Author Topic: Good time to buy Rolex or wait after Covid19  (Read 9948 times)

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
Re: Good time to buy Rolex or wait after Covid19
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2020, 10:07:35 PM »
Times are ridiculous. I asked one of my AD for TT Sky Dweller; was told no stock, to "shortcut" I was advised to buy solid gold DD40. Hahah, made me laugh. I refuse to play stupid games like this. I'm not even asking for a "hot" model, so at this juncture, I'm not even going to bother.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 08:15:28 AM »
And AD set their line according to the secondary market price, they will never let you win in every situation.

That's why I said grey dealers will never be completely wipe out. Buy grey and used the time you saved to earned back the money you overpaid while enjoying the watch, cheaper than playing any AD game.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2020, 09:36:46 AM »
Either buy more from AD (100k+ to be eligible in the list) to owned a Rolex or pay cut throat price to grey. That’s the only way now

Offline dpkong

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2020, 09:38:05 AM »
And AD set their line according to the secondary market price, they will never let you win in every situation.

That's why I said grey dealers will never be completely wipe out. Buy grey and used the time you saved to earned back the money you overpaid while enjoying the watch, cheaper than playing any AD game.

You look at it as an AD game to win or lose so it is likely every watch purchase is an "investment" in that game.

Others may look at it as a long term acquisition of interesting pieces. Having a good AD means you get a Customer ID and purchase history. That purchase history is important and you get special privileges with it. You will likely not only be buying steel sport ROLEX but probably other brands as well.

A lot of members here complain that their AD sucks and can't get desirable models after buying a few watches. I guess everyone has their side of the story. There may be many others who are satisfied to have a good AD and keeping quiet. The key would be to be finding the right person in the right AD to deal with.

Grey dealers will never be wiped out no matter how hard people try. In the older days, I always enjoyed my visits there when I wanted to find an older discontinued model or a good deal on a new watch. But times have changed and everything is inflated. They have every brand new model but prices are 2 to 3 times retail price of course. And regardless how much you spend before, you still pay their market price. Maybe they'll knock a little off market price if you've spent a million or two... but if you had that much to spend why not go to an AD?

It's nice to be able to look at your RM110k Daytona on the wrist and be able to show it to your friends and saying that it's a good purchase due to the time value of money but it is truly just an excuse to justify and console yourself that you overpaid for a watch and now need to work extra to make the extra RM60k you put into it.

:Cheers:

Offline W3ll

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2020, 09:47:00 AM »
Times are ridiculous. I asked one of my AD for TT Sky Dweller; was told no stock, to "shortcut" I was advised to buy solid gold DD40. Hahah, made me laugh. I refuse to play stupid games like this. I'm not even asking for a "hot" model, so at this juncture, I'm not even going to bother.

What nonsense games indeed!
Still remember seeing the TT sky dwellers in May off the shelves

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2020, 01:22:30 PM »
Walked into a few ADs this past weekend to browse, as expected, they all have mostly just Lady TT Datejust and some Men's TT Datejust left. I questioned how is it that even with the pandemic and MCO, with no tourists visiting Malaysia, the demand is still so high; the SA simply said that I was mistaken, they do not rely business from the tourists, and that the Malaysian local buying power and demand alone is strong enough to wipe out all SS Sport models - and even Datejusts.
Of course she could hiding certain facts from me - as I'm just another walk-in customer.

Visited the grey dealers, they're all simultaneously shooting up the prices in an insane fashion. I really wonder if people are buying at the prices they're setting.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2020, 02:21:29 PM »
No one else see the trend of watches being sold by dealers in grey market, only to be listed a week later by another dealer with a higher price (usually 5k more)? While I am certain there are *some* genuine buyers, I think this cannibalism is just toxic.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2020, 03:05:07 PM »

Visited the grey dealers, they're all simultaneously shooting up the prices in an insane fashion. I really wonder if people are buying at the prices they're setting.

Plenty of 'investors" out there. Not so easy to wear 500g of gold around your neck. And just looking at the short term appreciation, most jump in just by listening to others. Pity this group if the price correction comes.

Then there's plenty of black money moving around in Malaysia and watches are easy to move. They don't care about premiums since it's easy money.

Another batch are the lucky ones who just have to pick the watch they want and Papa will transfer the money.

Offline shzrn

• Freshie
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2020, 05:11:53 PM »
Looks like another round of MCO so I guess pushing any purchase decision later would be prudent unless of course MAS(mesti ayah sponsor)

Offline dpkong

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2020, 05:19:48 PM »
Looks like another round of MCO so I guess pushing any purchase decision later would be prudent unless of course MAS(mesti ayah sponsor)

Or you could find a Sugar Mami...

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline shzrn

• Freshie
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2020, 05:27:40 PM »

Or you could find a Sugar Mami...

:Laughing_on_floor:

Looking at how things are going right now, I'm keeping any options open. Hahahaha. Stay safe.

Offline ace5601

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 09:40:52 AM »
no income to buy hahaha

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2020, 02:22:20 PM »
there are no different to me be it now or after covid19... there are always no stocks... :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline c4all

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2020, 06:26:20 PM »
Best time to sell a Rolex  :Laughing_on_floor: I suppose a good time to buy a Rolex now is when you can afford one at the grey market dealer or you get lucky at the ADs.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2020, 06:30:18 PM »
Best time to sell a Rolex  :Laughing_on_floor: I suppose a good time to buy a Rolex now is when you can afford one at the grey market dealer or you get lucky at the ADs.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy