Author Topic: JSAR Conversion  (Read 10242 times)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
JSAR Conversion
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »
I have always like the Marathon JSAR (Jumbo SAR) after getting the original SAR. However I never got one as the current model are fitted with the new movement and conversion to a mechanical movement is difficult. The old model is no longer available.

This changed when one of the guys who was involved in the design and building of the SAR watches made one available. The original JSAR fitted with the ISA 1198-103 movement. With this model, the conversion to fit the ETA 2824-2 is much easier as:

1. The movement is a direct swap, as both are 11.5 ligne. The metal ring that holds the movement in place in the case will fit both the ISA 1198 and ETA 2824. The dial feet are also in the same position.

2. The hands are a direct swap, except for the sweep seconds hand. The hand size on the ISA 1198: 90/150/20 (m/h/s), while the hand size on the ETA 2824 is 90/150/25 (m/h/s). So the sweep seconds hand needs to be broached to the correct size.

3. Swap the date wheel from black on white on the ETA to the new date wheel.

So with this in mind, I got the watch and the parts required for the conversion.

The watch.

The movement, ETA 2824-2 with the original black on white date wheel.

The new white on black date wheel.

The ISA 1198 movement inside the JSAR.

Another view.

Because the sweep seconds hand had to be broached, I decided to send the watch to my watch guy for the conversion.

The dial and hands fitted to the ETA 2824-2.

The old ISA 1198 movement. Note the white on black date wheel of the original.

The huge JSAR stainless steel case at 46.6 mm diameter, now with no movement.

My watch guy decided not to broach the sweep second hand, leaving it as a last choice. His reasoning is that the outer diameter of the sweep second mount is .27mm while the inside diameter is .20mm. If he were to broach the hand to .25mm (internal diameter), there will not be much metal left. His option was to change the sweep second hand mount post. I left the decision to him.

The location of the mount post.

He went with changing the mount post. The old mount post (.25mm from the ETA).

He also had to change the winding stem to a longer winding stem as the standard winding stem that comes with the ETA 2824-2 was too short.

The old date wheel from the ETA2824-2.

Another unused part from the watch. This is the movement spacer between the the movement and the dial. I could have it installed but that would require the cannon pinion of the ETA to be taller. So it was decided that the spacer not be used.

The removed ISA 1198 movement. Remember to remove the battery.

The new ETA 2824-2 movement fitted inside the case.

Another view of the ETA movement.

The case back. Note the crinkle washer. The washer hold the movement spacer in place. It does make the case back look like a compressor case back. The bad part is the the washer is not held in place on the case back. This makes installing the case back a tad difficult.

The watch, now with an automatic movement fitted.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:46:22 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
Re: JSAR Conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:44:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing how you convert your watch from quartz to automatic   :)  :thumbsup:

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »
Not bad, convert from Quartz to automatic, why ETA 2824-2, is it due to the size???
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »
Wow, an open heart transplant for the JSAR. This is a real eye opener. Well done and thanks for sharing.
How's the performance of the watch now that it has a real beating heart?

:Cheers:

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
First time I have seen watch movement 'conversion' documented on photos.

Thanks for sharing.
dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Manburg

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »
Hobbit, I knew you would've documented it. ;D I mean, it's not everyday that one would do such a conversion, would one not? To just pass it through without putting it on record would be a shame I guess.

Well, as I've said it before, which I'm going to repeat here ... you're da man! :thumbsup:

Nicd work, congratulations and keep it coming mate! :Cheers:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 04:33:44 PM »
siodee,

The choice of the ETA 2824 was due to the size, both the old movement and the new being 11.5 ligne. Also the other considerations being the dial feet location and hand size.

danny,

My watch guy had the movement regulated (3 position) and it is now running +1 sec a day. He will regulate it again in a few weeks time, once the movement has 'run-in'. So far I am happy with the conversion. I have no doubt about the quality of the ISA 1198, but somehow I prefer an automatic movement. Perhaps now I can consider the watch the ultimate tool watch.

dc,

The pleasure is all mine. I think posting it here in this format is a tad better as compared to the entry on my blog, which is more piece meal.

Manburg,

Hahahaha, me the man? Not really as I did not do the work. My watch guy did all the work. My participation is limited to taking the photographs and telling him it can be done.

Offline GlySinn

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
Wow!!
Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:

Offline Friday

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:02:18 PM »
Nice post n thanks for sharing. Really like the macho looks of the marathon. Its a beast.. :thumbsup:
"Personally, I only know the Rolex quotes that you get from the net. And they're expensive!" - S.D

Offline Manburg

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 06:43:48 AM »
Manburg,

Hahahaha, me the man? Not really as I did not do the work. My watch guy did all the work. My participation is limited to taking the photographs and telling him it can be done.

Mate, it does not matter that you didn't do the work. What's important is your decision to embark on the project. Without you agreeing for such, your watchman won't even touch it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:16:22 AM by Manburg »
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 07:14:27 AM »
Kudos for doing it sir!
Most wont dare to do it in Malaysia.
But i must admit that the transplant went quite well.

What grade of ETA movt did you get? As i know even for same models there are different finishing and grade.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 07:58:03 AM »
Kudos for doing it sir!
Most wont dare to do it in Malaysia.
But i must admit that the transplant went quite well.

What grade of ETA movt did you get? As i know even for same models there are different finishing and grade.

takashi78,

Lucky to have a guy close by that is willing to do some work for me. He is pretty good, and we have an easy going relationship. For example, I was not charged for all the work done. In return, sometimes, when I have a project or he needs something and he knows that I can get it for him, I give it to him. For example, he needed an Omega Seamaster (vintage) case and he knows I have one. I don't need it as I wanted the movement. So the case and hands went to him.

As for the movement, it is the standard movement, unfinished. However, it has been regulated at 3 positions by my watch guy.

Offline siodee

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 08:14:54 AM »
siodee,

The choice of the ETA 2824 was due to the size, both the old movement and the new being 11.5 ligne. Also the other considerations being the dial feet location and hand size.

danny,

My watch guy had the movement regulated (3 position) and it is now running +1 sec a day. He will regulate it again in a few weeks time, once the movement has 'run-in'. So far I am happy with the conversion. I have no doubt about the quality of the ISA 1198, but somehow I prefer an automatic movement. Perhaps now I can consider the watch the ultimate tool watch.

dc,

The pleasure is all mine. I think posting it here in this format is a tad better as compared to the entry on my blog, which is more piece meal.

Manburg,

I mean why not movement like ETA 2892-2, it should be same size
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:31:40 AM »

I mean why not movement like ETA 2892-2, it should be same size

Ah, I see. Well the ETA 2824 is an easier movement to get as ETA (I believe) has stricter control over the sale of the ETA 2892 as it is considered (by some) as a superior movement to the garden variety ETA 2824. Additionally the ETA 2824 is cheaper.

Offline siodee

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
[
Ah, I see. Well the ETA 2824 is an easier movement to get as ETA (I believe) has stricter control over the sale of the ETA 2892 as it is considered (by some) as a superior movement to the garden variety ETA 2824. Additionally the ETA 2824 is cheaper.

Hmm, I didn't know they control the ETA movement sale, something good to know. BTW, you bought the ETA 2824 online? or bought it from the local AD in Taiwan?

Offline Manburg

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:50 AM »

I'm not sure about the stricter control, but yes, 2892 (especially the one with the suffixation "-2", i.e. 2892-2) is of a higher quality than 2824. It is then further categorised into 4 different levels, the best of which is said to be comparable to some venerable in-house movements.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
[

Hmm, I didn't know they control the ETA movement sale, something good to know. BTW, you bought the ETA 2824 online? or bought it from the local AD in Taiwan?

My watch guy sourced the movement for me. Basically he can source anything.