this X-33 is an instrument.
This watch is a proper instrument with well thought out functions.
Omega stated that the caliber 5619 is developed under an ESA patent license based on an invention by Astronaut Jean Francois Clervoy.
Not that it means anything to us non aerospace industry mortals but I guess it's a big deal if this watch is to be tested and certified, they have to do it in a proper way.

The watch is controlled by a whopping 4 pushers.
2 on each side and push/pull crown.
Another initial worry is that to set the watch's multiple functions will be complex but again, it was proved otherwise.
A short read of the manual and I am all good to go.
Talk about good design and interfaces.

You can also notice a gap at the caseback.
That gap is intentional as it allows the piezoelectric speakers alarm beeps to be amplified... it works... the alarm is loud.

Caseback is also titanium.
Fastened by 8 screws.
All engravings are clean and precise.
Love the Speedmaster logo there.
Below this 1st caseback is the said piezoelectric speaker, then a second caseback before you can see the battery.
Water resistance is rated at a lowly 3ATM.
A slight disappointment there.
Would have preferred 10ATM.
A friend of mine with the older generation X-33 tested his watch up to 6ATM... it was rated the same at 3ATM...
He assured me it's nothing to be worried about.

Case finishing and construction is top notch.
Lug design is identical to those found in the original moonwatch.
A design that pays homage to the moonwatch perhaps?

Another design homage to the moonwatch is the marker at 12... lifted straight from the original.
The bezel insert is matte black/grey ceramic.
Bi-directional and clicks abit on the loose side.

Bracelet and clasp is also fabricated in titanium.
Nothing much to complain here.
There is only 1 level of micro adjustment and its enough.
Comfortable on the wrist and gets the job done.

Extremely comfortable on the wrist.
Featherweight.
The 45mm case size? I suspect Omega measured the case including the "wings" on the left side of the case and also the crownguard.
I measured the bezel end to end, it measure between 41-42mm max.
That's why the watch does not wear like a 45mm watch.

After a couple of weeks, I am thoroughly happy with the watch.
Perfect grab and go watch.
Highly technical but also easy to operate.

This is also a watch that 9/10 people will miss on their radar... simply because it serves a niche market.
A friend has said that this watch is created for a purpose and not for the mass market appeal... It's not a moonwatch nor is it trying to be.
Current rrp is at RM18,600... and as you all might know, Omega fiercely controls the discounts.
Yes... I can sense some jaws dropping.
That amount for a quartz watch?

Once you look past the watch part and start treating it as a piece of functional instrument made for a specific role in mind... then it makes the price slightly easier to swallow.

But I still get the occasional "why?" once in awhile from friends.
My answer?
If you see someone wearing an X-33, he is either in the aerospace industry, aeronautics industry or a WIS...
You guys know for sure where I belong within the 3...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Omega Speedmaster X-33 Skywalker
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 10:34:48 PM »
As usual hanz, good and comprehensive review..... Nice piece btw.... And looking at the RRP, i have to lift my jaw from the ground already....

I do have a piece of HEQ thermocompensated too but obviously not as nice as your X33.....

Anyway, enjoy and wear the baby in good health!

My superquartz says hi.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:36:40 PM by nikfs1881 »
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Re: Omega Speedmaster X-33 Skywalker
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 04:11:47 AM »
Congrats!  After years of collecting watches I too starting to see the coolness of Quartz. Good choice by the way.

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 06:55:05 AM »
Congratulations on your acquisition. Accordingly I have also been eyeing this piece for a long time ever since it's launch but the water-resistance to me is a real let-down. I, like you, would have preferred a 10ATM water resistance rating.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Shiang

• Hello! Hello!!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:15:42 AM »
Informative write up. That's an interesting piece.

Offline Conscript

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »
Lovely piece there  :Cheers:

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 10:18:09 AM »
What a great watch. Makes us rethink and change our perception of quartz watches. Thanks again for the review Hanz...

Patrick

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 09:34:04 AM »
Congrats

And thanks for another great review

So many functions ! Pening

I regret to miss the old skywalker new old stock condition

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »
Can i request for a photo showing the backlight? Always want to see the backlight in real life as opposed to promotional pictures
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline JPSP

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 09:05:44 PM »
awesome watch!

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 10:45:03 PM »
Can i request for a photo showing the backlight? Always want to see the backlight in real life as opposed to promotional pictures

Here ya go bro...

Watch in normal lighted condition with backlight off.

Watch in normal lighted condition with backlight on.

Watch in minimal lighting with backlight on.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline cheongMike

• Freshie
  • Hi, Im Mike
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 06:55:43 AM »
backlight is great... :thumbsup:

Offline ZhaoYun

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 10:37:26 PM »
May I ask, since the bracelet is Titanium, will it scratch up very easily ? Thank you.

Offline Perrylin

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 06:26:35 AM »
wow that backlight is great

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 09:24:51 AM »
May I ask, since the bracelet is Titanium, will it scratch up very easily ? Thank you.

Titanium or Stainless steel or precious metals, they all collect scratches one way or another.
The trick is for some materials, the scratches are less visible

Offline andykwc1

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 07:16:13 PM »
It will look great on a rubber strap too. Nice piece of omega

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Offline mzsrn7

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 07:59:33 AM »
Great watch, excellent write up. :thumbsup:

Offline Cocas

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 11:58:21 AM »
SpaceX lauched successfully yesterday.

The astronaut watch this time is Omega X-33 !

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 12:01:35 PM by Cocas »