Author Topic: Rolex Prices Tanking  (Read 61504 times)

Offline nctt1971

• Freshie
Re: Rolex Prices Tanking
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2020, 05:50:37 PM »
For those who are keen to get one on the scond hand market... this is the time to do so... HK are recovering fast.. and demand will start head north. Local AD no hope..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2020, 06:20:36 PM »
For those who are keen to get one on the scond hand market... this is the time to do so... HK are recovering fast.. and demand will start head north. Local AD no hope..

too late...

Whoever was holding out for prices to tank must be crying now..

Offline c4all

« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »

too late...

Whoever was holding out for prices to tank must be crying now..

Indeed. I was dithering over buying another piece but the MCO meant that money was a bit tight. Then I heard my friend got a 114060 last month at the same price i bought mine a year ago so i thought prices are coming down but boy was i wrong. Now i am the one  :'(

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2020, 09:34:48 PM »
I sold my OP39 114300 White Dial earlier this year...now even that piece went up in price cos discontinued...crazy world...

Offline joink

« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »
Are Rolex prices shooting up in Malaysia alone or worldwide? I normally use luxury goods to gauge how much hot money there is in the market.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2020, 07:22:09 PM »
Globally prices are increasing for Rolex in the grey market. Singapore, Australia, HK, USA are some that I have observed first hand. Not too sure about Europe. Some of the pieces such as the Daytona, Submariner and GMT are moving quite quickly too at these high prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2020, 06:35:29 PM »
Are Rolex prices shooting up in Malaysia alone or worldwide? I normally use luxury goods to gauge how much hot money there is in the market.

So you're the desginated hot money detector??

:Laughing_on_floor:

Though to be fair, a lot of buyers out there are those who worry the currency will fail and and with gold at the all time high, diversifying some funds to ROLEX investments is the next logical step, if you look at how they've been appreciating on the market.

Those who can't afford it now are sitting outside the fence ogling and crying foul at the ADs. Some others will be hanging on to their savings and hope it doesn't become banana currency and that the used market will crash and they can finally afford their favorite model. The question is will it still be a favorite model when it's no longer trading at or above retail price?

Offline joink

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2020, 04:44:58 AM »

So you're the desginated hot money detector??

:Laughing_on_floor:

Though to be fair, a lot of buyers out there are those who worry the currency will fail and and with gold at the all time high, diversifying some funds to ROLEX investments is the next logical step, if you look at how they've been appreciating on the market.

Those who can't afford it now are sitting outside the fence ogling and crying foul at the ADs. Some others will be hanging on to their savings and hope it doesn't become banana currency and that the used market will crash and they can finally afford their favorite model. The question is will it still be a favorite model when it's no longer trading at or above retail price?

lol far for it  ;D

It is true some flock to ROLEX as a safe "heaven" but not too sure of the quantum. You guys are more experience in this scene. Do you see similar jump/trend in prices for ROLEX during the last down turns? Watches as an investment has always been a huge debate.

My thoughts revolve around the notion that even models like DJ are flying off the shelves….suspect these are being bought by the masses, like how retail investors have doubled in the share market and fueling it to a certain degree.

Well the saying goes, when the general public starts talking about it, be careful. Seeing it with stocks and ROLEX now. Seen it with BitCoin and properties.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2020, 10:49:42 AM »

lol far for it  ;D

It is true some flock to ROLEX as a safe "heaven" but not too sure of the quantum. You guys are more experience in this scene. Do you see similar jump/trend in prices for ROLEX during the last down turns? Watches as an investment has always been a huge debate.

My thoughts revolve around the notion that even models like DJ are flying off the shelves….suspect these are being bought by the masses, like how retail investors have doubled in the share market and fueling it to a certain degree.

Well the saying goes, when the general public starts talking about it, be careful. Seeing it with stocks and ROLEX now. Seen it with BitCoin and properties.

Last time in 1997 and 2008, luxury watches were not such a hit among the masses and only a few models like vintage Submariner, Kermit and Daytona were sought after by WIS collectors. Now after reading the first few pages of "Watch Investing for Dummies", every Tom, Dick and Harry is taking out money from stock markets or savings with poor returns and banking on ROLEX. At first they go for the hot sports models and when the grey dealers price it up too high, they start going for Air-King and Datejusts as well.

Another possibility is that most ROLEX sport models are priced in the budget category, maybe not for Malaysian average salaries since most steel sports models are in the RM30k-40k bracket at retail price, which translates to about USD10k at most or about SGD10k which isn't a lot at all.

If you're thinking whether the bubble will burst, opinions are that people will start to feel the crunch late this year maybe around November and get really bad around March/April 2021 .....

If there really is a major economic downturn, I doubt you will see a free fall in pricing. Demand will drop for sure, more pieces will show up for sale at ADs and pricing will be corrected to more realistic levels instead of 3x retail price. But a luxury watch is a tangible asset and not like Bitcoin so it's not really a good comparison. And the majority of people buying a luxury watch aren't going to be affected by the economic downturn. Of course there will be "investors" who need to sell their "investments" if they need the cashflow but don't expect there will be a lot of those around and the desperate ones will end up at pawnshops or grey dealers anyway.

As it is, some people have already been burned when buying the Patek 5711 at peak prices and even some AP models but of course nobody is going to make a big fuss about that so as not to appear silly to the watch investor community.

Offline c4all

« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2020, 01:21:29 PM »
It may not be tanking but i noticed prices for the new submariners are being adjusted almost weekly at the grey market dealers. I guess people are not buying them at the exorbitant prices. Would they face the fate of the Batgirl, i wonder...One thing is for sure is that it will not touch retail but who knows?

Offline W3ll

« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2020, 07:38:20 AM »
It may not be tanking but i noticed prices for the new submariners are being adjusted almost weekly at the grey market dealers. I guess people are not buying them at the exorbitant prices. Would they face the fate of the Batgirl, i wonder...One thing is for sure is that it will not touch retail but who knows?

With the crazy hype out prices now , for sure the price will slowly being adjust down. paying RM95K for a Green bezel? zzz

Offline c4all

« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2020, 07:55:59 AM »

With the crazy hype out prices now , for sure the price will slowly being adjust down. paying RM95K for a Green bezel? zzz

Agreed. Prices started out too crazy.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2020, 06:34:59 PM »

You can't blame the grey dealers for trying to fleece buyers... they look at previous trends and expect the demand. No doubt price is going down but I hear there were a lot of initial pieces that sold at those asking prices.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2020, 06:57:45 PM »
Willing seller willing buyer..

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2020, 01:16:21 PM »
Was doing a bit of window shopping at the grey market over the weekend. Rolex is simply too hot right now. Back in June, just right after MCO, Sub Date and Black GMT II are going for roughly RM47-55k range. In the span of less than 3 months, all sport models have shot up at least RM8-10K in the grey.

Today any Sub date/GMT II easily go for RM55-60K range; the Batgirl/Batman easily RM70K+

The new Subs are RM60-65K and the new Sub LV is RM95K.

I'm also on watch forums in the US and Taiwan. It seems that Rolex grey prices are shooting up simultaneously across the world. I'm glad I was able to purchase the models that I wanted before this crazy spike. Don't know when the market will calm and correct itself, probably a long time.

Walked into a few ADs as well, they all universally have only Lady's TT Datejusts and some Men's TT Datejusts left.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2020, 06:17:26 PM »
The pandemic really favors Rolex crazy pricings...

Soon we can expect RM90-100K SS sub if more incoming c19 waves...

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2020, 10:12:41 PM »
at least we're seeing the newer 41mm sub prices coming down little by little among the grey dealers...they are starting to realize not too many people willing to fork out that kinda money for those models out there...haha

Offline Cocas

« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2020, 10:38:38 PM »
at least we're seeing the newer 41mm sub prices coming down little by little among the grey dealers...they are starting to realize not too many people willing to fork out that kinda money for those models out there...haha

Yes, the 126300 AD price is EUR 7300, about MYR 35k. But now Malaysia grey market dealer is selling it at MYR 33k.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2020, 12:35:45 PM »

The 126610LV was going at near 100k when it was available in the market. It is not around 80k. I guess it really can come down. Question is how much lower will it go?

Meanwhile the 116610LV are also coming down a little.

Lately have seen a lot more people posting their sport ROLEX but unsure if they got it from ADs or grey dealers.

Offline DrSyazli

« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2020, 07:35:55 PM »
The second hand price is really going up, been looking at the Kermit though

Offline swleong

« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2020, 08:06:33 AM »
I will never look at Rolex the same again.

When I see somebody is wearing a modern Rolex now, I only see a pile of cash on their wrist, no longer a time piece.

Gone are the days where I admire the design of the engineering works, the use of new material, the robust in-house movement, the brand history.

:Blue:

Offline cvl003

• Freshie
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2020, 10:34:42 AM »

When I see somebody is wearing a modern Rolex now, I only see a pile of cash on their wrist, no longer a time piece.

Gone are the days where I admire the design of the engineering works, the use of new material, the robust in-house movement, the brand history.

Agree wt Bro said, now Rolex pricing is too much insane increasing, not justify the premium price. Compared to my 1st purchase Rolex since 6yrs ago, the pricing is still worth buying wt sales rep still can give additional discount @5%(my 114060). Now i am more to Japanese watch eg:Seiko cos it has more varieties to choose and worth (more or less) the price of the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dpkong

« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2020, 11:38:04 AM »

That sounds like you're just bitter about the lack of stock at AD and the premiums by grey sellers. Eventually, you would get a chance to buy one at retail and the brand would have redeemed itself.

Offline swleong

« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2020, 12:18:48 PM »

That sounds like you're just bitter about the lack of stock at AD and the premiums by grey sellers. Eventually, you would get a chance to buy one at retail and the brand would have redeemed itself.

Bitter about it, yes of course.

I still like Rolex.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2020, 03:27:24 PM »
One can forget about getting any sport model or rrp from Rolex Malaysia. Can only buy from grey....