Author Topic: Good time to buy Rolex or wait after Covid19  (Read 9987 times)

Offline bedazzle44

• Freshie
Good time to buy Rolex or wait after Covid19
« on: September 01, 2020, 09:28:14 PM »
What do you think if this is the best time to buy Rolex or wait for the supply to restore after Covid-19 is under control? I noticed that the price skyrocket compare to overseas stock but we could not travel to buy overseas. Despite of the impact of Covid-19 i.e some get retrenched, business went burst, faced financial difficulties and hence was forced to sell of beloved collection for survival , there are some lucky one managed to reap profit in this dire situation and in a way spoil the domestic pricing.

I knew we can't predict the future, but perhaps mind just sharing your 2 cents of thought? For me I was initially thinking this is indeed the best time but I was wrong as the price seems to shoot up tremendously since Covid-19.

Offline Cocas

Re: Good time to buy Rolex or wait after Covid19
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 09:36:17 PM »
I was waiting Rolex AD starts selling the SS Sport Model to commoner like me since MCO from March till extended RMCO....

I will keep waiting.... As I don't mind to pay extra to Rolex AD than to grey market dealer.

Offline avabobatea

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 04:05:18 AM »
I doubt majority potential Rolex buyers are affected by MCO.
Some more the 6 months defer payments. Imagine no salary cut and retrenchment but no need to pay instalment 6 months.... extra cash.

Went to AD with thinking that MCO less tourist less spending, maybe I will have a better chance. End up just filling the forever waiting list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 05:28:19 AM »
Some more the 6 months defer payments. Imagine no salary cut and retrenchment but no need to pay instalment 6 months.... extra cash.

Went to AD with thinking that MCO less tourist less spending, maybe I will have a better chance. End up just filling the forever waiting list.

You are absolutely right. Those that buy Rolex are not affected adversely by the MCO. Other brands may experience a dip in sales but Rolex? I dont see that happening.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline ethan89

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 08:48:56 AM »
Good time to buy was the very beginning of MCO, the grey market prices was indeed declined, but then when Rolex announced they will be released new 2020 models on September, all the discontinue speculations cause the grey market price shot up again.

If you see the current stock market specifically those glove stocks or medic stocks, people do have cash to spare. One day I asked my friend why did he bought new car and new watch at this moment (during July), he answered, from Top Glove and Supermax.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 07:27:13 PM »
Good time to buy was the very beginning of MCO, the grey market prices was indeed declined, but then when Rolex announced they will be released new 2020 models on September, all the discontinue speculations cause the grey market price shot up again.

If you see the current stock market specifically those glove stocks or medic stocks, people do have cash to spare. One day I asked my friend why did he bought new car and new watch at this moment (during July), he answered, from Top Glove and Supermax.

This is precisely the problem with the world today.. when the stock market is treated like a gambling den instead of a place to invest in long term dividends for investors and working capital for good companies.

If people use the moratorium as a means of extra cash to spend elsewhere, then serves them right when they end up paying more interest. Did you think it was going to be an interest-free holiday? And I don't think the majority of people are buying ROLEX using money meant for instalment repayments. That would be foolish indeed.

To the original question, if you're buying from an AD then anytime is a good time to buy. Apparently, ADs have been receiving very little stock because there were no shipments from factory for some time. I hear the new models may show up as early as October.

If you made your money playing the stock markets, then it won't hurt buying from grey dealers now where some models are practically 2.5 times RRP or more assuming the dealer will even sell you his stock while prices are volatile.

Offline apache0909

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 03:38:10 PM »
What do you think if this is the best time to buy Rolex or wait for the supply to restore after Covid-19 is under control? I noticed that the price skyrocket compare to overseas stock but we could not travel to buy overseas. Despite of the impact of Covid-19 i.e some get retrenched, business went burst, faced financial difficulties and hence was forced to sell of beloved collection for survival , there are some lucky one managed to reap profit in this dire situation and in a way spoil the domestic pricing.

I knew we can't predict the future, but perhaps mind just sharing your 2 cents of thought? For me I was initially thinking this is indeed the best time but I was wrong as the price seems to shoot up tremendously since Covid-19.

If you are buying it to wear, I doubt the price fluctuations will affect you much in my opinion.

Offline c4all

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 07:29:45 PM »
I noticed that Rolex prices are currently trending upwards so I suppose so long as one has money, a good time to purchase a Rolex is always the present. An experience I had was when i bought my current Submariner a year ago. Although it was above retail at grey market dealers, I took the gamble and purchased it after consulting my friend who was into watches before me. I was told that it was discontinued recently and that prices have gone from peak to peak. In my opinion, so long as i do not lose on the purchase price; I am fine with the premium. Life is too short to wait.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 07:42:42 PM »
I noticed that Rolex prices are currently trending upwards so I suppose so long as one has money, a good time to purchase a Rolex is always the present. An experience I had was when i bought my current Submariner a year ago. Although it was above retail at grey market dealers, I took the gamble and purchased it after consulting my friend who was into watches before me. I was told that it was discontinued recently and that prices have gone from peak to peak. In my opinion, so long as i do not lose on the purchase price; I am fine with the premium. Life is too short to wait.

I can agree with this sentiment. Provided one has the money and truly wants a Rolex, one should not hesitate. Time is better off spent on trying to recoup the money spent on the watch.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 08:33:00 PM »

I can agree with this sentiment. Provided one has the money and truly wants a Rolex, one should not hesitate. Time is better off spent on trying to recoup the money spent on the watch.

Forever putting the nose on the grind for the select few?

Offline nctt1971

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 10:22:30 PM »
Rolex watches are always on the uptrend. Especially those sports model. If u see one u like just grab it and start enjoying the watch. I once let one go and regretted it. Just DO IT.

Offline jmur3

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 11:29:21 AM »

Agree with this, cos even for the non sports model, prices will increase annually too at the ADs.

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 03:15:41 PM »
Being a noob in the Rolex world I knew I had no shot at getting any SS Sport models at MSRP so I pulled the trigger on a Sub Date in 2019 and a BLNR right after MCO. Both above retail of course but I'm happy that I did.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 02:00:36 PM »
Unless u pay for grey and play their game

Average hardworking joe or top executive got no chance to buy even a sub now at AD.

That’s terrible...

Offline memphisto

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 04:00:45 PM »
Totally agreed. The grey seems like the only hope now..

Offline ethan89

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 05:24:31 PM »
To be honest, grey is cheaper than AD although it sound stupid, consider you need to play that AD game, feeding AD in cash annually just to get one or two allocations.

And genuine Rolex is cheaper than any replica Rolex out there, sound stupid but simply because authentic Rolex will appreciate in price and replica is not, do the math.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 06:17:43 PM »
To be honest, grey is cheaper than AD although it sound stupid, consider you need to play that AD game, feeding AD in cash annually just to get one or two allocations.

And genuine Rolex is cheaper than any replica Rolex out there, sound stupid but simply because authentic Rolex will appreciate in price and replica is not, do the math.

Grey is cheaper than AD? Serious?

If you're willing to spend RM95k on a green Sub, why not go speak to an AD and tell him to give you a package of Submariner and another 2 steel Datejust? You get 3 watches instead of one and your name goes on record as a customer. Only downside is you probably can't get the watch immediately. But you're now recognized as a customer and if you buy more, your total tally goes up and you have a better chance of getting other models as well.

If you bought a watch at the grey dealer at 2x or 3x retail price, what special preference do you get?

Offline ethan89

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 07:21:19 PM »

If you're willing to spend RM95k on a green Sub, why not go speak to an AD and tell him to give you a package of Submariner and another 2 steel Datejust? You get 3 watches instead of one and your name goes on record as a customer. Only downside is you probably can't get the watch immediately. But you're now recognized as a customer and if you buy more, your total tally goes up and you have a better chance of getting other models as well.

If you bought a watch at the grey dealer at 2x or 3x retail price, what special preference do you get?
Even steel Datejust is unobtainable (wait list) these day, display are all TT. The number of DJ you buy in order to get a mere submariner is uncertain, the money you paid will definitely more than grey price, unless you think the more the merrier.
Sport models (or any models taken out from their safe) will not accumulate to your purchase record. I'm not those top dogs who can sapu all the dj/dd in the display window periodically and sit back waiting for call, I just couldn't afford to play the game like this.
True story, I walked into an AD admitted to the SA saying that I willing to fork out 80k to 100k, can I get any prof model, the SA answered there are thousand of people in their cust. list (only that particular AD) already spent more that that, those who already spent half a million, got a few hundred. Ton of players in the game, how to fulfil and satisfy all.  :-[

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 07:25:02 PM »

As for bundle sale, if I were to buy a package of GMT II BLRO + 2 steel Datejust, that's a route I would definitely consider, but the problem is that I'm not sure if the ADs would actually allow me to pick the two SS Datejust, I kind of doubt it. In my mind I'd think they ask me to buy Cellini or Day-Date or something - anything that is hard for them to sell. Nevertheless, that's a great advice, I may just try to ask them some time. Since I really want a BLRO but RM80K is just ridiculous.

It also depends on the type of collector/buyer the person is. For me, I simply do not have the money to amass a collection of more than 4-5 watches. So I just go for the ones that I long the most (which also happen to be SS Sport Rolexes...) I think one of the reasons why these SS Sport Rolexes skyrocketed over the past years is because there're many new buyers like myself, who's got a little bit of extra money on the side but simply couldn't afford the TT or precious metal Rolexes but barely able to afford the SS range, or even with maybe 20-40% premium in the grey market.

That being said, the grey comes into play for guys like me. I do not mind paying 20% to even 40% over MSRP to get a second-hand Sub or BLNR. And I'm glad I did get them via grey before the price spiked to the insanity that is today. Now a BLRO is RM80k, I might as well try my luck at ADs and go for CHNR.

I don't think the insane prices for the new Subs in grey will continue to stay that high though, at least for the black ones. The new LV I don't know, it'll probably stay beyond RM70-80k for quite some time. 

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 07:41:13 PM »
The interesting point is everyone wants the steel sports models, steel Submariner, steel GMT, steel Sky-Dweller...

Why not buy the TT model of the same watch? Can't afford it? But the prices of steel models at grey dealer is much higher than even the TT model at retail. RM110k for steel Daytona? You can afford? Why not buy the solid gold Daytona for RM140k?

ADs notice this and wonder why you must insist on steel.....

I know someone who had a different experience, he kept asking an AD for a TT Sky-Dweller and 2 weeks later, the AD said no stock but can offer a steel model with black dial, want or not?

Good luck hunting.. sometimes the hunt is better than the kill..

:Cheers:

Offline ethan89

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 07:57:37 PM »
The interesting point is everyone wants the steel sports models, steel Submariner, steel GMT, steel Sky-Dweller...

Why not buy the TT model of the same watch? Can't afford it? But the prices of steel models at grey dealer is much higher than even the TT model at retail. RM110k for steel Daytona? You can afford? Why not buy the solid gold Daytona for RM140k?

I know someone who had a different experience, he kept asking an AD for a TT Sky-Dweller and 2 weeks later, the AD said no stock but can offer a steel model with black dial, want or not?

Steel for daily beater and most importantly, appreciation.

Having said that, TT or PM sport models also knowns as rare species just like SS, I don't mind paying 50k-60k for a TT Daytona though.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 07:58:31 PM »
SD Ss ain’t that popular and normal AD has got no problem to offer u...

Can only dream on hoping for AD to offer u Ss Daytona , Sub or GMt...

Ss Daytona grey at rm110k, u can say it’s insane , but I just witnessed a few sold out at rm110k in two days . Don’t expect price to come down this 4-5 years

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 08:09:55 PM »

Yeah I definitely see your point. For me personally the reason why I choose SS is for 1. the price range and 2. the aesthetics. I simply don't think I can handle gold in my daily attire, although I'm in my late 30's now. The only TT watch that I am now considering is the GMT Rootbeer, and that's only because its MSRP is literally lower than BLRO grey price.

For the record, I did not buy any of my SS Sport models at the current October 2020 grey price. I paid roughly 20-40% over MSRP for them. This is why as much as I want to add BLRO to my collection, I'd never pay RM80K (100% over retail) for it.

The Ceramic Daytona 116500LN is another story for me. To me, there is no other substitute for it. The reason why is that it is just aesthetically very similar to the vintage 6263 type look, yet it's got all the new technology upgrade. It is basically my grail watch, nothing else (besides the vintage 6263) came close to it. So I pulled the trigger, that was before it reached RM100K+ though, no regrets.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2020, 08:19:27 PM »

Ss Daytona grey at rm110k, u can say it’s insane , but I just witnessed a few sold out at rm110k in two days . Don’t expect price to come down this 4-5 years
According to SA, if you want to get a SS Daytona, you'll need to spend at least 100k and wait (till the end of the world). Time value of money, 110k is consider a bargain.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2020, 08:55:00 PM »

Steel for daily beater and most importantly, appreciation.

Having said that, TT or PM sport models also knowns as rare species just like SS, I don't mind paying 50k-60k for a TT Daytona though.

Everyone playing a game..

Buyers all want to play the appreciation/investment game....   so who can blame the AD want to play the "sell only to big spender" game?

I'm sure a lot of people think that whatever they pay now for a Submariner on the grey market they can sell later for profit but don't forget that it's still a gamble, and no matter how good the odds may be now, it is still a gamble.

Steel Sky-Dweller not popular? Please send me the contact for the AD who has no problem to offer one.

Demand and supply so if there is demand for the 116500 at RM110k, then the grey will sell it to you at that price. How to blame AD and grey dealer when eventually it is us, the end user buyer that drives the prices up?