Author Topic: Change ROLEX dials  (Read 5442 times)

Offline dpkong

Change ROLEX dials
« on: September 24, 2020, 08:31:55 AM »

Has anyone asked at the ROLEX Service Center if you could change the dial and/or bezel on your ROLEX watch to a different color and what it would cost? Of course the dial/bezel must be a an available color for that model and not another model.

For example,

1. change steel Explorer II dial from white to black or vice-versa

2. change steel GMT II bezel from black to blue/black

3. change steel Sky-Dweller from black to white or blue

4. change a steel Submariner dial/bezel from black to green

Offline ethan89

Re: Change ROLEX dials
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 09:28:10 AM »

Has anyone asked at the ROLEX Service Center if you could change the dial and/or bezel on your ROLEX watch to a different color and what it would cost? Of course the dial/bezel must be a an available color for that model and not another model.

For example,

1. change steel Explorer II dial from white to black or vice-versa

2. change steel GMT II bezel from black to blue/black

3. change steel Sky-Dweller from black to white or blue

4. change a steel Submariner dial/bezel from black to green
I think RSC will only change your parts according to the reference number, for example you cannot request to change your black bezel to green bezel/green dial, 116610LN will never become 116610LV or vise versa.

In order to transform a white dial explorer II to black version, changing dial alone won't make it, you'll need to change the hands set also. 

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 10:29:19 AM »

I suppose you cannot change 116610LN to 116610LV but the 216570 or 326934 is not specific to a particular color. In requesting a change of dial colour, I would expect the hands to be changed as well to suit, if necessary.

Question is will the service centre do it?

Offline c4all

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 02:07:16 PM »
I know for the Sky-dweller, they wont. A friend of mine asked. Reason being the differing reference numbers. The white dial is 326934-0001 whilst the blue is 326934-0003.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »
I know for the Sky-dweller, they wont. A friend of mine asked. Reason being the differing reference numbers. The white dial is 326934-0001 whilst the blue is 326934-0003.

This brings on a different view. I don't see the extra numbers on the warranty card?

Offline c4all

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 06:48:40 PM »

This brings on a different view. I don't see the extra numbers on the warranty card?

Apparently it is there on the Rolex website when you configure the watch. I think a few got the idea of buying a white sky-dweller and asking for a dial swap to the blue.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 07:49:15 PM »
Best to just ring up the RSC to check. Lots of different information around. In the other forums, some could do it while others can’t. Maybe it is the differing policy of the RSC in different regions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline c4all

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 05:42:50 AM »
Best to just ring up the RSC to check. Lots of different information around. In the other forums, some could do it while others can’t. Maybe it is the differing policy of the RSC in different regions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The different policies in different region maybe the case. My friend's queries on the Sky-dweller was in the US. However, I saw my boss swapping his dial for a different configuration for his white gold Daytona before. He said RSC Hong Kong did it for him. Also saw my uncle's GMT 2 (not ceramic) swapped out the bezel before during service at RSC Singapore.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 05:52:03 AM by c4all »

Offline RA_2366

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 04:54:52 PM »
They used to do it a few years back. Now, they will only change parts that originally came with the watch.

Offline samuelk

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 07:56:52 AM »
Anyone checked with the Rolex Service Centre here in Malaysia if it can be done?
It will be interesting if it is possible..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 09:00:33 AM »
Anyone checked with the Rolex Service Centre here in Malaysia if it can be done?
It will be interesting if it is possible..

This is what I was hoping for.. someone who was nearby and could walk in to ask.

And will you need to change the hands as well because once they come off, they won't reuse it?

Offline shzrn

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 07:24:57 AM »
If I'm not mistaken they can but the set comes with new sets of hands I think and RSC will take your old parts, you can't keep them. But I guess best to check with them in case they changed their policies.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
Many years ago, it used to be possible. Sent the GMT to service and swapped out the faded Pepsi alu bezel for new Coke bezel (can't remember which but it was one for the other), and they acceded to my request to keep the faded bezel. Was later offered a good sum by grey resellers for the faded bezel. Two or three years back, asked about doing a dial change for my Daytona and ceramic bezel swap for my Sub, but they informed that they have to stick directly with the production records.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Cocas

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 07:07:39 AM »
RSC will not only stick to the original specification of your watch part. They also keeps your high priced old and beautifully aged part and never return to you.

I got the Cellini lacquer blue dial (about 50 yrs old already) and once got into RSC, it's gone  :Blue:.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 12:21:19 PM »
RSC will not only stick to the original specification of your watch part. They also keeps your high priced old and beautifully aged part and never return to you.

I got the Cellini lacquer blue dial (about 50 yrs old already) and once got into RSC, it's gone  :Blue:.

I thought you could request them not to change dials or hands during service?

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 12:42:50 PM »
I thought you could request them not to change dials or hands during service?

Yes, owners could specifically request for this during servicing. Even when they want to effect the change of dial, it should be reflected in the initial quotation.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |