Author Topic: The Dalai Lama just loves watches  (Read 6474 times)

Offline fleaman

• Freshie
The Dalai Lama just loves watches
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:46:12 PM »
Guys,
Something to share over the weekend.. (got this via STAR online)

Happy reading..

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/7/17/nation/20100717175043&sec=nation

Published: Saturday July 17, 2010 MYT 5:44:00 PM
The Dalai Lama just loves watches

DHARAMSALA: The Dalai Lama's commitment to the Tibetan cause can only be described as timeless. So, is the 75-year-old spiritual leader's penchant for watches.

When he was seven, the Dalai Lama received his first watch a gold Rolex - from none other than former United States president Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Roosevelt sent the gift to the Dalai Lama in 1942, as a symbol of gesture to secure relations with Tibet.

"I just like watches. I have 15 watches now, they are mostly gifts. My first watch was given to me by President (Franklin) Roosevelt.

"I like watches, I don't know why. Maybe, because I am a reincarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama.

"I was told (that) he was fond of pocket-watches, rosaries and horses, but I am afraid of horses," he burst out laughing, in his regular banter during an interview at his headquarters in Dharamsala, the power-base of the Tibetan Government-in-Exile.

Perhaps, the most interviewed and photographed monk, often draped in his usual maroon and orange robes, he leads a monastic life with his staunch followers in the main temple of McLeod Ganj in Dharamsala.

He considers himself a Marxist.

The Dalai Lama was born Tenzin Gyatso in northeast of Tibet to a peasant family and is believed to be the reincarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama, Thubten Gyatso.

He fled to India in 1959, when Chinese troops entered Tibet's capital, Lhasa, to quell a national uprising, and he ended up in Dharamsala, northern state of Himachal Pradesh.

Eventually, Dharamsala became home for the exiled spiritual leader and thousands of escaping Tibetans over the past 50 years from where he champions the Tibetan cause. Bernama

:Cheers:

Offline Samajaya168

• ^_^
Re: The Dalai Lama just loves watches
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »
not bad, not bad in deed  :thumbsup:
AP - 15710
ROLEX - 116710
FM - GPG 9900
PANERAI - PAM 00000
CHOPARD - 168457-3005
ZENITH - 03.2430.3000/21.C738
SINN - Art-Nr. 1020.040
TISSOT - T066.427.17.047.00
OMEGA - 1513.30.00 (TRADED)
IWC -  IW500703 (TRADED)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
yes. he not like other Tibetan... he spent most of his time in the west...
so i'm not surprise he like watches... in the movie 7 yrs in Tibet already shown you he like all the modern western thing.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »
that show also crap one ler...

u see the Commie flag outside the building but Chiang kai-shek's portrait inside the chinese embassy.

makes me wonder how true is the movie and how much is made up and how much is the truth when they could not even spot such a blaring mistake.

BTW u can see photos of Dalai Lama with his TT DJ in rolexblog
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline sshark

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »
Does Dalai Lama browse watch forums for the latest brand models?

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 03:31:07 PM »
i am more interested to know our Yang Di-Berhormat, One M'sia founder (who a Paneristis) will browse forum for the latest brand model??? :HammerHead:

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 05:45:48 PM »
i am more interested to know our Yang Di-Berhormat, One M'sia founder (who a Paneristis) will browse forum for the latest brand model??? :HammerHead:

maybe you can drop him our phorum link to him tru his blog or tru his facebook profile.... That is if HE is the one using it instead of some PR dood.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 05:49:49 PM »
Dunno maybe he doesn;t really need to read forums like us... maybe he have ppl like VT giving him tons of prezzies.   8)

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:53:33 PM »
Dunno maybe he doesn;t really need to read forums like us... maybe he have ppl like VT giving him tons of prezzies.   8)

Maybe we could have gathering at his house to look at his wares if he manage to find his way here

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »
whahahah GTG at Seri Perdana!!!!!

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »
whahahah GTG at Seri Perdana!!!!!

He actually did a gathering wtih some blogger not long ago. SO the possibilities is there, is that either he wanted to join us a not?

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 06:11:08 PM »
great publicity hor?

okaylar when he visits the felda settlements atleast each person gets a kain songket and rm50

now all ppl who attend a gtg would get atleast get a Sub to play along with the theme

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 04:41:16 PM »
hmmm so who shall start the ball rolling by dropping a link at his blog or facebok ar?