Author Topic: What To Wear & Style When Visiting the Watch Shop?  (Read 53443 times)

Offline G.MAC

Re: What To Wear & Style When Visiting the Watch Shop?
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 09:08:54 PM »
Well, I tend to agree that most of the SAs that I encounter would very politely and courteously layan my queries if the piece wrapped around my wrist is either an Omega or Rolex. Except one stupid and arrogant lady SA in SgWang with whom I dealt with on a Blackbird Luminox. When I asked to handle the watch, she acted as if I'm a kampung boy that wanted to run away with it. "That one is RM10,000 you know". Shite! :Scolding:
If the SA talk to me like that, I would tell him/her," I know. I have bought watches more expensive than this watch even." I dont care if i sound arrogant or unreasonable. That is one insult too far. A friend of mine did that when the SA ridicule him for wanting to get a hublot till he demanded that a different SA tend to him and he bought the hublot right in front of the offending SA but through a different SA. 
:Laughing_on_floor:
In your face disrespectful SA.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline MadZiZ

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »
G.MAC good one for your friend lol!!! Sometimes the rude ones deserve it so:P  :thumbsup:

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 09:30:30 PM »
The best part was when the CIMB World Mastercard came out.  :Laughing_on_floor:
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 10:13:30 PM »
Well, I tend to agree that most of the SAs that I encounter would very politely and courteously layan my queries if the piece wrapped around my wrist is either an Omega or Rolex. Except one stupid and arrogant lady SA in SgWang with whom I dealt with on a Blackbird Luminox. When I asked to handle the watch, she acted as if I'm a kampung boy that wanted to run away with it. "That one is RM10,000 you know". Shite! :Scolding:
If the SA talk to me like that, I would tell him/her," I know. I have bought watches more expensive than this watch even." I dont care if i sound arrogant or unreasonable. That is one insult too far. A friend of mine did that when the SA ridicule him for wanting to get a hublot till he demanded that a different SA tend to him and he bought the hublot right in front of the offending SA but through a different SA. 

ahhh...maybe this is part of the ploy...good SA, bad SA...serve with bad SA 1st to trigger your anger...then serve with good SA make u think u revenge on bad SA so u die die also wanna buy in front of the bad SA...in the end, profit from commission split 50/50  ;D ;D

Offline wslee

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 11:07:06 PM »
If you were thinking of Fortis should have told us, if you see in our GTG section we have a forum "friend" who has a shop in Bangsar.
Always great service and good prices.
few of us bought from there before.

So where is the wrist shoot of your new watch? hehe

Now it feels right after visiting the technician. Need to gain some weight .. hehehehhe  :Praying:

Bro Krusell,

I had this watch as well.Wear it on daily basis
My first expensive watch but i had changed the strap
Hehehe!!!
 :Cheers:

Offline rusminag

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 12:28:36 AM »

ahhh...maybe this is part of the ploy...good SA, bad SA...serve with bad SA 1st to trigger your anger...then serve with good SA make u think u revenge on bad SA so u die die also wanna buy in front of the bad SA...in the end, profit from commission split 50/50  ;D ;D
:HammerHead: :Scolding: :angel: :Cheers:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:31:15 AM by rusminag »
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline krusell

• Freshie
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 05:30:45 AM »

Bro Krusell,
I had this watch as well.Wear it on daily basis
My first expensive watch but i had changed the strap
Hehehe!!!

Well that is good.. Care to share your wrist shot? I'm been thinking to get a spare strap but dunno what would suit. Can suggest to me bro? ;D
"Happy are they that can hear their detractions and put them to mending"

Offline brolex

• Why so serious?
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2011, 07:49:01 AM »
I brought RM30,000 cash in 10s (make you look even richer) - dressed in T-shirt, 3/4 shorts and bata slippers - to the store in my Macpac backpack. Then I took the money out and displayed in on the glass case. wah laow....The SAs were queuing up like i was the ferris wheel ride at the local kampong funfair. I picked the hottest SA there to layan me.

After I picked the watch that i want, I THREW THE MONEY IN HER FACE. I said, "Nah... ni tiga pulo ribu, you keep the chen (it was like 100 bucks or so in change; she had patiently put up with my monkey antics)... lepas ni lu pi main jauh-jauh." While she picked up the money off the floor, I checked out her lovely behind.

The end.
So, in the nutshell, the finer things in life does not have to be the most expensive or exotic item or place one could have.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 08:02:54 AM »
mine say hello  ;D

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 08:56:12 AM »
Tips on how to be taken seriously in a watch shop

No matter what you wear, when you enter a watch shop always look serious. Enter the shop like you have a singular purpose and head towards the most expensive watch available (or brand for the matter) directly without looking at the SAs. Lean extremely close to the glass display cabinet and flick out a small note pad and a start shifting your eyes from pad to watch and back again a number of times.

For the SAs, your action denotes the characteristics of a "very serious buyer". Within a few seconds you will have SAs lining up to serve you. :Dancing_banana:

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »
Tips on how to be taken seriously in a watch shop

No matter what you wear, when you enter a watch shop always look serious. Enter the shop like you have a singular purpose and head towards the most expensive watch available (or brand for the matter) directly without looking at the SAs. Lean extremely close to the glass display cabinet and flick out a small note pad and a start shifting your eyes from pad to watch and back again a number of times.

For the SAs, your action denotes the characteristics of a "very serious buyer". Within a few seconds you will have SAs lining up to serve you. :Dancing_banana:
Sounds like it might work...  ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »
Brolex: I believe you would do such things  :Jumping:

I think you go in and do what you need to do. Pretty much anywhere is the same, I went to the Rolex AD in Auckland also buat tak layan as well. Had a go at a few watches and left, no hard feelings :) Another AD opposite the street was more courteous, still didn't get anything haha :Laughing_on_floor:

Interesting comments though
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »
Most of the time when I do window shopping in the Klang valley, I make do with my ¾ pants and t-shirt and of course my err,,rollie. Sorry, I have flipped most of my collections to rollies these days….

As you know, I would just push open the boutique doors (if any) and walk in ….without looking at any of the SA.

I would go straight to the brand that caught my eyes. Most of the times, the SA will approach me and asked if they can assists and I would say no, and let me look around.

The SA will leave me alone, until I signal them to show me a particular piece.

Of course, I will ask a lot of information about the watch including the technical view point. If I continue to show interest, I will ask the SA to take it out and let me feel and touch the watch.

After a few primarily exchanged, I will ask whether this piece is a controlled price structure and if not, what the best discounted rates are offered.

Normally, in this junction, the SA would not said anything offensive (quote; like are you going to buy it or not) If she /he does, they will be sorry, for I am going to raise all hell – until the manager steps in, Remember, the customer is always right.

So, what you wear when walking into a watch shop is not an issue to me….so far. Maybe it could be due to the right watch, I wear at the right time….my 2 cents

dc
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:43:22 PM by David_cheong »
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 01:35:35 PM »
who cares what attitude ADs give me.... I am a small fry who does not buy enough to warrant them to know me by first name basis.

as long as the price is good..... you can give me dead father's face. maybe i would walk in once every 10 years? and i would not be seeing the same guy again.

I kinda consign the fact that the ppl who does not take pride in their work would no go far in their personal and professional life. so be it then.

so for me...? i wear what i like cause i walk into ADs and tell them before hand i am just browsing if i do not intend to buy or be honest with them and tell them i am comparing a few watches with a view to buy but just need to strap it on the wrist to determine if i have the "feel"....................................

as i said i am not a "big shot buyer" that requires extra service...you can give me the bad service and i would trade that off for a big fat discount and have a nice meal with my friends and family.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline siodee

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 02:55:42 PM »
I went to the Expo in Bangkok, my experience with the CS is very good, when you stand in front of their counter, they will greet you with "Sawadika", then follow with Thai Language, then I replied "Sorry, I dont understand". The next line will be "Please try", I was like  :o....damn sure I will try on my wrist  ;D

After you finish and passed it back to them, they will replied "kob kun krab" (Thanks for trying)  :thumbsup:

The only counter I cant tried the watches are those with Ang Mo around, you look at him/ her and he/ she will look at you back, I guess they can read my mind "Please don't ask me to take out the watches and let you try"  :Laughing_on_floor:

Totally different experience, just my 12 cents worth
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline chin

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 03:04:04 PM »
I went to the Expo in Bangkok, my experience with the CS is very good, when you stand in front of their counter, they will greet you with "Sawadika", then follow with Thai Language, then I replied "Sorry, I dont understand". The next line will be "Please try", I was like  :o....damn sure I will try on my wrist  ;D

After you finish and passed it back to them, they will replied "kob kun krab" (Thanks for trying)  :thumbsup:

The only counter I cant tried the watches are those with Ang Mo around, you look at him/ her and he/ she will look at you back, I guess they can read my mind "Please don't ask me to take out the watches and let you try"  :Laughing_on_floor:

Good1.... probably to the Thai u look like a rich tourist (Singaporean or Japo???) but to the angmo u look like an annoying 3rd world expat stealing his job  :Mad:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 03:12:51 PM »
the Thai's market for high end watches are larger than Malaysia's so she prob thinks u are a rich local and not some poor foreign tourist who thinks that they are some big shot travelling to Thailand
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline siodee

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 03:43:59 PM »

Good1.... probably to the Thai u look like a rich tourist (Singaporean or Japo???) but to the angmo u look like an annoying 3rd world expat stealing his job  :Mad:
the Thai's market for high end watches are larger than Malaysia's so she prob thinks u are a rich local and not some poor foreign tourist who thinks that they are some big shot travelling to Thailand

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: I was wearing T-shirt, short pant and slipper, with Seiko on my wrist.
Terrence, you are right, their Pre-owned shop alone in one mall are more than 5 in different corner...

Offline ykl

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 05:02:12 PM »
most of the time wearing short pant, g-shock, slipper in, different time got different treatment, sometime good, sometime bad even in the same shop, is really depend of what type of SA we meet i think...
Omega PO2500
Seiko Chronograph
G-shock

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
recently i went to one of the rolex AD in abu dhabi to check out the latest sub and other rolex design plus pricing, i was wearing my 1999 sub and my other purposes is to compare my current sub design against the new design and also current market price. the SA awared my intention and he answered all my queries politely.  ;D
watchManU

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
From my experience, if u walk in to the AD and ask them certain models that u're interested and if they have it or not, then they will start treating u nicely or give some sales talk.

If u go in, the SA ask, "May I help u? and you reply "just take a look", and later on if you really caught an eye on a certain piece and wanna try it, u can tell from the look of their eyes like they're not prepared to take it out for you.

One time, I just walk to the AP boutique, just ask them "do u have the diver"? Then they started "yes, yes", and all the sales talk comes in and insist that you try it on. Had other similar experience like this....

Another interesting experience is I have to argue with the SA to prove the model of the watch. I went in to an AD and the counter is displaying PAMs. The poster for that counter was showing a 351 but I mistook it for a 312. So, when I asks the lady SA, do u have the 312 like the one on the poster? She said "NO and that's not a 312, that's a 351. Well, the colour of the poster can't really shows the watch is titanium 351. So I said, ok, the 312 is similar to the 351 except it's not in titanium and the dial & hand colours are different. She said "NO, the 312 is not like this, it is totally different watch, different case. After few exchanges of words, she still insists that the 312 is totally different to the 351 as she has sold the 312 last year.

KNN....she want to bull me or what? Then I thought to myself, why bother and walk away!!!

Offline brolex

• Why so serious?
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2011, 03:40:46 AM »
You guys are suggesting that only watch geeks get attention at watch stores. That is the bull right there. If I was a sales consultant, this niche market would be the one I would stay away from.

Which, of course, reasserts my priori opinion that watch salespeople generally have the worst salesmanship around.

Or perhaps customers should be honest, tell him/her what your budget is and enquire about the range of products that fits the bill. And a shot of vaccine against self-entitlement probably helps a lot, too.
So, in the nutshell, the finer things in life does not have to be the most expensive or exotic item or place one could have.

Offline JPSP

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
i think there're always bad sheeps that have eyes on their forehead. In singapore, i'll never go to any [No mention of AD name - Mod] because they're well known for "see u no up" attitude.

I just stick to 2 ADs and talk/buy to 1 sales rep of each AD only. Up to the point now, i just sms them what's the best price after discount and they'll just sms/call me back. If the price is right, i'll just tell them when i'll pick up the watch. They both know i compare prices between them because i've always been very upfront with them. I also make it a point that i buy 1-2 watches from them every year so that they know i'm still a "regular" client and i don't shop around. Well, i don't abuse the system so i sms them only when i want to buy something. After i bought the watch, i'll swing by the other AD to let him know i bought it from his competitor because his price is not right. It's not flaunting but merely reminding him that i'm a serious buyer.

It's now based on the understanding that we're on "no nonsense and i won't call to negotiate with you so you better quote me the best price" basis.

If there're times when the prices quoted to me are above my budget, i'll tell them straight that i need a longer time to commit because i'm waiting for my next paycheck or bonus. I'll tell them roughly when i'll get back to them. We build trust along the way..

sometimes, sticking to just 1 SA and give business to specific ADs have its benefits and you don't have to face those black sheeps nor do you need to worry whether you're in berms/suits or what's on yr wrist.

just my humble opinions
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:37:12 PM by takashi78 »

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2011, 05:49:56 PM »
 :thumbsup: jpsp
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline krusell

• Freshie
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »
Good opinion  :thumbsup:
"Happy are they that can hear their detractions and put them to mending"