Author Topic: To complicate, or not to complicate?  (Read 5860 times)

Offline pleasuresaurus

To complicate, or not to complicate?
« on: November 14, 2020, 08:18:28 AM »

Happy Deepavali folks! Was wondering, about watches and complications. Do u seek out specific complications beyond time/date/day? Why?

Reason I'm asking is, over time, I've realized my tastes for mechanical timepieces are simplifying such that these days I very much prefer clean dials and no dates. Have very little need for things like GMT, moonphase, perp calendar, minute repeater etc. Anything complicated, I would just grab a digital thats easier to set and reset. Also, maintenance is far less. Aside from aethetics and durability, I approach watches from a utilitarian standpoint similar to my electronic gadgets - I rarely buy tech I don't use. But I am genuinely curious to hear from fellow members and their view of owning more complicated pieces.

Offline dualcarb

Re: To complicate, or not to complicate?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 01:59:15 PM »
Similar to you, I am also moving towards simpler watches. No dates or date. I have two manual wind chrono with no date. And the most “complicated” is a GMT. But I wear the watches without dates more. Just wind, set and go...simple

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 03:01:02 PM »
Weirdly enough, I am moving in the opposite direction. I like functional "busy-ness" on the dial these days. Currently own models with chronos/ gmt/ power reserve indicators/ annual calendar.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline c4all

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 03:08:11 PM »
As a beginner, I must say I prefer some complication from my timepieces. My latest craze is the GMT complication on top of the date function. Just love seeing more on the dial.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 04:12:03 PM »
I am not a complicated watch fan too.

But a simple "complication" watch is fine, eg. Non-date alarm watch, chronograph with date, GMT, Thermometer, or jumping hours watches.

Lately, I fond of the thin watch, especially those thin watch with special design on dial or casing.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 04:32:34 PM »
In pre-Covid times, I reckon GMT/UTC - and by extension, worldtime -  would have been a reasonably practical complication especially for frequent travellers or folks working with foreign counterparts. My main gripe is that, depending in the mechanism, its a lil tedious to set or wind. My GMT seems to be sitting in the box these days as a result.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 04:48:56 PM »
Weirdly enough, I am moving in the opposite direction. I like functional "busy-ness" on the dial these days. Currently own models with chronos/ gmt/ power reserve indicators/ annual calendar.

How busy does it get? Like Breitling Navitimer busy or Citizen Navihawk busy? How has ur ownership experience been, from a usage n maintenance standpoint?

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 05:37:01 PM »

How busy does it get? Like Breitling Navitimer busy or Citizen Navihawk busy? How has ur ownership experience been, from a usage n maintenance standpoint?

Busiest I have got is the black PP5960 in steel. Has been all good but would be a pain to service when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 07:25:20 AM »
Hahaha re:service, just have to cross that bridge when u get there saja la bro, can't be helped.

That's a handsome piece right there, stainless steel no less, not a lot of those in the calatrava line I reckon. Must've been tough to track down. To my eyes it does seem a busy dial, but there's considerable effort to make things more coherent. I think it helps that when u want to engage a certain function, u look at a certain part of the watch? Date is north, chronograph is south.

Its somewhat embarassing to say this, but when I looked at this I realised that my knowledge of calendar complications are rather shallow, had to actually sit down n read up on complete/annual/perpetual calendars for a bit. But I suppose that's the point of joining this forum.

Offline kinteru

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 11:05:23 AM »
initially i thought i wanted at least one iconic watch for each 'type' in my collection. time only, diver, chrono. then it changed to kinda wanting vintage too. now i'm heading to a 1 watch collection. we are fickle.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 08:31:39 PM »
Hm, for me, Im in love with power reserve now...helps alot especially for watches that dont sit in the winder...but I certainly prefer clean dials, even with complications (eg: Breitling Navitimers are too busy for me)

I sold an auto chrono I had last year...found not much use for those, and maintenance is a bit more leceh (service intervals shorter as I am advised)...so my current stable has a GMT, No Date, Day-Date (not rolex), and a Power Reserve (daily beater now)...rest are Quartz/Digital/Smart watches...

Offline swleong

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 10:27:33 AM »
the most complicated mechanical watch I have is the Seiko Presage, where there are power reserve and date. And I seldom wear it.

My most no-fuss watch I owned is the Sub 14060M, I wear it quite frequent, and sometimes don't even adjust the time, just treat it as accessory.

Like you, for other complicated functions, I have my G-Shocks to do the jobs. Cheers.

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 10:45:40 AM »
The most complicated movement I own is a GMT and I love it because I have friends & family overseas, it's so much easier for me to just glance over my watch and tell what time it is over there.

Ideally speaking one day I would like to own an annual calendar & moonphase just for the artistic enjoyment aspect of it.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 07:36:27 AM »
.....I wear it quite frequent, and sometimes don't even adjust the time, just treat it as accessory....

i thought i was playing it risky not setting my bezel to 0, but this is next level stuff bro hahaha ;D

but seriously though, I suppose there is a certain sense of elation isn't it, in a simplified timepiece, sans date. Its more a feature than a complication, but I especially appreciate the fact that the 14060M has drilled lugs on them. Makes strap replacement a breeze and appeals to the tool nature of the piece.

Offline kinteru

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 11:10:27 AM »
but is bezel considered a complication?

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »
Hmmm no, I would assume complications would be specific to the movement itself.

Offline swleong

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 06:49:33 AM »

Except maybe watches like Rolex Sky Dweller, where i consider its bezel also a complication.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 07:09:41 PM »
I like complications. Time only 3 hand seems boring unless is dress watch. Even worse when time only with no ticking seconds hand.

So started with GMT telling another timezone but then wanted something to fiddle with so very much into chronographs.

Now growing an interest in annual and hopefully perpetual in future.

I would love an annual calendar with chronograph some day

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 09:59:51 AM »
Even worse when time only with no ticking seconds hand.

At that rate i reckon u must not like Meistersinger very much  ;D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »
Even worse when time only with no ticking seconds hand.

At that rate i reckon u must not like Meistersinger very much  ;D

Interesting look but no thanks. Watching snails crawl isn't one of my hobbies...

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline roystock

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 12:29:07 PM »
Broadly, I prefer 3 handers and GMT to the more complicated watches for a few reasons.
1. I always prefer thinner watches
2. Setting up and servicing a complicated watches can be troublesome and slightly more costly
3. It is easier to read the simple watches and
4. Complicated watches are generally more expensive.

That said,  I will love to own a Patek perpetual calendar over any simple 3 handers anyday, if its price is xxx% cheaper. So I guess prices do affect my preference

Offline dpkong

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 08:59:33 PM »
So true..

As we age, some complications are becoming less important and we would just like a nice easy to read PP annual calendar on the wrist...

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 08:05:44 AM »
Out of curiosity, are tourbillons of any particular value to fellow forumers?  Doen't have to be the premium western ones, even the Seagull one. Just sumthing to stare at and get lost in.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 10:00:39 AM »
Out of curiosity, are tourbillons of any particular value to fellow forumers?  Doen't have to be the premium western ones, even the Seagull one. Just sumthing to stare at and get lost in.

Whilst it does have its purpose, I feel that tourbillons are something of a gimmick. Will get tired of it soon enough.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2020, 10:49:46 AM »
In between tourbillon and minute repeater, I would regard repeater as a more refined complication.

Tourbillon technicality is not there.

My simple logic is there many Chinese tourbillon movement but there is none Chinese repeater. :Laughing_on_floor: