Author Topic: Zenith Chronomaster Open El Primero XXT  (Read 8185 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Zenith Chronomaster Open El Primero XXT
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »
This is one lazy day.
It is the 3rd day of Merdeka Raya and I have stuffed myself full of food for the 1st 2 days of visiting friends.  :P
This is my first go at what I hope to a qualified "review" of my Zenith Chronomaster Open XXT
Pictures are taken using my wife's Pink.... yes.... Pink Sony TX-5.
Of all the watch brands out there... Zenith is something special for me.
Even during the days when I know nothing about watches, the word "Zenith" just oozes class... I know... simple reason for someone to get attached to a brand name.
The previous one I have was the El Primero HW which I sold to make way for this one... a Chronomaster XXT.
The design is just pure elegance and class.
Some of the finer details with this watch can only be seen when holding the actual watch.
Photos just don't do justice, unless I invest in a DSLR camera with all the knick knacks that I need for a professional photoshoot... but in the meantime, these will have to do.

THE DIAL, MARKERS AND HANDS.
All I can say about the dial is it is absolutely beautiful to look at.
With some guilloche parts and brushed parts... it gives out a sense of sophistication and elegance.
Markers are raised black roman numerals which in itself gives out a shine that is just out of this world.
The Dial and Markers gives the appearance of depth at the face of the watch.
The main hands are the Silver Hours, Minutes and Seconds hand as well a a Gold hand for the power reserve indicator.
Readability for the time is sometimes mistaken as the gold power reserve hand will look like the silver hands under specific lighting conditions. Not a dealbreaker in any way but I was hoping that they go a different design for the power reserve hands, that would solve the problem.
From 8-11, there is a cutout of the dial to let you peek inside the escapement.
It is just beautifully done and I think this is the highlight of this model.
The "open" dial show the escapement happily ticking away and the balance spring spinning at a high rate...
Put a watch beside this one running at 28800bph and the difference is easy to see.

MOVEMENT.
This watch is powered by the Zenith Manufacture El Primero caliber 4021.
Beats and an high rate of 36000 beats per hour which comes down to 10 beats per second, it is a joy to look at the second hands sweep when the chronograph functions start.
This is something that cannot be captured on photograph.
One word.... mesmerizing!!
It is a shame that without the chronograph starting, you can only see a small tri-tip helicopter hands spinning with the open background that shows the swiss anchor escapement... you have to look hard as there are alot of details at one go.

STRAP AND DEPLOYANT.
The watch comes with a black glossy genuine alligator strap and a signed Zenith Butterfly Deployant clasp.
There are no buttons for release... it is strictly pressure push click and pull to release type.
Once secured, it is firm and assuring. No problems whatsoever.
The straps are 22mm width and tapers to 18mm.
The thing I notice about straps of this size is that when you look for replacements, it is as though most strap manufacturers know that straps of this size is meant for high end watches and the straps of this particular size normally sell for at least usd100 or more... I have yet to find a cheap one yet. 22-20? Plenty of cheap ones... 22-18? good luck bro...
Don't believe me? Search around and you will see.

CROWN AND PUSHERS.
The crown is a normal push pull type with no screw ins. It is signed with a Zenith Star.
I would love it to have a screw in crown to at least give it a WR rating of at least 50m or better at 100m... but it is only rated at 30m... Raindrops is the only thing this watch will go thru... anything more... I would not even dare to try.
The Chronograph pushers are sized just nice to press when needed.
When pressed, the click is reassuringly firm and precise.

DETAILS.
Okay, this is one thing I can capture on photographs.
I will try to explain this one with words. Please bear with me.
The bezel on this watch is a stepped design. (see the pic above)
From the case, it stepped up twice in polished stainless steel and the third "step" is the sapphire crystal itself.
Okay, now why would they do that? Isn't it better if the sapphire crystal is level with the bezel to protect it from nicks and bangs?
There is actually a reason.
From an angle, layers will appear on the sapphire that looks really magnificent!
See these?

Surreal man... just beautiful...

Asked if I would grade this watch on a scale of 1 to 10... I would give it a 9.5.
If the design of the power reserve hands is different from the time telling hands and WR of 50m or 100m, it will get a 10/10 in my book...
Yes... I am biased...  ;D
Lastly, a wrist shot....

And I still think it wears abit too big for me.
If I can find a 40mm one with a good price, I would jump at it without any 2nd thoughts.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it.

PS: Consider this a review ar? If not, move this over to the gallery's section...  :Cheers:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:40:39 PM by hanz079 »
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Re: Zenith Chronomaster Open El Primero XXT
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:55:39 PM »
love these Zeniths ..and also the new EPs  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

but what irks me most is the sticking of these beautiful calibres into oversized cases.

love you HW too... one day i....one day

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Online jonhtks

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »
A real solid built watch !

I personally like the tripple layer watch case, classy feel :)  :thumbsup:

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »
Very nice watch. This model i believe would be the one to invoke my newfound love for Zenith.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »
i can see your wife's pink SONY TX-5 reflection on the 6th photo.  ;D

on top of this, noticed that most of the photos got some pink color reflection on the watch surface.

anyhow, nice and superb watch you got there. thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:

please do take again this watch once you got your DSLR!  :Cheers:
watchManU

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 07:44:27 AM »
Very detailed review bro  :thumbsup:
Enjoy reading it a lot.
 :Cheers:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 03:12:56 PM »
Good review... Thnx for sharing

It look oversize even on ur right
wrist

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
A good review on the Zenith, Hanz.
I can see your wife's pink SONY TX-5 reflection on most of the pictures. That shows that the Zenith body, dial etc is really reflective even though it is not "miror-reflective". 

Anyway, that is a nice and superb watch you have got there. Zenith, wor. The people at Zenith took 11 months to assemble a watch (I was told).
BTW, thanks for sharing. 

:Cheers:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »
hahah Swiss standard of living...

with an average 40 hour work week with mandatory 4-5 weeks annual leave (not including contractual leaves). minus off lunch hours and etc = shorter working hours and also 125% overtime allowance (the reason why there's no 7-11 or 24hrs MacDs over there and also real short weekend fast food/retail operating hours)

... I would not be surprised it takes them that long to assemble the watch.  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:42:50 PM by terrenceterrence »
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:47:51 PM »
hanz,

it looks like one of the few i was looking at in Pavilion yesterday. i was looking the the Striking 10th and the Tourbillion when this one caught me eye as well. nice watches all of them.

can you share where you bought the watch and how much you paid for it? if that's not allowed here, please send me a PM.

thank you.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:21 PM »
hanz,

it looks like one of the few i was looking at in Pavilion yesterday. i was looking the the Striking 10th and the Tourbillion when this one caught me eye as well. nice watches all of them.

can you share where you bought the watch and how much you paid for it? if that's not allowed here, please send me a PM.

thank you.
PM sent.
I am looking for a 40mm model myself at the moment.
The newer Chronomaster open at 42mm looks to wear big as well due to the thin bezel.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 06:48:36 AM »
Han,  :thumbsup: review, I enjoy reading it, thanks for sharing... :Cheers:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline Hellkite

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »
That is one good looking watch. Looks very similar to the one I was considering at a shop in KLCC. Didn't  end up getting it. Salesperson promised me a big discount too! Oh well, have to wait some time before I can get another.

Congrats on a beautiful watch! Great quality on those.. 

Offline lcncloud9

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 12:16:35 AM »
it's beautiful watch, congrats bro!!!!