Author Topic: End Game Motivation - Watch Collecting  (Read 4483 times)

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
End Game Motivation - Watch Collecting
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:19:02 PM »
Looking forward to add some Omega, Rolex, Breitling, Panerai and Zenith to my collection.

For now. I buy cheapplak watch first

I see many of you already hit "end game", so what next for your guys? what is to motivation to continue? since you already owned your grail....

2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline dualcarb

Re: End Game Motivation - Watch Collecting
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:19:24 PM »
 Brother, there is no end game...no "grail" and no such thing as having "completed" your collection. This is a black hole of no return. An addiction of which no known cure is yet available.

You will flip, you will look and you will have this obsession to keep looking at the wrist of the person standing next to you. Be it when you are lining up at the bank, having a meal at a restaurant or even picking up groceries at your local pasar malam. You will be here at this forum, searching online at other forums and reading articles off such sites such as Hodinkee and the likes of it.

There is no such thing as a cheap watch...you will only know the love that you have for this tiny little mechanical thing strapped to your wrist, ticking away, doing nothing but telling you the time. In other cases having other complications. But then again, does it even matter? You will constantly be looking, searching and longing for something else other than what is on your wrist.

In any event...enjoy your journey...make new friends along the way. Talk with fellow watch lovers. Fraternise with them...learn new things and broaden your knowledge.

I will never have my "grail". I will always be longing for another, and it doesn't matter if it is cheap or expensive. I only know that I love watches.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 06:19:11 AM »
Brother, there is no end game...no "grail" and no such thing as having "completed" your collection. This is a black hole of no return. An addiction of which no known cure is yet available.

You will flip, you will look and you will have this obsession to keep looking at the wrist of the person standing next to you. Be it when you are lining up at the bank, having a meal at a restaurant or even picking up groceries at your local pasar malam. You will be here at this forum, searching online at other forums and reading articles off such sites such as Hodinkee and the likes of it.

There is no such thing as a cheap watch...you will only know the love that you have for this tiny little mechanical thing strapped to your wrist, ticking away, doing nothing but telling you the time. In other cases having other complications. But then again, does it even matter? You will constantly be looking, searching and longing for something else other than what is on your wrist.

In any event...enjoy your journey...make new friends along the way. Talk with fellow watch lovers. Fraternise with them...learn new things and broaden your knowledge.

I will never have my "grail". I will always be longing for another, and it doesn't matter if it is cheap or expensive. I only know that I love watches.

Well said bro  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Anyway......I'm also like that already......  :Blue:
Seiko fan.....

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
Looking forward to add some Omega, Rolex, Breitling, Panerai and Zenith to my collection.

For now. I buy cheapplak watch first

I see many of you already hit "end game", so what next for your guys? what is to motivation to continue? since you already owned your grail....

Bro, you are really a die hard Stowa fan.   :Cheers:     Btw, I have only one Stowa in my collection.

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 10:10:46 AM »

Well said bro!  :Cheers:

That's why I have already owned more than 15++ various brand now and the number is keeping on.... :HammerHead:

Offline Everdying

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 11:13:11 AM »
there's no end game.
its just one big circle.

from entry lvl to high end, back to entry lvl and all over again.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 11:29:17 AM »
Round and round the merry go round goes.....
Seiko fan.....

Offline Kesharoo

well said dualcarb!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »
I think some 30+ watches have passed through my hands over 15 years and still I am buying and selling. I don't think it will end, even if you get your grail, another will come. Its human nature, never enough to satisfy needs....

Offline roystock

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
I hope to reach my watch collecting end game soon after this round of consolidation.
I bought and sold around 30 watches over the past 3 years. With my intensity, it is a little tiring. + nothing much excite me nowadays

Offline Everdying

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 12:33:11 PM »
i'm waiting for android wear to mature by end of this yr :P

Offline AbbasHabshee

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 01:24:32 PM »
I hope to reach my watch collecting end game soon after this round of consolidation.
I bought and sold around 30 watches over the past 3 years. With my intensity, it is a little tiring. + nothing much excite me nowadays

That was my perception few years back, trust me once something specifically in your demand came out and it attracts you so much it hurts. Im sure you would consider flipping/trading/buying again haha. I have to admit that some of the members here are actually right. A true watch lover wont stop. There's no stop button, its just that hard Lol

Offline stnet

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »
If you're checking MWF frequently, there is no stopping..

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »
hahah. ok, buying more Stowa.........
2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline RRL

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »
My personal journey of mechanical watches for the past four years...

It started with Rolex 116710 GMT II. Loved the watch and still do, although less love than before. Since then, I have bought other Rolexes, got to know Zenith, IWC, Tudor, Panerai, and traded out most of them.

Also, through these watches, I realise that my taste change from time to time. Today, I don't like wearing watches that come with date because I need to adjust that at least once every two months. And I don't like manual winding watches.

That said, I still like to collect these watches with dates, and manual winding ones if I believe there is "value" in these watches.

So you're going to start your own journey in your own way. Have a great one, my friend:)

Offline Kerry1136

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 06:13:10 AM »
So true...there is no end-game.

I started with a ML dual GMT and I told myself its one crazy price to pay and to tell my self to stop indulging.

Few years later I have divers, german pieces, another diver and now I'm thinking to flip one of those so I can fund for another watch I'm eyeing.

And yes....you do tend to look at other people ...not appearance but their wrists!

Offline Sky 007

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »
Never end on this game !

Within 7 years I have around 10 watches & all are Swiss made, and the watch I didn't wear & I will let go, upgrade to a better watches.

Within 6 months I bought another 3 watches, like Omega Seamaster Professional preowned, Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Skyfall limited edition preowned & I also found the Rolex Submarine 14060M random serial preowned.

Since I only have 1 hand, I have to let go my seldom wear watches lke Rolex GMT Master II coke & just sold out with good price, I still need to let go another Omega Seamaster 300M & Omega Speedmaster Michael Schumacher Legend Collection, so I only can have the fresh fund to buy my future watches.

So this is never end.........   :Cheers:

Offline dannyojw

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 01:51:06 PM »
NO, never...every pieces were like a deep obsession to me personally. i can just stare at it wholeday like a little baby looking at their milk  :Laughing_on_floor: