Author Topic: Homage ??? A close thin line  (Read 11866 times)

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
Re: Homage ??? A close thin line
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 06:50:28 AM »
Guys, thank you for all your reply. I was hoping that some one would put some attention on this topic.
Unfortunately I am unable to reply to all comment immediately, as i was away for two days. Went back to kampung, my father in law had high blood pressure attack....but now all is good. He recovered well and I am back

The truth is, it is not i have problem buying a homage. But clearly there has been divided sentiment over the subject. Partly it feels right and partly it feels wrong in so many level. To allow homage get away with view "no commercial value" does not really justify. To own one, you must buying it from someone who make it (unless you make it yourself) and clearly that is already a commercial value. There is transaction involve.

When ever i bought a homage, i make it clear to those who ask that this is homage. A few years back, when i dont know much about watches and thought replica is ok, i also make it clear to people who asked that this is replica.But back to quote from GMAC88
" because from 5-10 metres away, people cannot see the brand' marina militare' or panerai. the first impression is that it is a panerai. that is just my opinion and say on the matter at hand."

how am i suppose to announce it loudly.Truth to be told clearly there will always be misleading event...

I am not against homage, neither advising anyone to get it.Choices is in our own hand.

I hope this topic could be reference especially for newbies to understand what is homage, and what they are dealing with. A conscious decision is much better.

Offline ttfjon

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 07:57:10 AM »
I agree with you that choice is in our own hands.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 10:01:05 AM »
homage watches are for those who just love the outer look of the watch and dont
really care about the movement, history, innovation, or originality.

I do not agree with your statement!

If you really want a homage watch, you must know the history of the watch n how it was design n bla bla bla... WithOut that respect how can you say HOMAGE? A real homage must be close to it's original design, history...

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 10:54:15 AM »
Chris...to me la...my personal view.

The homage lover are those who really appreciate watch making, but needless to say the cant afford the real one. They truly understand the watch that being homage, and love it to the bottom of their heart.

The replica / fake lover are those who like the design of watches, and some of them are also pretentious. Like to pretend they can afford something they cant.  Because, if you only love the outer design of the watch, it is better to get the replica as it look almost 100% real to what you like....you don't need the far more expensive homage if you only love the outer design...

For me, I do own several homage and i pay extra to ensure i get good movement, and good materials. I love watches, and i love the movement. I know I am staring at asian unitas, but that is what i do...i love looking the way the movement work, and always pray soon enough i could afford the real one....some people come to and label me as fake, it hurts however i also look it this way...as the popular saying nowadays sound..."ada aku kesah ??? "  say what ever u like la....hehehhehe

Offline kltime

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »

For me, I do own several homage and i pay extra to ensure i get good movement, and good materials. I love watches, and i love the movement. I know I am staring at asian unitas, but that is what i do...i love looking the way the movement work, and always pray soon enough i could afford the real one....some people come to and label me as fake, it hurts however i also look it this way...as the popular saying nowadays sound..."ada aku kesah ??? "  say what ever u like la....hehehhehe

As I said ,we are all here bcos of our love of watches be it "originals" or "homages". I think all of us are responsible,sensible and aware enough not to talk about fakes...

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »
the whole point why homages are viewed negatively is that people are 'confused' by it. confusion here can be caused by the impression of others on the watch. like i said in my analogy where people cannot tell the difference between panerai and marina militare from 5-10m. it is for that reason why homages are not condone. it doesnt matter whether the wearer can clarify that it is a homage or a replica. however, it the personal opinion that really counts in the end. however all watches to watchlovers are good regardless of homages or originals.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline ex001

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 05:13:43 PM »
homage watches are for those who just love the outer look of the watch and dont
really care about the movement, history, innovation, or originality.

I do not agree with your statement!

If you really want a homage watch, you must know the history of the watch n how it was design n bla bla bla... WithOut that respect how can you say HOMAGE? A real homage must be close to it's original design, history...

its ok to disagree bro  :Cheers:
and im not talking about homage like ur vintage pam project,
but something like Alpha and some other brands that look exactly like more famous watch.
Even casio have homage. i've seen one that looks just like my casio protrek.
 :Cheers:  ;D  ;D

For me if i cant afford the real thing, i'll buy something that look lebih kurang.
cant afford deep sea ill buy submariner, cant afford 312 ill buy 111.
as long as its original.  ;D ;D