Author Topic: New affordable automatic watch from Swatch  (Read 15091 times)

Offline Laktos Kid

New affordable automatic watch from Swatch
« on: January 21, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »
The movement was introduced last year by Swatch but it is not sold here yet in bolehland. The name itself is based on the 51 parts which made up the movement and will be priced around 100-200 USD and has a power reserve of 90 hours :Startled:. And form their official websites only few models come with this movement, hopefully in the future it will come with stainless steel case.

What do you guys, girls and sifus think of this new movement ? I myself do not own any mechanical watch, yet. But am interested to know what do you guys think of this compare to the affordable Seiko 5 movement. Would anyone buy just because it is manufactured in Swiss ? I am thinking of getting an affordable mechanical dress watch  :Cheers:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:02:54 PM by Laktos Kid »

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
Re: New affordable automatic watch from Swatch
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 04:31:11 PM »
Would u dispose it or send for service If the service cost is 100-200usd when it due for service 5 years later?

Offline TheWatchMan

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 05:25:42 PM »
I just happened to buy my son a Swatch watch last week and was told the earliest arrival could be in mid-Feb or Mar. Sistem 51 is an exciting watch and many will be curious to get themselves a very reasonable automatic watch. Will see how it performs soon.

Offline Everdying

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 05:37:06 PM »
i dont think sistem51 is serviceable.
plus from what swatch tells me, it wont be coming to malaysia anytime soon.

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 04:52:02 AM »
I'd rather have a Seiko, who have been doing this (basic auto watches for the everyman) for 50 years.  They know what they're doing, and they do it very well.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
I believe sistem51 is a sealed unit - supposed to be service free - but can anything last forever?
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »
If I may jump in here, coming from someone who used to collect those limited Swatches >20 yrs ago.
The novelty wears off after a very short while and I ended up never wearing them and disposing all of them after a while.
Looking back I think its a stage we go through. I was attracted to them at a much younger age but getting older it just doesn't fit the age profile anymore and I wonder what it was that attracted me in the first place.
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 06:46:44 PM »
found a topic almost the same as this in watchxseek and a lot of people seem to be fascinated by the introduction of swatch system 51 or aka the "affordable watch" from swiss. For me, maybe it caught my attention a little bit more since i first saw the news at ablog2watch is because i do not own any mechanical watches let alone swiss watches.

I was looking at the Tissot powermatic and suddenly i realize this has 10 hour more power reserve. It's really exciting even though the design of the watch is "a bit" childish and funky but that's swatch. For people who is fond of colourful g-shocks i guess that's ok... will wait for the watch to show up here in Malaysia to have a closer look at it  ;)

Offline joharimuhidin

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
I bought a swatch watch as a birthday present to my daughter early jan this year but the machine was stop running. I lost the warranty card as I went back to the swatch shop in Melaka Malaysia and told me that there is a mechanical problem. You have to produce the warranty card in order to get the replacement. I told them that I am willing to pay for the repair cost as I have lost the card. Unfortunately, the said that the is no repair policy unless I could produce the warranty card to them. I promise to myself that I will never ever buy this type of watch in my life as this watch is totally a scrap for me now.

Offline pratz123

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »
Looks totally like how a Swatch would look like. And for that price point, it's quite fair. I think this is a very personal and objective buy. Personally, I'd just a get a regular Swatch for half the price.

Offline Calibr

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 01:30:24 PM »
I bought a swatch watch as a birthday present to my daughter early jan this year but the machine was stop running. I lost the warranty card as I went back to the swatch shop in Melaka Malaysia and told me that there is a mechanical problem. You have to produce the warranty card in order to get the replacement. I told them that I am willing to pay for the repair cost as I have lost the card. Unfortunately, the said that the is no repair policy unless I could produce the warranty card to them. I promise to myself that I will never ever buy this type of watch in my life as this watch is totally a scrap for me now.

A Seiko is better any time, anywhere, in terms of serviceability.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »
More Sistem 51 varieties now.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »
The designed is a permanent sealed movement. Once there is a problem it is just replaced. Swatch has marketed the Sistem51 as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline kfkwan

• Freshie
  • You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 08:09:24 PM »
I have one as a watch collection of mine. I hardly wear it. Only for a casual yamcha session with buddies.

Offline vinorus

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 02:17:53 PM »
I have owned an Irony Automatic Steel Case before, I love the design and I think it looks slightly better to me than 51 system series...
The Daytona C in Steel is my dream watch now...

Offline kfkwan

• Freshie
  • You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 09:27:56 PM »
Looking forward for the New Sistem 51 in steel casing. :D

Offline lee882888

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »
So this watch better or look else where for affordable automatics

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 08:48:11 AM »
IMHO, the construction and finishing on the movement is terrible.

A RM200+ seiko 5 movement looks way better than what the Sistem 51 looks like.
Seiko fan.....

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »
Seiko 5 still won my vote, compared to the simple and maybe a "plastic" construction of System 51. Not at the same level, IMHO. Sorry to the System 51 lovers.. just my 2cent.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »
Will cast my vote for Seiko 5 too. In terms of robustness, Seiko 5 will beat on and on. System 51 was IMHO more of a fad and fashion, and to show that Swiss autos could be produced at low production cost too (but then, it's a simple system with one-screw-holds-all ).
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »
Will cast my vote for Seiko 5 too. In terms of robustness, Seiko 5 will beat on and on. System 51 was IMHO more of a fad and fashion, and to show that Swiss autos could be produced at low production cost too (but then, it's a simple system with one-screw-holds-all ).

Actually I did observe the movement, it is esentially not a one screw holds all.

Just in certain areas screws are replaced by rivets.
Seiko fan.....

Offline Hafisjasni

• Mafi Muskilaa
    • Facebook HafisJasni
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 07:01:10 AM »
I would buy if they built one with stainless steel bracelet..

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk

Currently in the line up :

1. Breitling Superocean 44mm
2. Sevenfriday M2/2
3. Suunto All-Black Core
4. Citizen Bracelet :)

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 08:07:06 AM »
I would buy if they built one with stainless steel bracelet..

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk

Swatch is expected to launch the new System51 Irony with stainless steel bracelet in September/October this year. The RRP should be in the range of USD195 to USD235.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 08:09:14 AM »
Seen the pictures and they looked like standard Irony pieces. But at those prices and in s/s now, it would make a better choice compared to the plasticky ones.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »
Swatch is like Rolex. You have to experience it at least once in your watch life. I've already experienced Rolex and have it out of my system.
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1