Author Topic: How Long it takes to Overhaul an automatic watch?  (Read 5058 times)

Offline Nickmax

How Long it takes to Overhaul an automatic watch?
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:17:02 AM »
I bought a watch from a pre-own shop and they provide me a 1 year in-house warranty
To cut the story short, the watch was required for an overhaul due to some issue. So, I send back to the shop to do the overhaul and they agree to do so since it is under warranty.
However, the overhaul only took a day. Usually, I was told an overhaul service have to takes weeks and sometime months to settle.
So, my question is, for those who knows how to overhaul, how long will it take to overhaul an automatic watch (no date)? Is it true, the process would not take up so long as the authorize service center always does?

Offline dankhar

Re: How Long it takes to Overhaul an automatic watch?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:45:30 AM »
Complete overhaul takes anything between 2 days to 2 weeks depending on the work load of the watch maker.
If it's just regulating the accuracy of the watch using a timegraph machine, maybe it takes less than a day.

hope this helps
Sometimes the best thing to do is ... absolutely nothing!

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 12:06:39 PM »
When i sent my PO to Omega SC for a complete overhaul, it took approximately 2 weeks. I recently sent a DJ to Rolex SC for the same job and was informed that it would be ready in 3 weeks' time. Bearing in mind that there could be other jobs that they have in the queue and partly to wait for parts from Swiss, that could in part contribute to the delay. If the parts were ready on-site and the watch smith was only working on your watch only, then it would be possible for him/her to get your watch ready in a day or two. This was in reference to my Dad's previous role as a watch smith.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Nickmax

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 12:55:14 PM »
Thank you so much for the feedback.
I have this bad perception that they might have just leave for a day without doing anything
now, I am more convince :)

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 03:02:36 PM »
As I do service watches, normal overhaul of watches without need for repair or parts replacement takes around 2-3 weeks.

Why so long you may ask:

1) When I get the watch, I will leave it running for a day or two first to observe any irregularities of timekeeping and performance.

2) After this evaluation period, I will commence overhaul & first initial regulation. Time consumed: 1 day (max)

3) I will again leave the watch on the watch winding tester for 3 days, where after that I will again check the accuracy and deviation. Regulating again as needed.

4) Final test, the watch will be again left on the watch winding tester for another 5 days, with certain days off the machine to check for power reserve and accuracy.

5) After the above control tests,I will perform a final accuracy test and check before the watch iis returned to the customer.

Time taken approx 2 weeks plus.

This is actually what happens in the service centres too, as they normally dedicate a week for testing and quality control.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 03:04:22 PM by JeepWH »
Seiko fan.....

Offline D'Andy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
Jeep is right that additional time needs to be allocated for the post-monitoring of time accuracy. Perhaps I should clarify that by my statement i.e. "If the parts were ready on-site and the watch smith was only working on your watch only, then it would be possible for him/her to get your watch ready in a day or two.", I meant the actual act of overhauling/servicing of the movement.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 04:08:15 PM »
Jeep is right that additional time needs to be allocated for the post-monitoring of time accuracy. Perhaps I should clarify that by my statement i.e. "If the parts were ready on-site and the watch smith was only working on your watch only, then it would be possible for him/her to get your watch ready in a day or two.", I meant the actual act of overhauling/servicing of the movement.

Haha bro, your statement also reminds me to add on to mine.

Forgot to state in my reply, that in the event the watch requires part replacement, there will be additional waiting time min 1 week as I have to order the spare parts from suppliers.
Seiko fan.....

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 02:41:05 PM »
I sent my AP offshore singapore, took me 2 months. My rolex yacthmaster in kl , 3 weeks . My local rolex guy that i am very close with ... 1 day with all the parts available on site.  And i get to see him work on my watch also .  So all the waiting time are actually queuing time .

Having said that, all my watches are non complication watches. A minute repeater or tourbiliion might take much more longer than that ..  8)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 11:48:17 AM »
I sent my AP offshore singapore, took me 2 months. My rolex yacthmaster in kl , 3 weeks . My local rolex guy that i am very close with ... 1 day with all the parts available on site.  And i get to see him work on my watch also .  So all the waiting time are actually queuing time .

Having said that, all my watches are non complication watches. A minute repeater or tourbilion might take much more longer than that ..  8)

for a 3 hands rolex, i belief if you exclude the testing time, less than half day
a typical chrono with 7750, i hv seen watchmaker do it half day also

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »
Actually chris is right, most of the time spent on testing and QC.

As to 7750, if one were to fully follow the ETA service guide, approx 8 hours
Seiko fan.....

Offline Nickmax

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 07:45:44 AM »
Thank you so much for the feedback.
learn a lot.
Just a quick but very newbie question.
Is there any machinery/equipment use for the QC and monitoring OR it is monitor manually (for example: wind and monitor)?

Offline D'Andy

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 08:17:44 AM »
Is there any machinery/equipment use for the QC and monitoring OR it is monitor manually (for example: wind and monitor)?

Normally, the watchsmith would check the watch on the timegrapher before and after servicing (if required) to gauge on the running of the movement. Tweaks can then be done to regulate the movement further. it ain't no rocket science, but patience and a love for watches would go a long way in the adjustments.

Offline Clicko

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 08:43:52 AM »
For reference, my JLC MUT Perpetual took 3 months for complete overhaul due to the PR lasted 20hrs only instead of 38hrs. My watch was sent back to Switzerland since no expertise locally. Luckily it is still under warranty.

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 04:40:41 PM »
It take about one month for complete overhaul my Mido watch from SC. They do complete overhaul , and replace the back gasket and nickle hands which is I'm not sure what it is. Is it a component in the movement or they replace the hour,minute and seconds hand.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 05:27:08 AM »
It take about one month for complete overhaul my Mido watch from SC. They do complete overhaul , and replace the back gasket and nickle hands which is I'm not sure what it is. Is it a component in the movement or they replace the hour,minute and seconds hand.

If they say hands in the service receipt, it should literally mean your watch hands.  ;D

AFAIK, there are no other movement parts named hands though.
Seiko fan.....

Offline D'Andy

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 01:44:21 PM »
Interestingly, overhaul service at SCs almost always seemed to indicate change of hands. Omega SC did that with my PO, and they showed the parts replaced including the hands packaged in a small container, although I was not able to retrieve the parts as per their policy. I have sent a DJ for overhaul service at Rolex SC and I would know in a couple of weeks if the hands were changed too.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
Interestingly, overhaul service at SCs almost always seemed to indicate change of hands. Omega SC did that with my PO, and they showed the parts replaced including the hands packaged in a small container, although I was not able to retrieve the parts as per their policy. I have sent a DJ for overhaul service at Rolex SC and I would know in a couple of weeks if the hands were changed too.

Hi bro, I thought Omega used to return the parts to the customer?

BTW, I did some inquiries, and it seems that its industry standard to replace hands along with overhaul as they don't want to risk the old hands falling off due to damage to the post when removing it.
Seiko fan.....

Offline D'Andy

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 03:33:04 PM »
Hi bro, I thought Omega used to return the parts to the customer?

Nope, they showed me the parts changed; but they didn't let me have it. I asked about it and it was a policy. As explained, the hands were actually not faulty so this was to prevent any onward sale of the hands to outside watch shops whom could then use it for parts.

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 12:42:59 AM »
It is seem pretty standard watch hands need to be replace once it was dismantle from the movement for servicing. I think the hands might get loose if it use again.

Offline dannyojw

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 01:53:43 PM »
this is 1 piece of useful info, thanks alot guys :)