Author Topic: Is this forum dying?  (Read 12173 times)

Offline gunsnroses

Re: Is this forum dying?
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 08:37:36 AM »
I am an ardent follower of this forum and have bought and sold in the trade corner as well.

My take on the current watch trend is that the male watches are way too big for my wrist. I have a 6" wrist, pretty common for Asian men who are within 55-65kg in weight I believe. I find that the ideal size of a watch on my wrist is 36mm. Anything bigger does not look good.

I have been rather disappointed that most watches released nowadays are nowhere near 36mm size, the smallest is 38mm and those that happen to be in 36mm are always marketed towards women. Thus I have resorted to looking at vintage military watches which are around 36mm in size.

This forum is very informative but most topics are based around newer watches which are of no interest to me due to the size, hence, I have not posted here in a long time.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 02:07:37 PM »
With regards to posting pics on the forum; understand that this is a lite operation and if the site were to host pictures, it would quickly consume too much bandwidth. There are many alternative solutions out there, which even work better than Photobucket. I use imgur (http://imgur.com/) myself and after the initial (small) learning curve, life goes on as normal.

Btw, funny how a thread about the forum dying putting lots of familiar names here all of a sudden. I guess we have all reverted to just browsing in on here.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2020, 11:57:27 PM »
With regards to posting pics on the forum; understand that this is a lite operation and if the site were to host pictures, it would quickly consume too much bandwidth. There are many alternative solutions out there, which even work better than Photobucket. I use imgur (http://imgur.com/) myself and after the initial (small) learning curve, life goes on as normal.

Btw, funny how a thread about the forum dying putting lots of familiar names here all of a sudden. I guess we have all reverted to just browsing in on here.

I think ever since there talk of rats from a certain agency coming around sniffing in our forums looking at the pictures, and who owns what, a lot of owners have suddenly hidden their juicy watches from view. Almost everyone have turned to posting the Seikos and Casios.... except for a few taikos...

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 12:57:53 PM »
Come. Let's play a game.

All MWF members to post at least 4 times a month.
not 4 times a day? lol....

wahlau.. you think you still in your 20s kah..

sigh... now only I realise I not longer 20s...LOL...

Offline Cocas

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2020, 01:39:42 PM »

I think ever since there talk of rats from a certain agency coming around sniffing in our forums looking at the pictures, and who owns what, a lot of owners have suddenly hidden their juicy watches from view. Almost everyone have turned to posting the Seikos and Casios.... except for a few taikos...

But our forumers here all using weird names, and some emails may not be using the full names in it.
Furthermore, some are even in overseas most of the time.
If the agencies/bureau are digging the info here, they are wasting their resources.

:Cheers:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2020, 02:03:15 PM »

cant agree more but not to worry as I know some of the members here start saving since they are young and maybe some of them are part time goreng pisang hawker...:P

But our forumers here all using weird names, and some emails may not be using the full names in it.
Furthermore, some are even in overseas most of the time.
If the agencies/bureau are digging the info here, they are wasting their resources.

:Cheers:

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2020, 06:23:45 PM »
I did try to post a few in the past but all I had was dead silence, it's a bit like talking to myself. I only visit this forum occasionally but frequent more active ones elsewhere for more discussions. I'm more than happy to chat about Vacheron Constantin watches if anyone is interested lol.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2020, 06:54:59 PM »
@kelv_w bro.

It's ok. If you read my threads and posts, there are not many replies.

But hey, who knows one day, your
randomly simple kind info sharing, can help someone in future.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Offline dexson

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2020, 07:02:40 PM »
Just want to chime in a reply in show of support to MWF !

I too find it quite difficult to post wristshot here due to photo size. Always trying my best to chime in thoughts on as my posts as I can but there isn't really much new posts around..

Also, I would like to tell new members or those around that there are NO such thing as stupid questions and in fact many questions posted in the watch section brings up lots of discussion albeit its a small topic.

I still come into the forum everyday as it has been a routine for me when I switch on my laptop.

Cheers guys,
Dexson L

Download Tapatalk to upload photos with ease...I also log in everyday to see what is new. In response to what the OP posted...this forum is not dying, it is just filling up with buyers and sellers and nothing much else to post. What IMHO this forum needs, is...more ppl sharing their personal feelings and how that particular watch fits his/her wrists. More photos and more watches for sharing and how it really performs in the real world of the owner instead of what we read on watch magazines etc...I know that there are some forum members who try to keep it alive, like our brother Meor and Cocas...hats off to them and their efforts.

May I suggest that we post a pic of one of our watches...wear it and then share with the rest how that watch wears, how you think it performs, how practical or impractical that watch is for everyday wear, or it is best suited for a particular activity etc...

Just a suggestion...and lets see where it goes...cheers to all and let’s do our bit to make this forum interesting

Patrick

Good point ! Let me take some time to write about a piece that I wore quite alot recently. Stay tuned.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2020, 08:41:03 AM »
I did try to post a few in the past but all I had was dead silence, it's a bit like talking to myself. I only visit this forum occasionally but frequent more active ones elsewhere for more discussions. I'm more than happy to chat about Vacheron Constantin watches if anyone is interested lol.

hey!! I'm hunting for a 49150/B01A white dial if you ever come across one...

and post your VC in the WRUW page

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2020, 03:04:38 PM »

Thanks guys What's WRUW, sorry I'm not familiar with the acronym.

Have you checked out Chrono24? i saw a few 49150/B01A white dials but they are not in Malaysia unfortunately.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2020, 06:24:40 PM »

Thanks guys What's WRUW, sorry I'm not familiar with the acronym.

Have you checked out Chrono24? i saw a few 49150/B01A white dials but they are not in Malaysia unfortunately.

WRUW = what are you wearing   :laugh:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2020, 07:41:57 AM »

Share with us your journey with VC... :)

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2020, 05:46:45 PM »
WRUW - of course! lol Didn't cross my mind for a bit

@dennis.T
Yeah I did, but the thread probably been embedded down in the threads. I may update it again with a recent acquisition. 

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2020, 01:08:44 PM »
Sorry to bring this up but I see very little activity here and was just wondering...
Thought that it would be a vibrant community but it seems that it's not the case.

I thk most of the watch forum are badly affected by the fast and direct response social media like FB and IG. Nowadays is not easy to run a watch forum especially the youngster prefer to interact thru FB/IG/Reddit/Tweeter.

Kuods to those posted in this thread like DC, G.Mac , Cocas, Spider boy ( ya I remember you - gtr guy) and swleong. You guys are the veteran in this forum.

one of the very few moderator still active in this forum is meoramri… kudos to him!!

Hi Dennis hope you are well .. !! and  yes i still own the gtr . lol   :Dancing_banana:

Spot on .. and your were right , couldnt agree enough . Browsing through insta and fb is so quick and instant. Defo a changing game in the society now and especially with this MCO going on and i have to admit, i only get active in this forum when i get myself infront of a proper pc and I've downloaded tapatalk too , however i found the interface slightly unfriendly , sometimes i get bingung .. maybe i needs a bit of time to get used to .

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 09:45:59 AM »
Sorry to bring this up but I see very little activity here and was just wondering...
Thought that it would be a vibrant community but it seems that it's not the case.

I thk most of the watch forum are badly affected by the fast and direct response social media like FB and IG. Nowadays is not easy to run a watch forum especially the youngster prefer to interact thru FB/IG/Reddit/Tweeter.

Kuods to those posted in this thread like DC, G.Mac , Cocas, Spider boy ( ya I remember you - gtr guy) and swleong. You guys are the veteran in this forum.

one of the very few moderator still active in this forum is meoramri… kudos to him!!

Hi Dennis hope you are well .. !! and  yes i still own the gtr . lol   :Dancing_banana:

Spot on .. and your were right , couldnt agree enough . Browsing through insta and fb is so quick and instant. Defo a changing game in the society now and especially with this MCO going on and i have to admit, i only get active in this forum when i get myself infront of a proper pc and I've downloaded tapatalk too , however i found the interface slightly unfriendly , sometimes i get bingung .. maybe i needs a bit of time to get used to .

maybe we can coffee when I visit to land below the wind after the lockdown...hehe

Offline dpkong

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »

maybe we can coffee when I visit to land below the wind after the lockdown...hehe

MWF GTG 2020?

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2020, 09:25:23 AM »

MWF GTG 2020?
Ask the taikor Hanz to arrange then we all fly in... ;D

We still can't travel inter-state right? I lost touch with the Msia CMCO cause I work and stay in Spore...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2020, 11:52:09 AM »

MWF GTG 2020?

We still can't travel inter-state right? I lost touch with the Msia CMCO cause I work and stay in Spore...

Can try apply but only benefit is that we need to quarantine there for 14 days of beer and seafood

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »

MWF GTG 2020?

Good idea... cuti cuti malaysia ,, !  =) 

Can try apply but only benefit is that we need to quarantine there for 14 days of beer and seafood

Offline Cocas

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2020, 07:48:43 PM »
Just in case you guys don't know. Cuti cuti Malaysia for people reside in Malaysia is now dream come true and interstates travelling ban is lifted from today (10 June) onwards.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2020, 07:51:55 PM »
Time to organize GTG?

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2020, 08:59:28 PM »
Time to organize GTG?
i wish bro... i will ask taiko Chris to arrange... my only problem is i stuck in Spore and bloody Spore still under CB really knncb... :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2020, 10:53:04 PM »
Wah!  Good to see so many old timers here!  Most people prefer the instant gratification of posting on IG or FB platforms.  Instant likes and adulation.  I must admit that it was quite satisfying at first but it became hollow and old after a very short time as the whole experience is so shallow and narcissistic.  I really miss the good old days of sharing our knowledge on the forum and reading insightful reviews from all the Sifus.  Yes, we had heated debates about brands, movements, etc but it was always cordial (most of the time) and we learned from the sharing of our experiences. 

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2020, 07:26:29 PM »
Who is old timer?

The trend move away to show off in social media
Discussion on watches is dead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk