Author Topic: Rolex Prices Tanking  (Read 61057 times)

Offline pleasuresaurus

Re: Rolex Prices Tanking
« Reply #275 on: May 27, 2021, 02:52:56 PM »
'Friends of the brand' .....

Man, seeing all those Rollies just packed together like that, like so many sardine cans, really puts things in perspective. Merepek dah la brand ni.

https://youtu.be/2LAls6AdvXQ

Wah, Rolex bersepah-sepah  :o
Got to thank the grey dealers + the grey buyers that is continuously fueling this ridiculous game

You should listen to some of the FB live sales sessions by grey dealers have....  edging buyers to believe they will never get the desirable models at retail and to buy before prices go up again..  and young people who just got interested never realise many models were never desirable in the first place.. when sub dates were available at a discount, when nobody wanted the Sub no date or Yachtmaster or GMT even....

pic from 10 years ago.... and 20% off was very possible..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #276 on: May 27, 2021, 02:59:11 PM »

Wah, Rolex bersepah-sepah  :o
Got to thank the grey dealers + the grey buyers that is continuously fueling this ridiculous game

If you see FB for sale posts, it's mostly the same piece being posted for sale by multiple sellers. I guess it depends who gets the first bite.

Grey prices are all over the place but it would be interesting to know how many pieces are really sold at the asking prices and who is really willing to pay double or more the retail price for a watch.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #277 on: May 27, 2021, 03:06:43 PM »
There are plenty ‘friends of the brand’ in Malaysia...

Grey keep repeating the same tricks ‘don’t buy now increase later...’ over and
over again...

The price will also keep climbing coz there simply too many plp wanting Rollies...

I know a Tudor Choro Panda just sold at rm25k+...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2021, 07:24:42 AM »

and back to the original track...

it does seem some sellers have brought down prices for used 116610LV to 7x,xxx from 8x,xxx

steel Daytonas also not moving fast at 14x,xxx

quite sure the established grey have more holding power but the newer ventures might not

also, seeing a lot more incoming from Ad posts on overseas forums too.. watches becoming more available?

Offline W3ll

« Reply #279 on: May 31, 2021, 10:38:54 AM »
There are plenty ‘friends of the brand’ in Malaysia...

Grey keep repeating the same tricks ‘don’t buy now increase later...’ over and
over again...

The price will also keep climbing coz there simply too many plp wanting Rollies...

I know a Tudor Choro Panda just sold at rm25k+...

Silly price to pay for a tudor panda.. plenty surfaces around 23800 the past 1 week

Offline swleong

« Reply #280 on: May 31, 2021, 04:00:07 PM »
Started with Rolex, now over-spill to Tudor. Don't buy the hype people!

Off topic: with the same Tudor Panda hyped price tag, I can get a decent setup of UST laser projector with 100" UST PET screen and sound system for my home cinema, but that's just me.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #281 on: May 31, 2021, 06:46:26 PM »

Grey dealers trying to hype Air King to 42+ k has now backed down to 35+ k also … maybe not moving

Offline RyanLiang

• Freshie
« Reply #282 on: May 31, 2021, 06:55:29 PM »
Rm 35k+ is preown. Not brand new.
Brand new still selling above rm 40k

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
« Reply #283 on: June 21, 2021, 10:56:37 AM »
I have noticed several grey dealers are reducing their prices recently(e.g. batgirl from 76k to 71k), mostly likely due to slow market affected by FMCO. Maybe it's a good time pull some triggers?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #284 on: June 21, 2021, 03:00:05 PM »
I have noticed several grey dealers are reducing their prices recently(e.g. batgirl from 76k to 71k), mostly likely due to slow market affected by FMCO. Maybe it's a good time pull some triggers?

Better off spending that premium on buying crypto right now bro, 71k is just waaaay overvalued.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #285 on: June 21, 2021, 03:05:03 PM »

If got the cash and luv it just buy it...

Rolex ,master of dripping it’s client, will never let the price come down...

Offline Cocas

« Reply #286 on: June 21, 2021, 05:11:08 PM »
For the flippers, it's time to dump the investment units.

6 digits Rolex prices are tumbling down.... ;)

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2021, 07:48:10 PM »
Interesting how this seeming decline coincides with events like the US Fed announcement on rates leading to strengthening USD n drop in DowJones. Talk about macroeconomic implications of rolex prices

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #288 on: June 21, 2021, 08:06:20 PM »
Interesting indeed...and perhaps coupled with the restrictions due to FMCO that limits the purchase and collection of watches...and if so, may well blow up again once restrictions ease up.

Unless worldwide pricing is also dropping, it's hard to directly relate global macroeconomic factors on the Malaysian demand for Rolex...

But that's just my guess la...I stand corrected!

Offline W3ll

« Reply #289 on: June 22, 2021, 10:38:15 AM »
Indeed the prices have been going down, you notice most grey have their inventory of Rolex in abundance..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #290 on: June 22, 2021, 02:00:57 PM »
Indeed the prices have been going down, you notice most grey have their inventory of Rolex in abundance..

too many new startups with little holding power need to liquidate quick for turnaround. Quite sure the older established sellers will have more stable pricing.

might be true... or maybe moving investments towards crypto or other speculations... so if you bought high and expecting it to go higher...  :Laughing_on_floor:

Buy at retail or discounted.. and it's the grey dealers and professional flippers who are screwing the market, not ROLEX itself.

If you follow some of the FB groups and forums, you will notice a trend that many are posting their recent AD purchases which indicate that stock is flowing in more often...

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #291 on: June 22, 2021, 02:28:06 PM »
Hopefully prices can stabilize at more sensible levels within the next few years. I'm not asking for much, a used blue-dialled 114300 in good condition at masuk akal price also enuff di la   :Blue:

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
« Reply #292 on: June 22, 2021, 02:29:39 PM »

too many new startups with little holding power need to liquidate quick for turnaround. Quite sure the older established sellers will have more stable pricing.

might be true... or maybe moving investments towards crypto or other speculations... so if you bought high and expecting it to go higher...  :Laughing_on_floor:

Buy at retail or discounted.. and it's the grey dealers and professional flippers who are screwing the market, not ROLEX itself.

If you follow some of the FB groups and forums, you will notice a trend that many are posting their recent AD purchases which indicate that stock is flowing in more often...
Is there a way to get at retail?

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #293 on: June 22, 2021, 02:49:15 PM »

Yes, at a profile of 150k, it’s the norms at all AD now.

Most of the old timer here already purchased plenty from AD, so it’s no much of issues for them ..p

Offline dpkong

« Reply #294 on: June 22, 2021, 06:39:50 PM »

Yes.. 

But there are so many people walking into a store every day (when it's not MCO lah) and asking for a popular model and people in the AD also know the premiums on the grey market if you sell it so obviously they want to know if you're a flipper or a collector. But how would they? That is why you have to spend time to communicate and build a relationship.

Plenty of members here will tell you AD are all unscrupulous and sell only in bundle or have shady deals or you need to buy lots of useless pieces. While a few may do that, no every AD is like that.

Yes, at a profile of 150k, it’s the norms at all AD now.

Most of the old timer here already purchased plenty from AD, so it’s no much of issues for them ..p

This is what people are saying but I got a steel Sky Dweller just by asking.. only previous purchase was a moonwatch more than 2 years back.. then followed by a few other steel sports models. So if you meet the right AD and they're convinced you're a collector, you have no difficulty getting pieces. I was offered other brands and even when I declined them, it didn't stop me getting another steel Rolex later. So there isn't a need to buy what you don't want just to get what you want because you'd make yourself look like a grey dealer instead.

Offline Mike9191

« Reply #295 on: June 22, 2021, 06:59:14 PM »
Don’t care about price . Just buy what you love . That enough

??? iPhone ????? Tapatalk

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2021, 08:56:11 AM »

There is, but like dpkong said you'll have to visit the AD and begin building relationship with them. It is very unlikely for you to get the 126710BLNR as your first Rolex at the AD without any prior spend history, there're just too much demand for that piece.

It really depends on what your approach is in watch collecting in today's market. If you are not desperate and do not mind the wait and are willing to explore other lines of Rolex or other brands the AD has to offer, then pick something they offer you that you genuinely love and enjoy; or buy them for your partner/family as a gift - anything that will constitute spend history at the AD. I believe that is the only way they will take you more seriously as a genuine buyer. But even then, there is no absolute guarantee if and when you will get the piece you want, especially when the piece you want is a very popular model; you just have to be patient. With this approach, I believe in the long run once you become an established spender, the AD will likely offer you new stocks ahead of the non-spenders.

That is why there's a premium for these watches in the grey.

If you do not care for any other watches but just the 126710BLNR, then I suggest you just buy at what you deem is the most competitive market price in the grey and get it over with. If you truly love the watch, the moment you put it on your wrist you won't be thinking about the premium you've paid. The worst thing that could happen is if you realize you don't love the watch and you regret paying that premium, then you'll likely take a 5-10% loss by selling it back to the dealer or on your own - and find closure and move on.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #297 on: June 23, 2021, 09:21:13 AM »
If wanting popular model only, can wait 3-5 years (no guarantee) then possible

If spend 150k at AD then can get popular model within 2-6 months (few of my friend just did that and they got it)

If cannot wait then go grey..   ;D

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2021, 10:21:26 AM »
Great info guys. I currently own a 116610 and 16710, both from grey. Only favour the steel sport models and I think I wouldn't be spending 150k as pre-requisite at AD. Will try the relationship building approach and see how it goes. Otherwise, grey is my only destiny....

Offline RyanLiang

• Freshie
« Reply #299 on: June 23, 2021, 08:36:52 PM »
I got all my Rolexes from grey market.
Grey is the only option for me.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk