Author Topic: Review : Seiko Prospex MarineMaster Rose Gold SBDX014  (Read 12276 times)

Offline toolkit21

Review : Seiko Prospex MarineMaster Rose Gold SBDX014
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:12:21 PM »
The first Tuna that got me hooked on was the long discontinued Golden Tuna, that’s made back in the 70’s and 80’s. What you can find online nowadays are really really used. Rare to get a good condition and working piece. An alternative would be the SBDB008 that’s a Spring Drive derived Golden Tuna but still it doesn’t capture the original’s cohesiveness. I instead bought a SBBN017 (steel bezel and shroud) to get a feel of Tuna. Did a review here (somewhere). Loved it but was commented on that its a little small.

Fast forward to 2015, specifically August, Seiko made a dream come true when they launched this SBDX014 Rose Gold Tuna to mark Seiko’s 50th anniversary in marketing their dive watch. Its the closest I could get my hands on a Gold Tuna. But at a pretty pricey offer (350,000 yen, about RM12,500).

First time I tried it on, it is MASSIVELY HUGE to look at (of course it is when compared to the SBBN017 I was used to looking for a year, which by the way was sold to a nice gentleman to make way for this). I won’t bore with the numbers comparison of the 2 watches, but will indicate my wrist is 6.5” and I’m 6’ tall. Large for my wrist (at first) but not my frame.

From the few days after wearing, I got used to the size. There’s no long lugs like a Pelagos, its hidden from view, making the Rose Gold Tuna wear comfortably. It doesn’t bling as much as a SBDB009 (which I also tried while deciding with this purchase). The Rose Gold tints subtly and not in-your-face glare.

The extra strength silicone strap was way way much better than SBBN017 rubber strap. I swapped the previous SBBN017 rubber strap for an Isofrane which sat and hugged the wrist so well. Surprisingly this Rose Gold silicone strap feels much softer, durable and ‘extra strength’, that’s slightly thicker than the rubber, but still thinner than an Isofrane. Am still deciding what Isofrane strap color to match it with.

Specifications are similar to an Emperor Tuna (SBDX011) except for the Rose Gold additions. The 2 tone colors match perfectly in my opinion, not just an all black look. Love it that the screws, bezel, keeper and buckle are in Rose Gold, I think all are made of titanium (kindly correct if I’m wrong).

Its accuracy has been about +5-7 seconds a day right out of the box. I’m not hoping much even after breaking in for few weeks, well at least its close to COSC standards (-4 to +6 seconds per 24hr). Probably it can get to Rolex’s Superlative COSC (-1 to +5 seconds per 24hr) accuracy.

As a side note, I tested the Tuna against my Pelagos, and the Tudor timepiece is +3 seconds, which for an ETA2824 movement is amazing!!! Rolex/Tudor manufacturing standards I must say is really above par. Pelagos clocked 42 hours (ETA2824 officially at 40 hours) and Rose Gold Tuna clocked 57 hours (8L35 officially at 50 hours) of power reserve, from full wind until full stop (lying down, untouched).

I like winding the crown because there’s just that fine resistance when you turn the crown. Its a unique feeling compared to all other normal watch winding as it is. If you get a chance, do try it out. When it locks, its tight. However if the ‘X’ logo had been engraved (its printed now), it’ll be a more prominent feature which many will like. Like how the ’S’ worked before.

Titanium and ceramics (and an ‘L’ rubber gasket) used is the order of the day when it comes to resistance towards water, knocks and pressure (its gone 3,000M under sea before it stopped). Holding within this mono bloc case is the 8L35 movement that’s an undecorated Grand Seiko derived automatic timepiece. I also love the fact that this is hand assembled in Shizuku-Ishi Watch Studio in Japan, even though it may be a novelty factor.

Overall I’m pretty stoked at getting this amazingly made piece, mostly because of the gold accent too. Its probably going to be a keeper along with the Tudor Pelagos (in the dive watch section).

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Re: Review : Seiko Prospex MarineMaster Rose Gold SBDX014
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:54:28 PM »
Super comprehensive and great review! Nice watch!

Bold move to own the watch as it can get you the entry level GS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 04:19:14 AM »
I did consider GS but only their GMT and Chronograph moves me. And those are double and triple in price. Maybe make do with this for now. Thank you for the comments

Offline antoniosaprozeld

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 01:01:40 PM »
Yeah congratss.. always wanted to get d cream de la creme.. but i dont dare.. that price for a seiko.. when so much more alternative at that price..

Turn back time, would u have done it again? No regrets?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 01:24:12 PM »
I guess I've tried a number of watch choices to know what i really want. And It has always been a piece which I've always wished for, so I doubt I'd regret.

I find that if a watch piece has a value that's right for you, the price is right too.

Thank you for the comments

Offline antoniosaprozeld

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
Great conviction toolkit.. mind sharing ard that 12k-13k range, whats the other brand new comparables that you've tried? & how would you compare d build quality to d sbdx014?

Dont get me wrong ya.. i might folo ur lead

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 02:55:46 PM »
Thank you for the comments.

Tudor Pelagos (1st gen) would be an ok choice, if you don't mind it for its ETA movement (and a fabulously accurate one, to my surprise). Somehow don't like the busy dial of 2nd gen, despite a new-ish in house movement.

Am slowly building towards a Rolex GMT and Jaeger LeCoultre range.

Offline antoniosaprozeld

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
If not mistaken, another sifu here had written good review on the unit right, meoramri?

That's 2 & sure warrants some serious attention..

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 07:20:05 AM »
Meor has some nice reviews. It's a different Prospex if I remember correctly. Any solid advise on JDM, he's the man

Offline Timeless

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 05:41:08 PM »
Like the rose gold material, looks classy

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 06:51:58 AM »
thanks for writing us a good review, thanks

rosegold mixing with black is sexy, especially for a serious diving watch!

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 09:12:38 AM »
Very good review and pics toolkit. Note you also posted in WUS. Why did you choose the one and not SBDX016 if you like rose gold so much? the increase is marginal and you will get a limited edition and the brown really looks sweet. Congrats.

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 09:52:39 AM »
Yeah posted there too. Foreign and local responses are different.

Thank you for the comments.

The 014 was my initial choice as it resembles the original Golden Tuna. Whereas LE of 016 was a bit too blingy for me. Also, coz I couldn't get to try it when in Tokyo. If I had, I may get that.

A couple of Singaporeans are selling theirs, if you're interested. Search watchrecon for it

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 05:24:26 AM »
016 just Too much gold for a diver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 05:48:21 AM »
Agreed. The bling will scare the fishes away, or probably get robbed by a pack of sharks. Hahaha... Just joking

Offline antoniosaprozeld

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
R u selling this toolkit? Or u had a second unit?

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 03:41:48 PM »
Have a 2nd unit. New unused.
Bought 2 in Tokyo coz friend wanted. Then bugger changed mind

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 03:21:43 PM »
Wrist shots on Isofrane orange. Wrist size 6.5", height 6'. Yeah, small wrist for frame
Comfortable on both Isofrane and original silicone strap.

Offline Kent3888

• Time does not Wait
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 07:32:06 AM »
Dear TS, can you kindly share/pm me where you grab this piece and the damage?

Offline Frogman

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 08:41:02 AM »
May I know the strap size?

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
Its 22mm on RS buckle.

Generally RS buckle is better flushed compared to IN buckle. Won't dig into skin and feels more solid. Albeit at a higher cost.

Offline T816B

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 10:18:31 AM »
Toolkit 21, where is a good place to view Seiko Tuna in KL?

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2016, 10:19:48 AM »
I've seen it before in Mid Valley Mall. I think the shop is called AWG, located near an escalator

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 10:20:35 AM »
I've seen it before in Mid Valley Mall. I think the shop is called AWG, located near an escalator

Offline T816B

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »
Thanks mate.